Jump to content

Match ratings


Geoff Kilpatrick
 Share

Recommended Posts

GinRummy
1 minute ago, sadj said:

The one in the last minute he should have scored but it was unlucky the one not long before was an awful miss. Maybe confidence but i was thinking outside of the right bit of power and there was a huge gap to hit the net. If it gets blocked we had two following up. Rolled it meekly under Laidlaw and never looked like scoring it

Fair summation. He’s a player who I really want to do well. Puts in so much work and pops up all over the pitch. 

 

As it stands, I hope we can get someone better next season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • McCrae

    6

  • sadj

    8

  • Bunny Munro

    6

  • GinRummy

    10

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, The Dragon Reborn said:

 


Utter madness 😂😂😂

Why bother 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GinRummy
6 minutes ago, Stuttgart 2000 said:

Agreed hes not playing great just now and is definitely missing chances like today and the semi but  that saying I thought he done really using his body to get his goal at Utd last week.

him and Simms have clicked well and with McKay playing them in I’d say that’s are best chance of lifting the cup 👍

I agree, that’s 3 definite starters for the final. Past that, I’m not convinced I’d like Boyce to be an automatic first team pick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s not an issue of pace. It’s been hesitation in front of goal, as well as poor finishing. Does a lot of good work for the tam but in front of goal he’s been awful. 

You mean it’s not just an issue of pace? He is even struggling to lay off the ball properly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Fair summation. He’s a player who I really want to do well. Puts in so much work and pops up all over the pitch. 

 

As it stands, I hope we can get someone better next season. 


I think sitting a bit deeper but having someone like Simms in front really suits his style. His runs today were very good found pockets of space but his finishes were as i said earlier. I think what someone better is , is a difficult thing to say. He brings a lot. I see value in Boyce , Simms and someone like Shankland due to how we play and what each offers. Boyce needs to take the chances though , idea of him being done or selling him though. Not in that camp at all

Edited by sadj
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

You mean it’s not just an issue of pace? He is even struggling to lay off the ball properly.

What does this even mean 😒

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Dragon Reborn said:

 


Utter madness 😂😂😂


When was the last time he scored a 1 v 1 with a keeper?  Have you forgotten the sitters he missed in the semi? He is playing badly and should be benched.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GinRummy
4 minutes ago, McCrae said:

You mean it’s not just an issue of pace? He is even struggling to lay off the ball properly.

Let’s not beat about the bush, he missed two great chances today and at least one gilt edged opportunity in the semi. Nobody would give a shit about his pace if he had scored all three. His finishing is the issue. 

Edited by GinRummy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

GinRummy
3 minutes ago, sadj said:


I think sitting a bit deeper but having someone like Simms in front really suits his style. His runs today were very good found pockets of space but his finishes were as i said earlier. I think what someone better is , is a difficult thing to say. He brings a lot. I see value in Boyce , Simms and someone like Shankland due to how we play and what each offers. Boyce needs to take the chances though , idea of him being done or selling him though. Not in that camp at all

I don’t want shot of him. He suits the deeper role. An automatic first team choice next season? I’d be disappointed. Right now the work he does makes him, more or less,  a starter when fit but even as a 10 his finishing is awful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t want shot of him. He suits the deeper role. An automatic first team choice next season? I’d be disappointed. Right now the work he does makes him, more or less,  a starter when fit but even as a 10 his finishing is awful. 

Sorry pal that bit wasn’t aimed at your goodself….

 

Maybe part of the problem as Iv just been discussing elsewhere is lack of competition for his position/role in the team. An issue for me with that is the cost of another player like Boyce may be prohibitive. He does need to take these chances though. Theres a noticeable difference between the winner v Rangers when he joined and how he tried to take chances at the moment. Bizarrely in the semi if he took the shot the way he did in the last minute today hes scoring it. Football eh 🤣 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GinRummy
1 minute ago, sadj said:

Sorry pal that bit wasn’t aimed at your goodself….

 

Maybe part of the problem as Iv just been discussing elsewhere is lack of competition for his position/role in the team. An issue for me with that is the cost of another player like Boyce may be prohibitive. He does need to take these chances though. Theres a noticeable difference between the winner v Rangers when he joined and how he tried to take chances at the moment. Bizarrely in the semi if he took the shot the way he did in the last minute today hes scoring it. Football eh 🤣 

Yeah, I didn’t think it was aimed at me. He’s a good player. Seems to be struggling for confidence in front of goal and has been for a while. Like you suggest, it might not be easy to find competition for his place but we need to try and find someone who can convert chances better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Dragon Reborn
22 minutes ago, McCrae said:


When was the last time he scored a 1 v 1 with a keeper?  Have you forgotten the sitters he missed in the semi? He is playing badly and should be benched.


