• Morgan

• Dazo

• JudyJudyJudy

• Greedy Jambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Not so far thankfully.

There are a couple of handy options to help with screen burn for the 2021 LG OLED's.  I'm not sure if this is available on the older models.

Click Settiings / All Settings / Support / OLED Care / OLED Panel Care and set Screen Move on and Adjust Logo Brightness up to High.
The TV should also automatically run a Pixel Cleaning routine periodically.

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

On my Sony OLED I noticed that the football picture on UHD was darker than the HD picture so I amended my UHD settings from 10 bit to 8 bit via the settings menu. This only occurs on the football UHD which is strange so I just set it back to 10 bit for all other UHD channels. 

No idea why this occurs though 🤷‍♂️

Happens with all TVs. I think it might be to do with HDR.

Edited by hughesie27

56 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

On my Sony OLED I noticed that the football picture on UHD was darker than the HD picture so I amended my UHD settings from 10 bit to 8 bit via the settings menu. This only occurs on the football UHD which is strange so I just set it back to 10 bit for all other UHD channels. 

No idea why this occurs though 🤷‍♂️

Hughesie is correct in saying that it's related to HDR.  If you don't have a setup box capable of HDR, your UHD TV picture will look dull if the setup box is set to 10 bits as the extra bits carry the HDR feed I believe.  Check if your setup box is HDR compliant.  If it's not, ask for an upgrade.  As you say, the workaround is to set it to SDR (8 bits).

48 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Well it is not working

You never let me down.

Janet is asking for you, by the way.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

You never let me down.

Janet is asking for you, by the way.

Panique crowd GIF on GIFER - by Kat

Edited by milky_26

On 30/11/2021 at 22:38, Morgan said:

No TV here for at least 9 years.

The smaller the TV the bigger the bank balance. You must be ****in minted.

21 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

That explains a lot. 

I don’t even know why but I sort of admire folk who don’t have a telly. Always think they’re away doing interesting and intellectual things while the rest of us rot in front of the box. 

Edited by GinRummy

55 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I’m saying nothing.  :biggrin:

54 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t even know why but I sort of admire folk who don’t have a telly. Always think they’re away doing interesting and intellectual things while the rest of us rot in front of the box. 

It’s just Greedy/Pirate and whatever other usernames he had (or has) having a go at me.

It’s really just water off a ducks back to me, due to the fact that I find him about as interesting as an apricot.

He’s also not very bright.  🙄

I’m off to do something interesting now.  

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

that is a false statement.

poor people have big tvs, rich people have home cinemas

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

that is a false statement.

poor people have big tvs, rich people have home cinemas

No people with a moderate amounts have home cinemas. The mega rich and Morgan could confirm this just hire the actors to do what they want to watch live infront of them.

26 minutes ago, Herbert said:

No people with a moderate amounts have home cinemas. The mega rich and Morgan could confirm this just hire the actors to do what they want to watch live infront of them.

:levein_interesting::ruiner:

34 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Oh!  we do that as well.

😎

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Haa. I only use mine for gaming and finding out daft shit on youtube to be fair. (occasionally Netflix)

Салатные палочки
41 minutes ago, Locky said:

image.thumb.png.28599c49012ec269d0665130cd255cba.png

I've shared enough telly space with you. I'm in the big league now. 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

I've shared enough telly space with you. I'm in the big league now. 

Telly Savales 

• 1 year later...

Had a walk round Currys, Sony OLED TV picture looked fabulous, this will depend on the bit rate of the signal source I suppose. Are they any guid? My old Sony (never missed a beat) needs retired though...:sad:

8 minutes ago, OBE said:

Had a walk round Currys, Sony OLED TV picture looked fabulous, this will depend on the bit rate of the signal source I suppose. Are they any guid? My old Sony (never missed a beat) needs retired though...:sad:

Highly recommend getting an OLED set. 

15 minutes ago, OBE said:

We have a couple of Sony Oled’s and the picture is incredible. If it’s going into a sunny/light room though and you watch a lot of movies/tv series with darker scenes don’t bother, picture  is basically invisible. 🙄

Edited by Dazo

19 minutes ago, OBE said:

Think I’ll treat myself to a new telly . Never heard of Oled? 

5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

We have a couple of Sony Oled’s and the picture is incredible. If it’s going into a sunny/light room though and you watch a lot of movies/tv series with darker scenes don’t bother, picture  is basically invisible. 🙄

Stick it on Bright Room mode and it's much the same as trying to watch any TV in a bright room.

41 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Highly recommend getting an OLED set. 

Appreciated...:thumbsup:

35 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Can darken the intended room with a pull of a cord...:thumbsup:

31 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Green cheese...:P

29 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Stick it on Bright Room mode and it's much the same as trying to watch any TV in a bright room.

