Heart of Midlothian v Ferencv?ros 2004 ? What do you remember?

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

I was at the game, all be it with a terrible view and all in all, it was a really disappointing night at Murrayfield.

I didn?t see Robbo?s kick, but from what I remember the Hungarians really played us off the park in spells, and I seem to recall that 0-1 flattered us a little.

I also remember Alan Maybury had a real howler at left back in one of his last games and that the Ferencv?ros fans set a something on fire ? was it a tyre?!

I pretty sure Csaba had his team playing some decent stuff, but results elsewhere knocked them out of the competition too.

Did they not knock Millwall out in the first round?

What caused Robbo to kick off?

Thoughts?

Buffalo Bill

Was that not the match where there was about 50 visiting fans who were of their heeds and set fire to some of the seats?!:eek:

I think the bozo's set off a flare and it set the seat on fire. Might be wrong though - I tried to wipe the game from my mind as IRC (trying not to !) they outplayed us completely.

Hans von Luck

It was ****ing of rain, and thats about it BB.

Poor showing from us if I remember.

i remember us being utter garbage.

i remember about ten hungarians requiring 40 lothian and border's police to keep them in order.

...and i remember being told that "Edinburgh is wonderful..." from a large minority in the corner.

Midloth_Iain

Typical frustrating European night.

Hearts playing traditional "up and at em" Scottish football without really getting anywhere.

Ferenc keeping the ball, going one up and from then on in killing the game, be it by time wasting or continuing to pass us to death.

The ref giving us nothing. :cool:

Had a terrible seat behind the goals, remember the fire in the away end but not much else, was a poor showing from us.

pressgang22
It was ****ing of rain, and thats about it BB. Poor showing from us if I remember.
Aye, we were well beaten... and the best Hearts player on the night was Mikey Stewart! Hartley scored an offside goal.....in terms of excitement (from a Hearts point of view)... that was it.

Hans von Luck
Typical frustrating European night.

Hearts playing traditional "up and at em" Scottish football without really getting anywhere.

Ferenc keeping the ball, going one up and from then on in killing the game, be it by time wasting or continuing to pass us to death.

The ref giving us nothing. :cool:

Are you sure you aint getting mixed up with the wee team ? :rolleyes:

Midloth_Iain
Are you sure you aint getting mixed up with the wee team ? :rolleyes:

They do play in the Green, (probably the 1st in Hungarialand to do so) ;)

We were crap. They were diving about and play acting constantly. The ref was awful.

That is what I remember.

Got slaughtered before the match - fell off a wall and I can't remember any of the game. Probably for the best.

Destruction Derby
I was at the game, all be it with a terrible view and all in all, it was a really disappointing night at Murrayfield.

I didn?t see Robbo?s kick, but from what I remember the Hungarians really played us off the park in spells, and I seem to recall that 0-1 flattered us a little.

I also remember Alan Maybury had a real howler at left back in one of his last games and that the Ferencv?ros fans set a something on fire ? was it a tyre?!

I pretty sure Csaba had his team playing some decent stuff, but results elsewhere knocked them out of the competition too.

Did they not knock Millwall out in the first round?

What caused Robbo to kick off?

Thoughts?

Buffalo Bill

Cant remember what English team they were playing but sure their Casual done over a few boys from there English counterparts, and hearing the rumours that the English boys were heading up, hence a heavier than usual police presense before kickoff, i.e horses etc

the sub goalie

Was sitting sheeting myself on a flight to NYC gutted not to be at the game and my ex nipping my ear as to how i could be thinking about hearts when we were on our holiday!!

As soon as we landed i couldnt wait to get to a phone to check what had unfolded at Murrayfield until i was led away by customs for further delay, i could swear she had set that up.........

They had drawn 1-1 at Millwall

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/history/season=2004/round=1975/match=79582/index.html

and won the Home leg 3-1 to go through on aggregate

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/history/season=2004/round=1975/match=79583/index.html

UEFA's match report is here

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/history/season=2004/round=1976/match=79725/report=rp.html

Of todays squad Robbie Neilson, Michael Stewart both played but Christophe Berra was an unused sub.

I also see that our opponents had a player with the slightly amusing name of D?niel T?zs?r

D?niel T?zs?r

Drylaw Hearts
They had drawn 1-1 at Millwall

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/history/season=2004/round=1975/match=79582/index.html

and won the Home leg 3-1 to go through on aggregate

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/history/season=2004/round=1975/match=79583/index.html

UEFA's match report is here

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/history/season=2004/round=1976/match=79725/report=rp.html

Of todays squad Robbie Neilson, Michael Stewart both played but Christophe Berra was an unused sub.

I also see that our opponents had a player with the slightly amusing name of D?niel T?zs?r

D?niel T?zs?r

IIRC that was one of Michael Stewarts best matches in his first spell.

Buffalo Bill
IIRC that was one of Michael Stewarts best matches in his first spell.

There was more than one?

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown

They were better than us (wasn't that difficult) and suspect Csaba is a better coach than Robbo (shouldn't be that difficult).

It was Stewarts best game for Hearts full stop.

He actually looked like an ex Man Utd prodigy in that game. Worryingly though that was because the Hungarians were happy to give us space knowing we couldn't exploit it properly.

I just remember that we had a chance of going through but come the game we just weren't in it at all. Typical pish Scottish team comes up against a far superior technical European side.

For their goal i remember Gordon saving about 3 efforts as the defence watched them take turns trying to beat him. Eventually one of them did.

Buffalo Bill
a far superior technical European side.

But now a hope for the future?

Buffalo Bill

Was the drunkest i've ever been at a football match. Fell in a puddle and over a bike on the way there. Spent the entire game lying over about 6 seats singing the Tony Mowbray's heid song to the sky completely out of tune.

