Ballon d'Or

Der Kaiser

Messi again......really?

Jorghino has a Champions League medal and a European Champions

Winners Medal. Super Cup. UEFA player of the Year.

(Damn predictive text)

Edited by Der Kaiser

• Der Kaiser changed the title to Ballon d'Or

Messi had an average season for his levels but still had impressive figures none the less.

Id have given it to Lewandowski

Edited by Jeff

McGlynn The Money
5 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Messi again......really?

Jorghino has a Champions League medal and a European Champions

Winners Medal. Super Cup. UEFA player of the Year.

(Damn predictive text)

Farcical. A lot of people saying that the PSG owners basically bought it for him.

Byyy The Light
1 minute ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Farcical. A lot of people saying that the PSG owners basically bought it for him.

There’s a graphic doing the rounds on Twitter that shows his stats are far better than Lewandowski. There’s more to football than just scoring goals.

fabienleclerq
2 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

There’s a graphic doing the rounds on Twitter that shows his stats are far better than Lewandowski. There’s more to football than just scoring goals.

There's more to football than stats aswell. 

For me Lewandowski should've won it both last year and this. It now looks like a popularity contest. 

McGlynn The Money
2 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

That always seems to get trotted out when Messi wins it undeservedly. Yet when he's won it after being top scorer, goals were deemed enough. Just seems double standards when he's involved.

Byyy The Light
5 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

There's more to football than stats aswell. 

For me Lewandowski should've won it both last year and this. It now looks like a popularity contest. 

4 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

That always seems to get trotted out when Messi wins it undeservedly. Yet when he's won it after being top scorer, goals were deemed enough. Just seems double standards when he's involved.

I actually think the ballon d’or is a bit like the Eurovision Song Contest to be honest. I just never understand why people want to discredit Messi. For the last god knows how long he’s been one of top scorers in world football AND top of assists and chances created. He’s an unbelievable talent. We’re talking consistently for over 10 years.

6EA3AC48-C9D9-4BC9-8CA1-BD08F8AF3B59.jpeg

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

he didn't get many goals this season for real madrid

Original' Ronaldo makes Real Madrid comeback – and you won't believe what  he looks like - Daily Star

I know he was ‘slightly plump’ but, that can’t  be a real picture?  

Surely not?

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Surely not?

considering he named his son after ronald mcdonald, it is real

12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Surely not?

I believe it is - there are many like it

Bazzas right boot
39 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

I actually think the ballon d’or is a bit like the Eurovision Song Contest to be honest. I just never understand why people want to discredit Messi. For the last god knows how long he’s been one of top scorers in world football AND top of assists and chances created. He’s an unbelievable talent. We’re talking consistently for over 10 years.

Pretty conclusive based on that. 

Lewandowski is a great goalscorer but Messi is so much more than a great goalscorer. Jorginho would've been my second choice especially as he didn't have the best start to the season with Frank not really being a huge fan and Jorginho was not a huge fan of Lamps either...Messi had a tumultuous season off the park too, but he just kept on playing and performing.

There are a lot of people who get into arguments about Messi and Ronaldo who are going to be regretting it when they've retired, as the vacuum they'll leave in football is huge. The same cannot be said outside of Munich and Poland for Lewandowski, and London & Italy for Jorginho.

Edited by Spellczech

jamboinglasgow
44 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

As a big fan of Messi I have to Lewandowski should’ve won it. 

I am the same.

Even Messi said in his acceptance speech that the award should go to Lewandowski instead.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I am the same.

Even Messi said in his acceptance speech that the award should go to Lewandowski instead.

That’s good he said that, can’t see Ronaldo ever being there magnanimous. 

McGlynn The Money
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s good he said that, can’t see Ronaldo ever being there magnanimous. 

Yes, Messi is such a nice guy, no ego at all...

18 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Jorghino 3rd, Kante 5th & KDB 8th are shocking. 

It’s really not. We get brainwashed by Sky and the rest of the British sporting media that the EPL is the be all and end all and all the best players are in it. Good players without a doubt but as an example is Kante really the 5th best player in Europe? 

