Jump to content

NHS


rudi must stay
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Morgan

    71

  • rudi must stay

    241

  • Jambo-Jimbo

    25

  • JudyJudyJudy

    27

Smithee

Brilliant. In the last year and a half I've had god knows how many doctor appointments and had serious issues dealt with promptly and well.

I've had scans, consultancy appointments, biopsies. I've had a tumour taken out so professionally that a 5 inch scar on my face has all but disappeared.

 

I have ongoing issues and can get a doctor appointment quickly, usually the same day, in person if required, I take a bunch of pills every day.

 

And I pay nothing for all of that.

The NHS and it's staff are amazing, we're blessed to have them and I'm very grateful for everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mrmarkus1981_1

Saved my life!

 

If your hit by a bus or are in labour, they are brilliant.

 

If you have a long term illness/disease etc. They are hopeless

 

In my opinion, obviously :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Malinga the Swinga

Had good experiences and bad. Gave my dad incorrect dosage of drug in the 80's causing broken arm to turn into stroke.

Then again when third child born and wife began to hemorrhage, doctors and nurses appeared from nowhere and saved her.

Overall the good outweighs bad, imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Brilliant. In the last year and a half I've had god knows how many doctor appointments and had serious issues dealt with promptly and well.

I've had scans, consultancy appointments, biopsies. I've had a tumour taken out so professionally that a 5 inch scar on my face has all but disappeared.

 

I have ongoing issues and can get a doctor appointment quickly, usually the same day, in person if required, I take a bunch of pills every day.

 

And I pay nothing for all of that.

The NHS and it's staff are amazing, we're blessed to have them and I'm very grateful for everything.

Well, technically you do pay through tax.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Smithee
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Well, technically you do pay through tax.

And nothing at point of use, no having to worry about what looking after my health will cost. Amazing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Smithee
4 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

 

If you have a long term illness/disease etc. They are hopeless

 

I can't agree, but I guess a lot of that comes down to your GP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hughesie27

Had some mental health issues when I was 12/early teens. Went to GP. Took the medicine, spoke to school Councillor for a couple months. Sorted me right out. They knkw their stuff. If your are prepared to listen to them.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Real Maroonblood

Not going into personal details. 

Always been well looked after. 

From GP's to Consultants. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Des Lynam
57 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Post your experiences here 


In any walk of life you will get those that are hopeless at their job for various reasons. On the whole the NHS is a wonderful service and one a caring society should have. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rudi must stay
8 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:


In any walk of life you will get those that are hopeless at their job for various reasons. On the whole the NHS is a wonderful service and one a caring society should have. 

 

Des I always enjoyed your presenting so your post carries sway with me 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Salad Fingers

Can only really comment on the care my kids have received over the years. 

 

My oldest daughter - born with Hemiplegia and walked with a visible limp for years. She got an operation last year, during the lockdown and they did an incredible job. She now can walk without a limp (and without the accompanying pain) and can wear the shoes/trainers she wants. It has done wonders for her confidence. The after care was absolutely top notch as well. 

 

My youngest daughter - born ten weeks early with many complications. Lung disease, brain injury, suspected nec. The support she received from the midwifes, nurses, doctors, consultants was, well I can't think of a word good enough to describe it. It was a horrible, dark time but honestly without the support of all the NHS staff we wouldn't have gotten through it without falling to pieces. 

 

One thing I always say to people when they have anything bad to say about NHS staff is this: When the wee one was in SCU in the QEUH, there was a young nurse, maybe about 21/22 who was looking after her. She was there one Saturday around 6pm to take over her care for the night. Now, imagine her friends all getting ready to go on a night out and she has 12 hours on her feet ahead of her. When we came back in the morning around 10am she was still there, still on her feet and still smiling. I'll never forget that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ri Alban
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Sounds like you’ve got a story to tell ? 🙄

He tells it every week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dennis Reynolds

Mostly great experiences. It's never going to be perfect but hard to fault it anytime I've had to use it. I try not to have to use it though. Don't really enjoy being ill so avoid it when I can. 

 

Last time I had to use it at any great length was through a situation with my wife. A proper horrible experience all round but every Doctor/Nurse we had to deal with over the course of around a week during the Christmas holidays treated us with the upmost respect and genuinely couldn't have done more for us. Went over and above when they didn't need to.

 

It's a great service that gets an almighty amount of stick from entitled arseholes imo. It's far from perfect and needs modernised/improved but that's for another thread. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its flawed but i love it. Im very very grateful for it. And it should remain free*, forever.

 

I know we pay etc but you know what i mean.

Edited by Pap
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ri Alban

During the pandemic when the Hospital was, according to JKB, a no go area or disaster, the good people of the NHS in 3 different hospitals tested me for prostate cancer and some other things, not a problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He tells it every week.


