The good/bad luck Rangers thread ( merged )

Naisys Tackle

49 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Different opinion. Let's stick to football? 

Fair enough but you started it 🤔

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Sooks

• redjambo

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I wonder how much Rangers missed out on by refusing to have a beam back at Ibrox?

Why would they not do a beam back to Ibrox ? 🤔 

42 minutes ago, Boab said:

Bonkers thinking is hoping the old firm and every other Scottish team losing, dropping down the rankings and, if we do qualify for Europe, playing Back of Beyond Utd at the end of June.
We are guaranteed Euro Football right up to this upcoming circus of a World Cup. I'm happy that it's off the back of other teams raising our country's coefficient.
If we really achieve, we could be playing Euro Football after the New Year for the first time in over 30 years.

I think there is a happy medium whereby Celtic and Rangers raise the coefficient but don't win anything and don't get loads of Championship league money.

i.e. Rangers had done just enough thank you very much, but don't win the thing.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Costanza said:

I think there is a happy medium whereby Celtic and Rangers raise the coefficient but don't win anything and don't get loads of Championship league money.

100%

Get out the group stages of the Europa or conference then get knocked out whenever. 

No to the ucl and 100% no to winning a trophy. 

22 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Double-edged sword really.

Coefficient is such right now that one team will go into groups with the money that brings.

Said it earlier, reasonable results in Europe will maintain the coefficient and benefit us.

Naisys Tackle
16 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yet they all sing the same songs we hear whenever they play. I'm sure your dad has never joined in though and vehemently opposed their non Catholic signing policy.

No wonder sectarianism doesn't die out here when it's conveniently swept under the carpet with excuses.

He probably didn't care and concentrated on the football.  I've no idea how Romanov got his money he was spending on us either because I didn't really care nor was I outraged when we had Wonga on our tops.   The non-catholic policy was probably more commonly known to Catholics or those that attended RC schools.  It's not as if they had messageboards or twitter to discuss either and I'm not sure many Celtic/Hibs fans would have wanted to play for Rangers regardless. 

3 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Beautiful day today, spending the morning getting it right up the unionists. They're inconsolable.

I'm as unionist.

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, Boab said:

Bonkers thinking is hoping the old firm and every other Scottish team losing, dropping down the rankings and, if we do qualify for Europe, playing Back of Beyond Utd at the end of June.
We are guaranteed Euro Football right up to this upcoming circus of a World Cup. I'm happy that it's off the back of other teams raising our country's coefficient.
If we really achieve, we could be playing Euro Football after the New Year for the first time in over 30 years.

Not nearly enough hate in this post for me.

I ******* despise them equally. Some slavering idiot telling all non OF fans that there’s a trickle down effect from them doing well and making more money is pure unadulterated bull$#!t. They already have the league wrapped up in a nice bow tied-package before a ball is kicked. Every season (other than this one) they’re knocked out off Europe by a team supposedly with more money and we’re all supposed to feel bad. Welcome to our world. They borrowed a guy making more a week than some of our starting squad make in a year. He was a sub last night. Not even a starter. Both teams and their scummy fans can go throw $#!t at each other. I’ll never lose sleep wishing they’d done better in Europe. 

3 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Not nearly enough hate in this post for me.

I ******* despise them equally. Some slavering idiot telling all non OF fans that there’s a trickle down effect from them doing well and making more money is pure unadulterated bull$#!t. They already have the league wrapped up in a nice bow tied-package before a ball is kicked. Every season (other than this one) they’re knocked out off Europe by a team supposedly with more money and we’re all supposed to feel bad. Welcome to our world. They borrowed a guy making more a week than some of our starting squad make in a year. He was a sub last night. Not even a starter. Both teams and their scummy fans can go throw $#!t at each other. I’ll never lose sleep wishing they’d done better in Europe. 

So, the 8M we could make next season is unadulterated bull**** ?

