League of Ireland (match fixing)

RustyRightPeg

10 arrests today.  All have been released without charge this evening, and a file is being prepared for the Irish Director of Public Prosecutions.  According to local news reports here, 2 of those arrested are current players and 5 are retired.

It's also understood that the match-fixing allegations relate to dates before 2019, and that several of those arrested had expected that they might be.  The arrests are a follow-up to an investigation in 2019 when several players were interviewed by police and a number of phones and other devices were seized.  News reports also describe today's arrests as "the tip of the iceberg".

Police officers attended games and analysed whether players were doing things like deliberately defending badly or getting themselves sent off - particularly "when a certain team lost".  Detectives were also aware that supporters of one club (not yet named) were successfully betting on their own team to lose.  Although the discussion forums have been locked down for fear of defamation, the rumours are that a player "in the know" was giving supporters betting tip-offs ahead of particular games.

Edited by Ulysses

I suspect it's much easier to fix a league like that one, that has less global interest and smaller numbers of fans and sponsors. 

Both the League of Ireland and NIFL Premiership are good for some questionable results, or players doing totally mental things out of nowhere.  Might be a bit more scrutiny now. 

18 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I suspect it's much easier to fix a league like that one, that has less global interest and smaller numbers of fans and sponsors. 

Both the League of Ireland and NIFL Premiership are good for some questionable results, or players doing totally mental things out of nowhere.  Might be a bit more scrutiny now. 

It's usually the minor leagues and minor sporting events that attract the attention of gambling syndicates and results fixers.

12 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

It's usually the minor leagues and minor sporting events that attract the attention of gambling syndicates and results fixers.

Indeed. Easier to sway a lower league player with a paper bag full of cash than it would be your multi-millionaires. 

Brick Tamland
39 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Our league's been rigged for decades - just in a different way 😕

Yep, Lanarkshire referees for the cup final getting tickets for the Sevco end is a decent example of how our rigged system works 

Tasavallan
3 hours ago, Sherbet said:

Maybe should look at a fixture in paisley involving an Irish team in 1986

Regardless, Craig Levein should have not eaten the raw prawn before the game and we should have beaten Dundee convincedly and then went on to tank Aberdeen in the cup final. 

Ce sera sera

Edited by Tasavallan

2 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Regardless, Craig Levein should have not eaten the raw prawn before the game and we should have beaten Dundee convincedly and then went on to tank Aberdeen in the cup final. 

Ce sera sera

When I finally get around to finishing my alternative timeline machine, that's the one I'll be popping off to.

Doctor FinnBarr
10 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Ce sera sera

Erm, CL never left his house that day due to illness. You following the sisterfister.net claiming he shate himself?

J.T.F.Robertson
7 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Erm, CL never left his house that day due to illness. You following the sisterfister.net claiming he shate himself?

This!

If he "shit it" it was because he was literally shitting himself. This garbage is just that, garbage.

WTF, after being a mainstay all that season would he not want to be involved at the last hurdle?

Absolute, utter shite. And for what it's worth, I was back for it.

Doctor FinnBarr
9 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

This!

If he "shit it" it was because he was literally shitting himself. This garbage is just that, garbage.

WTF, after being a mainstay all that season would he not want to be involved at the last hurdle?

Absolute, utter shite. And for what it's worth, I was back for it.

In all honesty it was only Hobbits that claimed it to make themselves to somehow feel relevant.

i wish jj was my dad
4 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

In all honesty it was only Hobbits that claimed it to make themselves to somehow feel relevant.

Agreed. Unfortunate that their made up bollocks seeps onto a Hearts forum

john thomas
5 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Gary Mackay ?

Bindy Badgy
On 19/05/2022 at 23:37, Ulysses said:

Same with tennis. You would need a lot of cash to bribe Federer. Much easier to bribe someone that doesn't have enough cash to pay his coach.