Next Up St Mirren

Boris5115

3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Totally agree here. Many said the same about Jack Dross at Hibs, that they were a poor team in waiting and only got the benefit of teams being inconsistent below them. (Allowing them to finish 3rd).

The thing is though, there’s two angles to it.  You can only get your own results. Teams being crap below is their problem and if it benefits the team above, that’s just the way it is. However, you equally can’t ignore that, or your own run of results and performances, by assessing if the team is going stale or the manager has run his course.  It’s a tough call, tbh.  

RN will get this season to see out at least. I’ve no doubt about that.  Whether  you’re (wider Hearts audience) in his camp or not I don’t think it looks great on the club sacking a manager sitting in third, it’s not good for the soul of the club. We’ve never really did that sort of thing under level headed circumstances. (Vlad aside).

It may be agonising thinking of it but we need to let the manager make an arse of it first before any changes, whenever that time will be.  Who knows though, maybe the board will think RN is doing so just now?  

I’m not calling for anyone’s head. Neilson’s remit from the board was Top 6, he’ll achieve that. The problem is that from a position of strength we have seemed to just rested on our laurels and taken the foot off the gas. It’s more the lack of progress. We should be sitting (at least) 15 points ahead. Losing to the bottom team in the table two league games in a row is a shambles. And wouldn’t be something we’d ‘take on the chin’ even if we were 6th or in the bottom 6.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Ex member of the SaS

• Agentjambo

• wavydavy

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m not calling for anyone’s head. Neilson’s remit from the board was Top 6, he’ll achieve that. The problem is that from a position of strength we have seemed to just rested on our laurels and taken the foot off the gas. It’s more the lack of progress. We should be sitting (at least) 15 points ahead. Losing to the bottom team in the table two league games in a row is a shambles. And wouldn’t be something we’d ‘take on the chin’ even if we were 6th or in the bottom 6.

Yip.  Thought RNs comments were a wee bit bizarre in the run up to yesterdays game. The “we’ve come through a tough period” stuff and kept our lead intact….We’d hardly won a game🤷🏼‍♂️

We only kept it intact because teams below couldn’t capitalise. If we’d been 14,15 ahead going into yesterdays game I’d have fully agreed with him. It’s got to be of your own doing, not favours.  

9 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

The remit from the club is irrelevant now. If we bugger this up and don't, at the very least, qualify for Europe, everyone will be calling for his head.

13 minutes ago, Boab said:

The remit from the club is irrelevant now. If we bugger this up and don't, at the very least, qualify for Europe, everyone will be calling for his head.

I agree. Remits change with circumstances. Or at least they should. If we were 2nd at this point 5 points behind top, our remit would have changed to challenging for the title. If we were 11th and 2 points ahead of bottom, our remit would be to avoid relegation. But we’ve been pretty solid in 3rd for a long time now, so the remit of finishing 3rd would have been an upgrade on the Top 6 remit, and I imagine would/should have been in place for some time now. However, if we limp across the finishing line in 3rd and blow a lead like we had in doing so, then I’m not sure a 3rd place finish would/should be enough to ensure job security. I can see if we limp to 3rd or worse that Savage may look at Alex Neil’s rolling contract at Sunderland.

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I agree. Remits change with circumstances. Or at least they should. If we were 2nd at this point 5 points behind top, our remit would have changed to challenging for the title. If we were 11th and 2 points ahead of bottom, our remit would be to avoid relegation. But we’ve been pretty solid in 3rd for a long time now, so the remit of finishing 3rd would have been an upgrade on the Top 6 remit, and I imagine would/should have been in place for some time now. However, if we limp across the finishing line in 3rd and blow a lead like we had in doing so, then I’m not sure a 3rd place finish would/should be enough to ensure job security. I can see if we limp to 3rd or worse that Savage may look at Alex Neil’s rolling contract at Sunderland.

I agree with what you say however I can just hear AB saying that our objective in our first season back in the top league was to stay in it and to finish in the top six is a bonus and well done to Robbie.

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I agree with what you say however I can just hear AB saying that our objective in our first season back in the top league was to stay in it and to finish in the top six is a bonus and well done to Robbie.