Thanks for clearing that up. 
Let’s hope Scotland takes a dive and we can get back to the League Cup Group Stage with all it’s riches !

10 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

He probably didn't care and concentrated on the football.  I've no idea how Romanov got his money he was spending on us either because I didn't really care nor was I outraged when we had Wonga on our tops.   The non-catholic policy was probably more commonly known to Catholics or those that attended RC schools.  It's not as if they had messageboards or twitter to discuss either and I'm not sure many Celtic/Hibs fans would have wanted to play for Rangers regardless. 

:D Bullshit, if you don't mind me saying. I am neither Catholic nor attended a RC school, but I still knew about Rangers' long-standing policy not to sign Catholics. Everyone did. There was even the famous Rikki Fulton sketch about it. I can only assume you are very young or you go about with your head in the sand.

Lesser known perhaps was Rangers policy on no facial hair for its footballers.

HeartsandonlyHearts
8 minutes ago, Boab said:

So, the 8M we could make next season is unadulterated bull**** ?

Thanks for clearing that up. 
Let’s hope Scotland takes a dive and we can get back to the League Cup Group Stage with all it’s riches !

Don’t think teams qualifying for Europe play in the league cup group stage.

Naisys Tackle
20 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D Bullshit, if you don't mind me saying. I am neither Catholic nor attended a RC school, but I still knew about Rangers' long-standing policy not to sign Catholics. Everyone did. There was even the famous Rikki Fulton sketch about it. I can only assume you are very young or you go about with your head in the sand.

Fair enough.

Did many people care about it back then?  I'm sure it's a bigger deal these days because most religions and cultures mix. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
5 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

There was at least 4 but anyway. 

Who cares if there was 5 or a hundred?

They lost in an absolutely beautiful fashion.

Thats what I’ll remember. Hope their flights are delayed too and the airport runs out of beer.

17 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Don’t think teams qualifying for Europe play in the league cup group stage.

I’m perfectly aware of that. 
If our coefficient fell significantly, it would be harder to qualify and we, for example, would go in at an earlier round against a smaller team. 
Y’know…less revenue for Hearts ?

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Fair enough.

Did many people care about it back then?  I'm sure it's a bigger deal these days because most religions and cultures mix. 

Yes they did. I don't think people got upset about it very much though, it was just the way it was. But it did mean that I, for example, held Rangers in very low esteem. There was one case of a Rangers player who married a Catholic and had to leave the club, another where the kit man refused to put out the kit for a Catholic player who was signed after the policy was eventually relaxed, etc, etc. That, combined with Rangers being considered the "establishment club" led to a lot of anti-Catholic discrimination. I've always believed in fairness and for the removal of prejudice wherever possible, and so Rangers' policy was anathema to me.

Anyway, the only thing that I'm getting at there is that you seem to be minimising it by saying that it wasn't widely known. It was *very* widely known. It helped fuel prejudice, and that prejudice has continued on in some folk today. Sadly, we have a long way to go.

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Yes they did. I don't think people got upset about it very much though, it was just the way it was. But it did mean that I, for example, held Rangers in very low esteem. There was one case of a Rangers player who married a Catholic and had to leave the club, another where the kit man refused to put out the kit for a Catholic player who was signed after the policy was eventually relaxed, etc, etc. That, combined with Rangers being considered the "establishment club" led to a lot of anti-Catholic discrimination. I've always believed in fairness and for the removal of prejudice wherever possible, and so Rangers' policy was anathema to me.

Anyway, the only thing that I'm getting at there is that you seem to be minimising it by saying that it wasn't widely known. It was *very* widely known. It helped fuel prejudice, and that prejudice has continued on in some folk today. Sadly, we have a long way to go.

Cool no worries.  I do know a relative of mines (ended up a lower league jobber) was scouted by rangers to be signed until they asked what school he went to but nobody was really bothered at the outcome. 

Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

Cool no worries.  I do know a relative of mines (ended up a lower league jobber) was scouted by rangers to be signed until they asked what school he went to but nobody was really bothered at the outcome. 

No problem, RT. Just wanted to set the record straight. :thumb: Just such a shame that, illustrated by your example, religious discrimination is treated as being matter-of-fact normal.

May one-six
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Alex Ferguson got grief from a director at Ibrox because he married a Catholic. That's why he loved to get it up them.

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Alex Ferguson has spoken in the past about his experience at Ibrox with his wife being catholic.

The fact it’s still being talked about 50 years later is a bit messed up !

1 minute ago, May one-six said:

Alex Ferguson got grief from a director at Ibrox because he married a Catholic. That's why he loved to get it up them.

Just nipped in front of me there, mate !

😂

Naisys Tackle
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

No problem, RT. Just wanted to set the record straight. :thumb: Just such a shame that, illustrated by your example, religious discrimination is treated as being matter-of-fact normal.

Cheers mate.  And true. 

What a totally shit thread direction for an already totally shit thread ......................... kill it with fire

Riccarton3

Should have had a big bouncy bouncy when Frankfurt were taking pens. (Un)fortunately, it looks like so much alcohol and sun meant they couldn't really contribute much as a distraction. Just leaning on each other, static.

Edited by Riccarton3

4 minutes ago, May one-six said:

Great minds think alike 😂

👍
It's fickle though. Even though the policy was done away with, when Mo Johnson signed and scored, the supporters lapped it up.
Equally when Alfie Conn went to Celtic he was public enemy number 1.
It's a load of shite really.

Edited by Boab

22 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What a totally shit thread direction for an already totally shit thread ......................... kill it with fire

Hurting after last night?

HeartsandonlyHearts
16 minutes ago, Boab said:

I’m perfectly aware of that. 
If our coefficient fell significantly, it would be harder to qualify and we, for example, would go in at an earlier round against a smaller team. 
Y’know…less revenue for Hearts ?

I’m perfectly aware of that. But then it’s up to Hearts to continue to improve and solidify our chances of third every year. In Scottish football “the best of the rest” is an actual thing. Celtic and Newco getting good results in Europe does nothing in getting Hearts closer to them. You mentioned we’d potentially make 8 million. What’s their potential windfall? As long as they’re making 7/8 times what we make, then we’re not getting close. It’s time for us to be selfish and pull away from the pack chasing us. The OF don’t give a **** about Scottish football. We’re all cannon fodder and scheduled opponents for them. That’s all. The GFA, government and media are scared of them and are in their back pocket until needed. Scotland is a second rate footballing nation run by a third rate association.

Hearts and only Hearts is all I care about. I loved watching Newco fans last night after realizing their European dream was dead.

15 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I’m perfectly aware of that. But then it’s up to Hearts to continue to improve and solidify our chances of third every year. In Scottish football “the best of the rest” is an actual thing. Celtic and Newco getting good results in Europe does nothing in getting Hearts closer to them. You mentioned we’d potentially make 8 million. What’s their potential windfall? As long as they’re making 7/8 times what we make, then we’re not getting close. It’s time for us to be selfish and pull away from the pack chasing us. The OF don’t give a **** about Scottish football. We’re all cannon fodder and scheduled opponents for them. That’s all. The GFA, government and media are scared of them and are in their back pocket until needed. Scotland is a second rate footballing nation run by a third rate association.

Hearts and only Hearts is all I care about. I loved watching Newco fans last night after realizing their European dream was dead.

Sorry, disagree completely.

The coefficient being where it is now, gives us an opportunity to get close to them domestically. 

This season was unusual in that one of them got close to winning it. My point is, that doesn't need to happen in future for us to benefit. They could both be bounced out the CL and get to the knockout stages of the other tournaments for the countries coefficient to be maintained at a level that benefits us in future seasons if we can finish third...or higher.