Not they have that setting as I’m looking retry sure I’d have checked. I’ll double check later on though. It is a known issue for oleds though and one I ignore when purchasing. 🙄 Sad to say our Samsung pisses all over them during the day. 

2 minutes ago, OBE said:

Make sure it’s black out blinds/curtains then. We had to change the curtains/blinds in one room as it made little difference. It was a very bright room though with 4 windows and French doors. 

Edited by Dazo

10 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Not they have that setting as I’m looking retry sure I’d have checked. I’ll double check later on though. It is a known issue for oleds though and one I ignore when purchasing. 🙄 Sad to say our Samsung pisses all over them during the day. 

If you have an option to create a custom mode you could make your own one and ramp up the backlight/OLED light, brightness and contrast settings. This should make it fairly similar to watching a standard LED tv in a bright room (unless you're talking almost so bright it's like being outside, or have the sun beaming directly on to the set)

21 minutes ago, OBE said:

Appreciated...:thumbsup:

Green cheese...:P

It’s ok I’ve checked the prices ! Do you get unlimited coke and popcorn too ? 😂

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

If you have an option to create a custom mode you could make your own one and ramp up the backlight/OLED light, brightness and contrast settings. This should make it fairly similar to watching a standard LED tv in a bright room (unless you're talking almost so bright it's like being outside, or have the sun beaming directly on to the set)

We’re 2 years in and to be honest we’ve learnt to live with it by picking which room, which program and time to watch. Not really an issue now for us but can’t lie was pissed off at the time. Oled is the correct answer though as the picture is tremendous. 

Newer OLEDs are have brightened up a bit since 2022 models. You can look online for their 'nits' rating. You want one that's reaching 700 nits at least to be usable without curtains closed.

Also need to consider if any lights in the room will reflect on the screen as OLEDs have a very glossy type screen. 

Your phone probably has an OLED screen, they'll be brighter than a typical TV will be capable of though.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, OBE said:

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Whenever I've bought tellies (not very often) my approach is:

1. What size fits the space I'm putting it? Where mine are fixed kind of dictates a maximum - chimney breasts and alcoves. I've ended up with a 48" as the main telly and a 49" in the second room. Neither is overpowering.

2. What's the best tech that I can afford? The 48" is the main one. I bought it when 4k was new and OLED was just coming out. I could have gone OLED for about 4 times the price but 4k was bloody impressive and was going to cost me about £1500 anyway. I'll have it for about 20 years so start slightly ahead of the curve. The 49" is in a room to be used mainly by the kids so I'm not giving them better than I'm using. Got that telly a couple of years after the "main" one but went to about £6-700, still with HD.

42" LG in the media cabinet and a 20" 20 year old LCD in the bedroom. Behind doors so we can make it disappear if we want. Very happy with it.

15 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Whenever I've bought tellies (not very often) my approach is:

1. What size fits the space I'm putting it? Where mine are fixed kind of dictates a maximum - chimney breasts and alcoves. I've ended up with a 48" as the main telly and a 49" in the second room. Neither is overpowering.

2. What's the best tech that I can afford? The 48" is the main one. I bought it when 4k was new and OLED was just coming out. I could have gone OLED for about 4 times the price but 4k was bloody impressive and was going to cost me about £1500 anyway. I'll have it for about 20 years so start slightly ahead of the curve. The 49" is in a room to be used mainly by the kids so I'm not giving them better than I'm using. Got that telly a couple of years after the "main" one but went to about £6-700, still with HD.

Yes, I have limited space on the unit that it'll be sat on. One thing that surprised me, the Sony 42" Bravia XR Oled is the same price as the 48", must be the internal gubbins that dictate the cost and not the screen size...

1 hour ago, OBE said:

Yes, I have limited space on the unit that it'll be sat on. One thing that surprised me, the Sony 42" Bravia XR Oled is the same price as the 48", must be the internal gubbins that dictate the cost and not the screen size...

I’d also purchase from somewhere that included a 5 year warranty, probably not Curry’s. Many online places do including Sony direct but locally John Lewis and Costco do as standard. Think richer sounds is 6 year and generally cheaper. 

Edited by Dazo

32 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’d also purchase from somewhere that included a 5 year warranty, probably not Curry’s. Many online places do including Sony direct but locally John Lewis and Costco do as standard. Think richer sounds is 6 year and generally cheaper. 

This. Would never buy a TV without a warranty these days.

5 hours ago, jonesy said:

Buy a fecking book. 

You've got to go through some amount of books just to learn what you could from google in 20 minutes. 

On 01/12/2021 at 18:32, Greedy Jambo said:

That explains a lot. 

😂😂😂

Whatever keeps him correcting a misplaced comma on a fans forum, though.