Tippy tappy across the back with little penetration

kila

Is that a fair assessment? Hearts to me seemed a bit slow and predictable for most of the game when in possession and our attacks generally began with the back four doing a bit tippy tappy, sometimes 1-2's with midfield and gradually moving up the park. Even counter attacks would often slow down and the ball played back with the preference seemingly being the safe pass.

We're definitely less in control of midfield with Beni missing, but there seemed to be too much focus on predictably playing across the back and slowly down the wings (occasionally with a long diagonal). I guess Rangers had a lot of bodies in midfield but there was space through the middle at times we just seldom used it. 

Midfield need to start having more of a shot on goal when the space/opportunity arises too instead of playing someone else in by default.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• jamboozy

• Unknown user

• frankblack

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

No penetration? On another day we score 4 or 5

I think this is how we have to look at things after today. Aye it's a pish result but, like you say, on another day we score a good few goals. I don't think we played badly, but in possession we can be quite slow with players taking more touches than needed. 

"On another day we score more goals"

No offence guys, but when does this happen? Lack of goals/missed opportunities has been an issue all season.

Good that we are creating chances though.

Edited by Jonkel Hoon

2 minutes ago, Mahroon said:

We got beat 2-0 so aye, no penetration. Put wide to the left every opportunity with 1 man in the box. Middle of the park was empty from us 

How many shots did we have ?

FFS I get we are all pissed off with the result but we played well 

Some of the spots on here are unbelievable

2 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

"On another day we score more goals"

No offence guys, but when does this happen? Lack of goals/missed opportunities has been an issue all season.

Good that we are creating chances though.

Feel quite sorry for Neilson. Set the team up well and got the lads right up for the game, only to be undone by pathetic defending and shite finishing. That shot that Boyce ballooned over the bar from close range was embarrassing for a striker. 

Glamorgan Jambo

The cross for the shot that Boyce ballooned over the bar took a deflection off the Rangers defender’s hand. Which the ref never noticed. Oddly enough.

Pasquale for King

Two centre halves as playmakers, one who barely finds a Hearts player with his World Cup passes. Easily pressed also and it’s panic stations. 

10 minutes ago, Mahroon said:

We got beat 2-0 so aye, no penetration. Put wide to the left every opportunity with 1 man in the box. Middle of the park was empty from us 

Spot on, just in from the game, still seething at Walsh. Our midfield are slow, hesitant & lacking any urgency. Whenever rangers midfield got the ball their midfield broke forward in numbers and at pace.

This game needed McEneff in place of haring/Detvlin who were far too deep most of the time.

Rangers showed how to beat a defence twice with quick decisive passes. We prefer to go back and sideways with a slow build up. That is no use, and we really lack someone who can carry the ball, or play a defence splitting pass.

8 minutes ago, Mahroon said:

We have a lazy lump of a centre forward who couldn’t lob McGregor who was near 10 years off his line. Get your maroon tinted specs off and stop defending absolute dross. Without Gordon, souttar and Halkett we would be in big bother. How many times did the midfield get caught in possession and ball watching?

So now we are absolute dross ?

Think you're giving spellczech a run for the slaverer title

37 minutes ago, kila said:

Is that a fair assessment? Hearts to me seemed a bit slow and predictable for most of the game when in possession and our attacks generally began with the back four doing a bit tippy tappy, sometimes 1-2's with midfield and gradually moving up the park. Even counter attacks would often slow down and the ball played back with the preference seemingly being the safe pass.

We're definitely less in control of midfield with Beni missing, but there seemed to be too much focus on predictably playing across the back and slowly down the wings (occasionally with a long diagonal). I guess Rangers had a lot of bodies in midfield but there was space through the middle at times we just seldom used it. 

Midfield need to start having more of a shot on goal when the space/opportunity arises too instead of playing someone else in by default.

Not a fair assessment. We came flying out the blocks and should've scored at least once before Rangers did. Second half, Rangers clearly were happy to sit in, if you expect us to be able to easily cut through a good team like that, when they're happy to sit in, you're in dreamland. We did still create several good opportunities second half, nevertheless. 

A major problem in midfield all season is that we have players like Deviln, Haring, Beni in the middle who are basically defensive and do not run through from midfield to help the attack. We have been crying out for years for a Colin Cameron type who can join in the attack and, most importantly, contribute their share of goals. Devlin, Haring, Beni = 0 goals this season and have never looked close to scoring (I know Haring has been used sparingly.) I suspect that is why McEneff and Woodburn were brought in but they are nowhere near as good as we require in midfield.

Haring can pass the ball more than 10 yards.  When scott Wilson said min of 1 months to play in the first half  we played it across the back. Then got a corner and took an age to take it.  We are too intent on keeping possession which slows everything down.   Sometimes you have to take a chance

46 minutes ago, kila said:

This was a massive game for both sides.

We made an arse out of it in a sense , falling into the moany faced arsehole trap Concentration levels were pretty good all round to be honest, not seeing much to moan about but the obvious ones. 

A defeat at home versus a side who will thump most sides in our League season after season. We are still rough and naïve. More than a good experience for our newbie players like Devlin.  This is his first time at the highest level, has plenty time to find his feet and form partnerships in the midfield. Wasn't his best game , he has the heart for it and the engine.

We have a Gap so no big deal as yet, we do need to get Beni back in the side along side Pete and Devlin. Still work in progress but we have the advantage over our rivals just now. We need to take full points from the next Three games, then it is the cup and Celtic at Tynie. Much to play for and to look forward to, this side is still forming gelling and missing some components. If we can remain ahead of 4th going into the break then we can win a Euro spot.

13 minutes ago, savage said:

16 chances on goal suggests different to the topic title.  

Our finishing was absolutely garbage. General play was decent enough.

