Edinburgh Bus Lanes - 7am to 7PM

Stuart Lyon

Stuart Lyon

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburgh-bus-lanes-set-to-become-operational-seven-days-a-week-from-7am-to-7pm-3752248

Absolute nonsense! These lanes will be empty outside of this period and the other lanes congested causing  more pollution.  How many will abandon their cars and use buses or the vanity term? 

On top of that they are continuing to pursue a Work Place Parking charge. Trying to outdo McInnes!

Councillors will be OK they'll just jump in a taxi.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

The Real Maroonblood

There’s not a mention of the over 250 utilities, roadworks, temporary traffic lights etc causing hold ups and contributing to pollution and congestion.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

The Real Maroonblood
38 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Indeed. I’d imagine that, by now, traffic jams, fuel costs, parking headaches and so on have stripped the majority of folk who can use public transport out of their cars. Further nonsense like this is simply a) keeping the Greens onside and b) going to hurt those who genuinely need vehicles for work.

I suppose tradesmen are just supposed to carry their tools onto the #31 each morning, aye? Or mobile care workers ought to just see fewer clients each day as they wait for a #26 to maybe turn up. 

The clowncil haven’t a clue.

Jeffros Furios

As it stands I don't  think many  people choose to leave thier car and take the bus due to bus lanes making thier journey quicker .

Sitting on a smelly bus full of unhygienic welts playing shite music or having phone  conversations over taking your car ?

I'd I'd scrap bus and some cycle  lanes  (especially Longstone)as they cause more congestion and don't bring any tangible benefits.

The Greens need locked up as do any councilors voting this through .. they need named and shamed .

Dennis Reynolds

I don't really have an issue with bus lanes tbh but this seems mental. 

The bigger issue is enforcement imo. An even bigger issue than that though is the general state of the roads and the ridiculous amount of roadworks. It's easier just to extend bus lane times though and think you're fixing the issue.

In my experience of driving around Edinburgh I rarely see people using bus lanes when they are not operational. Most drivers seem to prefer to drive on the outside lane anyway. 

Therefore I'm not sure there will be a huge effect on traffic congestion. Seems like a move that will have zero effect on anything to me. 

davemclaren
40 minutes ago, dtgj said:

In my experience of driving around Edinburgh I rarely see people using bus lanes when they are not operational. Most drivers seem to prefer to drive on the outside lane anyway. 

Therefore I'm not sure there will be a huge effect on traffic congestion. Seems like a move that will have zero effect on anything to me. 

Yip. 

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Smelly bus rider. 😎

Na I don't live in Edinburgh and it seems to have wound up the usual 'vanity tram' seethers :lol: 

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Na I don't live in Edinburgh and it seems to have wound up the usual 'vanity tram' seethers :lol: 

True. 🤣

They need to stop people parking in the bus lane on Queen Street along at the bus station. It often takes 10+mins to get along to the lights. Some drivers are petty as **** when they see you coming along they move onto the white line so you can't get past.

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

They need to stop people parking in the bus lane on Queen Street along at the bus station. It often takes 10+mins to get along to the lights. Some drivers are petty as **** when they see you coming along they move onto the white line so you can't get past.

It’s a while since I’ve been down that way so nothing has changed.

Angry Haggis

I have no specific input into the thread point per say as the actual data needs (if there is any) needs fully understood to arrive at a conclusion if this would be benefical or not. 

However one suggestion - if you want to change the dynamic of road use in central Edinburgh to encourage more use of public transport reduce less private transport why not make public transport free to use? Or at least try it and gather the data - ala spaces for people? 

How to fund free public transport of course is an interesting question. Still, other European cities have free public transport for citizens. 

1 hour ago, Angry Haggis said:

I have no specific input into the thread point per say as the actual data needs (if there is any) needs fully understood to arrive at a conclusion if this would be benefical or not. 

However one suggestion - if you want to change the dynamic of road use in central Edinburgh to encourage more use of public transport reduce less private transport why not make public transport free to use? Or at least try it and gather the data - ala spaces for people? 

How to fund free public transport of course is an interesting question. Still, other European cities have free public transport for citizens. 

We have gone some way towards this. Under 21s can now get free bus travel if they apply for a pass.