Sitters? Plural?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stuttgart 2000
24 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I agree, that’s 3 definite starters for the final. Past that, I’m not convinced I’d like Boyce to be an automatic first team pick. 

Definitely, on the plus side if we are trying to upgrade Boyce next season then that tells you how strong we are as a club right guy now 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stuttgart 2000 said:

Definitely, on the plus side if we are trying to upgrade Boyce next season then that tells you how strong we are as a club right guy now 👍

👌🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No one was great,  no one was bad.

 

No one should be less than a 6, and no one more than a 7.

 

Moore Motm imo.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Radio Ga Ga

I know it’s all about opinions but I thought Moore was excellent today, strolled it**
 

**I did have about eight pints before the game so my brain might have been slightly pickled 🍺

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tazhearts said:

Boyce looked much better when Sims came on and he could drop deeper.

 

Haring was the best player on the pitch.

 

Gordon had a couple of good saves as well.

 

Although Moore and Sibbick played ok it was noticeable that they hardly won a single header all day!

 

 

15 minutes ago, Gambo said:

No one was great,  no one was bad.

 

No one should be less than a 6, and no one more than a 7.

 

Moore Motm imo.

 


summed up perfectly I think. Sibbicks heading 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

gregzy2k7

Do we know the issue with Devlin ? That's 2 games he's missed since the semi final, starting to get a bit worried, hopefully fit for the final.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Newton51
1 hour ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Do we know the issue with Devlin ? That's 2 games he's missed since the semi final, starting to get a bit worried, hopefully fit for the final.

They said rushed him back too quick for the semi final so needs a few more weeks to recover 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Let’s not beat about the bush, he missed two great chances today and at least one gilt edged opportunity in the semi. Nobody would give a shit about his pace if he had scored all three. His finishing is the issue. 

Yep. No one would care if he was scoring….he isn’t though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

colinmaroon
5 hours ago, AGoodLaugh said:

Maybe I'm being overly negative but I wouldn't give a single outfielder on either team more than a 5. Neither team could retain possession, use it effectively when they had it, or capitalise on opposition errors. Gino gets a 3 or a 4 - wrong decision every single time. I'd have subbed him instead of Woodburn today. 

 

 

Very unfair on Atkinson particularly, and Sibbick.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nookie Bear
5 hours ago, OTT said:

I can't wait to see the back of Ginnelly tbh. Might be harsh, but I'm sick of his mincing about when he gets the ball in a dangerous area. He might have the skills to look good and tricky at 5's, but its not working at this level. His most dangerous attribute is his pace. Stop trying to to pull off some skill he saw in the Champions League the other night and start using the skill set he has - Kick and chase, he's faster than 90% of the players in the league so will get there before them more often than not. When he decides to stop dead to try and beat a player the chance is gone because invariably the other side have 5/6 folk back at least to defend. 

 

Also not convinced he's a winger. He's looked more dangerous as a striker running between defenders etc. 

 

Boyce and his god awful finishing is starting to become criminal. Failing to convert what should be straight forward chances will see the team punished. He's not a bad player, but we badly need to try and improve on him in the summer window. 


 Not a good day for either today but would you have said this after the Dundee Utd game, which completely contradicts your post?

 

They are inconsistent but that’s what we get on our budget unfortunately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

colinmaroon

 

 

 

 

Boyce is totally lacking confidence in front of goal.

 

Remember his hat-trick of awful misses at St Mirren a while back.  I get the impression even when he scores it's even then a hit or miss.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Didn't see the game today. Any obvious injuries or niggles ?

 

I didn't notice any.    Noticed Gino stretch and drink some water, possibly tired legs, that's about it.   

 

RC number 4 went down alot though 😂.    Wasn't  a dirty game and not many rash challenges. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:


 Not a good day for either today but would you have said this after the Dundee Utd game, which completely contradicts your post?

 

They are inconsistent but that’s what we get on our budget unfortunately. 


I see where you’re coming from. Boyce stats wise is still one of the best strikers we’ve had. I do think his finishing isn’t great though and there is a need to try and sign better over the summer so we’re less reliant on him. Also think some genuine competition might bring out the best in him. I also think another posters bang on about Boyces lack of confidence. It’s coming at an awful time too. 
 

On Gino, I think it’s probably better taking a view over the season and he’s had a handful of good games but by and large he’s been very frustrating to watch. I think Forrest and RCC will be big improvements on him. I think we can do much better here. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr Kipling

Boyce needs benched next week. Bring him on as a sub and see what he does.

