***** Official Heart of Midlothian v The Rangers Scottish Cup Final 2022 Match Thread *****

Jambos_1874

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, cosanostra said:

Agree. Beni, Haring, Devlin have taken us as far as they can. They're good players but Rangers and Celtic can afford better.

It's going to be tough trying to upgrade on them without spending millions. 

Beni has the making of a good midfielder, the others aren't Good enough to contest v the of. 

Haring, for all he brings, if he ever strides forward and makes a cutting pass I think I'd fall over. 

Devlin is very raw, won the ball a few times but his composure and intelligence is lacking. 

Totally dominanted by them. 

We go again next season. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iantjambo

• Don Dan

• Riccarton3

• Harry Potter

3 minutes ago, TuckerCarlsonsToupee said:

Finishing third is a good achievement, Neilson deserves great credit for that.  But this performance has been utterly dreadful.  Aside from a few moments in the early stages of the first half, we didn't turn up.  Both full backs were exposed and offered no threat going forward, the midfield was non-existent...I genuinely can't remember us making three passes in a row in the entirety of the second half...McKay was invisible, as poor a performance from a Hearts player as I have seen this season.  

Was it tactical?  Is Neilson to blame?  Was it just the gulf in quality?  How significant was the "wounded animal" thing?  Have we allowed finishing third to blind us to the deficiencies in the squad?  Could we have done anything differently?  Is it good enough just to get to a Cup final?

Who knows.  Not me.  I'm not particularly upset, I'm not locked in a darkened room, I'm disappointed.  I felt, obviously incorrectly, that we could be competitive today.  If rumours are to be believed and we are genuinely looking to the likes of Forrest and Shankland as summer signings, I fear we won't progress next year.  Now I'm just ranting.  I'm sorry.

What was plan B by Robbie after we sat in and finally lost a goal?

There seemed to be no plan B, there seemed to be no plan A 

Away from home we are very very poor.

The zombies deserved that and I can't stand them, but they had a plan.

Ron Burgundy
5 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

You will never win a trophy when your whole game plan is to give up possession and try not to concede.

Bingo. 

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, Australis said:

Spot on 👍

Hearts wage bill: £4 million

Rangers wage bill: £23.5 million

We're trying to compete against that gap with several players being not match fit.

Lost when Boycie left the field.

Oh and can we please stop with the Atkinson is a football player, pish. He costs us again and again. 

16 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Promotion again first time of asking, 3rd place finish, cup final, but Phoodle out because we lost to a team with resources that sbsolutely dwarve ours in extra time while half our squad weren't fully fit.

Some of our fans are mental.

This

However he needs to go ****ing mental at them for barely putting the effort in after the first 45

Riccarton3
1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

No he didn't 

We hardly lost the game due to one substitution made 

Boyce done well for us but he was injured otherwise he would have stayed on the pitch 

Folk would say Ginnelly for Boyce and you could see it. Leaving 3 up. He MIGHT have played better alongside more than just Simms. But Neilson saw possession.being  lost continually and team ovrrrun so went Halliday. The being overrun was fairly comprehensive.

13 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Shite.

Thank you Craig Gordon and John Souttar for giving us hope. You didn't deserve to lose.

Why would you thank John souter, ? he stuck two fingers up to hearts, he's a rat.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

First 15-25 mins outstanding, matching Rangers all over the park, pressing and playing good attacking football. 

From 70 minutes on no pressure on Rangers at all, rangers knocking it about taking the piss, still we stick with the 523 with Rangers getting more possession, due to having an extra man in midfield, the extra midfielder allowed the freedom of Hampden. 

The goals we lost due to no pressure on the ball extra, 2nd goal embarrassing effort from Hearts to chase back. 

Subs Halliday shite but then the position Robbie put him WTF 😂

Ginnelly don't blame him. 

Souttar and Gordon 👍👏

Robbie 0/10

You’ll have a good night tho. 

1 minute ago, Kxf51 said:

Why would you thank John souter, ? he stuck two fingers up to hearts, he's a rat.

:cornette:

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

feel worse the morra bud, dont do it

very true

Dissapointed with the result but really we can't have any complaints today.