39 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I am the same.

He said the 2020 award that was cancelled should have gone to Lewandowski.

As well as all the other stats, Messi was by far the best player at the Copa America and finally won the international trophy that has alluded him. Maybe not his greatest season, but still good enough to win the Ballon D’or. 

7 hours ago, Morgan said:

Surely not?

He's got hyperthyroidism. Which makes him fat. 

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

It’s really not. We get brainwashed by Sky and the rest of the British sporting media that the EPL is the be all and end all and all the best players are in it. Good players without a doubt but as an example is Kante really the 5th best player in Europe? 

The EPL teams always do well in the Champions League - along with the 3 La Liga teams - so they will have players represented. 

As many top players in the EPL than there are in any other league 🤷‍♂️

fabienleclerq
10 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

I think discredit is stretching it, it's not about the last ten years it's about the last year. In that year I think Lewandowski has been the best player. Its about crediting him rather than just handing it to messi for being the best the last ten years. 

fabienleclerq
10 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Pretty conclusive based on that. 

How? 

You can pick stats to suit any argument, tackles made and passes completed? 

Lewa plays up front and messi in a team that passes it constantly, bayern are more direct than barca were. 

Byyy The Light
28 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I think discredit is stretching it, it's not about the last ten years it's about the last year. In that year I think Lewandowski has been the best player. Its about crediting him rather than just handing it to messi for being the best the last ten years. 

But he's not, based on the stats. It's about the best player, not who scored the most goals.

fabienleclerq
32 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

But he's not, based on the stats. It's about the best player, not who scored the most goals.

You can fit stats to suit your argument, messi said in his speech he deserved it. 

Football isn't all about stats. 

Bazzas right boot
59 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

How? 

You can pick stats to suit any argument, tackles made and passes completed? 

Lewa plays up front and messi in a team that passes it constantly, bayern are more direct than barca were. 

It's every stat but goals there. 

Messi isn't even a striker and look at his goals. 

When folk discuss the Goat, folk forget that. 

Messi has never played as a striker, he's always played behind/ with someone yet even  his goal record beats most strikers, many of them great players. 

He's won it anyway. 

Life goes on. 

2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

A poor decision which slightly devalues the award.  

Go further down how the hell is Luis Suarez in the top 20 Mason Mount 19th 

No Sadio Mane either 😂

Pedri 24th plays for Barcelona played 39 times since 2020  

Byyy The Light
25 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

You can fit stats to suit your argument, messi said in his speech he deserved it. 

Football isn't all about stats. 

He didn't, he said he should've won it last year, the one that was scrapped due to Covid.

Lewandowski won the best striker award, a new category for the best goalscorer.  Fair dos.

I know football's not all about stats but they give a pretty good indication.  If not stats, what criteria would you use to illustrate Lewandowski being the better player over the last year?  Did you watch every game they both played?  

I think people just want it to go anyone but Messi because it's boring if he wins it again.  Happens in every sport I suppose, boxing, tennis, golf, F1, people look for a way to knock down the dominant guy. 

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

He didn't, he said he should've won it last year, the one that was scrapped due to Covid.

Lewandowski won the best striker award, a new category for the best goalscorer.  Fair dos.

I know football's not all about stats but they give a pretty good indication.  If not stats, what criteria would you use to illustrate Lewandowski being the better player over the last year?  Did you watch every game they both played?  

I think people just want it to go anyone but Messi because it's boring if he wins it again.  Happens in every sport I suppose, boxing, tennis, golf, F1, people look for a way to knock down the dominant guy. 

Why do you keep going with the discreding messi angle? 

Lewandowski in the games I seen over the last year was better, that's my opinion. Tbh salah probably was aswell. 

2 things:

Why was is cancelled due to COVID last year when football carried on?

How does Mo Salah not get a mention? He has been one of Europe's most exciting and prolific players for 5 years.

Malinga the Swinga

No problem with winner. It's an award that means something to a few players, but it's just an opinion, and doesn't prove anything.

Chelsea keeper was on there. I honestly believe Gordon is far better keeper.