2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I've no real complaints today tbh but aye, I'd imagine Kingsley, Souttar and Halkett have some pass completion stats.

True but there's a bloody good chance all 3 could be gone soon. Savage has a lot of work to do.

I don’t think so mate. That performance today didn’t worry me too much. We created plenty of chances and should have at least had a couple. Progress being made imo

From 15 mins Rangers had the luxury of defending in numbers. What we lack is someone who will win the first ball into the opposition box. It always feels like we are only competing for the second ball. Only time we ever look like troubling their CBs in the air is when Souttar & Halkett come up from the back at dead ball situations. I thought we competed well for the second balls today, but I still think we seem to lack direction and far too many that we win go to the opposition anyway...

I don't think I'd say Rangers were ever fully in control of the game given the number of good chances we created throughout, but I do think they were content to try and hit on the break when they might have stepped on to the front foot more if they'd needed to.

Ultimately I think we were a wee bit off it today but we were very unlucky not to score quite a few times

Why don’t we counter at speed when the chance is on? We have players like Ginnely an Mackay who can turn on the speed , so why don’t we utilise them when it’s on? Frustrating the hell out of me.

1 hour ago, Thought Police said:

No penetration? On another day we score 4 or 5

That's my view too, 16 shots at their goal hitting the woodwork twice and some great saves from McGregor would back that up.

53 minutes ago, Mahroon said:

We have a lazy lump of a centre forward who couldn’t lob McGregor who was near 10 years off his line. Get your maroon tinted specs off and stop defending absolute dross. Without Gordon, souttar and Halkett we would be in big bother. How many times did the midfield get caught in possession and ball watching?

hibs

4 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Why don’t we counter at speed when the chance is on? We have players like Ginnely an Mackay who can turn on the speed , so why don’t we utilise them when it’s on? Frustrating the hell out of me.

I think it is to do with body-positioning in the midfield. To counter you need the strikers /midfield / wingbacks to be offering for that first pass whilst moving away from goal. Too often our players are tight on a man, running laterally or facing back towards goal whilst stationary when the counter is on...First thing Rangers & Celtic players do when they believe the counter is on is turn and run for space. Also the OF both have speedy wing-backs. We tend to have hard-working ones.

59 minutes ago, Mahroon said:

52 minutes ago, Mahroon said:

We are where we are. A developing side.

3rd on merit but loads that need improved. I agree you look at team and might expect more runs and crosses. But we don't have a good target man. I think Baningime only improves that side slightly in being a bit sharper with his passes. 

It's a game lost on not having a reliable goal scorer though not sure we can afford one.  

13 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

When they get the ball instead of moving forward they stop and cut it back

15 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

I agree with what you say, however Ginelly and Mackay are nowhere near the quality of there Rangers counterparts, the difference in that respect is huge.

we never look as comfortable breaking at speed as Rangers (or Celtic) do

That has absolutely nothing to do with Neilson, the old firm can and always have been able to buy better quality 

1 hour ago, kila said:

Miles off. We had 16 shots, 8 on target and 53% of the possession. Very very unlucky not to get at least one goal which totally changes the game.

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

We are where we are. A developing side.

3rd on merit but loads that need improved. I agree you look at team and might expect more runs and crosses. But we don't have a good target man. I think Baningime only improves that side slightly in being a bit sharper with his passes. 

It's a game lost on not having a reliable goal scorer though not sure we can afford one.  

That is where I'm at.  Good progress but a few areas needing improvement if we want to step up a level.

1 hour ago, kila said:

It became that.  The progression comes with the manager seeing that and doing what he can to make us more adept at producing a telling move.  

It does look by design at times and we need players just to be more in the zone of thinking for themselves, do something off the cuff and give more energy into what they do. 

Edited by Debut 4

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Why are you even saying that?

Tippy tappy oot, more hoofs in? 

It's what the Freds all aboot! 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, kila said:

A really poor assessment.

We played very little possession in defence with no penetration football today. We very rarely just passed it about the back for numerous phases without moving it forward.

We lacked penetration due to a lack of quality at times in the final 1/3 but not at all times.

Whatever you think of those dirty Huns we were playing a team in the next phase of the Euro comp they are in and a the current league Champions - I genuinely don’t know what planet some Hearts fans were born on.

So, patently poor assessment IMO.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Selkirkhmfc1874

Thought we played well today and unfortunately Rangers took there chances then sat back behind the ball ! Didn't take our chances but the positive is we creating chances. 

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

It's a head scratcher. 

The answer could be that they aren't as good or the celtic or rangers wingers, and/or the options they have aren't as good. 

It could also be that the opposition stop us, in this case with their generally better players. 

It could also be that we did on occasion but were a bit unlucky. 

Maybe a bit of all 3.

You work it out. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tippy tappy oot, more hoofs in? 

It's what the Freds all aboot! 

If you look at the OP and the poster it is one of the usual suspects still trying to chuck in another Neilson Out thread by the back door after a disappointing result to get their pals piling in.

portobellojambo1

Think the game today was over as a proper contest from the 13th minute when they scored their second goal. They had built a lead which then let them determine how the remainder of the game could pan out. I was hoping that a win today might be a springboard for this Christmas/New Year period, to pick up points and keep us very close to the OF. But maybe it is time to just concentrate on doing enough to maintain third spot and maybe have a decent run in the cup. The number of attempts we had does sort of suggest it just wasn't our day today, however likke some who have posted I did find myself getting frustrated when attempts to go forward were stopped by players turning back to play the ball either backwards or sideways, something which has been referred to on here as the easy pass. Our midfield three today were more or less non-existent/ineffective, which in turn made it easy for them to decide how they would come forward on the occasions they did choose to.

Edited by portobellojambo1