I honestly felt we were going to do it especially when CG made that save with his leg in injury time!!

Thoughts on the game were Defensively Hearts have put a good shift in and there was plenty of effort from all the players, We are a decent side imo and you can see why we have finished 3rd so I have to thank the players for that but i felt offensively we really didn't threaten Rangers goal nearly enough today, at times we were far too deep, perhaps it's that we don't have enough attacking/quality in the team and their attacking players are clearly of a higher standard than ours, really felt Simms was isolated for most of the game, Boyce was decent today but I feel we need someone of a higher quality to help us unlock stronger defences in that number 10 role or supporting role, I feel the difference today was that Rangers full backs pegged us back in our half, I think we potentially need a stronger pair of wingbacks/full backs, to compete with the OF, you see the difference in size and strength between Tavernier/Bassey compared with Cochrane/Atkinson and it looks like men against boys, that's a big reason Rangers won today, but again they have a lot more resources than we do and are able to bring that kind of quality in, I hope our recruitment team can pull a few gems out the bag this close season as we certainly need to strengthen in key areas of the pitch.

I agree with others I really like Simms and would love him to be here next season too.

It's horrible to lose but I felt all in all it was a decent performance today but just not enough quality in going forward and in the final 3rd from us, I hope we can bring that quality in during the summer.

Bongo 1874
9 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

You will never win a trophy when your whole game plan is to give up possession and try not to concede.

👏👍

merseyjambo

Unfortunately we got what we deserved, nothing.

Tactically, I’m not sure what we were even trying to do. You have to go to win a final, not to sit in and hope to catch a break and sneak a goal. We looked like we wanted to take it to penalties.

When Boyce goes off, the decision to bring on Halliday was baffling.

The energy level Sevco showed after 120 minutes in the heat of Seville was unbelievable. We looked like the ones who had done that. 

Other than Gordon and the departing Soutar, there were zero positives from today.

Bongo 1874
3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You’ll have a good night tho. 

Me or you the game was there to be won, and you're boy like levein blew it. 

Bottled it. 

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

We're trying to compete against that gap with several players being not match fit.

So you keep saying.

Everybody accepts that : it's the toothless performance & total lack of creativity we're disappointed with. 

Hearts1975
Just now, Riccarton3 said:

Folk would say Ginnelly for Boyce and you could see it. Leaving 3 up. He MIGHT have played better alongside more than just Simms. But Neilson saw possession.being  lost continually and team ovrrrun so went Halliday. The being overrun was fairly comprehensive.

Correct 

We just lacked options on the bench especially for Simms and Boyce 

We needed players who could hold the ball up and when Boyce went off we struggled badly losing even more possession to them when we were already struggling at that point 

Said it before but if u lose the battle on the flanks to that lot you lose the game they are just a level above us at the moment and that's why we lost the game. They just had us hemmed in our own half especially from half time onward 

best in the land

Need a lot of strengthening on this showing.

Not just squad but first picks.

Souttar replacement won't be easy.

Even keeping Simms we need 2 strikers.

GM's ginnelly macaneff need replacing.

We have some good players like Kingsley and halkett and obviously CG to build on but too many are just meh.

Was disappointed in Barrie McKay today. 

TuckerCarlsonsToupee
5 minutes ago, Australis said:

Plan B appeared much earlier than the loss of the first goal, it was to replace a tiring Boyce with Andy Halliday.  Just think about what that says.  As for Plan A, I think that as early as the closing stages of the first half the decision had been made to "park the bus".  You are right, we are very, very poor away from home.

I don't think it is knee jerk to ask if we will move any further forward, in terms of the quality of play or winning trophies, with Neilson as manager.  Maybe that is knee jerk.  Maybe I'm more upset than I am letting on.

Hearts1975
5 minutes ago, Kxf51 said:

He was immense for us today 

Grow the f... Up 

2 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Dissapointed with the result but really we can't have any complaints today.

I honestly felt we were going to do it especially when CG made that save with his leg in injury time!!

