Time to look at the squad (merged threads)

CJGJ

Goalkeeper

Goal Scoring midfield player (a Cameron or Skacel type)

Striker

Yes there are more but this is minimum required in first instance.

Poss more if we sell some of those who should be first team regulars such as Berra, Driver.

PS we need to still let another 4 or 5 leave also.

I'd sort the defense out first, it needs pretty much a complete rebuild.

A striker too definately.

there's a lot of work to be done.

Only a Game

I think we're okay for centre backs and central midfield players.

We're okay for wide men but signing one more wouldnt go amiss.

We've got Glen and Nade up front and that simply wont do, so we need probably two there, one really good experienced one and one young prospect perhaps.

We're severely lacking a charging, attacking, late running midfield player and if we cant turn Kingston into that type we desperately need someone to play there.

And we need two modern full backs who can defend as a first priority but also get forward and support the forward wide player.

Those are the minimum requirements. Five players. Improving other areas, like goalkeeper might be nice but not before we have addressed the real shortcomings.

Johanes de Silentio

Strikers - and a game plan that provides them with some decent service where they can do damage!

(i.e. not 30 yards out, chasing an overhit ball!)

If we can't get players who can weave triangles in the opponents' penalty box, gerrit wide an' whip it in - GIVE THE STRIKERS A CHANCE - LITERALLY!

Al.

ScottishSandstorm

I don't buy into this completely rebuild the squad theory. The talent is here except for a few areas. A striker is a must. Anyone else I would trust our new manager to bring them in based on where he sees the need/opportunity. Personally, I think we need a new RB, versatile left footed defender, a left midfielder who is capable of taking over when Driver is sold (maybe a young player), and another striker. But really only a striker is a must and the manager can bring in quality players as he sees fit.

Generic Username

Surely the main priority is to have a manager in place and let him asses the squad on his own and decide what area's he believes need worked on.

I'd like to think a few under performing players, with the right coaching could come on leaps and bounds. I'm more than happy to give the man coming in the time needed to build his own squad.

shaun.lawson

I think there's only one priority here: leadership, in all areas on and off the park.

Jambof3tornado

I think players like Nade should be given till xmas until the new coach to see if he can improve. The squad wont be getting too many additions other than perhaps a lithuanian or 3 so I wont get excited on the new player front.

I think there's only one priority here: leadership, in all areas on and off the park.

Gaffers aside, we really could do with an overhaul of the entire team. From back to front, every position needs reassessing.

Patrick Bateman

I'd expect a complete overhaul. We need 2 new strikers, a right back, a left back, an attacking central midfielder and a goalkeeper. I'd release Basso, Screpis and Stewart if possible.

Chad Sexington
Gaffers aside, we really could do with an overhaul of the entire team. From back to front, every position needs reassessing.

I agree.

Although it will be interesting to see how some of last years wage thieves react to some firm leadership and tactical awareness.

Guest JamboRobbo

A new manager, followed by a load of new players. Preferrably ones who actually care whether they win or lose, and care whether they get dropped or not.

I agree.

Although it will be interesting to see how some of last years wage thieves react to some firm leadership and tactical awareness.

True, but a hard-line approach to the slackers is a must.

Dr. Bapswent
I agree.

I think someone like Csaba, having no knowledge of the team will be ideal to assess the entire squad, after all he'll need to if he starts.

He should also have some knowledge of players he might want to bring in to strengthen the squad.

Would be ideal to get him in, assess and update the team for this coming season.

Guest JamboRobbo

Would be ideal to get him in, assess and update the team for this coming season.

5 or six weeks ago, I'd have agreed with you. Doing it this late in the summer is far from ideal.

What's the chance of him saying that right back and right midfield need replacing immediately?!? :P

GK

RB

CB

Berra

LB

Kingston

Jonsson

Attacking CM

If Driver stays we do not need a left midfielder

CF

CF

Banks, Karipidis, McGowan, Glen, Palazuelos, Wallace all subbies

Neilson, Cesnauskis, Ksanavicius, Ivaskevicius, Aguiar, Nade, Beslija, Mikoliunas to leave.

IMO.

Dr. Bapswent
5 or six weeks ago, I'd have agreed with you. Doing it this late in the summer is far from ideal.

No, the timing is not.

But i think its time we got past that issue and started dealing with what is achievable now.

And him (or another) coming in to reassess everything, top to bottom can only be a good start to putting things right IMO.