Oh I know, not sure whether to laugh or admire the different topic headings he manages to come up with to discuss the same crazy nonsense though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

frankblack

An ambulance took six hours to turn up for a mate's elderley Mum who had a serious injury the other week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ri Alban
Just now, Dazo said:


Oh I know, not sure whether to laugh or admire the different topic headings he manages to come up with to discuss the same crazy nonsense though. 

What was the original disagreement. An x-ray made him mental or something? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ri Alban
4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

An ambulance took six hours to turn up for a mate's elderley Mum who had a serious injury the other week.

I'm youngest took a seizure last Friday and when my middle boy phoned for help, because he was breathing, she wasn't sending an ambulance. He got switched to another department, who put him back to the original department, but to a different person and they sent it pronto. He took another seizure  and nearly bit his tongue off. But thankfully he is recovering, thanks to the doctors and nurses of the NHS.

Edited by ri Alban
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jambo_jim2001

Eternal thanks to this man and a true labour party❤️

xqojhqm84av41.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rudi must stay
34 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Mostly great experiences. It's never going to be perfect but hard to fault it anytime I've had to use it. I try not to have to use it though. Don't really enjoy being ill so avoid it when I can. 

 

Last time I had to use it at any great length was through a situation with my wife. A proper horrible experience all round but every Doctor/Nurse we had to deal with over the course of around a week during the Christmas holidays treated us with the upmost respect and genuinely couldn't have done more for us. Went over and above when they didn't need to.

 

It's a great service that gets an almighty amount of stick from entitled arseholes imo. It's far from perfect and needs modernised/improved but that's for another thread. 

 

Entitled arseholes eh. Are the learning disabled entitles 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ainsley Harriott

Used to be great but now it's a state living in a nationalist wonder land 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

frankblack
30 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'm youngest took a seizure last Friday and when my middle boy phoned for help, because he was breathing, she wasn't sending an ambulance. He got switched to another department, who put him back to the original department, but to a different person and they sent it pronto. He took another seizure  and nearly bit his tongue off. But thankfully he is recovering, thanks to the doctors and nurses of the NHS.

 

Sorry to hear that - hope they are on the mend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ainsley Harriott

I would highly recommend taking out private health care if you can. Mrs needed a procedure the NHS were going to have her waiting around 6 months for. Seen within 2 weeks private 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ray Gin
29 minutes ago, frankblack said:

An ambulance took six hours to turn up for a mate's elderley Mum who had a serious injury the other week.

 

6 hours is outrageous.

 

I had to call the coastguard & ambulance for a woman who had broken her ankle at Gullane beach yesterday. She was in a really inaccessible spot at least a mile from the nearest road but the coastguards were there in around 35 mins with ambulance paramedics around 10 mins behind. Good effort considering the location, I thought.

 

As I was walking back to my car an ambulance service beach buggy had just showed up. First time I'd seen one - looked like it would be awesome fun to drive around the beach tbh. I wanted a shot. :lol: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ri Alban
8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

 

Sorry to hear that - hope they are on the mend.

Me tae. 👍 Thanks, bud.

Edited by ri Alban
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ri Alban
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

 

6 hours is outrageous.

 

I had to call the coastguard & ambulance for a woman who had broken her ankle at Gullane beach yesterday. She was in a really inaccessible spot at least a mile from the nearest road but the coastguards were there in around 35 mins with ambulance paramedics around 10 mins behind. Good effort considering the location, I thought.

 

As I was walking back to my car an ambulance service beach buggy had just showed up. First time I'd seen one - looked like it would be awesome fun to drive around the beach tbh. I wanted a shot. :lol: 

The new Rocket man equipment looks like fun, but I'd need an ambulance after I used it. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dirk McClaymore
35 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Eternal thanks to this man and a true labour party❤️

xqojhqm84av41.jpg

 

This. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

What was the original disagreement. An x-ray made him mental or something? 

 

 

Mental no limited mobility yes 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vlad Magic

I think once you are in the system so to speak they are good. First class in fact. Where they go wrong is in getting through all the various entry points wether it be A n E, doctors surgery, clinics. 

My gran rang us to say she was very unwell and being sick. She was 80 something. We took her to hospital where the doctors checked her over before sending her home with a flu diagnosis. She stayed with us so we could look after her.

 

The next night she deteriorated so we rang an ambulance. They arrived and advised us to put her back to bed with paracetamol!!

 

Another off duty paramedic, one of the ones who patrol in cars, heard the 999 call come in and being local on his way home also dropped in to see how she was. Not happy with what he found he put her on the ECG machine where it transpired she had actually had a heart attack the day before.

 

So she had gone through AnE and the back of an ambulance without anyone diagnosing it.

 

She died about a week later. It’s unlikely that even if they had got it right when she first went in she would have survived however it doesn’t change the fact there were big mistakes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AlimOzturk

Anytime I have require treatment I received brilliant care. Had my appendix burst and needed emergency surgery for that, had testicular torsion when I was younger and needed emergency treatment for that. Got my gout in my foot sorted out. 
 

So aii all good here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hughesie27
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

During the pandemic when the Hospital was, according to JKB, a no go area or disaster, the good people of the NHS in 3 different hospitals tested me for prostate cancer and some other things, not a problem. 