Thoughts on the game were Defensively Hearts have put a good shift in and there was plenty of effort from all the players, We are a decent side imo and you can see why we have finished 3rd so I have to thank the players for that but i felt offensively we really didn't threaten Rangers goal nearly enough today, at times we were far too deep, perhaps it's that we don't have enough attacking/quality in the team and their attacking players are clearly of a higher standard than ours, really felt Simms was isolated for most of the game, Boyce was decent today but I feel we need someone of a higher quality to help us unlock stronger defences in that number 10 role or supporting role, I feel the difference today was that Rangers full backs pegged us back in our half, I think we potentially need a stronger pair of wingbacks/full backs, to compete with the OF, you see the difference in size and strength between Tavernier/Bassey compared with Cochrane/Atkinson and it looks like men against boys, that's a big reason Rangers won today, but again they have a lot more resources than we do and are able to bring that kind of quality in, I hope our recruitment team can pull a few gems out the bag this close season as we certainly need to strengthen in key areas of the pitch.

I agree with others I really like Simms and would love him to be here next season too.

It's horrible to lose but I felt all in all it was a decent performance today but just not enough quality in going forward and in the final 3rd from us, I hope we can bring that quality in during the summer.

It was not a decent performance. 

We held them for the 90, showing absolutely nothing else,  then fell apart.

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

So you keep saying.

Everybody accepts that : it's the toothless performance & total lack of creativity we're disappointed with. 

CAN i just point out Rangers were pish today, we handed them that. 

1 minute ago, best in the land said:

Need a lot of strengthening on this showing.

Not just squad but first picks.

Souttar replacement won't be easy.

Even keeping Simms we need 2 strikers.

GM's ginnelly macaneff need replacing.

We have some good players like Kingsley and halkett and obviously CG to build on but too many are just meh.

Was disappointed in Barrie McKay today. 

Yeah McKay didn't turn up at all. Disappointing from him.

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, TuckerCarlsonsToupee said:

Plan B appeared much earlier than the loss of the first goal, it was to replace a tiring Boyce with Andy Halliday.  Just think about what that says.  As for Plan A, I think that as early as the closing stages of the first half the decision had been made to "park the bus".  You are right, we are very, very poor away from home.

I don't think it is knee jerk to ask if we will move any further forward, in terms of the quality of play or winning trophies, with Neilson as manager.  Maybe that is knee jerk.  Maybe I'm more upset than I am letting on.

No he's taken us as far as he can 👍

Four faces
10 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

One of the teams today cost 5x more than the other team. Important to keep that in mind.

You look at what came off the bench for both teams and that’s the story of the final really.

Our boys put a good shift in but the quality was never there and just nothing left in the tank.

Just needed to keep them out but the legs were not there, a lot of our guys today we’re not fully match fit even from the start. Then we’ve got **** all on the bench. 

Sickening to lose it in that way though pretty much the worst possible way to lose a cup final. But I’m not really going to stick the boot in. How can you when the financial gulf is that vast. Next season we can build it and go again 

Like Soutar, who strolled it and looked strong.We looked like we had played 120 minutes last night.

Naisys Tackle

Sadly our game plan looked similar to the Semi.  Thankfully we went 2 up before sitting back. 

Souttar Gordon and Simms played brilliantly, the rest didn't really show up and do themselves justice.

Still a very good season. 

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No he's taken us as far as he can 👍

I'm sure people said the same this time last year and now we are in Europe until xmas and made another Cup Final. 

1 minute ago, Hmfc1965 said:

It was not a decent performance. 

We held them for the 90, showing absolutely nothing else,  then fell apart.

Not disagreeing that we did fall apart late on mate but the quality of players that Rangers have is way higher than what we have, we were beaten by a better team and need better players to compete with them, as I mentioned our fullbacks got destroyed from Bassey and Tavernier but I think all things considered to have taken the game to Extra time was decent, not great but decent.

14 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Btw we didn't plan to give the ball away, the gulf in quality does that. 

Disappointed but no need to spend the summer blaming Nielson. The second goal shows what happens when you play open against the old firm

Correct. If anyone thinks Neilson was telling the players to give the ball back to Rangers and just sit in and let them attack them they're deluded.