Carl Weathers

If that game was at Tynecastle, I reckon the result might have been different.

Murrayfield was a nightmare.

The Old Tolbooth
I remember going to Stratties at half 12 and leaving at half 7, not much else.

You lucky man, I was sober and seen the lot, it was god awful!

Fozzyonthefence
For their goal i remember Gordon saving about 3 efforts as the defence watched them take turns trying to beat him. Eventually one of them did.

Are you not thinking about his triple save against Sparta Prague? (Another brutal European performance at Murrayfield.)

But now a hope for the future?

Buffalo Bill

Ksanavicius and Elliot.:P

Seriously though if he gets us playing the way they did against us then I will be pretty pleased.

Buffalo Bill
Are you not thinking about his triple save against Sparta Prague? (Another brutal European performance at Murrayfield.)

I think it happened against Feren' too.

Only they scored.

Buffalo Bill

Remember it was a boring game and had a good seat behind the dugouts.Robbo's fly kick at the other teams manager was probaly the best high light.More of a cheeky clip across the ankles?The 50 or so away fans were noisey as i remember.Hoping of better Euro ties in the not so future,or we could start up the old Anglo-Cup,now that was fun?

Drylaw Hearts
There was more than one?

Buffalo Bill

I remember one good half against Celtic.

Apart from that..........

Geoff Kilpatrick

It was a dreadful game.

Paul Hartley 'scored' but it was a blatant handball and rightly disallowed. Then it filtered through that Basle had scored against Feyenoord and it became irrelevant anyway.

Oh, and I briefly appeared on the Fake Radio phone in as one of a few random Jambos dragged on who were in the Murrayfield Hotel that night.

Seriously though if he gets us playing the way they did against us then I will be pretty pleased.

What he said :)

I seem to recall that they were clearly a better side and could have run us ragged, however they seemed content to play within themselves and were determined to go to ground at the slightest opportunity :sad:

marshallschunkychicken

I remember the game being shocking, the atmosphere being shocking, and the highlight of the evening being DaveyT going mental cause he got shortchanged in the Westfield and vowing never to go back.

marshallschunkychicken
I remember one good half against Celtic.

Apart from that..........

Was he not pretty good in the Braga and Basel games? Drink has addled my memory.

Francis Albert

I remember the feeling that whatever the outcome it wouldn't matter - and of course it didn't.

I remember that despite that we got nearly 30,000 on a miserable night.

It would have been SO different at Tynecastle of course.

Smoked-Glass
Cant remember what English team they were playing but sure their Casual done over a few boys from there English counterparts, and hearing the rumours that the English boys were heading up, hence a heavier than usual police presense before kickoff, i.e horses etc

That was millwall cause one of their boys got stabbed or something. None of the knobs turned up though.

Guest juvehearts

i remember waiting 20 mins to get served at the westfield & then left, went up to sommerfields & got a masisve kerry oot for all the boys that were outside & only getting 1 ******ing can :(

not amused,

went in to the game soaking wet because it was raining on the right hand side of the ferne fans & had a right bloody good sing along.

juve

tartofmidlothian

Remember a fairly open game until they scored, then they put the shutters up quite effectively. Dull as hell, but I'd have probably been pleased if the shoe was on the other one.

200milesfromgorgie

Like it was yesterday........

Took the captain north of the border for a romantic birthday present, (mid december right?)

Highlight of the week was a trip to watch Hearts in Europe. "It'll be amazing" i said.

Went to the game, good seat, nowt happend. about 15 Hungarians there, 2 set alight a seat. Robbos tactics twhere - Get Elvis (********* translated in to clown talk) to hoof it up to De Vries and hope for the best, didn't work. Get Wyness on,, wonderland song sparks up. Still nothing.

and that was about it.

But best thing i had seen in a while is when one of Csabas boys was rolling around in our box like a wee baby as if he'd been shot, Gordon went over to him and picked him up under the arms (as if he was a wee kid doing a jobby on the side of the motorway and gordon was his dad) and plonked him on the touch line, classic.

Then robbo kicked Csaba.

Best birthday present ive ever given her!:P

JamboJimmyB

I often bet on Hearts losing european games. A bet I am quite happy to lose.

Fene*** were 5 to 1 and I won ?250.

I remember Ferencvaros defending deep and hitting us on the break.

I remember getting about 20 free kicks in their half as they hacked down our players any time they got within 40 yards of their goal.

I remember every one of those free kicks was punted into their box and headed away by their defence.

I remember Elvis and Webster having one of their shakiest games ever.

I remember the odds for Basle beating Feyenoord being 1 squillion to one on.

I remember Michael Stewart being our best outfield player by a country mile yet still completely ineffective.

I remember cursing Murrayfield as I left the ground.

Buffalo Bill

I remember cursing Murrayfield as I left the ground.

Dare I mention the words 'Sparta Prague'?

Buffalo Bill

doctor jambo

Finnished work in Inverbervie, picked up the missus in Stonehaven and ploughed down the road

Sat behing the dug outs

Terrible view, terrible game

Home by 1am

totally P'd off

Chad Sexington

I was sitting in a hotel room in Kuala Lumpar waiting on the result to come on BBC World News Channel.

I had a sneaky feeling we were going to win.

We didn't.

Remember an all day session in Diane's and meeting two saucy Polish girls in the Liquid Rooms later on, but that's about it!

Was a terrible game. I'm pretty sure that the result of the Feynoord v Basle game knocked us out before our game had even kicked off...or very early into the game at most.

Led to a very flat performance, and we never looked like getting anything from it TBH

Archived