2022/23 expectations

AC Mallin_51

AC Mallin_51

Now that’s our final competitive game over for another season we can now look forward to next season including a minimum of 8 games in Europe. Just wondering what everyone’s realistic expectations are? Be interesting to see how we cope with the Thursday-Sunday demand until at least Christmas. A strong window is definitely neededed. For me I’d say 

League - 3rd place, anything lower is a failure now imo, allowing another side to come in and take the potential group stages and the rewards that come with it will be concerning. As much as I’d love to aim higher Saturday is a reminder the OF are miles ahead

SC - 3 finals in 4 years so no reason why we can’t put a good run together again, we’ll likely be out of Europe, or at least the demand won’t be as bad, by the time it kicks off. Obviously a lot of luck with the draw, avoiding the OF away 

LC - something we’ve not won for 60 years. Bypass the groups and a seed for the last 16. A fantastic chance of being the last 8 and will be the only round we could potentially get rangers or Celtic away. Again some luck involved but something we really should be taking seriously 

Europe - Pretty uncharted waters but with now being seeded for the playoff I do think we’ve a fantastic chance of reaching the EL groups. Could face some pretty great sides but scraping 3rd would allow us to drop into the ECL knockouts. Again same as the league just interesting to see how we cope with playing games so regular 

Edited by AC Mallin_51

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• AC Mallin_51

• JimmyCant

• Arfur

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hmfc_liam06

3rd place in the league while beating our points total this year, another cup final (hopefully avoiding either of the OF) and a decent showing in Europe with a win or two (two being hope rather than expectation).

Edited by hmfc_liam06

thehibsareintheirbeds

Think we can win a cup and Europe going to be an adventure but consolidating in 3rd place is so important.

Looking back to our last few seasons, getting third is some achievement and other teams won't be as bad next year so we'll have to work for it. 

Bazzas right boot

3rd and more points. 

Even 4th and more points wouldn't be a diasaster but we have a chance to  make 3rd our own. 

Cups, not emptied by shite - with a bit luck... win it. 

Europe, depending on draw, but just do as best as we can. 

The big thing for me is to build on this season, 65-70 points would be a nice improvement and easily achievable as we dropped a lot of points to the bottom 3. 

We need to add more goals from midfield and the wide areas, do that and we'll win more games and get more points. 

We also need to make sure our league consistency is maintained in the first part of the season when we are playing in Europe, a new thing for most of our players. 

I'd expect another team to get closer to us next season, I'll go for Aberdeen to be a good bit better. 

A_A wehatethehibs

The league title is within reach only 32 points back boys, 12 more wins and we’re there. Just need a bit more

mentality Neilson oot and put the bodo glimt manager in.

AC Mallin_51
4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

3rd and more points. 

Even 4th and more points wouldn't be a diasaster but we have a chance to  make 3rd our own. 

Cups, not emptied by shite - with a bit luck... win it. 

Europe, depending on draw, but just do as best as we can. 

The big thing for me is to build on this season, 65-70 points would be a nice improvement and easily achievable as we dropped a lot of points to the bottom 3. 

We need to add more goals from midfield and the wide areas, do that and we'll win more games and get more points. 

We also need to make sure our league consistency is maintained in the first part of the season when we are playing in Europe, a new thing for most of our players. 

I'd expect another team to get closer to us next season, I'll go for Aberdeen to be a good bit better. 

I expect Aberdeen to be better next year aswell. I’ll be amazed if we get it as easy from our “challengers” this time 

Dennis Reynolds

The quadruple and no less. 

Nah but seriously, third and a trophy should be our targets. A final at minimum. 

Europe, as far as possible. The more we win, the more money we get. The more money we get, the better players we get. The better players we get the more we win.

AC Mallin_51
2 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

The quadruple and no less. 

Nah but seriously, third and a trophy should be our targets. A final at minimum. 

Europe, as far as possible. The more we win, the more money we get. The more money we get, the better players we get. The better players we get the more we win.

