Even boozers are PC now

EH11_2NL

The only way to stop this nonsensical crusade is don't give them your hard earned. If people want to pander to extreme minorities then let extreme minorities do business with them. 2022 has to be the year we finally say no more. 

Local folklore? 😂 It’s just a boozer name, the story remains. I assume the botch had a name, why not just name it after her ? The black lassie would be better. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Local folklore? 😂 It’s just a boozer name, the story remains. I assume the botch had a name, why not just name it after her ? The black lassie would be better. 

:orly?:

I opened this expecting it to be something that only those of a bygone era would be angry about but that's ridiculous 😂😂

You can apply your own context and take different meanings of many words to make it sound offensive. Doesn't mean it is, or that you shouldn't use them anymore.

Also, I wasn't aware there was racist connotations in either usage of the word bitch. Which given they're retaining the black part, I'm not sure it makes any sense even allowing for their logic

Edited by Taffin

27 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I suppose asking for a black coffee at a Greene King pub would result in being barred for life?

That's to my point, they're retaining the black part in the new name. So presumably it's the bitch part they're saying has racial connotations 🤷‍♂️

Maroon Sailor
32 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I suppose asking for a black coffee at a Greene King pub would result in being barred for life?

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's to my point, they're retaining the black part in the new name. So presumably it's the bitch part they're saying has racial connotations 🤷‍♂️

I think the two words together can clearly be racial, change the name to hound then you’re clearly talking about a black dog. 

26 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I think the two words together can clearly be racial, change the name to hound then you’re clearly talking about a black dog. 

Of course it can but only if you look for it imo. If you called someone a black hound it would be horrendously racist and offensive as well imo. Nobody should be calling any other person either of those things. 

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Says more about the person/people who decided to make the change than the name of the pub. 

Agreed. 

9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It does sound racist AF to anyone who doesn't know anything about the back story behind the name.

That could apply to a multitude of things & places.

Blackpool

Blackburn

Black Cuillin

The Black County

Black Pudding

To name just a few, there has to be hundreds if not thousands of place names, mountains, rivers etc etc, which somebody so minded could take as being racist, and are clearly not.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That could apply to a multitude of things & places.

Blackpool

Blackburn

Black Cuillin

The Black County

Black Pudding

To name just a few, there has to be hundreds if not thousands of place names, mountains, rivers etc etc, which somebody so minded could take as being racist, and are clearly not.

I've never heard any of them being used as a slur.

Nucky Thompson
48 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It does sound racist AF to anyone who doesn't know anything about the back story behind the name.

It doesn't sound racist at all. It's a female dog and it's black in colour.

I've got a tan bitch. 

If folk get offended by black bitch, then it's them that has a problem

The Real Maroonblood
36 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I've got a tan bitch. 

Exactly.

rudi must stay
10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

What if it was called the Black cow or the Black sow or the Black mare?

Black mail 

3 hours ago, Dazo said:

Female dogs have always been known as bitches. There is no need to change the name, no need at all. If people don't know that a female dog is a bitch, then I suggest they educate themselves.

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I've got a tan bitch. 

I'm not offended by it. I can just understand why the owners want to change it.

9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm not offended by it. I can just understand why the owners want to change it.

Pretty much this, I’m not offended by the name in the slightest. Everyone is aware what a female dog is. Context is everything but if you overheard that term I doubt many people would assume a black coloured female dog was the point of discussion. 

It’s a large pub chain, I can see why they are changing it. Can’t see why the new name is an issue if people are worried about the folklore. 

21 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Do people with female dogs actually use the word bitch in conversation? Surely that doesn't happen. 

Why wouldn't it happen? That's what they are called.

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Bit like the guy who entered his dog at Crufts...

Reveal hidden contents

... He got six months for bestiality.

Or the scientist who practised beastiality.

He was always in his lab.

1 hour ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Do people with female dogs actually use the word bitch in conversation? Surely that doesn't happen. 

🤣🤣🤣

Unbelievable ! 

Do you prefer to say 'boy dog' or 'girl dog' 

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

🤣🤣🤣

Unbelievable ! 

Do you prefer to say 'boy dog' or 'girl dog' 

Breeders or farmers aside I genuinely think when discussing a dogs sex the majority would say a boy or a girl. Might be totally wrong though. 😂

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I've got a tan bitch. 