As regards money, Sevco could easily lose their CL Play-Off tie and be in the same tournament as us so the 7 or 8 times the money isn't necessarily true in all scenarios.

We are in a good place. Next season could be very rewarding. Realism has to be added though. Competing with teams who have 100K ST holders between them will always be difficult, regardless of how they perform in Europe. We've split them before though, and could do so again. 

Will Hearts win the League in my lifetime ? I'd love to say yes but realistically it's a huge ask.

Edited by Boab

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Only my head from the celebratory sooks : - D

:D :thumb:

chuck berrys hairline

Rangers wouldn't sign my Uncle because my gran was a catholic. He played for Dundee Utd and Hibs 😂 so maybe that helped their thinking back then. Was 60s/70s my uncle was Brian Eddie 

Raising the Co-efficient IS a good thing for the entire top league, opening more slots in the league for more teams to qualify for one of the three different European competitions.

IF different teams were the ones raising the co-efficient by getting to group stages then that'd be great.

Different teams would generate tens of millions each year for themselves and then someone else would get it the year after.

But in Scotland we're relying on the same two teams to do all the work.

They get even richer and ever more unassailable at the top of the domestic game and the wee teams only get a pittance from their European adventures.

Hearts getting £5million is bloody brilliant but if it's at the cost of the OF getting £30million more each, what's that £5mil going to do for us??

HeartsandonlyHearts
42 minutes ago, Boab said:

Sorry, disagree completely.

The coefficient being where it is now, gives us an opportunity to get close to them domestically. 

This season was unusual in that one of them got close to winning it. My point is, that doesn't need to happen in future for us to benefit. They could both be bounced out the CL and get to the knockout stages of the other tournaments for the countries coefficient to be maintained at a level that benefits us in future seasons if we can finish third...or higher.

As regards money, Sevco could easily lose their CL Play-Off tie and be in the same tournament as us so the 7 or 8 times the money isn't necessarily true in all scenarios.

We are in a good place. Next season could be very rewarding. Realism has to be added though. Competing with teams who have 100K ST holders between them will always be difficult, regardless of how they perform in Europe. We've split them before though, and could do so again. 

Will Hearts win the League in my lifetime ? I'd love to say yes but realistically it's a huge ask.

From about 1970 until I moved away in 1988 I bought the Wee Red Book and swore “this will be the year” I still go into every first league game of the season thinking this will be the year. That’ll never stop for me. 
I agree we’re in a good place right now but we have to start being like the two @$$ cheeks. Selfish to a fault. The vote to have us demoted showed us exactly how we have to behave moving forward. Hearts and only Hearts.

If we continue being third, make money in Europe, have long cup runs then we’ll be able to afford the next level of player. The OF will always have more money due to as you stated gate sizes every two weeks. Hearts need to continue to improve and get closer season by season. The OF may cripple themselves trying to keep the same type of distance between themselves and us, while still trying to pull away from each other. I’m going to continue to dream that I’ll see a Hearts league win one day. I just wish our $#!tty association and football media could get on board with the fact that a competitive league is better than the same two horse race every season.

We can all dream.

HHGH

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Should have had a big bouncy bouncy when Frankfurt were taking pens. (Un)fortunately, it looks like so much alcohol and sun meant they couldn't really contribute much as a distraction. Just leaning on each other, static.

We were watching thinking it would have been a lot more fun to have the pens at the Frankfurt end.

1 hour ago, Boab said:

👍
It's fickle though. Even though the policy was done away with, when Mo Johnson signed and scored, the supporters lapped it up.
Equally when Alfie Conn went to Celtic he was public enemy number 1.
It's a load of shite really.

I was working with a rabid bluenose at the time. He was in a foul mood for about two weeks following news of Johnson signing - for no reason other than him being a Catholic. Not even the fact that they'd snatched him from under the noses of Celtic could console him. I'm not even sure that the goals satisfied him.