Absolutely but what’s interesting with that is do you then think it’s actually more beneficial to drop into the conference? There is not a massive gap in prize money from the EL and we’d have more chance of winning games and possibly progressing out of the group 

LivingstonJambo99

3rd place in the league along with being more dominant away to Hibs and Aberdeen. Also be more competitive against the old firm at Tynecastle. Close the point gap as a much as possible.

Being competitive in European games especially at home. 

Good cup run in either cup as long as we avoid the old firm away. 

Edited by LivingstonJambo99

22 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Now that’s our final competitive game over for another season we can now look forward to next season including a minimum of 8 games in Europe. Just wondering what everyone’s realistic expectations are? Be interesting to see how we cope with the Thursday-Sunday demand until at least Christmas. A strong window is definitely neededed. For me I’d say 

League - 3rd place, anything lower is a failure now imo, allowing another side to come in and take the potential group stages and the rewards that come with it will be concerning. As much as I’d love to aim higher Saturday is a reminder the OF are miles ahead

SC - 3 finals in 4 years so no reason why we can’t put a good run together again, we’ll likely be out of Europe, or at least the demand won’t be as bad, by the time it kicks off. Obviously a lot of luck with the draw, avoiding the OF away 

LC - something we’ve not won for 60 years. Bypass the groups and a seed for the last 16. A fantastic chance of being the last 8 and will be the only round we could potentially get rangers or Celtic away. Again some luck involved but something we really should be taking seriously 

Europe - Pretty uncharted waters but with now being seeded for the playoff I do think we’ve a fantastic chance of reaching the EL groups. Could face some pretty great sides but scraping 3rd would allow us to drop into the ECL knockouts. Again same as the league just interesting to see how we cope with playing games so regular 

Superb summary.  Completely realistic.

The other two will be miles ahead of us all again so 3rd place, excitement of Europe and Cup runs are our only realstic expectations.

Would love to be wrong.

Dennis Reynolds
6 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Absolutely but what’s interesting with that is do you then think it’s actually more beneficial to drop into the conference? There is not a massive gap in prize money from the EL and we’d have more chance of winning games and possibly progressing out of the group 

I think it would be, yep. 

So much will depend on what other teams manage to spend for example if McGinn moves for decent money and Aberdeen sell a couple of players for a wedge because then these clubs could stop the gap between us and them becoming a chasm and if they built good squads off the back of it they would not have the two games a week issue that we will have

I have faith in Robbie and Joe though so ..........

Third place by about nine points from fourth and twenty off second

League Cup Champions

Round after the groups in the Conference League

Knocked out the Scottish by Rangers or Celtic before the final but getting back in to Europe because one of them wins it

If we can recruit similar to last year then we will be improving the team\squad.  I think then that we will be hard to push out of 3rd.  We should also be in contention for BOTH cups.  My biggest concern is replacing Soutter although Halkett and Kingsley were both outstanding this season.  

3rd with more points. Better performances against Rangers and Celtic.  Not lose to teams we should be beating. 

Cup final again and a decent run in Europe .

All very achievable with the money coming in and Savages ability in getting in quality players. 

3rd would exceptional given the Thursday-Sunday games.  
I expect us to beat hibs every time, and if we can have a Scottish cup final again that would be great.

Im never that fussed about the league cup tbh

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So much will depend on what other teams manage to spend for example if McGinn moves for decent money and Aberdeen sell a couple of players for a wedge because then these clubs could stop the gap between us and them becoming a chasm and if they built good squads off the back of it they would not have the two games a week issue that we will have

I have faith in Robbie and Joe though so ..........

Third place by about nine points from fourth and twenty off second

League Cup Champions

Round after the groups in the Conference League

Knocked out the Scottish by Rangers or Celtic before the final but getting back in to Europe because one of them wins it

Actually sorry this is a prediction not an expectation 

The Goalscoring Knee

Hope for third, a cup final and no European embarrassment.