 

Ginnelly is scarily bad! He gets the ball, stalls and then tries to do some nonsense trick all the while the opponents have completely regrouped. He did it today so many times and he has done it all season. He is like having a man down and he is out of his depth in a Hearts jersey. I'm looking forward to him leaving and I'm worried why RN keeps choosing him to play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hearts1975
6 hours ago, OTT said:

I can't wait to see the back of Ginnelly tbh. Might be harsh, but I'm sick of his mincing about when he gets the ball in a dangerous area. He might have the skills to look good and tricky at 5's, but its not working at this level. His most dangerous attribute is his pace. Stop trying to to pull off some skill he saw in the Champions League the other night and start using the skill set he has - Kick and chase, he's faster than 90% of the players in the league so will get there before them more often than not. When he decides to stop dead to try and beat a player the chance is gone because invariably the other side have 5/6 folk back at least to defend. 

 

Also not convinced he's a winger. He's looked more dangerous as a striker running between defenders etc. 

 

Boyce and his god awful finishing is starting to become criminal. Failing to convert what should be straight forward chances will see the team punished. He's not a bad player, but we badly need to try and improve on him in the summer window. 

Ginnellys final ball has always been questionable and he holds on to it too long at times. Yes, he was diabolical today.

Yet, I thought last week he was really good. Inconsistent is the word and as u say I think he just needs to concentrate on what he can do, as opposed to what he can't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

iantjambo
11 hours ago, R1874 said:


he shouldn’t play

 

Wastes chances. Drifts out of games. Been poor against OF this season 

 

Don’t think Rangers will be worried facing him


Who would you play ahead of our top goalscorer?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pans Jambo

Boyce -5

Hes now a howling player. Hate watching him fall over himself, non-existant first touch snd awful passing. Cant shoot either. Why is he here? We can do better than this. Hes done!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i wish jj was my dad
5 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Boyce -5

Hes now a howling player. Hate watching him fall over himself, non-existant first touch snd awful passing. Cant shoot either. Why is he here? We can do better than this. Hes done!

Nonsense. He's a very good player having a sticky patch but he worked his tail off again and never hides. He'll come good again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bunny Munro

Only saw the second half.

 

I thought Sibbick and Moore were ok.

Atkinson looks to be settling in well.

GMS was rank rotten. Absolutely rotten. 

Gino offered more than both GMS and woodburn, but inconsistent.

 

All this chat of Boyce hitting 20 has played on his mind I think, and his form in front of goal collapsed after the penalty miss at home to Celtic.

 

Haring is fantastic. The fact that he isn't automatically first choice with us when everyone is fit baffles me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bunny Munro

Only saw the second half.

 

I thought Sibbick and Moore were ok.

Atkinson looks to be settling in well.

GMS was rank rotten. Absolutely rotten. 

Gino offered more than both GMS and woodburn, but inconsistent.

 

All this chat of Boyce hitting 20 has played on his mind I think, and his form in front of goal collapsed after the penalty miss at home to Celtic.

 

Haring is fantastic. The fact that he isn't automatically first choice with us when everyone is fit baffles me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bunny Munro

Only saw the second half.

 

I thought Sibbick and Moore were ok.

Atkinson looks to be settling in well.

GMS was rank rotten. Absolutely rotten. 

Gino offered more than both GMS and woodburn, but inconsistent.

 

All this chat of Boyce hitting 20 has played on his mind I think, and his form in front of goal collapsed after the penalty miss at home to Celtic.

 

Haring is fantastic. The fact that he isn't automatically first choice with us when everyone is fit baffles me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bunny Munro

Only saw the second half.

 

I thought Sibbick and Moore were ok.

Atkinson looks to be settling in well.

GMS was rank rotten. Absolutely rotten. 

Gino offered more than both GMS and woodburn, but inconsistent.

 

All this chat of Boyce hitting 20 has played on his mind I think, and his form in front of goal collapsed after the penalty miss at home to Celtic.

 

Haring is fantastic. The fact that he isn't automatically first choice with us when everyone is fit baffles me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bunny Munro

Only saw the second half.

 

I thought Sibbick and Moore were ok.

Atkinson looks to be settling in well.

GMS was rank rotten. Absolutely rotten. 

Gino offered more than both GMS and woodburn, but inconsistent.

 

All this chat of Boyce hitting 20 has played on his mind I think, and his form in front of goal collapsed after the penalty miss at home to Celtic.

 

Haring is fantastic. The fact that he isn't automatically first choice with us when everyone is fit baffles me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Mercer Takeover

Gordon - 7 - Solid

Atkinson - 8 - Non stop

Cochrane - 6 - Crossing was suspect 

Sibbick - 6 - No scary moments this week although wasn't under that much pressure during the game. 