He headed back north and I found out that he'd tell potential clients that he supported Motherwell as he didn't want Celtic supporters refusing to give him their business if they found out his true leanings.

100000 of their fans there seemingly.

I bet every one of those fans is glad they put their hands in their pocket to save their club...

Oh, wait...

Riccarton3
4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

We were watching thinking it would have been a lot more fun to have the pens at the Frankfurt end.

I was working with a rabid bluenose at the time. He was in a foul mood for about two weeks following news of Johnson signing - for no reason other than him being a Catholic. Not even the fact that they'd snatched him from under the noses of Celtic could console him. I'm not even sure that the goals satisfied him.

He headed back north and I found out that he'd tell potential clients that he supported Motherwell as he didn't want Celtic supporters refusing to give him their business if they found out his true leanings.

Aside from that, the pens were top notch. Maybe only the fourth one looked a little unconvincing. The third one made me laugh. Just absolutely screams it into the top corner

1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

Aside from that, the pens were top notch. Maybe only the fourth one looked a little unconvincing. The third one made me laugh. Just absolutely screams it into the top corner

Two went in off the post, and one just escaped McGregor's fingertips. But yes, top notch in general. Apart from one, of course. :)

Riccarton3
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Two went in off the post, and one just escaped McGregor's fingertips. But yes, top notch in general. Apart from one, of course. :)

Just seemed like clean striking. No stupid stuttered run ups, not not looking at the ball or other gimmicks. Are there no highlights of the game someone can post? Mikey?

2 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Just seemed like clean striking. No stupid stuttered run ups, not not looking at the ball or other gimmicks. Are there no highlights of the game someone can post? Mikey?

If it's the penalty shoot-out you're after, here you are. Highlights of the whole game are also on Youtube (just search "Eintracht Rangers").

Just now, FarmerTweedy said:

How do you sign something loud?

You move your hands a *lot*.

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Te fotmob app has highlights. 

Decent for scores as well.

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Fair enough.

Put it this way—the first Scottish football club I ever heard of was "Glasgow Rangers," from the lyrics of this song, off of The Pogues Peace and Love album.

"I've always had to depend upon the kindness of strangers

But I've never been asked and never replied if I supported Glasgow Rangers"

Odd lyric, I thought, so I hunted down what it meant. The story was that it had long been illegal to discriminate against Catholics, so to get around that, interviewees were pressed if they supported Rangers. Effectively the same thing but not illegal.

I learned all this as a teenager in the early 90s in the US. That's how widely known it was.

August Landmesser
3 hours ago, redjambo said:

surely not the honorable, upstanding gentleman that was Jimmy Bell?

HeartsandonlyHearts
46 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

How do you sign something loud?

Capital letters

part_time_jambo
5 hours ago, redjambo said:

Obviously pre Donald Findlay wit his absolutely naff facial hair.

part_time_jambo
5 hours ago, May one-six said:

And here's me thinking it was because he wanted to win.

part_time_jambo
3 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

From about 1970 until I moved away in 1988 I bought the Wee Red Book and swore “this will be the year” I still go into every first league game of the season thinking this will be the year. That’ll never stop for me. 
I agree we’re in a good place right now but we have to start being like the two @$$ cheeks. Selfish to a fault. The vote to have us demoted showed us exactly how we have to behave moving forward. Hearts and only Hearts.

If we continue being third, make money in Europe, have long cup runs then we’ll be able to afford the next level of player. The OF will always have more money due to as you stated gate sizes every two weeks. Hearts need to continue to improve and get closer season by season. The OF may cripple themselves trying to keep the same type of distance between themselves and us, while still trying to pull away from each other. I’m going to continue to dream that I’ll see a Hearts league win one day. I just wish our $#!tty association and football media could get on board with the fact that a competitive league is better than the same two horse race every season.

We can all dream.

HHGH

I loved the wee red book. A mine of information. Do they still sell it?