Goalkeeper

Goal Scoring midfield player (a Cameron or Skacel type)

StrikerS

Yes there are more but this is minimum required in first instance.

Poss more if we sell some of those who should be first team regulars such as Berra, Driver.

PS we need to still let another 4 or 5 leave also.

I agree plus one letter :)

Chad Sexington
True, but a hard-line approach to the slackers is a must.

Abso-feckin-lutely.

The party's over for them.

BADAL.jpeg

Seymour M Hersh

So if we get this leadership you talk of Robbie Neilson and Clum will suddenly become footballers? Any chance you could stat on topic for once SL?

Guest JamboRobbo
No, the timing is not.

But i think its time we got past that issue and started dealing with what is achievable now.

Well in the absence of a time machine, we've not got much choice. I'm just saying it's not ideal, and there's no pretending otherwise.

And him (or another) coming in to reassess everything, top to bottom can only be a good start to putting things right IMO.

I hope it'll be a good start, but I think it's possible it could go either way.

Well in the absence of a time machine, we've not got much choice. I'm just saying it's not ideal, and there's no pretending otherwise.

:arf:

Dr. Bapswent

I hope it'll be a good start, but I think it's possible it could go either way.

Who is pretending anything?

...other than a few posters on here pretending to be actual Hearts fans that is?

I think you could make a pretty decent team out of:

Banks, Rapnik, McGowan, Berra, new RB, Chesney/Miko/new RM (maybe), Ruben, Bruno/Eggy, Kingston, Glen/Nade (assuming a rocket up the rectum), new striker

with the right management, obviously!

Maybe a lack of thrust from the MF, so possibly get a new AM in as well...

Younger talented goalkeeper required as Banks can't go on forever.

A new experienced quality right back (or anyone who is slighlty better than Neilson will suffice!), Thomson will do as cover.

At least 1 left back (not sure if there is anyone decent in the reserves - is Matty Park a left back?)

Some experience in the centre of defence to help either Berra (if still here), Zaliukas or Karipidis.

Chesney or Kingston (if he gets his finger out his erse) will do for the right side of Midfield. Will Beslija get a chance or stay fit? If not then punt him.

Jonsson or Palazeulos will do to protect the back 4

Box to box attacking midfielder required, similar to Hartley or Cameron. Punt the ginger whinger.

At least 2 strikers needed. Glen looks promising and Nade has only shown brief flashes of what he can do when he can be bothered. If Makela isn't a) good enough or B) given a chance then he can follow Clum out the exit door. Still not sure about Jamie Mole but willing to have for 1 more year as back up.

Dr. Bapswent
Please, not another JR v DR. Baps.....again.....:o

I'm as tired of it as you.

But my posts seem to be magnets....

Guest JamboRobbo
Who is pretending anything?

...other than a few posters on here pretending to be actual Hearts fans that is?

Apologies I must've misread. I thought I read someone saying things were "ideal".

shaun.lawson
So if we get this leadership you talk of Robbie Neilson and Clum will suddenly become footballers? Any chance you could stat on topic for once SL?

I am on topic. Without leadership, it won't matter who we sign, because we won't get the best out of them. There's a school of thought that says no player can be judged (not even Clum!) on their displays over the last two years, given they've been playing at such a rudderless shambles of a club. Leadership provides motivation and inspiration, and enables a real team to emerge - and given it's been wholly lacking in the boardroom and dugout, it's hardly surprising if it's been the case with the team too.

I am on topic. Without leadership, it won't matter who we sign, because we won't get the best out of them. There's a school of thought that says no player can be judged (not even Clum!) on their displays over the last two years, given they've been playing at such a rudderless shambles of a club. Leadership provides motivation and inspiration, and enables a real team to emerge - and given it's been wholly lacking in the boardroom and dugout, it's hardly surprising if it's been the case with the team too.

Correct.

The first few months of the Burley era is testimony to what the 'feel good' factor can do for a club.

Seymour M Hersh

How many times have you seen the players I mentioned. In person for the full game (or part thereof if they were subs) in the last couple of years?

I get it ffs Shaun, you hate Romanov and want change. It's unlikely to happen in the near future. Any chance you could join in suggesting players/positions requiring strengthening without reverting to the same tired message about how Mr Smith should be running the country? Any chance you could keep it for threads on that subject matter?

PS hows your pressure group getting on?

Guest JamboRobbo
How many times have you seen the players I mentioned. In person for the full game (or part thereof if they were subs) in the last couple of years?

Probably about the same number of times you've seen Shabba manage a team to tell how his teams will play.

