Devin Gordon RIP

hughesie27

5 hours ago, moz said:

The lads from Bathgate Juniors all got together last night and it done them a world of good

Team management had all players and us parents together, for support and to discuss any counselling anyone should it be wanted - support from them has been immense, hats off to them for handling it the way they have.

Dev wore the number 4 shirt and this will now be retired by the team, Dev will always be the #4

Future strips will have something on it as well for Dev, so that he will always be with the boys

As Homme has said above, lovely touch from the youngsters today, with the release and flowers tributes etc

So touching for a lovely lad who has touched so many and will be missed immensely.

Lastly, as he was obviously too young for beer, you could all maybe raise a macaroni pie for him this weekend......he loved his macaroni pies  !! 😄

He actually created a spreadsheet for all league teams and he rated their macaroni pies out of 10, on taste / pastry texture and cost etc...was a great running joke for our away games.:)

This got me, but in particular that last bit about his spreadsheet. I'm in tears sitting on the couch hugging my 4yr old daughter, just thinking about how that sort of thing is the innocence of youth we quickly lose. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homme

• Factuer Moi

• Maroon Sailor

• Morgan

9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Funds going well

20220121_115947.jpg

just saw Livingston FC Community donated £100 👏👏👏

Desperately trying not to greet reading this thread, and anyone who knows me knows that crying is not something I do. 

I know this might be asking too much but, how often do Hearts use the number 13? Is there anyway Hearts could have their number 13 squad number be Devin? 

Edited by Norm

Jesus, I'm having a quick pint after work and I've had to nip to the toilet to have a wee bubble to myself. Utterly, utterly heartbreaking and just hope his family get through this. 

What terrible news to read.

A young boy. A Jambo.

Thoughts go out to his family and friends at this time

😓

We placed flowers at the railway bridge in Bathgate. To see all the tributes, mars bars and his favourite drink placed there by his friends along with shirts and scarves is deeply upsetting. 

💔

Edited by Craigieboy

Takeshi kovac
1 minute ago, Craigieboy said:

We placed flowers at the railway bridge in Bathgate. To see all the tributes, mars bars and his favourite drink placed there by his friends along with shirts and scarves is deeply upsetting. 

💔

Was up there today myself and its heartbreaking,  hope his family find the strength to see them through this

10 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

💔

The Mars bars are a lovely touch and there is a cheeky wee story behind it. 

Fair play to the Police too. A couple of coppers went into the Scotmid and bought Mars bars for all the kids who knew Devin. 

There were plenty of his friends in attendance tonight. Not all of them Hearts fans. Yet another emotional night for all who knew him.

RIP once again wee man. 

Pasquale for King

What a fantastic minutes applause, to see the players and their fans join in was extremely emotional and a credit to everyone. 

9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

What a fantastic minutes applause, to see the players and their fans join in was extremely emotional and a credit to everyone. 

Bloody tragic case. That minutes applause last night was one of the most emotional things I’ve ever seen at a football match. Well done Craig Gordon for making sure the game stopped. Well done John Beaton for allowing it to carry on the full minute. And actually, well done Celtic FC and their fans for taking part with dignity and respect.

On 20/01/2022 at 17:01, moz said:

Utterly Horrific news, still trying to process this

Seems a few of us on here are lucky enough to know Dev personally

My lad was one of Devs close friends, they have season tickets together in the Wheatfield and play in the same Juniors team....just good mates together at school and football.

Have taken Dev to many home and away games and love the lad - he just loved playing the game and following Hearts

Heartbroken at the news

Their Juniors game has been postponed this weekend and we off to meet all the boys at training tonight so they can all see each other and hopefully talk between themselves...they need to open up about this

He was his usual self on Tuesday night, planning more away games and hospitality...even joking about seeing if he would be allowed an away Euro trip with us when we qualify..!

There are more questions than answers I guess...wished he had talked to us

Sleep tight Fella ....will miss you dearly

Nothing you can say that hasn't already been said on this thread. Utterly tragic, and absolutely horrible for any family to go through. 

Learned last night that Devin was our season ticket neighbour. He sat in the seat next to my wee boy and would happily blether away to my wee boy - which in itself was a demonstration of his character considering my lad is only 7 and most teenagers wouldn't give a kid that age the time of day - but every match they would discuss what they thought the score was going to be, what was happening at their respective football teams, and would have a laugh about the macaroni pies! 

From a personal point of view, I honestly can't stress how much Devin helped my wee boy enjoy the football again. After sitting in the Gorgie Rd stand in front of someone who shouted and swore for the entire 90mins, he was getting anxious about going and it was utterly fantastic seeing him make a wee pal and to relax and enjoy the atmosphere rather than be terrified of the clown behind us last season. So for that, I would like to say a big thank you. 

Honestly didn't know what to say to his Dad last night. What can you say. But if he sees this, I hope he knows that the Jambo family are here for him and if he fancies a chat any time, I'm right behind him every Saturday. 

Lovely gesture from both clubs too, not only the minute's applause which was incredibly powerful, but there were signed jerseys sitting on his Dad's seat which I can only hope they thought to take home. They were quite overcome by everything and I can only hope that it can give them a little something to cherish in his memory.

Sleep well wee man. Wish you'd have spoken to someone. 