True. I don’t want to have a go at Neilson, but I just can’t see him or McCulloch, or Forrest ever reaching the heights we’re looking too. I see Neilson as a manager very much like he was as a player. Limited. Can put in a shift, can do a job, can occasionally pull out a top drawer moment (Basel, the tackle as a player, beating Celtic start of the season as manager) but doesn’t seem to have another level to get to. Seems like he’s as good as he’s ever going to get. That’s my main worry, that we do so well with recruitment only to stagnate.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Aye. These are the moments that expose our lack of characters or choice from the bench. As a supporter you sometimes get a lift thinking about who you can bring in to give the team a bit of a lift.  

It’s a little concerning. Our confidence seems to be sinking at a fast rate and our lack of options to give the team a different approach is sobering.  

Agree. Even when he changes things it’s all very similar looking on the park. Back 4, back 3, it’s still two centre mids and wingers high up the park not getting enough of the ball. Make some real tactical changes. 

56 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Jeez hubz weirdos all over this 

If Craig and Boyce back we win 

simples

FTH 

They were both playing at home versus Dundee and look what happened there.

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

How would you try to fix it. Change formation, change a few of the starting line up?

This is my opinion.

First thing for me would be not to play Sibbick in the central defence Harring for me in there until Halkett is fit , secondly we need an attacking midfielder that has vision and can score a goal I would give McEneff or Pollock a run of games and see if they are up for the challenge, up front I think our best is Boyce , Simms and McKay playing the width , GMS and Ginnelly are like most wingers hot and cold but they are just freezing most of the time, I just hope we can hold on to third I can see a big changes in the summer. As I always say football is full of opinions and some in here will disagree with this but that's why we love the game mate.

1 minute ago, One five said:

This is my opinion.

First thing for me would be not to play Sibbick in the central defence Harring for me in there until Halkett is fit , secondly we need an attacking midfielder that has vision and can score a goal I would give McEneff or Pollock a run of games and see if they are up for the challenge, up front I think our best is Boyce , Simms and McKay playing the width , GMS and Ginnelly are like most wingers hot and cold but they are just freezing most of the time, I just hope we can hold on to third I can see a big changes in the summer. As I always say football is full of opinions and some in here will disagree with this but that's why we love the game mate.

I think we need to change things. Just repeating the same mistakes week in and week out will produce the same results. Your ideas are as good as anyones, the only thing I would say is I’d prefer smith at RCB (when fit). Sibbick has been awful though and Haring would almost certainly be better. 

24 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think we need to change things. Just repeating the same mistakes week in and week out will produce the same results. Your ideas are as good as anyones, the only thing I would say is I’d prefer smith at RCB (when fit). Sibbick has been awful though and Haring would almost certainly be better. 

Yeah we certainly have missed smith .

26 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Agreed with both posts - Last SEVEN games played - ONE (actual) WIN ("We're over our bad run of games playing the good teams" 2 weeks ago quote) before being beaten by the two bottom clubs !!

Ex member of the SaS

Ok as much as I don't like it, I think we all know Robbie is not getting the sack. But what is the pecking order at the club? Who does Robbie answer to, is it an individual or is it the whole board? Either way someone in a higher position needs to take him aside and make it clear sort this or go. Someone within the club must have the power to say things are not good enough, and yes we are third, but we are not performing so sort it or the gig is up.

2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Yip.  Thought RNs comments were a wee bit bizarre in the run up to yesterdays game. The “we’ve come through a tough period” stuff and kept our lead intact….We’d hardly won a game🤷🏼‍♂️

We only kept it intact because teams below couldn’t capitalise. If we’d been 14,15 ahead going into yesterdays game I’d have fully agreed with him. It’s got to be of your own doing, not favours.  

Tough period? Games against the bottom two teams and a shite Hibs side? 😏

30 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

When on earth is Halks back is my question before i commit to any prediction!