I get it ffs Shaun, you hate Romanov and want change.

Still struggling with the difference between hatred, and criticism where due I see.

On the flip-side, who's looking forwards to 'Robbie is gash' & 'Miko is murder' threads again?!

Yey! Roll on the season.

Dr. Bapswent
Apologies I must've misread. I thought I read someone saying things were "ideal".

I dont imagine anyone thinks that.

To quote an episode of Alan Partridge "evolution, not revolution".

Between now and the January transfer window I'd be happy to see a consistancy of selection, fit and properly instructed tactically, even if that meant the majority of which were the existing squad. Sorry to admit that we're not likely to have a tilt at the title this year ;) so let's get solid first.

Banks in goal with a settled back four of Neilson (I know, I know), Berra, Karapidis and Wallace would do to begin with. Give them a chance to form an understanding at least.

Perm any 4 from Larry, Ruben, Eggert, Driver, Bruno and Miko/Chesney, perhaps with one new midfielder if Driver goes. Agree that a striker or two are needed.

Get a couple of players in now and then maybe another 2 or 3 in January. We've been down the scattergun road before and it didn't work then.

shaun.lawson

I get it ffs Shaun, you hate Romanov and want change. It's unlikely to happen in the near future. Any chance you could join in suggesting players/positions requiring strengthening without reverting to the same tired message about how Mr Smith should be running the country? Any chance you could keep it for threads on that subject matter?

I've seen Hearts more than enough times to conclude that the coaching in the academy is seriously lacking, and that the first team has effectively been asked to play many games with one hand tied behind their backs. In that context, I'm not about to single out any player, because I don't think it's fair - and if you don't like it, tough.

Note audioslave's post early in the thread: I take it you think he was 'off topic' too? Meanwhile, as for 'hating Romanov': please point me to a thread, any thread, where I've said such a thing? Why do you seek to label those who've done their best to offer constructive suggestions for a way forward, and pigeonhole them into your narrow view of things?

The pressure group's doing fine, thankyou, and you'll be hearing more on that soon. I'd actually been pleasantly surprised by your gentler posts in recent weeks: what a pity you had to revert to type, and start debating the poster, not the post.

I think someone like Csaba, having no knowledge of the team will be ideal to assess the entire squad, after all he'll need to if he starts.

He should also have some knowledge of players he might want to bring in to strengthen the squad.

I'm sure he'll be well tuned in to what players can play in what position and in what formation,whether he agree's is here nor there,IMO.

Goalies: Grzegorz Szamotulski should be signed with Jamie McDonald fighting for his place. Defenders: Karipidis & Zaliukas for right-sided, Berra & ??(new signing required) Right-back: Neilson & Thomson(could do with another in there) Left-back: Wallace and ??(new one here too) Central midfield: Jonsson, Palazuelos, Stewart (Aguiar) Wide-right: Kingston, Mikaliunas (another here?) Wide-left: Driver & Cesnauskis Up-front: Nade(if fit), Glen (bit young) ......need about 3 strikers. We need about 6 or 7 new faces, what about Darren Barr from Falkirk?, Try to get Allan Gow? Noel Hunt maybe? I'd definitely go for Marius Niculae at Inverness, Craig Brewster said in the papers he'd love him to stay but he reckons he'll be off, why not go for him? Wouldn't cost that much. Any other names to add anyone?

Guest jambomickey
Goalies: Grzegorz Szamotulski should be signed with Jamie McDonald fighting for his place. Defenders: Karipidis & Zaliukas for right-sided, Berra & ??(new signing required) Right-back: Neilson & Thomson(could do with another in there) Left-back: Wallace and ??(new one here too) Central midfield: Jonsson, Palazuelos, Stewart (Aguiar) Wide-right: Kingston, Mikaliunas (another here?) Wide-left: Driver & Cesnauskis Up-front: Nade(if fit), Glen (bit young) ......need about 3 strikers. We need about 6 or 7 new faces, what about Darren Barr from Falkirk?, Try to get Allan Gow? Noel Hunt maybe? I'd definitely go for Marius Niculae at Inverness, Craig Brewster said in the papers he'd love him to stay but he reckons he'll be off, why not go for him? Wouldn't cost that much. Any other names to add anyone?

let the man appointed today decide that

Seymour M Hersh
I've seen Hearts more than enough times to conclude that the coaching in the academy is seriously lacking, and that the first team has effectively been asked to play many games with one hand tied behind their backs. In that context, I'm not about to single out any player, because I don't think it's fair - and if you don't like it, tough.