Expect a second-season-back-up hangover (4th or 5th), getting dumped from the league cup by lower league opposition again and some horsings abroad.

:peepwall:

jamtartan74
7 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

3rd would exceptional given the Thursday-Sunday games.  
I expect us to beat hibs every time, and if we can have a Scottish cup final again that would be great.

Im never that fussed about the league cup tbh

See this thing about the league cup and people not being bothered by it, it bothers me, it’s a trophy, albeit without the Europe entry but it’s still a trophy that we should do better in, I want to win it, it’s been far too long. 

AC Mallin_51
9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Actually sorry this is a prediction not an expectation 

Still a good point though, something surely our management have to consider, especially since it’s our main competition for 3rd

All depends on recruitment. We need more quality players and more strength in depth otherwise we will really struggle playing Thursday-Sunday.

Getting third while also playing in Europe would be progress.

I would love to see us win the League Cup. Just 4 matches for silverware! But may not be a priority first half of the season.

Winning at least 3 post split matches should also be a target!

AC Mallin_51
3 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

See this thing about the league cup and people not being bothered by it, it bothers me, it’s a trophy, albeit without the Europe entry but it’s still a trophy that we should do better in, I want to win it, it’s been far too long. 

I was too young to remember 98 but 06 and of course more so 2012 were 2 of the greatest days I’ve had supporting hearts.We are hardly spoilt for choice, As you said the league cup is a trophy and one we haven’t won in far too long. I remember how gutted I felt leaving hampden in 2013 after the final. I just think because we are straight into the last 16, seeded for that round it gives us a really good chance, we 100% should be giving it everything 

Edited by AC Mallin_51

kingantti1874

3rd but a bit closer and better overall performances against the old firm

Decent results in Europe

Another cup run

just progress.  We need to keep moving forward 

The Goalscoring Knee
5 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Winning at least 3 post split matches should also be a target!

This!

28 minutes ago, LivingstonJambo99 said:

3rd place in the league along with being more dominant away to Hibs and Aberdeen. Also be more competitive against the old firm at Tynecastle. Close the point gap as a much as possible.

Being competitive in European games especially at home. 

Good cup run in either cup as long as we avoid the old firm away. 

This. We only took 4 points out of 24 against old firm 🤦🏻

jamboinglasgow

Third is key (and being closer to the Old Firm.)

Semi finals of the cups (but most importantly Scottish cup.)

Europe is a bit of a free hit this time , but would want us to make ourselves proud.

I’d take 3rd and a cup final again. Being in Europe till Xmas will make the league harder next year due to thur then Sunday games 

12 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Still a good point though, something surely our management have to consider, especially since it’s our main competition for 3rd

The other side of the coin is that Aberdeen need to start putting money in to a stadium plan of some sort and Hibs are a complete shambles in terms of club hierarchy and recruitment ect so they could very easily both bring in a bit of cash and still not improve much on teh pitch

55 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

3rd and another final. Close the points difference between us and old firm. 

This for me.

tiger Rudi

Consolidate 3rd, close gap on Old Firm and stand up to them more, at least at home. 

Keep most of current squad but try and add some real quality.  3 good signings to add to Gordon Halkett Kingsley Haring Devlin Beningime, McKay Simms. I really hope Simms & Haring stay. Smith & Boyce look done but if they can prove their fitness fair enough. Loan signings are ok but don't lead to consistency and team building, more often than not they are away after a season and we have to start the process all over again. Another loan on Simms would obviously be good though. Young players on a 3 year deal please. At least we get some reward when they move on. 

A Souttar replacement

A Cameron/Hartley

A number 10

At least one decent wingback that can also defend would be a bonus too. 

KyleLafferty

3rd would be expectations met. 4th would only be acceptable if we somehow were in Europe after the World Cup, or we won the League cup or Scottish.

We just need to make sure we are still in the mix come the break for the World Cup, I don’t expect us to cope well with the away games in the league after playing on the Thursday.