Looks like the new council are keen on retaining the spaces for people measures, given the leading nature of this tweet.

The Gorgie

Drove with lothian buses for nearly 5 years, I got the impression people don't understand how bus lanes work so they just avoid them. Glad I no longer work or drive in Edinburgh, many many things need sorting, bus lanes aint one of them.

Sooperstar
9 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Drove with lothian buses for nearly 5 years, I got the impression people don't understand how bus lanes work so they just avoid them. Glad I no longer work or drive in Edinburgh, many many things need sorting, bus lanes aint one of them.

That's absolutely the case. The number of drivers you see trundling along in the inside lane and then swerving into the outside lane when they get to the Greenway, at 12 o'clock in the afternoon, is ridiculous. 

Mark_Mywords
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Looks like the new council are keen on retaining the spaces for people measures, given the leading nature of this tweet.

The council probably can't afford to remove all the spaces for people measures.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

What a lot of pish.

Weakened Offender
6 hours ago, cheetah said:

😁

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

That's absolutely the case. The number of drivers you see trundling along in the inside lane and then swerving into the outside lane when they get to the Greenway, at 12 o'clock in the afternoon, is ridiculous. 

Calder Road is a good example of that happening. I'm quite happy that they do as it leaves the bus lanes clear for me to overtake them on the inside. 

been here before
5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Calder Road is a good example of that happening. I'm quite happy that they do as it leaves the bus lanes clear for me to overtake them on the inside. 

Best road by far for doing that. It still staggers me how many drivers still dont know about driving in bus lanes.

Great coming off one of the Calder Road roundabouts and the car(s) in front drift over to the right hand lane upon seeing the bus lane, leaving a nice clear lane to cruise along while they sit in the traffic :lol:

Slateford Road is quite good too from just before the BP garage. Got to be careful though not to get caught out behind a bus at the bus stop by Asda though.

9 hours ago, dtgj said:

That’s just a driving issue. People don’t pay attention.

I don’t believe for a minute that every time I drive home it’s a non-Edinburgh resident trying to turn back into the inside lane at the end of the bus lane because he/she isn’t aware of the hours🤷🏼‍♂️.   That alone can cause daft wee moments of awkwardness or traffic backing up unnecessarily.  

The bus lane is just a normal driving lane outside bus lane hours.  It’s not hard to understand.  Sound like a p###k there but it really grates me😂

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Best road by far for doing that. It still staggers me how many drivers still dont know about driving in bus lanes.

Great coming off one of the Calder Road roundabouts and the car(s) in front drift over to the right hand lane upon seeing the bus lane, leaving a nice clear lane to cruise along while they sit in the traffic :lol:

Slateford Road is quite good too from just before the BP garage. Got to be careful though not to get caught out behind a bus at the bus stop by Asda though.

Beat me to it.  Just posted similar.  

Nucky Thompson
4 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Totally agree, it's a pain in the arse.

Going by the latest tweets, it's obvious that Labour were/are the instigators in this council of arseholes 

Edited by Nucky Thompson

fabienleclerq
On 01/07/2022 at 12:30, Herbert. said:

It's one of the dumbest Road layouts I've ever seen.

Bus lane on the left until 20 yards before the bus station which is a right turn. Compounded by the straight on going down to one lane meaning both lanes have to swap sides in a 20 yard space.

On 01/07/2022 at 20:28, been here before said:

It still staggers me how many drivers still dont know about driving

You don't actually need that bit about the bus lanes.  There are so many people on the road who have ****ing no idea what they are doing.

On 01/07/2022 at 20:29, Debut 4 said:  

The bus lane is just a normal driving lane outside bus lane hours.  It’s not hard to understand.  Sound like a p###k there but it really grates me😂

while that’s technically true, out of the 3 bus lanes that I regularly drive along, only one of them has a surface actually safe to drive on! 

Queensferry Road coming in from fife past Crammond Brig, use all the time

Telford Road and Commercial Street I just don’t use due to the potholes/broken up surface near the kerb

Also the commercial street one heading to ocean terminal is another example of Terrible layout, bus lane ends 20m before the junction where 80% of the traffic needs the left hand lane to turn left or go straight on but at the same time 80% of the buses need the right hand lane to go into ocean terminal