Jump to content

VAR will slow down scottish football & Fans wont like it


Masonic
 Share

Recommended Posts

When its introduced in a couple years the experience of going to the football is going to completely change for Scottish fans. Tempo will be slowed right down because of VAR and its impossible to know if to celebrate or not as u dont know if VAR will see something. Even having video evidence when in Weegie and i feel wont be sufficient for officials to give regualr decisive decisions against the old firm. Enjoy the next couple years because after that it wont be the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Francis Albert

    4

  • Do The Dance

    3

  • Tommy Brown

    4

  • McCrae

    2

viva hate

VAR kills the passion of the goal celabration and that alone makes me against it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AlphonseCapone

I'd actually like to hear what fans of countries with it think. I'm naturally suspicious of it that it might kill the vibe, but also for it because the decisions in Scottish football are shocking and this "might" help. I don't know if the whole kills the mood thing is accurate or not, never been to a game with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watch rugby and occasionally go to the matches. They've had VAR for years and I'm quite happy with it. For me getting the decisions correct outweigh slowing the tempo down. Whether we would get correct decisions where the OF are concerned is a different argument altogether.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd happily wait a few extra minutes to get the correct decision. In the last few weeks we lost to an offside goal and had a stonewall penalty denied in a game we dominated yet lost. Both big decisions that could or did cost us points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Armchair fans love it, fans in the ground hate it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mikey1874
2 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Armchair fans love it, fans in the ground hate it.

 

Yeah. 

 

Much better to seethe at Morelos scoring an offside goal. Or get texts saying the Celtic player handled on the line after Celtic went straight up the park and scored. 

 

Better to keep everything the way it is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never really quite got the debate about killing celebrations. I've been down to a few games in the PL since VAR came in and when that ball goes in the net, the fans still celebrate as normal. There might be a delay and a bit of confusion when the announcement comes over that there's an ongoing check but once the call comes over that it stands you get to do it all over again.

 

Very similar scenario to linesmen flagging for offside. We've all done it, started wildly celebrating a goal only to find out 10-15 seconds later when everyone stops that its offside. You don't let it ruin your moment though. Been the odd time where I've been convinced it was off so do sort of look at the linesman for the flag while I celebrate, but in the moment in a big match, I'm not giving a ****.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HeartsandonlyHearts

If Hearts score a goal and Var says it isn’t and it’s proven to have been correct then so be it.

If the @$$ cheeks continue to get the calls even though it’s obviously wrong then it’ll be a waste of all our time.

I fear that all Var will do is prove what we already knew with regards to the @$$ cheeks and the inconsistency of our officials and calls in their games. We’re just going to be more aggrieved than ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super_Hans

My only experience of VAR at a match was the Scotland v Israel game. 

Great drama. The anticipation waiting on the referee's final decision after reviewing Dykes' goal was something else. Amazing celebrating it twice over.

 

Obviously it will sometimes go against you but as long as they come to correct decision I'm all for it. Scottish football needs it. Do I trust those our referees to use it correctly? No.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They need to sort offside first. Having a toe or pinkie in front of defender should not be offside. VARs good at clocking the above but it makes a farce of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bull's-eye

I don't think we'll see it for years and years. The cost and upkeep and installing it in tinpot grounds will see it put on hold for the foreseeable.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

They need to sort offside first. Having a toe or pinkie in front of defender should not be offside. VARs good at clocking the above but it makes a farce of it. 

That isn’t 100% how it’s done now. It needs to be a part of the body you can score with. So a foot counts but a players arm doesn’t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spellczech

Get to celebrate a goal twice don't you?

 

We need it just to stop the shocking decisions in the big matches if nothing else...The really troubling thing about that Kyogo goal was how ready the media were to whitewash it as a "really tight call". It began with the commentator, continued with the studio pundits and continued with the written media the next day! Boyd was the only one who seemed to see that it wasn't  a tight call at all and that the linesman was perfectly placed too...

Edited by Spellczech
Link to comment
Share on other sites

frankblack
26 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I don't think we'll see it for years and years. The cost and upkeep and installing it in tinpot grounds will see it put on hold for the foreseeable.

 

 

 

 

 

Part of the cost of being in the Premiership.  If you have a shithole ground then you either fix it or stay down in the Championship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boy Daniel

Well, Leicester City just had a goal allowed after VAR righty over ruled the lines man. Only took a few seconds . The celebration was not muted and justice was done. What’s not to like. Adjudication also goes on as the game continues and if there has been a foul or other infringement the game is stopped and the free kick or whatever is given correctly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

William H. Bonney

Don’t they need big screens at the stadiums? Not sure where we’d put one at tynecastle? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, William H. Bonney said:

Don’t they need big screens at the stadiums? Not sure where we’d put one at tynecastle? 

