Mackems sack Johnson

Maroon Sailor

Horrible result for them yesterday, but quite surprised by that. Only 2 points off top, albeit Rotherham have 2 games in hand on them and Wigan have 4.

Maroon Sailor

They've been pumped a few times this season. 5-1 at Rotherham, 4-0 at Pompey and 3-0 at Sheff Wed

Sunderland should not be losing 6-0 to anybody in that division let alone to a side that was in the 4th tier last season.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Still only 2 points from the top though.  Will their chances of promotion really be increased by getting a new manager with no transfer window?

Depends who they bring in.

They've got to aim for top 2 as they have suffered play off heartache quite a few times.

The way they are going the top 2 might be a stretch as Rotherham and Wigan have games in hand. 

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

They'll bottle a play off again. League 1 is their level.

Seems to be. They've been down there a few years now. Can't all be bad luck

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

Fair enough, although I'm struggling to think of anyone suitable and realistic who might be available and willing to go there.

I'm actually loving Sunderland's stay down in that league, although it's not as entertaining as when Dirty L666s were stuck down there for years.

maybe grant mccann who hull just emptied due to their takeover being complete

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Fair enough, although I'm struggling to think of anyone suitable and realistic who might be available and willing to go there.

I'm actually loving Sunderland's stay down in that league, although it's not as entertaining as when Dirty L666s were stuck down there for years.

Warnock will give them a boot up the backside. Not sure if he's finished with football management or would be tempted by trying to get Sunderland promoted

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Pagey said:

Duncan Ferguson in the frame..

They'll need to have reinforced doors at the Stadium of Light

What a gig that would be for him though

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Pasquale for King

You can’t get beat 6 nil, say you didn’t see it coming and still keep your job, 5 nil maybe 🤦🏽
They will get some other journeyman manager sacked multiple times by other clubs, rinse and repeat. 
Stubbs, Lennon etc.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You can’t get beat 6 nil, say you didn’t see it coming and still keep your job, 5 nil maybe 🤦🏽
They will get some other journeyman manager sacked multiple times by other clubs, rinse and repeat. 
Stubbs, Lennon etc.

Southampton manager has survived two 9 goals pumpings...

30 minutes ago, Pagey said:

Duncan Ferguson in the frame..

Looks like he's not getting the Everton job and you've got to think it's now or never for big Dunc in terms of being a manager in his own right. Sunderland would be a great opportunity for him.

For a "big" club, they've had a revolving door of managers.  Its fair to conclude from the list below that the club is a permanent basket case.   This list from 2000 -

Peter Reid               7.5   years  up till 2002

Howard WIlkinson  0.5  years

Mick McCarthy         3   years

Niall Quinn                 1 MONTH

Roy Keane               2.3 years

Ricky Sbragia          0.5 years

Steve Bruce            2.4 years

Martin O'Neill          1.4 years

Paulo Di Canio        0.5 years

Gus Poyet               1.5 years

Dick Advocaat        0.5 years

Sam Allardyce        0.7 years

David Moyes          0.7 years   

Simon Grayson      0.3 years

Chris Coleman       0.5 years

Jack  Ross              1.3 years

Phil Parkinson        1.1 years

Lee Johnson          1.1 years

Mental.

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

For a "big" club, they've had a revolving door of managers.  Its fair to conclude from the list below that the club is a permanent basket case.   This list from 2000 -

Peter Reid               7.5   years  up till 2002

Howard WIlkinson  0.5  years

Mick McCarthy         3   years

Niall Quinn                 1 MONTH

Roy Keane               2.3 years

Ricky Sbragia          0.5 years

Steve Bruce            2.4 years

Martin O'Neill          1.4 years

Paulo Di Canio        0.5 years

Gus Poyet               1.5 years

Dick Advocaat        0.5 years

Sam Allardyce        0.7 years

David Moyes          0.7 years   

Simon Grayson      0.3 years

Chris Coleman       0.5 years

Jack  Ross              1.3 years

Phil Parkinson        1.1 years

Lee Johnson          1.1 years

Mental.

Out of that lot - the only bad appointments from the off were Wilkinson and Sbragia imo

Looking at that Jack Ross surprisingly  lasted longer than most managers over the last 20 years

If Everton are potentially looking at Ferguson as their manager in the longer term, then seeing him take on the challenge at Sunderland would surely allow them to assess his credentials.

