Jump to content

Recommend a Kebab


otterjohn
 Share

Recommended Posts

otterjohn

Looking for some Kickback help

Any ideas where I can get a really good Donner or Chicken Kebab in either West Lothian or Edinburgh

Especially with the old style chilli sauce and salad dressing

Cheers in Advance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greedy Jambo
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Looking for some Kickback help

Any ideas where I can get a really good Donner or Chicken Kebab in either West Lothian or Edinburgh

Especially with the old style chilli sauce and salad dressing

Cheers in Advance

 

Karishma in Livingston is my go to, ask for the salad and sauce separate though. 

I usually get a medium chicken and a medium shish, or chicken tikka tandoori with a chapati, comes with rice, salad and curry sauce. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

manaliveits105

Topkapi - Fountainbridge 

used to be good not been in years 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

otterjohn
Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

 

Karishma in Livingston is my go to, ask for the salad and sauce separate though. 

I usually get a medium shicken and a medium shish, or chicken tikka tandoori with a chapati. 

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gorgie_Rules
Posted (edited)

Always struggle for a proper good kebab in centre if Edinburgh. The place at the top of the waverly steps used to decent but not been in years. Heard Kebab Mahal is good but never been.

 

The German Donner Kebab place on Lothian Road is terrible.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gorgie_Rules said:

Always struggle for a proper kebab good kebab in centre if Edinburgh. The place at the top of the waverly steps used to decent but not been in years. Heard Kebab Mahal is good but never been.

 

The German Donner Kebab place on Lothian Road is terrible.

I love German Doner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

Topkapi - Fountainbridge 

used to be good not been in years 

It's no longer open. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greedy Jambo
10 minutes ago, Mister T said:

Palmera at surgeon's hall

 

Pics or it didnae happen. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FinnBarr Saunders
1 hour ago, otterjohn said:

Looking for some Kickback help

Any ideas where I can get a really good Donner or Chicken Kebab in either West Lothian or Edinburgh

Especially with the old style chilli sauce and salad dressing

Cheers in Advance

 

Marmaris in Polbeth isn't bad, no minimum order for delivery. Got a donner calzone the other night, came with 2 sauces, no idea what one was as I was only interested in the chilli.

Talking of chilli, you should give OPA OPA Greek food in Livi a bash, not terribly hot but they do a chilli yoghurt, loved it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

manaliveits105
7 hours ago, Norm said:

It's no longer open. 

🙁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

conn artist

It's all about shawarma these days it seems. Aleppo at the roundabout opppsite Saughton Park is incredible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Konrad von Carstein
2 hours ago, conn artist said:

It's all about shawarma these days it seems. Aleppo at the roundabout opppsite Saughton Park is incredible.

Stenhouse Cross?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the general
2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Stenhouse Cross?

 

Or near  old Wheatsheaf ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

conn artist
2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Stenhouse Cross?

At the skatepark/ balgreen side.

 

193 balgreen rd according to Google. 

 

The lamb shawarma wrap is delicious. So is the baba ganoush, hummus, falafel sides. 

 

 

http://myaleppogrill.com/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seymour M Hersh

Scott Brown's yer man for a kebab recommendation in Edinburgh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Herbert.

Javits do good kebabs, I live in Fife though and the quality is that bad here javits could be mediocre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It upsets me when chippies use iceberg lettuce instead of cabbage for the salad. Like do they realise how much it ruins the experience? Arseholes. 

 

Also when they manage to cock up the sauces and you end up with this cream coloured mayo instead of the garlic sauce. 

 

See if you run a chippy and you're currently using lettuce instead of cabbage, I hope your next shites a hedgehog you grade 1 prick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Javits do good kebabs, I live in Fife though and the quality is that bad here javits could be mediocre.

Shalimar in Rosyth! Love their Keeeeeeeeeeebabs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Konrad von Carstein

The Brig chippy in Dunfermline does great kebabs (is a pretty decent chippy in general).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Restonbabe

Javits at top of hyvot on drum street. Won the best kebab in the uk a few years ago. 

Unrivaled for his donner kebab or Shish kebab. 

Failing that dersim kebab house on Dalry Road does the best chicken kebab ive ever had.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Herbert.
1 hour ago, Kenbo said:

Shalimar in Rosyth! Love their Keeeeeeeeeeebabs!

 

 

Fife needs a Javits. I used to travel from kirkcaldy for marmaris in Rosyth when it opened but it went downhill after a wee while. Edinburgh is spoilt for take aways they have a nerve calling anything shite until they've been to deep fryer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

iantjambo
6 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Stenhouse Cross?


That’s Ali’s. Used to be good along there but not had one from there for ages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EH11_2NL

Curry King in Bathgate. Old style kebab that has your fingers stinking for days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morgan
3 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

has your fingers stinking for days. 

I think you’re on the wrong thread.  :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

highlandjambo3

Not in Edinburgh but the post reminded me of my time in Saudi Arabia, the vendor was a guy on a bike with a battered old handmade cart and, he’d turn up every evening and set up outside our camp and literally sell hundreds of these (chicken or lamb) at 50p a pop all with fresh salad, chilli sauce and fresh baked flatbreads, absolutely phenomenal, never tasted anything like it since.

