Craig levein says Lee Johnston is good

Smoked-Glass

4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Exactly!

But he also knew Robbie would be good too ………….. I suppose it is all about balance 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smoked-Glass

• 4marsbars

• Naisys Tackle

• i wish jj was my dad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i wish jj was my dad
13 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Surely you mean on and off the pitch. 

Almost 40 years of domination. Manager after manager. Token wins for the Hibees. All the big wins for Hearts. That's the record.

I doubt Robbie will lose any sleep. 

16 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Thinks it will strengthen hibs this year.

Anyone hear the podcast?  LJ has dreams and plans about how to run the H1b5.  

It might apply to a well run club that can accommodate an ambitious young manager...but not H1b5.  

I predict he will quickly succome and be dragged down by the badly the Hibernian way.  

I know where this thread will have gone (I've only read the OP so far!!) and probably quite rightly as I'm nae Levein fan and never have been.

I do however think Lee Johnson is probably quite capable.  I think I suggested him as a name for us at one point in the last couple of years, I have to admit.

He's not the problem at Hibs, though.  And those problems are vast and deep rooted.  Was speaking to a couple of level headed Hibbies at the weekend and be under no illusion, those cats are shitting it about the whole set up and where it's leading.

Even if the Gordon's stepped away and gave Johnson the reigns and control over the lot, does he have the minerals for that?  Not sure.  Think he looks a decent coach, he's meant to be a decent lad actually, despite all the Brent stuff.  But does he have the personality to turn something like that round, even unhindered - to turn that rabble in to a team and squad?  Doesn't feel likely.

If he gets McGeady, that's a step as he'd be a Johnson "guy" but how will the rest of the neds, bairns and jumped up nomarks react to being told what to do???

Bazzas right boot

Oh goody a CL thread. 

And a chance to slag him. 

A good few on this will be like..... 

SomeCorruptGemsbuck-size_restricted.gif

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I know where this thread will have gone (I've only read the OP so far!!) and probably quite rightly as I'm nae Levein fan and never have been.

I do however think Lee Johnson is probably quite capable.  I think I suggested him as a name for us at one point in the last couple of years, I have to admit.

He's not the problem at Hibs, though.  And those problems are vast and deep rooted.  Was speaking to a couple of level headed Hibbies at the weekend and be under no illusion, those cats are shitting it about the whole set up and where it's leading.

Even if the Gordon's stepped away and gave Johnson the reigns and control over the lot, does he have the minerals for that?  Not sure.  Think he looks a decent coach, he's meant to be a decent lad actually, despite all the Brent stuff.  But does he have the personality to turn something like that round, even unhindered - to turn that rabble in to a team and squad?  Doesn't feel likely.

If he gets McGeady, that's a step as he'd be a Johnson "guy" but how will the rest of the neds, bairns and jumped up nomarks react to being told what to do???

Agreed, although I never suggested him for us, but you weren't the only one, few on here did. 

10 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Once again, astonished by the lack of respect shown towards a Hearts legend who's done so much for the club.

Legend is a bit much, he only played for us about 5 times.

10 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Unlike all these other legends we revere who played (or managed) us for no financial reward whatsoever?

Hearts are a professional football club. Your point is utterly meaningless.

Much like you calling him a legend.

King Of The Cat Cafe

Don't forget, Alan Stubbs was well regarded as a coach before he went to Easter Road.

Do I need to say any more?

40 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

I saw him play. He's a legend.

I watched his whole career at Hearts, cracking player but no legend.

1 hour ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Don't forget, Alan Stubbs was well regarded as a coach before he went to Easter Road.

Do I need to say any more?

Errrrr. He won the cup.

Percival King
15 minutes ago, briever said:

I watched his whole career at Hearts, cracking player but no legend.

Ditto. We'll all have our own definition of what makes a player or manager a legend so I understand that some will regard Levein as a legend but I don't. And folk shouldn't interpret that as a lack of respect or appreciation for what he contributed to Hearts.

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

What?

It's nonsense perpetuated by Gary Mackay. The more it is repeated though the more some people treat it as fact. Particularly, when they have an agenda. 

By all means have a pop at CL's managerial record but to suggest that a guy who came back twice from those injuries to the detriment of his long term health lacked bottle is quite frankly offensive. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Errrrr. He won the cup.

A blip.

Lost Championship playoff in 2014/15

Lost Championship playoff in 2015/16

Sacked by Rotherham after two months

Departed St Mirren after less than three months.

Smoked-Glass
1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

It's nonsense perpetuated by Gary Mackay. The more it is repeated though the more some people treat it as fact. Particularly, when they have an agenda. 

By all means have a pop at CL's managerial record but to suggest that a guy who came back twice from those injuries to the detriment of his long term health lacked bottle is quite frankly offensive. 

We liked levein the first time round as manager.  2000-2004.  

Few great seasons in there with the Fuller, 5-1, Phil stamp, Austin McCann, Braga etc.

1 hour ago, Percival King said:

Ditto. We'll all have our own definition of what makes a player or manager a legend so I understand that some will regard Levein as a legend but I don't. And folk shouldn't interpret that as a lack of respect or appreciation for what he contributed to Hearts.

I think an essential to qualify as a legend is either you’ve won something OR you’ve set some kind of tangible record for appearances or goals. Levein didn’t really achieve that much of a tangible nature IMO not a legend 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

I think an essential to qualify as a legend is either you’ve won something OR you’ve set some kind of tangible record for appearances or goals. Levein didn’t really achieve that much of a tangible nature IMO not a legend 

If we take a Legend to be a ‘famous or notorious person in a particular field’ then Craig probably counts on both definitions. 😄

13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

If we take a Legend to be a ‘famous or notorious person in a particular field’ then Craig probably counts on both definitions. 😄

If you feel he’s a legend, then he’s a legend. It’s a personal opinion I guess. 