9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Out of that lot - the only bad appointments from the off were Wilkinson and Sbragia imo

Looking at that Jack Ross surprisingly  lasted longer than most managers over the last 20 years

You'd have to add Quinn and Keane to these two - no management experience, and both hot-heads. Quinn only got the job because his cronies had just bought the club.   Looks like Quinn realised he was out his depth, stepped down and immediately appointed his Irish chum. 

We know from our own experience how the culture of a club can go off the rails when the owner/chairman is a bit "unhinged".  😵

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

You'd have to add Quinn and Keane to these two - no management experience, and both hot-heads. Quinn only got the job because his cronies had just bought the club.   Looks like Quinn realised he was out his depth, stepped down and immediately appointed his Irish chum. 

We know from our own experience how the culture of a club can go off the rails when the owner/chairman is a bit "unhinged".  😵

Don't think Quinn was ever viewed as being long term.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

If Everton are potentially looking at Ferguson as their manager in the longer term, then seeing him take on the challenge at Sunderland would surely allow them to assess his credentials.

If Big Dunc wants to be a manager then the Sunderland job is as good a starting place as anywhere.

He's been overlooked twice now for the Everton job

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

If Big Dunc wants to be a manager then the Sunderland job is as good a starting place as anywhere.

He's been overlooked twice now for the Everton job

Ferguson said recently he expected and understood why Everton would/should go for an established/experienced coach over him.

I don’t therefore think he’s been “overlooked” as such. That’s why I think Ferguson needs to prove himself elsewhere.

If he succeeds at Sunderland - or somewhere else - I think he’ll definitely be a strong candidate for Goodison.

Maroon Sailor
29 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Ferguson said recently he expected and understood why Everton would/should go for an established/experienced coach over him.

I don’t therefore think he’s been “overlooked” as such. That’s why I think Ferguson needs to prove himself elsewhere.

If he succeeds at Sunderland - or somewhere else - I think he’ll definitely be a strong candidate for Goodison.

I say overlooked as in the sense that possession is nine tenths of the law.

A bit like Ole at Man Utd who was brought in to keep the seat warm for someone else and ended up getting the job full time.

Worries me that a big club like them could approach Neilson.  The money would be hard for him to resist.

I was a harsh critic but I certainly don't want him to go now.

Maroon Sailor
5 hours ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Never liked him since he slagged us off 

Lee Johnson has hinted he was forced out of Hearts because his face did not fit with owner Vladimir Romanov.

The midfielder has been reunited with his father Gary at Bristol City, after only joining Hearts in January.

But Johnson was restricted to just five appearances for The Jambos and played just once after Graham Rix's departure as manager.

The 25-year-old admits it is a strange situation at Tynecastle and intimated players have to be favoured by Romanov to get selected.

"I think the situation at Hearts is unique and I will leave you to speculate about that," Johnson told the Daily Record.

"I think if I was Maradona, I wasn't going to play at Hearts.

"I was playing with a club at Champions League level and, to be honest, I felt I was good enough to play in the team, but for whatever reason I didn't."

And when quizzed on whether he would have played more often if Rix had stayed on, Johnson replied: "It depends if he was picking the team or not."

Carl Fredrickson
6 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Ainsworth would be the best shout for them. 

I agree with this but he was offered the job before and turned it down. 

Sunderland are a club with a large fan base with little success. A decent stadium but over the last 20-25 years have wasted huge amounts on poor/average players. Each manager has brought in a load of players and the relegation from the EPL has them buckled financially. 

Ellis Short spent loads on random players (north east premium might have been part of it) then stopped funding the club. We know what that can be like...

The next owners didnt have enough money or knowledge to turn things around and often tried to please fans (eg replacing faded seats) at the expense of fortunes on the field. 

The newest owner is minted but at 23 is not likely to have much experience of running a football club (though his family have). 

The worst thing to happen to them recently was losing Allardyce to the England role. When he took over he brought in a few players to suit his system and they were looking decent prior them leaving. 

Sunderland remind of what happened to Leeds and they need a firm foundation to build on. This year they have been playing a lot of kids from their academy but they need some more experience players to help them. 

