Isle of Man TT

Cade

dobmisterdobster

1682099114_download(6).jpeg.e2cdfadfa6cb2547c8e483feb1f8bb04.jpeg

I used to love playing the Manx TT video game. I would never do it in real life though.

The White Cockade

Was up on the Mountain watching the racing yesterday and it was brilliant, the island is packed with visitors and there is a great buzz and atmosphere everywhere but too many fatalities this year already Sick feeling in your stomach waiting for news after every red flag

Love the TT, best bike racing in the world.

Looking to get my motorbike this year, finally in a financial position and of an age I won't get intoxicated with speed and be a dafty (one of the main reasons I didn't do it in my 30s, I'd have killed myself as I was a *****).. 

19 minutes ago, Pap said:

Can it not be banned under safety concerns?

It seems to be exempt from that kind of thing "because it's the TT and horrific death is part of the history of the event"

The problem is that despite constant rule changes and course changes to try to make it safer, bike technology keeps ahead of that, so things are actually getting WORSE over time instead of better.

1920px-Snaefell_Mountain_Course_competit

Edited by Cade

4 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Looking to get my motorbike this year, finally in a financial position and of an age I won't get intoxicated with speed and be a dafty (one of the main reasons I didn't do it in my 30s, I'd have killed myself as I was a *****).. 

I waited till I turned 50 for pretty much the same reasons. 😄

Harry Potter

Was there in 1980 with my uncle ,dad and younger brother, few months after losing my mum, we all

enjoyed the island and the racing.

Not really my bag but shouts to ban it are mad imo. People know the risk when they compete in it and evidently are happy to do so.

Салатные палочки

The riders either have balls of steel or are just plain crazy. Probably a bit of both. They are all aware of the dangers but it  doesn't seem to faze them. I was watching a short documentary about it only last week and the girlfriend of one of the riders was interviewed. She said her heart sank every time he was racing. He had young kids as well but these guys are adrenalin junkies and the thought of a normal life and job doesn't appeal to them at all. 

The helmet cam footage is something else. There's a straight at one point and it's has overhanging trees that make it look like a tunnel but the light shines through enough to disorientate you, even if you were in a car. It must just be a case of head down, hammer it through to the other end and hope for the best. 

Jambo_jim2001
52 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

I gave it up, lost a few mates,and not one was to blame, you'll see what I mean when you get a bike😳

Every biker knows someone that died after coming off their bike.

Most bikers have spent time in hospital themselves.

They're inherently dangerous machines.

That's just how it is.

Weakened Offender

Was there in 87. Think that was a particularly bad year for deaths. The place is ****ing mental tbh. 

The White Cockade
1 hour ago, Pap said:

Can it not be banned under safety concerns?

It’s run by the IOM Government and licenced by the ACU There’s nobody who can ban it if those two don’t 

I know to outsiders it seems mad and unbelievable but it’s not just about the racers and the bikers the whole island comes alive and there is an unbelievable buzz and atmosphere that is hard to describe and has to be experienced personally to appreciate 

The deaths and injuries are horrible but at these speeds and in those roads there’s nothing that can really be done to make it safer 

I live it but hate the consequences and that’s the conundrum 

I think it will carry on for a few years yet but probably not indefinitely It could be the climate change measures that eventually finish it off

49 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

I gave it up, lost a few mates,and not one was to blame, you'll see what I mean when you get a bike😳

My brother had a quite horrific crash in 1996, a few months before getting married. He walked down the aisle with pins and plates holding ankle and pins in his elbow. Still there to this day (I think the ankle ones out).

I think among younger riders there's the "it won't happen to me" attitude.

For the more seasoned there's the acceptance that it could happen so you do what you can (even if that means stop riding) to mitigate the risks. 

For me it's something I've always wanted, but circumstances have prevented me. My wife says I look at bikes like other men look at women... (I don't let her catch me looking at women .😉😉)...

The White Cockade

Big difference between the racers who can ride the course at speeds up to 200 mph and the bikers who come over to bash round when the roads are open Mountain Road closed 3 times this morning already due to RTC’s Likely that they will limit speeds in the future to cut down all these crashes Whether that would affect visitor numbers to a huge extent would remain to be seen

1 hour ago, graygo said:

What did you get?

Been looking at Kawasaki Vulcan 650, z650 and honda cb500x.. 2nd hand all reasonably cheap now.. I can't ride a sportier bike because my hips cramp up and lock out in more traditional sports riding posture..

Just now, The White Cockade said:

Big difference between the racers who can ride the course at speeds up to 200 mph and the bikers who come over to bash round when the roads are open Mountain Road closed 3 times this morning already due to RTC’s Likely that they will limit speeds in the future to cut down all these crashes Whether that would affect visitor numbers to a huge extent would remain to be seen

Don't know any figures but I'd imagine a fair chunk of the IoM tourist numbers are to ride the mountain section.. could be wrong. 

The White Cockade
10 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Don't know any figures but I'd imagine a fair chunk of the IoM tourist numbers are to ride the mountain section.. could be wrong. 