Out for the season is my prediction ☹️

24 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Out for the season is my prediction ☹️

I think so as well hamstring injuries are not a quick fix  , maybe in time for the cup final tho 🙄

After sitting through St Johnstone, Livingston, & Dundee games I find it hard to be optimistic about taking more than a point from St Mirren. TBH I struggle to see us taking anything from the game if the performance is anything like yesterday.

2 minutes ago, mcGaheyboy said:

After sitting through St Johnstone, Livingston, & Dundee games I find it hard to be optimistic about taking more than a point from St Mirren. TBH I struggle to see us taking anything from the game if the performance is anything like yesterday.

we have lost more league games than them as well. This will be a very hard game indeed against a side on really good form at their ground.  They’ll no doubt have their new manager bounce as well. 

part_time_jambo
19 hours ago, Costanza said:

This place is going to go into an absolute meltdown when Steven Naismith's St Mirren beat Robbie Neilson's Hearts.

Only done 2 years of a 4 year contract, so should demand compensation.

Gordon, Smith and Boycie back in the team I'm optimistic we can get a draw.

Otherwise if this shitshow continues we will need to win the cup to get into Europe.

5 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Finishing 4th, 5th or 6th is failure now. You can't set high expectations then revert back to old ones when your ideas tire and run out of steam. This spin has to stop.

48 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

Finishing 4th, 5th or 6th is failure now. You can't set high expectations then revert back to old ones when your ideas tire and run out of steam. This spin has to stop.

I agree completely. But I’m not the one spinning.

3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Lee McCulloch was at the Foundation of Hearts Plot Ceremony today and suggested he might be back for next weekend, even if he is only 85% ready by then.

Sounded like if it's not this weekend it will be the following game anyway.

1 minute ago, slashishere said:

Lee McCulloch was at the Foundation of Hearts Plot Ceremony today and suggested he might be back for next weekend, even if he is only 85% ready by then.

that’s great news. 👍👍

28 minutes ago, slashishere said:

Aye that’s code for “he’s oot fur another 6 weeks” 😏

36 minutes ago, slashishere said:

Sorry you dont play players that are 85% fit, maybe one of the other things that Roobie and his wingmen get wrong while playing players in their wrong positions and not having a scooby how to change the formation when the going get's tough, which is every game recently.

I desperately want to be wrong but I've lost confidence in Neilson getting the best out of our players.

St Mirren have the opportunity over the next couple of weeks to absolutely wreck our season.  We will need a couple of really good performances to overcome that.

4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Well whatever Robbie said you can double it.

5 hours ago, TheBigO said:

He’s hoping to be back for the end of the month, that’s from the horses mouth.

1 hour ago, Jamdub said:

Sorry you dont play players that are 85% fit, maybe one of the other things that Roobie and his wingmen get wrong while playing players in their wrong positions and not having a scooby how to change the formation when the going get's tough, which is every game recently.

After CH went off against St J in Jan, there was an air of resignation when he had to go off against Celtic. 

Hope he's back soon but fully fit !

29 minutes ago, spug said:

He’s hoping to be back for the end of the month, that’s from the horses mouth.

Phew!

Tho how Natasha Bedingfield would know, I'm not sure

(A dated line that one, but i stand by it!)

After the pumping at Ibrox we have certainly lost all confidence. That is true to see. Happens to us all, anyone that’s played football will know that getting pumped by another team does affect you. Problem I see now is Neilson looks like he hasn’t  addressed this with the players. They all look like the school bully beat them up & stole the poor buggers play piece money. 

I think confidence has completely gone and Neilson doesn’t know how to fix it. 

Even when Atkinson scored his first goal he wasn’t exactly over the moon. That tells me we may have real psychological problems in the camp. I’m not blaming anyone in the tram but it’s pretty obvious we have issues. Robbie doesn’t seem to

have the gumption to fix it I’m afraid. 

We just simply can’t lose anymore points. 

So how do we address this? I’d say with all the ‘fans’ getting right behind the team. That will put the wind in the sails again. 

The kittens need a pat. 

image.jpeg

maroonlegions

Judging by our away form and the way tinker man sets up i see a possible defeat. Hope not. A point  would be good. Has it come to this that hoping for a point away at Saint Lie Down is a reality.