Saturdays recent was a bad one but they have struggled for a decent keeper for a number of years which hasnt helped. Their fans are wanting Defoe back but if I were in charge I would look to strengthen the keeper and defence first. 

11 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20220130_212453.thumb.jpg.092f9fd404b7c5d3c080974ada96ac70.jpg20220130_212436.thumb.jpg.2c685fa0982871fd549ebedc2c1fea32.jpg

Hope Neil Lennon gets the job. I love seeing him having a melt down and ruining his life Just not in Scotland again. Poison little man. 

Pretty shit book TBH Woodgate will never get that job, Don't think he would take it either. Grayson was sacked and Bruce is still in hiding after that hellish time at Newcastle 😂 

McCann was sacked from Hull earlier last week knows how to get out of League 1. 

12 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Seen it on EPL on Quest.

Said Bolton had 7 attempts at goa, 6 wnt in.

:lol:

Missed their first choice GK due to heart problem - clearly the backup isn't up to much!

image.png.3aa55e5299f81b0960fdd21f7cd146ab.png

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I agree with this but he was offered the job before and turned it down. 

Sunderland are a club with a large fan base with little success. A decent stadium but over the last 20-25 years have wasted huge amounts on poor/average players. Each manager has brought in a load of players and the relegation from the EPL has them buckled financially. 

Ellis Short spent loads on random players (north east premium might have been part of it) then stopped funding the club. We know what that can be like...

The next owners didnt have enough money or knowledge to turn things around and often tried to please fans (eg replacing faded seats) at the expense of fortunes on the field. 

The newest owner is minted but at 23 is not likely to have much experience of running a football club (though his family have). 

The worst thing to happen to them recently was losing Allardyce to the England role. When he took over he brought in a few players to suit his system and they were looking decent prior them leaving. 

Sunderland remind of what happened to Leeds and they need a firm foundation to build on. This year they have been playing a lot of kids from their academy but they need some more experience players to help them. 

Saturdays recent was a bad one but they have struggled for a decent keeper for a number of years which hasnt helped. Their fans are wanting Defoe back but if I were in charge I would look to strengthen the keeper and defence first. 

20220131_104253.jpg

The Bannon Flick

Hope they take a gamble on Duncan Ferguson and give him the gig.

Would love to see him do well as he comes across as a decent sort. He looks like he wouldn’t take any nonsense from players and he must have learned a thing or two from the numerous experienced managers that he’s worked under at Goodison.

Not sure what the Everton fans think of the Lampard appointment. I’m not overly convinced he’s any good. Great player in his day and seemed to do OK at Derby but couldn’t handle Chelsea. Everton is a big gig as well but need big changes and more investment. 

12 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Lee Johnson has hinted he was forced out of Hearts because his face did not fit with owner Vladimir Romanov.

The midfielder has been reunited with his father Gary at Bristol City, after only joining Hearts in January.

But Johnson was restricted to just five appearances for The Jambos and played just once after Graham Rix's departure as manager.

The 25-year-old admits it is a strange situation at Tynecastle and intimated players have to be favoured by Romanov to get selected.

"I think the situation at Hearts is unique and I will leave you to speculate about that," Johnson told the Daily Record.

"I think if I was Maradona, I wasn't going to play at Hearts.

"I was playing with a club at Champions League level and, to be honest, I felt I was good enough to play in the team, but for whatever reason I didn't."

And when quizzed on whether he would have played more often if Rix had stayed on, Johnson replied: "It depends if he was picking the team or not."

There was a lot of truth in what he said. Vlad had his plus-points for Hearts, no question.

But his interference - to the point of self-sabotage - was criminal. 
Ignore whether Johnson’s personal omission was justified or not.

The wider point that Vlad’s meddling jeopardised our performances and therefore our chances of winning trophies, is surely beyond question.

Edited by PortyBeach

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Keane, Lennon and McCann all in the frame to replace Johnson

Keane been there before. 

Lennon must be in with a chance, pity the Mackems if it happens.

McCann seems a decent choice though.

Phil D. Corners
On 31/01/2022 at 21:56, Maroon Sailor said:

Neil Lennon now 7/4 fav with William Hill

Make it happen. 

Manger I don’t like 🤝 Team I don’t like. 

2 hours ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Make it happen. 

Manger I don’t like 🤝 Team I don’t like. 

This! The perfect marriage for both of them to implode!