 

 

 

 

E0A425F0-9007-4B98-9ADF-9BE7CA90ECE9.jpeg

B964575C-1650-43CA-8895-8014EC19D9E2.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greedy Jambo
17 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

 

Marmaris in Polbeth isn't bad, no minimum order for delivery. Got a donner calzone the other night, came with 2 sauces, no idea what one was as I was only interested in the chilli.

Talking of chilli, you should give OPA OPA Greek food in Livi a bash, not terribly hot but they do a chilli yoghurt, loved it.

I've been meaning to try that, but can't face the prices, £26 quid for the munchy box, £4 delivery, plus the just eat fee, mental. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Town Loafer

Have heard Marmaris on South Clerk Street (?) is very good. 
 

Would personally recommend Hajar’s Shawarma King on Leven Street, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Topkapi - Fountainbridge 

used to be good not been in years 

Been closed a while now sadly. Think it was forced to close temporarily when the gas explosion happened in the flat above in 2019. Think they just opted not to re-open. Sat empty still to this day.

21 hours ago, Mister T said:

Palmera at surgeon's hall

Kebab Mahal across the road in the square for me is the best around. Best donner meat I've had and they do their own home made chilli sauce as well as the usual bottle sauce on it. Absolutely magic after a night out. Generous portion sizes too. Pakistani family run it so they do a lot of curry dishes too but haven't tried yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone tried the Greek place on Granton Road yet? Looks good but not had the chance to get anything myself yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weakened Offender
6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Anyone tried the Greek place on Granton Road yet? Looks good but not had the chance to get anything myself yet.

 

The wee Greek cafe just up from the Haymarket Bar is worth a visit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

 

The wee Greek cafe just up from the Haymarket Bar is worth a visit. 

Ola Kala? I think I tried food from there a while back when I first went to my Greek mates house in Gorgie. Was my first experience of Greek food IIRC. Lovely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weakened Offender
13 minutes ago, Locky said:

Ola Kala? I think I tried food from there a while back when I first went to my Greek mates house in Gorgie. Was my first experience of Greek food IIRC. Lovely.

 

Aye, that's the one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jeffros Furios
17 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

 

Aye, that's the one. 

A regular haunt Vinny ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Jeffros Furios said:

A regular haunt Vinny ? 

 

You're a regular haunt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Tried Marmaris, wasn't a fan - been going to the Shalimar ever since it opened. Love the kebabs there. Anytime I visit home it's one of my first port's of call!

 

Fife needs a Javits. I used to travel from kirkcaldy for marmaris in Rosyth when it opened but it went downhill after a wee while. Edinburgh is spoilt for take aways they have a nerve calling anything shite until they've been to deep fryer.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not in Edinburgh but the post reminded me of my time in Saudi Arabia, the vendor was a guy on a bike with a battered old handmade cart and, he’d turn up every evening and set up outside our camp and literally sell hundreds of these (chicken or lamb) at 50p a pop all with fresh salad, chilli sauce and fresh baked flatbreads, absolutely phenomenal, never tasted anything like it since.

 

 

 

 

E0A425F0-9007-4B98-9ADF-9BE7CA90ECE9.jpeg

B964575C-1650-43CA-8895-8014EC19D9E2.jpeg

Still loads of wee stalls around Riyadh do this. Although we now have a chain here called London Shawarma - they are epic!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the general
9 hours ago, Henry. Henry. said:

Ali Baba at Haymarket/Dalry Road.    

 

Sadly no more

Ali has retired and it looks like no one has taken on the place yet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ribble

Papa Jaffers Ephesus on Great Junction Street by far and away the best place for a Kebab in Edinburgh, outstanding 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Palmyra

tenor.gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

luckyBatistuta
On 15/05/2022 at 19:52, New Town Loafer said:

Have heard Marmaris on South Clerk Street (?) is very good. 
 

Would personally recommend Hajar’s Shawarma King on Leven Street, though.

Top drawer😋

 

You’ll always see loads of taxi drivers sitting in the Marmaris  too, a recommendation right there.

 

If you get a chance, you should try a YaYas... Juggernaut Hoagie, amazing 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ri Alban
4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Top drawer😋

 

You’ll always see loads of taxi drivers sitting in the Marmaris  too, a recommendation right there.

 

If you get a chance, you should try a YaYas... Juggernaut Hoagie, amazing 

 

 

You're gonnae need a bigger taxi. Are you sure Juggernaut Hoagie isn't your new nickname. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stu_HMFC
On 15/05/2022 at 12:13, Herbert. said:

Javits do good kebabs, I live in Fife though and the quality is that bad here javits could be mediocre.

Shite I live up from it massively over rated the jubilee over from it isn’t the best either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stu_HMFC
9 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

The corbi chippie does a decent chicken kebab.

DMains - got a Kebab pizza few years ago was alright from there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You're gonnae need a bigger taxi. Are you sure Juggernaut Hoagie isn't your new nickname. :D

:lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Popular Now

×
×
  • Create New...