Teams for final 5 games

SomethingAboutObua

SomethingAboutObua

What are people expecting the squads to be for the final 5 games? Hoping to see us blood in the young guys not on loan for United, Motherwell and County but could understand if we spend 5 matches preparing an XI for the final 

LarrysRightFoot

Devlin and McEneff in midfield. Move Haring back to CB with Sibbick and Moore. Give Woodburn, GMS and Gino game time. 

On one hand I couldn't care less, play a weakened team, rest players urs ALL about the cup final now

On the other hand, success breeds success, let's beat our points tally and breed  a winning habit 

Five friendlies to prepare for the final.   Get the team in shape and in form.   Chance to work on the formations with the players with no pressure to win.   I think a target could be don't lose 5-0 ☺   I can accept 2-0 max. 

Would it be the worst idea in the world to give Stuart a game or 2 or maybe a couple of second-half’s probs games against non OF teams.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Rest for quite a few, rotation, but everyone should get game time last couple, this is where 5 subs is a charm

Sibbick needs game time. Should start every game 

lets try and get gino/gms into some form. They need it (in case get injuries) and for next season

Mceneff should play some too

Try and get minutes for Michael Smith

Kirk should play against County at home 

Edited by R1874

Special Agent Dale Cooper

So, with 3rd guaranteed regardless of further results, would you pick a mixture of promising youngsters such as Kirk and backup players like GMS or stick to strong XIs to maintain form ahead of the final in May?

The big risk with the former approach is we take some heavy beatings which affects squad confidence, and with the latter we risk picking up further injuries...

A good problem for Robbie to have but confidence and momentum are fragile things...

.... thoughts?

Gorgie_Rules

Think we need to make use of the full squad, seems to be a tight-knit group and keeping everyone involved prior to the cup final will keep that spirit. We seem to be picking up inevitable injuries so anyone that is called upon won’t be coming in cold.

Includes minutes for GMS, Moore, Ginnelly, Woodburn, McEneff

Special Agent Dale Cooper
6 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Think we need to make use of the full squad, seems to be a tight-knit group and keeping everyone involved prior to the cup final will keep that spirit. We seem to be picking up inevitable injuries so anyone that is called upon won’t be coming in cold.

Includes minutes for GMS, Moore, Ginnelly, Woodburn, McEneff

I think this is where I'm at. Freshness could be the difference at Hampden especially if we play Rangers with their European matches.

Edited by Special Agent Dale Cooper

I think we also need to look at what we have in reserve given the injuries in defence so I'd be inclined to give game time to one or two there.

Just keep ticking over. No one playing unless 100% fit. Game time for those needing only match fitness. Chances for a couple of young lads

We took a few sore ones yesterday, would expect Woodburn, Moore, Ginnelly etc. to play the next couple in case we need them for the final. Keep everyone match sharp but as soon as Devlin, McKay, Kingsley or the likes get a knock they should be taken off immediately 

18 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Devlin and McEneff in midfield. Move Haring back to CB with Sibbick and Moore. Give Woodburn, GMS and Gino game time. 

Definitely give those attacking players some game time. I feel Boyce’s position is up for grabs in the final. 

RustyRightPeg

Wrap McKay, Kingsley, Simms, Devlin and Gordon in cotton wool.

Let the rest of them play and prove they’re worthy of a starting slot on 21/05. Quite excited about these games, we can play with freedom and experiment. 

Edited by RustyRightPeg

The Treasurer
18 hours ago, happyjam said:

Would it be the worst idea in the world to give Stuart a game or 2 or maybe a couple of second-half’s probs games against non OF teams.  

Would definitely play Stewart in the last league game v Sevco 

9 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Wrap McKay, Kingsley, Simms, Devlin and Gordon in cotton wool.

Let the rest of them play and prove they’re worthy of a starting slot on 21/05. Quite excited about these games, we can play with freedom and experiment. 

Agreed, swap them out for youngsters and squad players let them get match fitness nearer nearer the time

weegie jambo

Defence is a problem area, so we've got to give Sibbick and Moore a chance to bed in together if, Halkett and Soapy don't make it.

Keep the same system and best team and use all our subs every week to give fringe players time. Important the key players continue to build an understanding of each other and play regularly together. 

Give the fringe players a chance to prove themselves. 
At the same time though, we need to keep the key players match fit.

hereford_hearts

Hopefully Der Hun is still in the race for the title.

Send out the under 18's in rugby boots and hyped up on Red Bull. Let the carnage commence😂😂😂

Give Gino, GMS, Woody and Mceneff some serious game time, and hopefully the can push for a cup final place. That will make the team stronger. Devlin needs match fitness and we need Sibbick to learn. Keep Moore off the park please. 

We need to go full strength against Rangers in the final league game. We need to see where we stand.

30 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

We need to go full strength against Rangers in the final league game. We need to see where we stand.

Or, we try and bluff them.  Keep a few first choices out claiming they are doubtful for the final, then they turn up fully fit and raring to go.

Lone Striker
54 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If everyone was fit, I'd prefer us to hold 3 or 4 of them back for Hampden - e.g. McKay, Boyce, Halkett, Kingsley.   However circumstances might mean we have to play our "best available"  team in the league game too and just hope we don't pick up any new injuries.  Looking at our 2 squads, we could be down to bare bones for Hampden and having to put the likes of Kirk/Darge/Watson on the bench for some league games, and maybe the CF too.   A lot may depend on how close Smith, Souttar, Halkett  & Halliday are to being available for Hampden.

I guess this season shows how much you need strength in depth to compete successfully on several fronts.