Haring - 9 - MOM -One man midfield

Moore - 7 - Getting better with games

McKay - 7 - Seen him better but still creative 

Ginnelly - 3 - Full back had him on toast

Woodburn - 5 - Seemed lost, although worked hard

Boyce - 2 - Utterly honking. Missed two absolute sitters

Mackay-Steven - 5 - So so

 

Subs:

Simms - 5 - Dynamic 

Halliday - 3 - Not really in it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wee Mikey
29 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Only saw the second half.

 

I thought Sibbick and Moore were ok.

Atkinson looks to be settling in well.

GMS was rank rotten. Absolutely rotten. 

Gino offered more than both GMS and woodburn, but inconsistent.

 

All this chat of Boyce hitting 20 has played on his mind I think, and his form in front of goal collapsed after the penalty miss at home to Celtic.

 

Haring is fantastic. The fact that he isn't automatically first choice with us when everyone is fit baffles me.

 

But, How many times did you watch it? 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kirky Jambo

I think we are so used to McKay’s high performance levels he doesn’t always get the recognition he deserves. Whilst not his best ever game I thought he was very good again, would have had another assist if Boyce could finish. His touch, acceleration and weight of passing is on another level.

 

Halliday was great except his free kick.

 

Haring MotM.

 

GMS and Woodburn were ok, just not really happening for them and likely to be on bench for final. Ginelly frustrates sometimes but wasn’t as bad as some make out.

 

Moore and Sibbick did well but perhaps partly down to the opposition sitting off a little. Sibbick lost out a lot to Jordan White in the air but to be fair he is about 8 feet tall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bunny Munro
27 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

 

But, How many times did you watch it? 😉

Ah shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pans Jambo
2 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Nonsense. He's a very good player having a sticky patch but he worked his tail off again and never hides. He'll come good again. 

No room for passangers. We need to be ruthless. Carrying someone who will “come good” eventually is not where we should be. Boyce has lost it. We can do better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bob Loblaw
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Boyce -5

Hes now a howling player. Hate watching him fall over himself, non-existant first touch snd awful passing. Cant shoot either. Why is he here? We can do better than this. Hes done!

A genuinely woeful post. 

 

We are on a great run and Boyce has been a huge part of that. He was poor yesterday, but that doesn't change the fact he's a key player to how we perform. 

 

"He's done". Deary me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Posted (edited)

Boyce is in shocking striking form. 
 

If he had any goal scoring competition he’d be on the bench.


In a front 3 you need confidence that at least 2 of them can score relatively simple chances. 

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tom Hardy’s Dug
10 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

A genuinely woeful post. 

 

We are on a great run and Boyce has been a huge part of that. He was poor yesterday, but that doesn't change the fact he's a key player to how we perform. 

 

"He's done". Deary me.


He has been honking from a striking perspective for months.

 

Agree he brings something to the team though but I don’t think he would be difficult to upgrade to be honest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TypoonJambo

He plays the no10 role really well but there's no denying he's lost his touch in front of goal. How many replacements out there, that we can afford, who  can do what he does for the team plus have the killer touch? Gold dust!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pans Jambo
59 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

A genuinely woeful post. 

 

We are on a great run and Boyce has been a huge part of that. He was poor yesterday, but that doesn't change the fact he's a key player to how we perform. 

 

"He's done". Deary me.

You just watched the one game like? Theres no argument. My opinion stands. We need better than a forward who cant score, cant pass and falls over his own feet. I think my team deserves better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bob Loblaw
16 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

You just watched the one game like? Theres no argument. My opinion stands. We need better than a forward who cant score, cant pass and falls over his own feet. I think my team deserves better. 

No, it's exactly because I've not watched one game that I have the opinion I do. He was poor yesterday,  and poor in the semi. Apart from that he's been very good. Good against Hibs and United, good against Aberdeen,  County and Livingston. He's also got 16 goals this season. He's one of the last people I think deserves stick tbh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

No room for passangers. We need to be ruthless. Carrying someone who will “come good” eventually is not where we should be. Boyce has lost it. We can do better. 

He's far from lost it and he's certainly no passenger. He isn't taking his chances ATM but he's still a positive influence on the park. 

If and when we can do better than him we will be a very good team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HMFC 86
4 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Boyce is in shocking striking form. 
 

If he had any goal scoring competition he’d be on the bench.


In a front 3 you need confidence that at least 2 of them can score relatively simple chances. 


This is the thing, we don’t have any competition in goal scoring, we only have Simms and Boyce and they are best played together. This was a problem at the start of the season and remains a problem now. Because Simms is still recovering from injury, and can only play 20 mins a game it means Boyce needs to play no matter his form.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...