Yeah that’s the problem 

They need the visitors but a limit on how often the police ambulance and fire service can deal with all the incidents, strain on local hospital especially since Covid has caused staffing issues Also the locals who can have travel issues with constant road closures 

Loads here this year after 3 year break Lots of Spanish, French and Italian bikers plus the usual Germans and British/Irish Also a lot of non biker Americans etc ticking one off their bucket list

2 hours ago, graygo said:

Following a family motorbike death 20 years ago all the siblings had to promise our late mum we’d never sit on a motor bike again. I miss it but that kind of promise  can’t be broken unfortunately 

2 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

What did you get?

Been looking at Kawasaki Vulcan 650, z650 and honda cb500x.. 2nd hand all reasonably cheap now.. I can't ride a sportier bike because my hips cramp up and lock out in more traditional sports riding posture..

CBR600 keep having thoughts about a bigger bike but then I realise that this bike does everything I want it to do and it's certainly fast enough.

IMG_20220602_114446251.jpg

Jambo_jim2001
5 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

My brother had a quite horrific crash in 1996, a few months before getting married. He walked down the aisle with pins and plates holding ankle and pins in his elbow. Still there to this day (I think the ankle ones out).

I think among younger riders there's the "it won't happen to me" attitude.

For the more seasoned there's the acceptance that it could happen so you do what you can (even if that means stop riding) to mitigate the risks. 

For me it's something I've always wanted, but circumstances have prevented me. My wife says I look at bikes like other men look at women... (I don't let her catch me looking at women .😉😉)...

😂😂 My nephew has a gold wing in my brothers garage,been there for three years now,must admit I look upon it with envious eyes..👍

4 hours ago, graygo said:

CBR600 keep having thoughts about a bigger bike but then I realise that this bike does everything I want it to do and it's certainly fast enough.

IMG_20220602_114446251.jpg

Nice,always liked the cbr600... although in general I prefer the look of older bikes (especially  the cbr) because I think older styling is more appealing than angular styles of modern bikes.

Although not experienced as a rider and friends and family say I'll get bored of a smaller bike, I don't think anything much above a 600 is needed  here (Scotland/uk)..

I'd love to a bike and take a trip to the TT or The North West 500..

There's some cracking videos on YouTube, I particularly like the "American reacts to IoM" type videos...

1 hour ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

😂😂 My nephew has a gold wing in my brothers garage,been there for three years now,must admit I look upon it with envious eyes..👍

Goldwing is probably the only bike my wife (might) go pillion on..

Mainly cos it's a couch on wheels with an entertainment system..

Wouldn't say no though.. ;)

1 hour ago, muldoon74 said:

Nice,always liked the cbr600... although in general I prefer the look of older bikes (especially  the cbr) because I think older styling is more appealing than angular styles of modern bikes.

Although not experienced as a rider and friends and family say I'll get bored of a smaller bike, I don't think anything much above a 600 is needed  here (Scotland/uk)..

I'd love to a bike and take a trip to the TT or The North West 500..

There's some cracking videos on YouTube, I particularly like the "American reacts to IoM" type videos...

I got told I might get bored as well but although I passed my test 3 years ago, every time I go out on it, it feels like the first time. Probably because I'm a fair weather biker so it doesn't get used much.

Also 0-60 mph in about 3 seconds with a top speed above anything I've been comfortable taking it to keeps it "interesting" 😄 I think the manual says 160mph.

A few of us are heading up to the Highlands in August using Inverness as a base, did it last year and it was brilliant.

10 hours ago, Cade said:

Every biker knows someone that died after coming off their bike.

Most bikers have spent time in hospital themselves.

They're inherently dangerous machines.

That's just how it is.

Yes

Yes

No

No

Jambo_jim2001
4 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Goldwing is probably the only bike my wife (might) go pillion on..

Mainly cos it's a couch on wheels with an entertainment system..

Wouldn't say no though.. ;)

Must be an age thing for me now,big comfy couch though🤣 mind and teach your Mrs to lean into the corner👍. My now Mrs took ages to grasp that idea,made my backside go like a rabbits nose on a fair few occasions back in the day😳

13 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Must be an age thing for me now,big comfy couch though🤣 mind and teach your Mrs to lean into the corner👍. My now Mrs took ages to grasp that idea,made my backside go like a rabbits nose on a fair few occasions back in the day😳

She's said she's not going on the back (thinks she's too old).. also doesn't want to lay money out for kit she might only use once before deciding she doesn't like it. Fair point I suppose, also gives me ability to satisfy my own desires regarding bike choice as I don't have to consider her! 

2 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

AHH sweet sweet memories back in the day,,sidecar for your Mrs?😁.

D7eqtJQXoAA30jE.jpg

images.jpeg

Passenger in a sidecar just died there funnily enough.

3 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

AHH sweet sweet memories back in the day,,sidecar for your Mrs?😁.

D7eqtJQXoAA30jE.jpg

images.jpeg

Seeing the sidecars reminded me that the normal bikes are relatively sane compared to the sidecar races! 

5 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Seeing the sidecars reminded me that the normal bikes are relatively sane compared to the sidecar races! 

Do they still race them round the Isle of Man?