Riccarton3
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You can point it out but you are talking crap. They weren't brilliant but they were not pish. It seems your desire to troll Hearts fans just elicits a stream of pish, ironically

Edited by Riccarton3

Just now, TuckerCarlsonsToupee said:

I'm upset too , but more fed up.

Whatever the plan was today none of the players bought into it or knew it.

We will now in my opinion reach many more cup finals coming up over the years as long as we don't meet any of the @rse cheeks on the way there.

the gulf is way to big to close.

Wish they would be invited into the English league's for more money to them.

The zombies were a class above us today.

5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

They were hardly pish. We didn't compete the way we should have but they were better in every dept. 

Bongo 1874
Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

I'm sure people said the same this time last year and now we are in Europe until xmas and made another Cup Final. 

Happy to be Runner's up like Hibs when we have had both Celtic and Rangers on the ropes in finals, but failed to KO them. 

2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

They said this before he left us last time too, while we were 2nd in the league.

As soon as he left we went in to free fall and eventually got relegated a couple of seasons later.

Edited by Ray Gin

Seymour M Hersh
11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It's effort from the team ffs. Basic desire and a refusal to give in that's missing. Leaving nothing the park. We all ****ing get the wealth disparity. Blood doesn't show on a maroon jersey. Well it wouldn't because todays performance was anaemic.

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

You can point it out but you arep talking crap. They weren't brilliant but they were not pish. It seems your desire to troll Hearts fans just elicits a stream of pish, ironocally

They worked hard for those goals did they? 

Bongo 1874
Just now, EH11_2NL said:

They were hardly pish. We didn't compete the way we should have but they were better in every dept. 

No we handed them there goals. 

I hoped we’d win

i didn’t expect us to

Still too many heartless players

we’re getting there but not anywhere near yet

particularly today 

I salute Souttar and Halkett Boyce and Simms

Gordon, of course 

I’m disappointed with McKay and Kingsley 

I didn’t understand the subs

Im off to do something non football related 

Not heartbroken

Dissapointed

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

They said this before he left us last time too, while we were 2nd in the league.

As soon as he left we went in to free fall and eventually got relegated a couple of seasons later.

The puppetmaster was still at the club 👍 times have changed. 

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

It's effort from the team ffs. Basic desire and a refusal to give in that's missing. Leaving nothing the park. We all ****ing get the wealth disparity. Blood doesn't show on a maroon jersey. Well it wouldn't because todays performance was anaemic.

All the effort in the world can't bridge a gulf in class. We had 5 players who weren't fully match-fit. 3 of them had hardly kicked a ball for months.

I wouldn't say Rangers were ever there for taking, as such, today, however in the first half I feel if we had pressed them harder and at least forced a couple of saves we may have seen a different result. 

2nd half we were pretty much on the backfoot then extra time.. nothing. They notched it up we let them.

has been said on this thread and others throughout the season that we don't have anyone willing to be aggressive and push forward, there's no attitude of ATTACK  ATTACK ATTACK!! 

Doesn't have to be for full 90, just in bursts (most importantly from the off..), directed from the bench and Captain. 

I feel we are relying too much on 1 or 2 forwards (individually as opposed to working together) and a goalie who is asked/expected to perform miracles every single game. 

Even Scotlands' No.1 can't be expected to keep us in every game and save every single shot against him. 

Bongo 1874
Just now, jambopilms said:

What a ****ing surprise Bongo is back and loving it. Not a Hearts fan, enjoying folks pain.

No you talking 💩 about us opening up for the second goal pure and utter pish, look at where we have lost the ball in Rangers half, there has to be a desire to make a recovery to chase back, pure and utter garbage you talk, they wanted it we didn't. 

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Ray Gin said:

All the effort in the world can't bridge a gulf in class. We had 5 players who weren't fully match-fit. 3 of them had hardly kicked a ball for months.

True but the effort has to be there and seen to be there. Can you say it was? 1 more shot at goal (off target) after the first half. They're better than us but not that ****ing good. 

Riccarton3
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

They worked hard for those goals did they? 

You said they were pish. Were they pish? If its us that handed them goals then is it us that are pish? As said, your desire to troll fans have you saying any old shite. Corrrect? Doesnae bother me but it just pollute the Board with shite.

Edited by Riccarton3