The Triumph and Tragedy of 19-05-12 Book

been here before

been here before

Got this book for Fathers Day. Only the first few chapters in but Im really enjoying it so far.

Just sticking it out there as it seems to have fallen off the radar a bit in comparison to coverage on here for the much better than I expected 51 Shirts and the Bobby Walker book.

By the same author of the ecxellent Reminiscing with Legends, Anthony Brown.

heartofmidlothian_triumphandtragedyof190512hardbackbook_16527863842012book.jpg.fbda1f55e7fd5b0fb128e6ed74dcb12c.jpg

39 minutes ago, been here before said:

Got this book for Fathers Day. Only the first few chapters in but Im really enjoying it so far.

Just sticking it out there as it seems to have fallen off the radar a bit in comparison to coverage on here for the much better than I expected 51 Shirts and the Bobby Walker book.

heartofmidlothian_triumphandtragedyof190512hardbackbook_16527863842012book.jpg.fbda1f55e7fd5b0fb128e6ed74dcb12c.jpg

Sounds like another I need to add to my collection.  I got the 51 shirts as a birthday present and also bought the Beware of Pickpockets book.  Still to get Robbo's autobiography and the Bobby Walker book.  Might need to allocate another bookshelf to accommodate all the Hearts books I now own.

The We Only Won 5-1 comic book is a particular favourite, for obvious reasons, albeit it's not a serious work, just an excuse to remember that day and have a good laugh at the expense of the wee team.

Two Miles to Tynecastle by Andrew-Henry Bowie is an excellent book.  He used to post on here as Buffalo Bill, but unfortunately seems to have disappeared from the forum.   

Steve Weddell's A Tale of Two Seasons is also a great read, but I might be biased because I got an acknowledgement for coming up with the title after he came on here looking for suggestions.

Fort Vallance

I went to the book launch in Musselburgh in May. Well attended and a really good night out. Some of the former players had a few good stories, most of which are in the book. Highly recommend it.

I got the book a few days ago from a Jambo friend visiting from Edinburgh.  I haven't started it yet, but it will make pleasant summer reading.

17 hours ago, been here before said:

I hadn’t heard of this book until your thread.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

scott herbertson

Is there a Hibs version of this. I  like to be fair and read things from the other point of view....

Really enjoyed this book, the fact I got a mention in it has, of course, nothing big to do with me liking it.😂

Anthony Brown
On 24/06/2022 at 23:24, been here before said:

Thanks for this. Glad you’re enjoying the book. Let me know what you think when you’re finished 👍

been here before
11 hours ago, Anthony Brown said:

Thanks for this. Glad you’re enjoying the book. Let me know what you think when you’re finished 👍

Nae bother.

One thing though on p80 in the Hearts Are Rampant chapter:

"...blood doesnt show on a maroon jersey. Those were the words uttered by club legend John Cumming at the end of the 1956 Scottish Cup Final victory..."

Cumming never did say that. Blood doesnt show on a maroon jersey was written about Cumming's injury by Albert Mackie in his book 'The Hearts'.

For some reason over the years that phrase morphed into something other than it was originally. Similarly to Ferguson scoring from a free kick v Bayern that was annoyingly perpetuated in the 51 Shirts book.

Edited by been here before

On 26/06/2022 at 04:11, scott herbertson said:

Is there a Hibs version of this. I  like to be fair and read things from the other point of view....

Yes there is Scott.  I've got it.  It's called We Wuz Robbed.  It points out all the injustices.  Black sould have been sent off.  Referee was a Jambo.  Never a penalty. Kujabi's first booking was a joke.

Didn't realise how lucky we were.

4 hours ago, been here before said:

Nae bother.

"...blood doesnt show on a maroon jersey. Those were the words uttered by club legend John Cumming at the end of the 1956 Scottish Cup Final victory..."

Cumming never did say that. Blood doesnt show on a maroon jersey was written about Cumming's injury by Albert Mackie in his book 'The Hearts'.

For some reason over the years that phrase morphed into something other than it was originally. Similarly to Ferguson scoring from a free kick v Bayern that was annoyingly perpetuated in the 51 Shirts book.

I'm not with you on that referee 

On 25/06/2022 at 17:11, scott herbertson said:

Not so much a book as a one sided leaflet

Worthing Jambo
4 hours ago, dannymack said:

I'm not with you on that referee 

Ferguson didn’t take the free kick.

It was passed to him, albeit not by much.

been here before
16 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Aye only about 10ft...

Ferguson himself has mentioned how McKinlays role in that goal has been over looked. Most noteably the fact that before taking the free kick he rolled the ball to a more central position, taking the free kick quickly, not giving the ref a chance to correct it and thus placing Ferguson in a far better position to strike the ball than he would otherwise have been.

But for some reason a myth has built up Ferguson scored from a free kick.

12 hours ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Ah right... BTW I should have stated reference not referee 😄

21 hours ago, been here before said:

Nae bother.

To be fair he did score FROM a free Kick and not score DIRECTLY from a free kick 😄🤣 

20 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Yes there is Scott.  I've got it.  It's called We Wuz Robbed.  It points out all the injustices.  Black sould have been sent off.  Referee was a Jambo.  Never a penalty. Kujabi's first booking was a joke.

Didn't realise how lucky we were.

😆

• 8 months later...
Anthony Brown

Hi folks, just a post to say my two books on the 1998 and 2012 Scottish Cup wins are currently available at a reduced price on the following link… legends98.bigcartel.com thanks, Anthony 9243DC25-DE72-4B06-B6F3-4E61ECF91795.thumb.jpeg.dbaaedfb1035f999ec164ebd402db4f1.jpeg

On 26/06/2022 at 11:49, PortyBeach said:

Not very good with these things so hopefully this link works…😉

https://youtu.be/OFcT_ef8mmc

Seen this a few times and always have a wee laugh when it gets to 2:45 and the cameraman pans in on the sign that says 'Danger Demolition Keep Out' :pleasingao:

John Findlay
On 25/06/2022 at 17:11, scott herbertson said:

Aidan Smith is currently writing it but has still to complete the first page, due to writer's block or is that Hibs supporter's PTSD.

Edited by John Findlay

On 23/03/2023 at 14:24, Anthony Brown said:

Hi folks, just a post to say my two books on the 1998 and 2012 Scottish Cup wins are currently available at a reduced price on the following link… legends98.bigcartel.com thanks, Anthony 9243DC25-DE72-4B06-B6F3-4E61ECF91795.thumb.jpeg.dbaaedfb1035f999ec164ebd402db4f1.jpeg

That's the old boy's Father's Day in the top pocket. Cheers bud.

Ricardo Quaresma
On 23/03/2023 at 14:55, Firefox said:

Seen this a few times and always have a wee laugh when it gets to 2:45 and the cameraman pans in on the sign that says 'Danger Demolition Keep Out' :pleasingao:

Was inspired by that to create a thread with that title at the very end of last year

maroonsgotop
On 23/03/2023 at 14:24, Anthony Brown said:

received both books yesterday. Many thanks