3 times? 

Guess it's just not the same when it's your own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rudi must stay
9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

3 times? 

Guess it's just not the same when it's your own.

 

Not once, twice 3 times a lady 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy

I concur with others about the NHS . Mostly been very positive experience apart from couple years back when I had a serious health issue and had to just pay private to get it seen to  as I was told I might have to wait 14 weeks to be seen .
 

Once I was seen privately and dealt with I  was on the NHS pathway and haven’t had any complaints really . I was reviewed for a year every 3 months and now discharged .  I have really had no problems getting face to face appointments with a GP and due to my previous health issue I’m “ fast tracked “ to hospital if there are any concerns . 
 

I had a GP  appointment last week . She took bloods and she called me next day with the results and to Discuss them . First class really . 

 

i do remember a few years back when I was in hospital and I had to get injections into my stomach each night and I dreaded one of the nurses on the night shift as his manner was awful . I felt like he wasn’t interested . Luckily they are few and far between . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I'm youngest took a seizure last Friday and when my middle boy phoned for help, because he was breathing, she wasn't sending an ambulance. He got switched to another department, who put him back to the original department, but to a different person and they sent it pronto. He took another seizure  and nearly bit his tongue off. But thankfully he is recovering, thanks to the doctors and nurses of the NHS.

Glad to hear he’s on the mend 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Post your experiences here 

Please take you're one man campaign against the NHS to somewhere else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rudi must stay
14 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Please take you're one man campaign against the NHS to somewhere else. 

 

I'm just here to open people's eyes 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife had major surgery 2 weeks ago, I cannot praise the staff,surgeons ect for their dedication and care they gave her, it was first class. Our whole experience of the time she was in the Royal and from the start of her diagnosis was brilliant, very professional. Now I know people will have their own/ bad experiences of the NHS but I have nothing but admiration for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Mighty Thor

Appreciate it.

Cherish it.

Respect its people.

Fight to keep it.

 

Make no mistake, the current mob in Westminster will sell it off from under your nose. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ri Alban
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

3 times? 

Guess it's just not the same when it's your own.

Urines and blood  .

 

Camera up the eye. 

 

 

And the big doughnut machine that scans you. 

 

 

All different hospitals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ri Alban
34 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Glad to hear he’s on the mend 

👍Gonnae be a long road, mentally, bud.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ray Gin
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

The new Rocket man equipment looks like fun, but I'd need an ambulance after I used it. :D

 

Incredible kit, that! 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meathook

It took 8 hours for an ambulance to come for my daughter when she colapsed at home a couple of weeks ago. It was annoying having to stay up till 2am, but it wasn't a life threating situation and I'm sure there were those in greater need. Any gripe would be against funding for the NHS and not the workers themselves. The ambulance staff who attended and those who are looking after her at the infirmay were/are fantastic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EH11_2NL

So-so when I smashed my tib and fib playing Saturday morning church league. Lay on a gurney for ages in agony while they found a bed but the aftercare after the op was spot on.

Brilliant when our first was born and wife just couldn't feed the wee man herself. No pressure from nurses to breast feed. Well done!

Good when I had a mini heart attack type thing after coming out of a general anesthetic. Couldn't breath and they were there in a flash. Good effort.

Now, trying to get a Drs appoinment is nearly impossible and an NHS dentist place is just a pipe-dream. I'm old enough to remember when you could just rock up and see the doc within 15 mins.

 

The NHS is a great thing and we are lucky to have it but I sincerely believe that throwing money at it all the time hasn't worked. It needs a root and branch review especially around mental health  and long term illness provision.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spitonastranger
4 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Can only really comment on the care my kids have received over the years. 

 

My oldest daughter - born with Hemiplegia and walked with a visible limp for years. She got an operation last year, during the lockdown and they did an incredible job. She now can walk without a limp (and without the accompanying pain) and can wear the shoes/trainers she wants. It has done wonders for her confidence. The after care was absolutely top notch as well. 

 

My youngest daughter - born ten weeks early with many complications. Lung disease, brain injury, suspected nec. The support she received from the midwifes, nurses, doctors, consultants was, well I can't think of a word good enough to describe it. It was a horrible, dark time but honestly without the support of all the NHS staff we wouldn't have gotten through it without falling to pieces. 

 

One thing I always say to people when they have anything bad to say about NHS staff is this: When the wee one was in SCU in the QEUH, there was a young nurse, maybe about 21/22 who was looking after her. She was there one Saturday around 6pm to take over her care for the night. Now, imagine her friends all getting ready to go on a night out and she has 12 hours on her feet ahead of her. When we came back in the morning around 10am she was still there, still on her feet and still smiling. I'll never forget that.  

Thanks for sharing hope the kids are ok and agree about the staff 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bull's-eye

Fantastic.

 

I invoice them once a month and they are my quickest payer.

 

Love the NHS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • davemclaren locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...