Edited by Batistuta87

It was a very touching moment during the minutes applause. Seemed right that the ball went out and the players could get involved as well. There has to be more ways for people to reach out for support. As I’m writing this there is an ex Aberdeen player kev mcnaughton people are trying to reach as tweeted some worrying comments so shows it can affect people of all ages

6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Nothing you can say that hasn't already been said on this thread. Utterly tragic, and absolutely horrible for any family to go through. 

Learned last night that Devin was our season ticket neighbour. He sat in the seat next to my wee boy and would happily blether away to my wee boy - which in itself was a demonstration of his character considering my lad is only 7 and most teenagers wouldn't give a kid that age the time of day - but every match they would discuss what they thought the score was going to be, what was happening at their respective football teams, and would have a laugh about the macaroni pies! 

From a personal point of view, I honestly can't stress how much Devin helped my wee boy enjoy the football again. After sitting in the Gorgie Rd stand in front of someone who shouted and swore for the entire 90mins, he was getting anxious about going and it was utterly fantastic seeing him make a wee pal and to relax and enjoy the atmosphere rather than be terrified of the clown behind us last season. So for that, I would like to say a big thank you. 

Honestly didn't know what to say to his Dad last night. What can you say. But if he sees this, I hope he knows that the Jambo family are here for him and if he fancies a chat any time, I'm right behind him every Saturday. 

Lovely gesture from both clubs too, not only the minute's applause which was incredibly powerful, but there were signed jerseys sitting on his Dad's seat which I can only hope they thought to take home. They were quite overcome by everything and I can only hope that it can give them a little something to cherish in his memory.

Sleep well wee man. Wish you'd have spoken to someone. 

Thanks mate, means a lot to hear that

Sorry I didn't make much sense last night when you were talking..!, was very overwhelming to see how this has touched so many

Just so you know, I'm not Devs dad though, I'm the Dad of his little pal that he sat with.....no worries though.

We all came in together and just swapped seats so the boys could sit together, as we couldn't get 5 season tickets together round that area.

Wasn't sure if I should have done anything with the strips last night but the steward / stadium manager retrieved them at the end of the game and made the decision for me.  

Hope your little fella will keep enjoying the games, great way to spend time with him.

Will try and say thanks on Saturday ....but it may end up just being a nod to you...!

Thank you to everyone last night and I'm sure the family will be very touched by the gestures

RIP Dev#4

18 minutes ago, moz said:

Thanks mate, means a lot to hear that

Sorry I didn't make much sense last night when you were talking..!, was very overwhelming to see how this has touched so many

Just so you know, I'm not Devs dad though, I'm the Dad of his little pal that he sat with.....no worries though.

We all came in together and just swapped seats so the boys could sit together, as we couldn't get 5 season tickets together round that area.

Wasn't sure if I should have done anything with the strips last night but the steward / stadium manager retrieved them at the end of the game and made the decision for me.  

Hope your little fella will keep enjoying the games, great way to spend time with him.

Will try and say thanks on Saturday ....but it may end up just being a nod to you...!

Thank you to everyone last night and I'm sure the family will be very touched by the gestures

RIP Dev#4

Ah OK, my mistake and my apologies - I thought Devin and the boy next to him were brothers and that you were their Dad. I'm assuming you're the guy who was sitting next to my wee boy last night but usually sit in front. He was wearing a navy Hearts jacket, and I'm the big guy with the beard. 

Honestly means the world to me that he gave my wee boy the time of day and blethered away to him. 

My sincere condolences to your laddie for the loss of his friend. I've been there myself under the exact same circumstances if he ever wants a blether. One thing I will say is that its much healthier to talk about these things than to bottle them up.

Don't be a stranger. See you at the next game. 

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

RIP wee man ❤️ ..and well done to Hearts and Celtic (players and fans) for very emotional and fitting tribute.

37 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Ah OK, my mistake and my apologies - I thought Devin and the boy next to him were brothers and that you were their Dad. I'm assuming you're the guy who was sitting next to my wee boy last night but usually sit in front. He was wearing a navy Hearts jacket, and I'm the big guy with the beard. 

Honestly means the world to me that he gave my wee boy the time of day and blethered away to him. 

My sincere condolences to your laddie for the loss of his friend. I've been there myself under the exact same circumstances if he ever wants a blether. One thing I will say is that its much healthier to talk about these things than to bottle them up.

Don't be a stranger. See you at the next game. 

No need to apologise fella....., yeah that's me.., the lads were just good buddies, not brothers

Mates and played in same Bathgate Juniors team, and obviously together at the Hearts games, home and some away.

Glad Dev helped your little lad along...hopefully he will be with you at games for a long time running now

See you at the weekend.

Was quite emotional to see the game allowed to be stopped, and everyone join in.  Beaton deserves some credit for that.

Celtic fans and players conducted themselves brilliantly as well, which you can't often say.

A real shame.

23 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Was quite emotional to see the game allowed to be stopped, and everyone join in.  Beaton deserves some credit for that.

Celtic fans and players conducted themselves brilliantly as well, which you can't often say.

A real shame.

Football doesn't really matter does it.  Except it does when it can be so positive like it was last night.  I won't be the only one who was pretty much in tears.  It's so visceral, can't imagine the pain of those who knew Devin, but it still hits you in the guts.  It isn't fair and because we all know it isn't fair and no one's fault, it's scary too.

Well done to everyone involved last night and let's just  hope it's the very last time we need to do this.

Bathgate's a great community and they'll stick together - thanks for your posts moz