Indeed. 👍   

Presumably WL council will now feel obliged to put a notice next to the cairn statue of said Black Bitch, apologising and offering counselling for anyone offended by the name. :facepalm:  

Apparently Greene King have changed the names of 4 other pubs this year,  called The Black Boy and The Blacks Head.  So its the word black that seems to be behind this, rather than bitch.     Sounds like they're aiming for a "look at me"  Diversity & Inclusiveness award.

This, coming from a company with the name of a colour  and a Royal title in its name.   If they're worried about looking racist, shouldn't they also be thinking about the offence caused to republican customers  ?       Personally, I'm much more offended by any spelling of the word Green - in fact, pretty much anything with the name Green in it.   And especially one which has allowed the once glorious Belhaven Best to become a  bland watery waste of money.    :wallbash:

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Breeders or farmers aside I genuinely think when discussing a dogs sex the majority would say a boy or a girl. Might be totally wrong though. 😂

You are 😂

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

You are 😂

Fair enough, I’ve had dogs and cats all through my life and can safely say I’ve called the mrs a bitch more than I have my dogs. 😳😂

23 minutes ago, Locky said:

Read this whole thread and no one has asked the question for me FFS.

What is the story behind the name?

Linlithgow's Coat of arms features a black bitch chained to an oak tree on an island, and those born within the town are known as "black bitches".[50] In his account of a tour of Scotland, published in 1679, an English gentleman, Thomas Kirk, described the arms of the town as "a black bitch tied to a tree, in a floating island. We enquired for a story about it, but could meet with none: their schoolmaster told us it proceeded from the name of the place. Linlithgow, in Erst [Gaelic], is thus explained: Lin signifies Lough; Lith, black; and Gow, a hound."[51]

A more recently recorded legend relates that the bitch was a black greyhound whose master was sentenced to starve to death on an island in the loch. She used to swim from the town every day with food for him. When this was discovered she was chained to a tree on a different island to suffer the same fate as her master. The townspeople took the animal's loyalty and bravery as symbolic of their own.

28 minutes ago, Locky said:

Read this whole thread and no one has asked the question for me FFS.

What is the story behind the name?

So tempting to make a joke here but value my account :(

Maroon Sailor
42 minutes ago, indianajones said:

The world is full of virtue signalling arseholes. 

Yep

The Black pudding will be the next target for these arseholes

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yep

I'd go to war to protect that delicacy. One of the best foods in the world. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yep

It’ll be called ****** pudding.

In case folk are offended I better not put the name in.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Same. It seems I've massively underestimated how many folk are walking about calling their dogs bitches 😄.

Are people also calling their cats queens and toms and referring to donkeys as jennys and jacks? Seems weird that the only one people would use also happens to be a brutal slur for a woman. 

joondalupjambo
4 hours ago, Pap said:

Black pudding is a cert to be changed at some point. :sob:

Yeah it will be changed to white pudding. Oh wait we have that already.  What now for a new name?  Pudding of colour?  Two pudding of colour suppers please.

And thinking about it the new name black hound surely that does not sit right either.  Thinking of the deep south here.

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Nah all the new, modern dog owners call them bubba or my little baby.

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Linlithgow's Coat of arms features a black bitch chained to an oak tree on an island, and those born within the town are known as "black bitches".[50] In his account of a tour of Scotland, published in 1679, an English gentleman, Thomas Kirk, described the arms of the town as "a black bitch tied to a tree, in a floating island. We enquired for a story about it, but could meet with none: their schoolmaster told us it proceeded from the name of the place. Linlithgow, in Erst [Gaelic], is thus explained: Lin signifies Lough; Lith, black; and Gow, a hound."[51]

A more recently recorded legend relates that the bitch was a black greyhound whose master was sentenced to starve to death on an island in the loch. She used to swim from the town every day with food for him. When this was discovered she was chained to a tree on a different island to suffer the same fate as her master. The townspeople took the animal's loyalty and bravery as symbolic of their own.

Cheers LS.

1 hour ago, Steak said:

So tempting to make a joke here but value my account :(

Well it's a good job I don't, so get it telt.

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

And extra to that is a Black Bitch is the name for somone born in Linlightow and whose parents were both born in Linlithgow. Same as someone born in Whitburn and whose parents are both born in Whitburn is a Downdie.