Atleast 2 trips to Hampden.

Win Atleast once in Glasgow.

Sign 2-3 quality players that can win games for us. 

Ainsley Harriott

A trophy and European qualification. Reaching a final isn't an achievement, winning trophies is.

We will get top 6, Europe will hit us hard and should not be underestimated. Qualification for Europe next year and a cup run or two is our lot.

smartin1987

Top 4 in the league. Would take a league cup win. Scottish cup maybe semis. Would also like to beat the old firm at home. Away record still needs work.Europe just happy to be there.

Improvement in quality of squad depth/first 11. 

3rd in the league with an increased points total

Cup runs in both cups. I'm loathed to out finals as all it takes is to be drawn against OF away before the final. However if we do get drawn against them I at least want a performance we can be happy with even if we get beat.

Europe, subject to who we are drawn against but good performances and a win or two.

The Wrinkly Ninja

3rd in the league.

Not getting papped out a cup at home by anyone or away by a diddy team.

4 home performances in Europe that make me go home thinking we’ve done our best there.

4 away performances in Europe that don’t cause a riddy.

8 points from old firm games.

26 points from the rest of the top 6.

43 points from bottom 6 clubs.

A couple of decent corners.

1 throw in near the oppositions box that doesn’t end up back at our centre half.

Top 4 and a cup win is what I expect. Whether we will deliver that is another story, Recruitment is going to be hugely important this summer, we simply have to add more quality to the team/squad, no more squad fillers like gino, gms, mceneff, Woodburn etc, we should only be recruiting players who can seriously challenge to be in the 1st team and who can come in and contribute consistently, those who are a level above what we already have. I'm not expecting much in europe, just hopefully we don't get pumped in every match.

1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

3rd and another final. Close the points difference between us and old firm. 

This. 

I'd say retaining top 3 is a big priority.

We should give Europe a proper go too, set a precedent for future years.

And obviously a cup win would be brilliant. I'd like to finally win the LC!

Domestically, 3rd. GD +20,  the semi final stage of both cups. Nobody should be putting us out except the OF imo. Not to drop points against the bottom 3 clubs and to not lose by more than 3 goals in a game. 

In Europe, I think it’s 6 games in the group stage, assuming we’re in the conference, I’d like to notch a couple of wins. I’m not expecting us to make it out, but let’s try and contribute to the coefficient. 

Edited by OTT

Anything less than 3rd is inexcusable with the funds we now have.

Scottish cup semi minimum

League cup semi minimum

Europe, just give it a good go. If we lose every game but put 100% in I'm happy. If we show up and piss the bed I'm not happy.

3rd place two years in a row would be fantastic.

Decent runs on both domestic cups (at least Quarter Finals).

Avoiding humiliation in Europe.

Unbeaten in all derbies.

Bungalow Bill

Same as always for me, 3rd in the league with a trip to Hampden and come out on top in the derbies. 

tartofmidlothian

The League - 3rd place is essential again, although however we do it's fine by me. Aberdeen and Hibs can't be as guff again, can they? Even if the challenge is strong and we have to wait until the final weeks, we have the team and the platform to keep going. Anything less is a fail.

Scottish Cup and League Cup - These things are a lottery, depending on the draw. It's impossible to expect anything, but if we keep going in every cup like we did in the Scottish Cup this season, we'll start ending up in finals where we're not the underdog.

Europe - What's our seeding like? The only thing we can demand is no more Birkirkara style embarrassments, and hopefully one or two Braga style results against teams we've all heard of.

Heartsofgold

Consolidate 3rd place as a minimum.  Good runs in the cups with a Final in 1 would be seen as a good season, winning either makes it a fantastic season (as long as 3rd is achieved as well). 

The lure of group stage European football in the next few seasons is a game changer and we need to ensure we get that place an no one else.

Ron Burgundy
43 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

A trophy and European qualification. Reaching a final isn't an achievement, winning trophies is.

Absolutely. Sick of reaching finals and losing.