What A Load Of Tosh.

Gigolo-Aunt

Say What Again

It's really only a 'what if?' GA. I'd find it diffucult to argue with many of his examples - especially Oasis and the Strokes.

Interesting thought/discussion.

Walter Kidd

I agree slightly Gig.

The La's

Pulp

Pistols

Stone Roses

Gram Parsons

Jeff Buckley

All will be fondly remembered as bands who shone brightly then burnt out.

Why get old, fat, boring, repetitive like Oasis, The Stones, Primal Scream etc.

Better to burn out than fade away man.

With love as always.

Gigolo-Aunt

Thing is, Jack...

We could all put down the arguement naming certain bands.

I could also name a list as long as you arm with bands that made several excellent albums over several years.

For every Pistols, there is a Smiths.

For every Smiths, there is a La's.

Say What Again
Thing is, Jack...

We could all put down the arguement naming certain bands.

I could also name a list as long as you arm with bands that made several excellent albums over several years.

For every Pistols, there is a Smiths.

For every Smiths, there is a La's.

I agree GA.

I do feel that the author is just tossing an idea around though, he isn't suggesting that 1 album should be a rule.

Who would decide when 1 album was enough? How would anyone know if the 2nd album was going to be poor?

Imagine Pink Floyd had stopped after the first album? :eek::sad:

deesidejambo
Pink Floyd should have stopped after "A Saucerful Of Secrets"

;o)

Agreed. both Pink Floyd and Genesis started off with great stuff, then faded quickly into garbage.

Floyd should have stopped after Meddle and Genesis after Foxtrot.

Say What Again
Pink Floyd should have stopped after "A Saucerful Of Secrets"

;o)

No Ummagumma? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

What would I have spent my mid-teens listening to in a smoke filled room?

(Probably Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell)

Gigolo-Aunt
No Ummagumma? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

What would I have spent my mid-teens listening to in a smoke filled room?

(Probably Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell)

If Im being honest,Jack - The Floyd did do some decent stuff in patches after the first couple of albums - just never did it enough for me though.

Millions of Floyd Dark Side of The Moon and Wish You Were Here albums owners would argue that though.

So is the argument that bands should split after one great album rather than carry on and make the difference that they want too? If they're really cocky they could try and beat that difficult second album but then they must split? Can kind of see the argument in there.

I've often wondered how Noel Gallagher's solo album would've sounded if Oasis had split up in 1996. Would it have been a work of genius or just Be Here Now as sung by Noel? Incidently Be Here Now is underrated but that's a whole different argument.

I can't think of many great third albums and it soes seem to be the case that by the time a band puts their third album out, you're starting to wish they'd left it at two. Going by that reasoning though, I should hope that The Arctic Monkeys don't release another album but I'm really looking forward to it whenever it comes out. Maybe it's just hindsight that's a wonderful thing?

I can't think of many great third albums

'The Queen Is Dead' by The Smiths

Because of the Times - Kings of Leon

Regular John

Off the top of my head;

Sufjan Stevens - Michigan

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

Radiohead - OK Computer

All excellent third albums.

Some bands/artists can continue to produce top quality but when they muck about with the line-up or drugs it all too often ends up in mediocrity.

Good Good. There are some good third albums. Have to admit that I was never a fan of The Smiths, something that my Manc mates could never understand.

I wonder how many of these good third albums could compare with those bands first albums. And. I wonder how many of those bands continues to have a great career. I reckon that if you can make the third album great, as Radiohead did, then you haeve immortality and you can do what you like frm then.

Agreed. both Pink Floyd and Genesis started off with great stuff, then faded quickly into garbage.

Floyd should have stopped after Meddle and Genesis after Foxtrot.

You're certainly entering into the spirit of this thread - utter tosh.

If Pink Floyd had stopped at Meddle you wouldn't have arrived at their finest work, Animals (via DSotM and Wish You were Here).

Even more tosh re. Genesis. Foxtrot has one decent track iirc. The albums Selling England & The Lamb are classics, even Trick of the Tail & Wind & Wuthering have their moments. That's when they should have stopped.

Archived