Here's the legendary Jock Taylor, who won it 4 times and held the lap record for 7 years.

9b372891f79627fd81ff69aab0344f30.jpg

hughesie27
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Do they still race them round the Isle of Man?

Here's the legendary Jock Taylor, who won it 4 times and held the lap record for 7 years.

9b372891f79627fd81ff69aab0344f30.jpg

A sidecar passenger is one of those who died this week.

Just now, hughesie27 said:

A sidecar passenger is one of those who died this week.

Wouldn't get me hanging off the back of one of those things for love nor money.

The White Cockade
14 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Apparently they got it wrong and announced the wrong name.... it was the driver, not the passenger...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/61733290

Not something to think about but it was a bad bad one and if they couldn’t identify them the doesn’t bear thinking about 

To give the benefit of the doubt, the passenger and driver were both badly injured so the one that is currently surviving wouldn't have been able to give a name either. It may have been a simpler case of confused identity (similar leathers, how they were found on/near the bike etc) but the police and Procurator Fiscal in Scotland wouldn't announce a deceased name without DNA positive ID if there were severe injuries and a visual ID couldn't be done. Sounds like the organisers maybe announced it based on lesser evidence and it has only just come to light. I'd expect a review of procedures to follow...

The White Cockade
1 hour ago, Daktari said:

To give the benefit of the doubt, the passenger and driver were both badly injured so the one that is currently surviving wouldn't have been able to give a name either. It may have been a simpler case of confused identity (similar leathers, how they were found on/near the bike etc) but the police and Procurator Fiscal in Scotland wouldn't announce a deceased name without DNA positive ID if there were severe injuries and a visual ID couldn't be done. Sounds like the organisers maybe announced it based on lesser evidence and it has only just come to light. I'd expect a review of procedures to follow...

There is a review of procedures ongoing Very unfortunate they got it wrong but sadly they would be practically unidentifiable after that crash it was a horrendous one

Angry Haggis

Started riding motorised 2 wheels about 8 years ago starting on a Vespa 125cc Scooter for commuting. Just obtained CBT every 2 years then when heading to pay for another CBT (would have been my third) I decided to sit test for 125cc automatic. After passing that then allowed me to ride a geared 125cc bike on L plates then after getting some experience got on a Direct Access course and obtained full bike licence. 

That then led to a Ducati Scrambler 800cc which I did NC500 on last May. Now moved up to a Ducati Multistrada 1200 which is great for longer runs. Just back from a 5 day west coast of Scotland /Isles trip - was great. 

Currently planning  a trip to Gran Can for next spring for a bike trip on the island. Yes, I like temperamental Italian bikes. 

The White Cockade

Crashed in exactly the same spot losing control at Ago ‘s Leap 

There are no good places to crash on the Mountain Course but you’ve practically no chance of surviving an off in that part of the course 

RIP

Sad times 

14 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Crashed in exactly the same spot losing control at Ago ‘s Leap 

There are no good places to crash on the Mountain Course but you’ve practically no chance of surviving an off in that part of the course 

RIP

Sad times 

I get what you said, what it gives to the Isle but thats mental.

How do these deaths affect the populace? 

Given its smallish population. And knowing that people will die at this yearly event. I cant get my head around that.

The White Cockade
9 hours ago, Pap said:

I get what you said, what it gives to the Isle but thats mental.

How do these deaths affect the populace? 

Given its smallish population. And knowing that people will die at this yearly event. I cant get my head around that.

Yeah it’s the question a lot of people ask

The IOM is a pretty quiet place with little in the line of entertainment and not great weather The usually miserable winter lasts from about October to April and there’s not a lot to do 

Suddenly end of May there is 40,000 visitors, pubs and restaurants are heaving there are beer tents and events, Red Arrows displays and concerts This week we have had Madness, Nile Rogers, Becky Hill , the Darkness and a load of others The whole place is busy and buzzing The atmosphere is incredible Even those who aren’t into the racing are out and about every night And of course there is the racing which is amazing and scary and doesn’t happen anywhere else The whole thing has to be seen to be believed It’s like a different planet to normal and it’s depressing when it’s over for another year 

but obviously the downside is also massive Five racers dead this week The argument has always been that they know the risks and they die doing what they love and that’s true but it must be hell for their friends and family

When a red flag is announced they thousands watching just go quiet It’s a horrible feeling 

There has always been a minority who want it stopped and maybe that minority are growing over time 

I live the TT and have marshalled for over 20 years but finding it harder to deal with the deaths and injuries as I get older  It is a live/hate thing

I really don’t know how long it will continue It’s unique. mind blowing and tragic at times 

There is nothing else like it that’s for sure

Weakened Offender

I would certainly put up with mass death on my doorstep if it meant having the opportunity to see The Darkness. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

Weakened Offender

Old men and ladies at a gig. 😁

I've been over there a few times. It's full of grumpy pensioners, bumpkins from bad blood lines and Scousers on the run. They're not a normal lot. 

The White Cockade
30 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I would certainly put up with mass death on my doorstep if it meant having the opportunity to see The Darkness. 

dark.jpg