Belated apologies to @Bazzas right boot about the number of summer  signings we'll need - he was right, I was wrong !!  😳

Ex member of the SaS

Been saying for a long time now the fringe players don't have a chance, they get maybe 20 minutes and are expected to shine. Now is the time to get them fully game fit and ready to step in when injuries or subs are required. Even if we lose every game from now on it make no difference but I would like to end the season with as big a gap as possible. Robbies biggest problem now is, what does he want? A big gap or players match fit.

upgotheheads

Time to give some of or regular subs plenty of game time so that would be; 

Stuart in goal, Sibbick at CB along with Moore at wb, McAneff at c/m with  Devlin, Gino as striker and winger, GMS as left/right midfield, 

Woodburn as striker/ No 10. Smith and Souttar when possible  for match fitness, and any youngster who deserves a start. In fact any combination that rests the regulars consistent with keeping them match sharp

jamboinglasgow

Would rotate some players, though certainly last 3 games would want players to be pushing to keep the high level up to take to the final. If whole team switches off before the final it would be hard to get them going.

What may help us is that I think the title would be effectively wrapped up at least 2 games before the end of the season so Rangers may switch off then. Think the last game of the season will be a match between two weakened teams.

Would like to see some youngsters get a chance, though this is where its a bit annoying that the players most suited to get a step up are away on loan. I predict we will see a 16 year old make a debut for us, it seems to be the club likes doing nowadays at the end of the season (Pollock, Hickey, a few against Kilmarnock in 2018.)

JamboNation

To win the final think we need some consistency would see the Celtic away game as a dress rehearsal of sorts , losing 5 games would be awful preparation so need to strike a balance

7 hours ago, Gambo said:

We keep going, but dont take any chances on anyone with a niggle.

Sure we can do that but you can’t legislate for a bad tackle or a player catching his studs in the turf! 🤷‍♂️
We really cannot afford an injury to Gordon, Kingsley, Devlin, Haring, Simms, McKay or Boyce! Tough call.

8 hours ago, RobNox said:

Or, we try and bluff them.  Keep a few first choices out claiming they are doubtful for the final, then they turn up fully fit and raring to go.

7 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

If everyone was fit, I'd prefer us to hold 3 or 4 of them back for Hampden - e.g. McKay, Boyce, Halkett, Kingsley.   However circumstances might mean we have to play our "best available"  team in the league game too and just hope we don't pick up any new injuries.  Looking at our 2 squads, we could be down to bare bones for Hampden and having to put the likes of Kirk/Darge/Watson on the bench for some league games, and maybe the CF too.   A lot may depend on how close Smith, Souttar, Halkett  & Halliday are to being available for Hampden.

I guess this season shows how much you need strength in depth to compete successfully on several fronts.

Belated apologies to @Bazzas right boot about the number of summer  signings we'll need - he was right, I was wrong !!  😳

I'm just a bit concerned we may lose form and confidence if we go second string for a month and lose most games. But I would like to see, Gino, GMS and Mceneff given a run.

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Sure we can do that but you can’t legislate for a bad tackle or a player catching his studs in the turf! 🤷‍♂️
We really cannot afford an injury to Gordon, Kingsley, Devlin, Haring, Simms, McKay or Boyce! Tough call.

You can't put a bunch of professional footballers on the shelf for a month and then run them back out and expect them to be game fit.

Every expected starter (including Gordon) should get 2 starts and a sub appearance spread over the final 5. Heavy rotations for the reserves and any loans we can get back. Let Woodburn play 90' every game.

It's entirely possible the Rangers match at Tynecastle could end up a dead rubber for both teams. Absolutely no sense in showing our tactical hand that game if there's no need to.

12 hours ago, colinzeal said:

Definitely give those attacking players some game time. I feel Boyce’s position is up for grabs in the final. 

Agree, the amount of chances he had on Saturday and wasted was infuriating, tbf you have to be in the position to get chances, but I find him frustrating at times 😫

gashauskis9
On 16/04/2022 at 23:50, R1874 said:

Sibbick needs game time. Should start every game 

lets try and get gino/gms into some form. They need it (in case get injuries) and for next season

Mceneff should play some too

Try and get minutes for Michael Smith

Kirk should play against County at home 

Agree with all of this 👏👏👏.  My preference would be for Kirk to get the nod ahead of Woodburn who clearly won’t be here next season.  Pretty bad look for Woodburn to be on loan from Liverpool but not play a single minute of either of the two derbies.

gashauskis9
12 hours ago, colinzeal said:

No chance.  I was screaming at him on Sat, but he’ll be one of the first on the team sheet for the final and rightfully so.  We need his work rate over 90 mins and his poor spell in front of goal will end eventually.

Ronald Villiers

Play a lot of the younger guys.  Get our 1st team players in prime condition for the final.  Of course there would be a backlash from the OF, probably Celtic because of the title race.  They'll be hoping we bear Rangers at Tynie.  They can ram it.  We got where we are on merit and will do what we want.  We owe nobody any favours.  Great how things pan out.

7 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Tough call it is.

I'd be resting the starting 11 in the last game.

We have to keep momentum going up to then though.

I'd be tempted to give Stewart a couple of games in the last 5 just in case he is needed he is not coming in cold.

55 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

No chance.  I was screaming at him on Sat, but he’ll be one of the first on the team sheet for the final and rightfully so.  We need his work rate over 90 mins and his poor spell in front of goal will end eventually.

Disagree. He is a limited player who slows play down and makes bad decisions with his distribution.

He also seems incapable of striking a ball cleanly, scuffs it nearly all the time. 

He has done okay for us, but he is someone we should be looking to upgrade on for next season.