Note audioslave's post early in the thread: I take it you think he was 'off topic' too? Meanwhile, as for 'hating Romanov': please point me to a thread, any thread, where I've said such a thing? Why do you seek to label those who've done their best to offer constructive suggestions for a way forward, and pigeonhole them into your narrow view of things?

The pressure group's doing fine, thankyou, and you'll be hearing more on that soon. I'd actually been pleasantly surprised by your gentler posts in recent weeks: what a pity you had to revert to type, and start debating the poster, not the post.

Sorry Shaun I've not changed my stance at all and I do like the patronising tone in your reply (my nephew is part of the academy set up and thriving on it so they might be getting something right). And I was debating the post. You attempted to turn the the thread into yet another debate about VR. I asked that for once could you keep on topic. Oh and would you like to answer the question I put to you about the two players?

Drylaw Hearts
Sorry Shaun I've not changed my stance at all and I do like the patronising tone in your reply (my nephew is part of the academy set up and thriving on it so they might be getting something right). And I was debating the post. You attempted to turn the the thread into yet another debate about VR. I asked that for once could you keep on topic. Oh and would you like to answer the question I put to you about the two players?

Yet you posted this question to Shaun earlier SMH :

:confused:

've seen Hearts more than enough times to conclude that the coaching in the academy is seriously lacking,

Thats your best one yet , you truly beggar belief , laddie , you really have,nt got a clue mod delete what a good player is or could be . have you ? Why no stay out of things you dont have a clue about and stick too spouting ten pales off ****e about crap , your obviously an expert on

shaun.lawson
've seen Hearts more than enough times to conclude that the coaching in the academy is seriously lacking,

Thats your best one yet , you truly beggar belief , laddie , you really have,nt got a clue what a good player is or could be . have you ? Why no stay out of things you dont have a clue about and stick too spouting ten pales off ****e about crap , your obviously an expert on

Stay off the Midori, pal.

Stay off the Midori, pal.

mod delete

stay out of stuff you have no knowledge off

idiot in oxford telling hertz supporters the coachings nae good

unbelievable

come up to Riccarton and see what happens bafore you make a judgement like that and post it on here

Drylaw Hearts

unbelievable

come up to Riccarton and see what happens bafore you make a judgement like that and post it on here

Are you saying the Coachng is good ?

If so - how do you know ?

Just curious.

Are you saying the Coachng is good ?

If so - how do you know ?

Just curious.

are you saying its bad ?

i,m up there as much as you ;)

shaun.lawson

Patronising? Your previous post included the words "I get it ffs. You hate Romanov and want change". One, you swore at me; two, you completely misrepresented me: because I don't hate Romanov. If you're going to be rude, how can you expect respect back? On the academy: well, look at what Branny's brother thinks. Not only has he pointed us towards "M & M" for the reasons why Branny hasn't progressed as much as we'd hoped, but he also said that, at a youth tournament last summer, what concerned him most was the lack of enjoyment on the players' faces. They looked miserable: which if so, is a terrible indictment of those coaching them. Plenty of serious concerns have been aired about the two Murrays elsewhere too.

Meanwhile, I continue to assert that I have stayed on topic (with regard to which, you've again been rude: "for once"'?!). As far as I'm concerned, it's a clean slate for every player, because none of them have been working under a proper management setup until now. Almost certainly, Csaba will conclude that Clum is rank, and may well seek an alternative right back too. But the abuse Robbie Neilson gets continually amazes me: how exactly do people think he's managed to hold down the right back berth for so long? It's because there aren't many good alternatives!

Incidentally, it's possible I misinterpreted your "how's your pressure group getting on?" question, as I assumed it was meant patronisingly: if I got that wrong, then sorry for that. You also may like to know how delighted I am by Csaba's appointment, and that I actually feel optimistic about the club again at long last. But with regard to the players, there's only one person's opinion I'm interested in: Csaba Lazslo's.

shaun.lawson

unbelievable

Is that you, John?

People on here slag off Clum all the time; Mole wasn't received that well; and even Driver has his critics. Look at the conveyor belt now, and compare it to times past: it is seriously lacking. At the meeting last week, the club made a big deal of emphasising its desire to build a team around a young Scottish nucleus. Which is fine - but will these players be good enough? If not, then we need to find the best coaches money can buy - and I'd be amazed if the Academy can currently say that about those in charge there.

Archived