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If you feel he’s a legend, then he’s a legend. It’s a personal opinion I guess. 

It is indeed. 

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Best outfield player in my lifetime. Man of match in our last world Cup win. Twice came back from injuries that in those days would normally end your career and was still our best player after recovery. 

Player, captain, manager, DOF over 20 odd years. Other than his last 3 or 4 at the club he was a big success.  That qualifies IMO.  As do Robbo and Gary Mackay despite their similarly 'modest' haul of honours. 

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

So you can be a legend by being bang average, by being so shit that you never attract a bid from another bigger club and never win anything.

Not much of a legend.

Smoked-Glass
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

So you can be a legend by being bang average, by being so shit that you never attract a bid from another bigger club and never win anything.

Not much of a legend.

Being a hearts supporter helps the legend status

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Best outfield player in my lifetime. Man of match in our last world Cup win. Twice came back from injuries that in those days would normally end your career and was still our best player after recovery. 

Player, captain, manager, DOF over 20 odd years. Other than his last 3 or 4 at the club he was a big success.  That qualifies IMO.  As do Robbo and Gary Mackay despite their similarly 'modest' haul of honours. 

Robbo is legend, other two are decent Hearts players. No more, no less. Appreciate legend status easier to achieve of bar set low, but then again, it should be so high that few can attain.

Smoked-Glass
17 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Robbo is legend, other two are decent Hearts players. No more, no less. Appreciate legend status easier to achieve of bar set low, but then again, it should be so high that few can attain.

I think record goal scorer and record number of appearances are legend status at any club as there can only be one of each. 

Percival King
30 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not much of a legend.

It's so subjective and probably contradictory as well. There was probably nothing Paulo Sergio did as Hearts manager to be viewed as a legend apart from deliver arguably the greatest, or most famous, result, our history which in some fans view (including mine) is enough to transform him into a legend. There are Hearts managers with a better record than him that probably no-one would argue are legends. Perhaps not fair but that's life.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Smoked-Glass said:

I think record goal scorer and record number of appearances are legend status at any club as there can only be one of each. 

Unless they're shared

8 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Oh goody a CL thread. 

...and an equal opportunity, Baz, for his dedicated followers to defend him. 

😊

A wonderful player and done well in his first stint as manager. Giving him the DOF job and all that entailed was a mistake. Despite what many think how it ended will gnaw away at him. 

42 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

A wonderful player and done well in his first stint as manager. Giving him the DOF job and all that entailed was a mistake. Despite what many think how it ended will gnaw away at him. 

Sums it up. Sometimes stubbornness is a fantastic trait in a manager and sometimes it’s not. 

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I think Levein was a wee bit more than a decent player. Gary was a good player. Levein was an outstanding player. If we see a better outfield player for Hearts in my lifetime I will be delighted. 

TuckerCarlsonsToupee
23 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Unlike all these other legends we revere who played (or managed) us for no financial reward whatsoever?

Hearts are a professional football club. Your point is utterly meaningless.

The point I was responding to was that Craig Levein had done things for Hearts.  He did no more for Hearts than any other employee of the club.  That is to say he did what he was paid to do.  Just like Danny Swanson or Malofeev.

Other Hearts legends are, arguably, afforded greater reverence by people like me because they won things, they seemed to genuinely care for the club, managed not to appoint Ian Cathro as manager and didn’t have designs on appointing that other peculiar chap as manager.

All about opinions.  Mine are no more meaningless than yours.

TuckerCarlsonsToupee
23 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

He could have moved as player and manager for a lot more money. 

He didn’t move as a player because nobody made a bid for him.  He did move as a manger for exactly the amount of money the market felt he was worth and to the only club who were interested enough to make him that offer.

13 hours ago, TuckerCarlsonsToupee said:

All about opinions.  Mine are no more meaningless than yours.

No more meaningless? That's debatable. I generally don't provide spurious reasons to justify my preferences.

But yes, it is all about opinions and I'm very happy to differ.

Craig Levein would almost certainly be in my top five Hearts players of the last half century. He was that good.

Randy Marsh
20 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

He also thought cathro, damour and Connor sammon were good so not too worried about that

He also has some pishy wee role at some diddy Highland League team.  Anything he slavers goes straight in shit tip.

On 20/06/2022 at 07:59, Bazzas right boot said:

Oh goody a CL thread. 

Tosh jumping in to support CL! 🤣

Once a Levein fanboy always a Levein fanboy….

On 19/06/2022 at 22:42, Robbies Tackle said:

I was told he turned down Rangers.

Second time around wasn't great no.  But I won't use that to hold it against a guy that gave a great part of his life contributing to our football club.  He supports HMFC and done his best.  

He supports Raith Rovers

On 19/06/2022 at 15:21, Sooks said:

He also thought Cathro would be a good manager and Daly was lined up for our gig too

And that guy Neilson 🙂

7 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

He also thought cathro, damour and Connor sammon were good so not too worried about that

and Paul Hartley

Ainsley Harriott
3 minutes ago, H2 said:

and Paul Hartley

Fire enough bullets you're sure to hit something at some point 

On 19/06/2022 at 15:21, Sooks said:

He also thought Cathro would be a good manager and Daly was lined up for our gig too

This

Great player 

Shite manager

6 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Fire enough bullets you're sure to hit something at some point 

It's a fact, Andy Webster!