Work Permits for Football Players 2008/09

Only a Game

Only a Game

Fully detailed in the link..

http://www.internationalworkpermits.com/football-player-work-permits.html

Seen a few threads/posts suggesting several Ugandan players. IMO the regulations makes it highly unlikely we would get work permits for any Ugandan international player, unless he has dual nationality with an EU country.

Dont know how this effects the assistant that Csaba might want to bring but I would imagine that roughly the same rules would be applied.

Charlie-Brown

These criteria aren't EU wide but specific to the UK which could put our clubs at a disadvantage to EU competitors - I'm surprised nobody has challenged them on that basis also the fact that a panel can decide to make exemptions to these criteria based on their own subjective opinions at the time and which can be inconsistent regards one application versus another (Jason Scotland being a classic example).

I suppose it depends if you have friends on the panel?

These criteria aren't EU wide but specific to the UK which could put our clubs at a disadvantage to EU competitors - I'm surprised nobody has challenged them on that basis also the fact that a panel can decide to make exemptions to these criteria based on their own subjective opinions at the time and which can be inconsistent regards one application versus another (Jason Scotland being a classic example).

I suppose it depends if you have friends on the panel?

Which In scotland we don't as we are not part of the OF and Uganda certainly won't be able to do us any favours as the president of the ugandan FA was imprisioned a while back for allegedly laundering fifas money.

If we are to sign anyone it will only be the very best players from that country who may have a chance to contribute significantly to the league.

did Uganda used to be british governed? There may be an odd few with links to other nationalities that might come over with duel citizenship.

These work permit rules apply to the UK only.

Which is why so many non-international players from around the world can play for clubs in other EU leagues as these countries have less stringent work permit criteria.

Seymour M Hersh

These work permit rules apply to the UK only.

Which is why so many non-international players from around the world can play for clubs in other EU leagues as these countries have less stringent work permit criteria.

Indeed, you just have to look at the Dutch and their conveyor belt of young Africans. A little disappointing our Government has always been so stringent here as they are lax elsewhere when it comes to immigration! Putting UK clubs at a real disadvantage with our so called partners in the EU.

"The panel's terms of reference are:

1. To consider whether the player is of the highest calibre.

2. To consider whether the player is able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in United Kingdom."

Can't see us signing any of the Ugandan boys having read the web link. I fail to see how Koki Mizuno of Celtic meets the above criteria when he is not even going to get a game for Celtic.

jamboinglasgow
Indeed, you just have to look at the Dutch and their conveyor belt of young Africans. A little disappointing our Government has always been so stringent here as they are lax elsewhere when it comes to immigration! Putting UK clubs at a real disadvantage with our so called partners in the EU.

I think the main basis behine the rules is so that the league does not come at a cost to home grown footballers however as the premier league has shown this has not stopped it at all. A better system would be to copy the spanish system of allowing players foregin players without a check but only allowing (I think) 3 non-spanish players playing at once. This would a much better way of doing it and you can hardly say the spanish football team and league are bad.

coppercrutch

2. To consider whether the player is able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in United Kingdom."

Can't see us signing any of the Ugandan boys having read the web link. I fail to see how Koki Mizuno of Celtic meets the above criteria when he is not even going to get a game for Celtic.

They flew him over and he had arrived in Scotland BEFORE the decision was ALLEGEDLY made. We all know the truth. Celtic were informed he would get the thumbs up no matter what. :mad:

The Old Tolbooth

So Hibs, who apparently have the finest crop of young talent in universal football, with their conveyor belt seemingly never drying up, get work permits for 2 Morrocans and an Algerian without any problems.

Tony Higgins anyone?

They flew him over and he had arrived in Scotland BEFORE the decision was ALLEGEDLY made. We all know the truth. Celtic were informed he would get the thumbs up no matter what. :mad:

Indeed. The Mizuno decision was an absolute disgrace. Has he even made it to the bench, yet? A British worker (eg Riordan) could easily perform the role he has at Celtic - i.e. making up the numbers in training.

jamboinglasgow
Indeed. The Mizuno decision was an absolute disgrace. Has he even made it to the bench, yet? A British worker (eg Riordan) could easily perform the role he has at Celtic - i.e. making up the numbers in training.

There was one reason only why celtic bought Mizuno, money. Celtic wanted to cement their posistion in Japan as the SPL team who gets japanese fans and their money. So they sign a promising young Japanese player who they get for free. They then get the scottish media to go on about how he is the best japanese player ever to come through. The first wp desicion fails due to the obvious not enough caps, then when it comes to appeal they have already had the media big him up and strachan gives this awful speech:

"The best player I have ever worked with, and that includes (Kenny) Dalglish and (Gary) McAllister"

they sign him and dont play him, not even on the bench which would make sense if they are building him up.

When hearts try a leading Georgian player who only cant play due to the teams posistion it is rejected straight away. The Jason Scotland situation demonstrated that the work permit system is a farce anyway.

And celtic are buying far east players just for the money, Du Wei was one but they even had to let him go when they discovered he had no talent.

There was one reason only why celtic bought Mizuno, money. Celtic wanted to cement their posistion in Japan as the SPL team who gets japanese fans and their money. So they sign a promising young Japanese player who they get for free. They then get the scottish media to go on about how he is the best japanese player ever to come through. The first wp desicion fails due to the obvious not enough caps, then when it comes to appeal they have already had the media big him up and strachan gives this awful speech:

"The best player I have ever worked with, and that includes (Kenny) Dalglish and (Gary) McAllister"

they sign him and dont play him, not even on the bench which would make sense if they are building him up.

When hearts try a leading Georgian player who only cant play due to the teams posistion it is rejected straight away. The Jason Scotland situation demonstrated that the work permit system is a farce anyway.

And celtic are buying far east players just for the money, Du Wei was one but they even had to let him go when they discovered he had no talent.

I'm pretty sure that Strachans heartstring-tugging speech refered to Nakamura (and thus totally irrelevant!), but everything else you say is spot on.

jamboinglasgow
I'm pretty sure that Strachans heartstring-tugging speech refered to Nakamura (and thus totally irrelevant!), but everything else you say is spot on.

opps, should read Mizuno's wiki page a bit closer.

In early January 2008, speculation arose in the Scottish press that Celtic would move for Mizuno. This was later confirmed by Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell who explained that the club plan on signing Mizuno, if he was granted a work permit.[1]

After initially being denied a permit, Celtic manager Gordon Strachan took part in an appeal hearing in which he described his other Japanese import Shunsuke Nakamura as a "flawless performer" and "The best player I have ever worked with, and that includes (Kenny) Dalglish and (Gary) McAllister", and claimed that Mizuno was a young player of immense talent and potential. The appeal was successful [2] and Celtic completed the signing of Koki Mizuno on Tuesday January 29th 2008.

odd way to go about a appeal that I have another player who is amazing so let this guy in.

If you look at who is appointed to the WP appeals panels I'm sure you can understand how he got a WP and how the Georgian lad didn't.

Archived