The other thing is the cameras. I think, from memory, it’s something like a dozen cameras to get all the angles and I’d imagine they need to be symmetrical to each other. There are crappy grounds in Scotland that aren’t even symmetrical never mind camera positions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John Findlay
2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I'd actually like to hear what fans of countries with it think. I'm naturally suspicious of it that it might kill the vibe, but also for it because the decisions in Scottish football are shocking and this "might" help. I don't know if the whole kills the mood thing is accurate or not, never been to a game with it. 

Having been at Man City v Southampton at the Etihad back in August, the use of VAR kills a game stone dead imho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sassenach

I don't like VAR, and I agree wholeheartedly with the OP.

 

There is no such thing as a "wrong" decision, because Law 4 explicitly states "in the opinion of the referee".

 

Whether referees are incompetent (or corrupt) is a different matter, but it will be the same referees administering VAR, so nothing will change in that respect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ToqueJambo

I like it for penalties and red cards as that's where teams here tend to experience bad, game-changing decisions against the OF in particular. 

 

It seems to be used differently in England now. I think they do most goal checks behind then scenes very quickly now. When they started using it it did delay things a lot, it felt like almost every goal. Seems different this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bull's-eye
14 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Don’t they need big screens at the stadiums? Not sure where we’d put one at tynecastle? 

 

We're getting screens very shortly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spellczech
Just now, Bull's-eye said:

 

We're getting screens very shortly.

55 inchers in each of the corners!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Smith's right boot

If used properly like at the Euros it's a great thing. 

Not 100% proof but far better than it is now. 

 

We need it badly. 

 

It would sum up Scottish football fans tho- moan like **** against the OF bias, the quality of officiating, demand change ..... then moan like **** when it changes. 

🙃

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stupid Sexy Flanders
38 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Don’t they need big screens at the stadiums? Not sure where we’d put one at tynecastle? 

 

What for? Surely the ref can just signal his decision as he does now? 

 

I'm dead against VAR, for the record. I hate it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

campbell
3 hours ago, viva hate said:

VAR kills the passion of the goal celabration and that alone makes me against it. 


nonsense, I’ve been to plenty games in England of teams I’m not heavily invested in & I can assure you when they’ve scored I’ve celebrated & the actual supports of the teams have celebrated! It’s instinctive, yeah after the initial celebration there is a bit of a wait but it really doesn’t kill the passion of the initial goal celebration 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

campbell
46 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Don’t they need big screens at the stadiums? Not sure where we’d put one at tynecastle? 

No it’s not mandatory, I’m sure Liverpool & Man U are the two in the prem who don’t have it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do The Dance

VAR is shite. Better officials are required throughout the UK instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Will benefit everyone outside of the old firm. 

This. The OF will continue to benefit from marginal decisions (same foul is a red for a non-OF team but a yellow for them) but they’ll no longer get all the binary decisions (onside/offside, ball crossed the line or not) that they’ve benefitted from for years. Elliott’s ‘goal’ against Celtic a few years ago the best example where, instead of being a goal up, we ended up a goal down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tommy Brown
2 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

VAR is shite. Better officials are required throughout the UK instead.

 

And how do we go about getting that?  :rofl:

 

Make them full time and pay the loads

just makes them richer hopeless/corrupt (delete applicable or and &) see you next Tuesdays

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dr Lager

VAR will slow it down but will reduce the ridiculous advantage the old firm currently get a bit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

kingantti1874

Will get rid of the majority of the ludicrous decisions given to the old firm.. not all of them, but most 

 

it’s a must have 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

jr ewing
22 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Will get rid of the majority of the ludicrous decisions given to the old firm.. not all of them, but most 

 

it’s a must have 

I wonder if they'll try to block it 🤔 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jack Torrance

Keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always got. 

 

We have an opportunity to level the playing field a bit. We'd be mad not to take it. It needs to be done right and Englandshire have been trialling it long enough for us to learn from it. Surely we can strike a balance and do it right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Baxfee said:

They need to sort offside first. Having a toe or pinkie in front of defender should not be offside. VARs good at clocking the above but it makes a farce of it. 


should be clear daylight between a player for offside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

topsport
35 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always got. 

 

We have an opportunity to level the playing field a bit. We'd be mad not to take it. It needs to be done right and Englandshire have been trialling it long enough for us to learn from it. Surely we can strike a balance and do it right.

👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Byyy The Light

Not a fan of it in its current format so wouldn’t want it. 

 

Would prefer a tennis style challenge system so teams can challenge if they feel they’ve been wronged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Byyy The Light
4 minutes ago, McCrae said:


should be clear daylight between a player for offside.


Agreed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

upgotheheads
5 hours ago, Masonic said:

When its introduced in a couple years the experience of going to the football is going to completely change for Scottish fans. Tempo will be slowed right down because of VAR and its impossible to know if to celebrate or not as u dont know if VAR will see something. Even having video evidence when in Weegie and i feel wont be sufficient for officials to give regualr decisive decisions against the old firm. Enjoy the next couple years because after that it wont be the same.

 

5 hours ago, viva hate said:

VAR kills the passion of the goal celabration and that alone makes me against it. 

 

The above two views were, until recently, exactly mine, but over the last few months...

 

5 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Will benefit everyone outside of the old firm. 

 

I have begun to think more like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

upgotheheads
17 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Not a fan of it in its current format so wouldn’t want it. 

 

Would prefer a tennis style challenge system so teams can challenge if they feel they’ve been wronged.

 

 

Good idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

skinnybob72

You know how it will work in Scotland - we'll score a goal against Rangers and it will go to VAR who will rewind the footage and disallow the goal because a foul by Craig Levein on Mark Hateley went unseen by the referee in 1992. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do The Dance
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

 

And how do we go about getting that?  :rofl:

 

Make them full time and pay the loads

just makes them richer hopeless/corrupt (delete applicable or and &) see you next Tuesdays


How do you do that in any job? Have you decided that a referees job is now impossible without VAR?
Maybe it would require better pay to attract more applicants, and put proper money into training them properly. Could employ from down south or abroad if the real worry is a bias.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lone Striker
56 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

You know how it will work in Scotland - we'll score a goal against Rangers and it will go to VAR who will rewind the footage and disallow the goal because a foul by Craig Levein on Mark Hateley went unseen by the referee in 1992. 

😃  Ha-ha. Wouldn't put it past these bar stewards.      Its a valid point though - how far back in the move which led to the goal is VAR allowed to check for ?     

 

Also - in England currently, who makes the decision to review an incident in the first place ?  The actual ref ? The VAR ref ?  Or are there written guidelines that say all goals, penalty incidents, bad fouls etc ?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, Do The Dance said:


How do you do that in any job? Have you decided that a referees job is now impossible without VAR?
Maybe it would require better pay to attract more applicants, and put proper money into training them properly. Could employ from down south or abroad if the real worry is a bias.

EPL made them full time and give loads.

 

You still have the same refs making the same mistakes, just on a lot higher pay.

The fact that Mike Riley is head of referees backs my case, he is worst referee I have seen with the exception of Dougie McDonald.

 

I am all for VAR, but again EPL are hamming it with inconsistencies week to week. That is fault with the referees.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Groatallar

I was speaking to a current SPL ref who was at a VAR training session. He said to me to bear in mind it is only obvious errors that will be overturned despite some of the refs not agreeing with that stance.

 

IMO it will level things up a bit as weak referees will have the majority of their bottle crash wrong decisions in favour of the OF overturned.

 

His opinion was just wait until an error in a game involving one of the OF is not looked at by VAR (due to it not being deemed as an obvious error) for the fireworks to start!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Groatallar said:

I was speaking to a current SPL ref who was at a VAR training session. He said to me to bear in mind it is only obvious errors that will be overturned despite some of the refs not agreeing with that stance.

 

IMO it will level things up a bit as weak referees will have the majority of their bottle crash wrong decisions in favour of the OF overturned.

 

His opinion was just wait until an error in a game involving one of the OF is not looked at by VAR (due to it not being deemed as an obvious error) for the fireworks to start!

 Not sure I want VAR in general but when you add the old firm factor in then I'm all for it as surely can only work against them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

luckydug

I think the officials in England's top flight have become dependant on VAR. 

Hull v Everton tonight no VAR and the referee seemed scared to make decisions for himself. 

Two blatant penalties and a free kick on the edge of the box for Everton not given. 

The Everton manager was going crazy on the touchline as he's under pressure and defeat tonight could have been the final straw. 

If they are refereeing games with VAR they should get LESS money as they are not making the vital decisions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, William H. Bonney said:

Don’t they need big screens at the stadiums? Not sure where we’d put one at tynecastle? 

Man u and Liverpool I think do not have big screens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...