TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

Unfortunately I agree - there would be fairly substantial running costs even of keeping it unused (security, health and safety requirements)

NBD bought it to stop any unwelcome developments. Perhaps the current economic crisis has forced a rethink. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Be interesting to see who wants a house right next door to a football stadium, if it does go for housing. 

There all ready is housing next to the ground , not sure if there’s been complaints in the past ?

12 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Might interest the benefactors 

Part of It would make a good HQ for Big Hearts, due to its facilities, and maybe the Council/Tynie Nursery could be persuaded to move there to free up space in the Main Stand. 

Looks from the outside like it's  been neglected a bit, so might need a bit spent on it on top of the purchase price, though.

Allowayjambo1874
2 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Part of It would make a good HQ for Big Hearts, due to its facilities, and maybe the Council/Tynie Nursery could be persuaded to move there to free up space in the Main Stand. 

Looks from the outside like it's  been neglected a bit, so might need a bit spent on it on top of the purchase price, though.

Understand what your saying but I think Big Hearts have an office in main stand they use and given that we have a whole floor in the new stand unused, what does moving the nursery out achieve other than give more unused space and expense? 

57 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Could be an issue for Hearts long term if residents get antsy about fan behaviour etc...

There are plenty already immediately behind the Gorgie and fairly close to the other stands. Won't change anything from our point of view 

3 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Think it was bought for £1.75 million.  Probably £2.5 -£3 million now.

Nice wee investment for James Anderson perhaps?

1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

There are plenty already immediately behind the Gorgie and fairly close to the other stands. Won't change anything from our point of view 

More complaints ( likely from better off people ) to councillors. Attitudes and regulations change over time. I think it’s a risk that will need managed. 

12 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Nice wee investment for James Anderson perhaps?

Could be, now if he were to buy it and in time build us a training ground then we could pay him the £500k we currently spend on Riccarton each year until it’s paid off 🤷🏻‍♂️

21 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Understand what your saying but I think Big Hearts have an office in main stand they use and given that we have a whole floor in the new stand unused, what does moving the nursery out achieve other than give more unused space and expense? 

I was thinking more in terms of  giving the Benefactors a reason to part with their money and future Stadium extension, should the need arise, as the school wings aren't covered by the Category B listing.
Not purchasing it would be a bit short sighted, imho.

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Aye but if we owned the pitches and the Brewery etc... That would be a huge area. Riccarton isn't just all Hearts. 

But we don’t......and are ever unlikely to.

The school is of no real use to us unless they make it a car park.

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Well apparently the Listed Part of the School is only one building. 

I think we own the pitches already, unsure on that, can someone confirm? 

And I would imagine that at some point in the future that brewery will close its doors and sell up. 

But you're correct. It's pipedream stuff and never likely to happen. 

Mrs B has just made herself a few extra sponduliks from her Investment in a Linlithgow Tech Company Calnex Solutions which is being floated on the Stock Exchange first Scottish Company in two years to be floated. She could use the extra dosh and build a Hearts Budget:whistling:  Hotel on site. just a thought.

6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

And I would imagine that at some point in the future that brewery will close its doors and sell up. 

We don’t own the pitches 

Anything but student accommodation. Don't want the tone of the area being lowered.

Would be good for a wee community pitch like St Mirren and others have. 11-a-side 4G pitch with 7's pitches going across. Nice wee earner for the club and giving something back to the community. A hotel would be alright I guess but would need to be well advertised as it's a bit out the way. 

Speaking of community pitches, what's the deal with the pitch behind the Wheatfield? Could that not be revamped in time? Be good to have a pitch of sorts there, with maybe a small stand or something for the Under 19's and Reserves to play matches on. All a pipe dream at the moment, just wondered if it's possible.

We must be interested, if only to stop H1b5 buying it...

But seriously, interest rates being what they are this would be a great time to buy an adjoining property, my only beef about Tynecastle is the width of the pitch, which is too narrow for the modern game imo. Buying the school wouldn't solve that problem but it could be a step along the way. Do we own the  training pitch at the back of the Wheatfield? 

A_A wehatethehibs
40 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I assume you mean no practical use on match days, rather than no “real use”. Being able to control what gets put there would be massively massively useful in terms of the long term future of Tynecastle. 

Jambo, Goodbye

Whoever buys it might be convinced to sell a wee strip to us immediately behind the Roseburn. If we can be involved as a contributor maybe we can help a potential purchaser out. Wouldn't need much space if we were to extend the stand outwards a little. 

Could be a more affordable strategy?

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I assume you mean no practical use on match days, rather than no “real use”. Being able to control what gets put there would be massively massively useful in terms of the long term future of Tynecastle. 

Match days or non match days.

We just have any use for it for anything other than a car park. 

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

2-3 years of future FOH contributions and it's ours.

This sort of thing is exactly what future FOH contributions should be for - accepting that they are providing cashflow for the club right now and after that will be used to finish off the new stand.

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Be interesting to see who wants a house right next door to a football stadium, if it does go for housing. 

Unlikely to go for mortgageable housing Dave. A friend of mine is a property sourcer in Grimsby and he avoids the area near Blundell Park as it is very difficult to get a mortgage in the nearby streets due to the close proximity of the ground. The old school is much closer than some of the streets he mentioned. Bear in mind GTFC play to crowds around the 5k mark.

1 minute ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Unlikely to go for mortgageable housing Dave. A friend of mine is a property sourcer in Grimsby and he avoids the area near Blundell Park as it is very difficult to get a mortgage in the nearby streets due to the close proximity of the ground. The old school is much closer than some of the streets he mentioned. Bear in mind GTFC play to crowds around the 5k mark.

Interesting. 

Very much doubt it would be developed for residential property.  As others have said, prospective buyers getting a mortgage would be difficult and insuring even worse.  It is at the away end with visits from the hooligan elements of the vermin and the cheeks.  Better to develop as offices and maybe a car park at ground level.  

If the club buy the land it could be an extended Plaza.  Let the away support enter via Wheatfield.

46 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Very much doubt it would be developed for residential property.  As others have said, prospective buyers getting a mortgage would be difficult and insuring even worse.  It is at the away end with visits from the hooligan elements of the vermin and the cheeks.  Better to develop as offices and maybe a car park at ground level.  

If the club buy the land it could be an extended Plaza.  Let the away support enter via Wheatfield.

Nobody will be building offices in the next couple of years. Few companies I know are looking at downsizing or closing their offices entirely...Covid is driving some big decisions.

I think its imperative that we secure the site. 

I would argue its one the main objectives of the foundation -to preserve our future at Tynecastle. We're at serious risk of being landlocked, if we can secure the old school then IMO we're 1/3 closer to securing our future (the other two coming from the Distilleries pitch and the flats behind the gorgie stand. - Yes there are a lot of complexities to expansion, Health and safety, natural light for residential area etc. but cutting that to one side (as its a necessary obstacle to overcome to preserve Hearts at Tynecastle for generations to come), its so important. 

I want to see Hearts competing and blowing away the competition, but to get to that point we need to take a long term view and very much be building for the future. Part of this is looking at stadium expansion. In a city of over half a million both Hearts and hibs only being able to muster 20k seater stadiums is poor. We draw support not just from the 500k in Edinburgh, but beyond that into fife (370k) midlothian (90k) and the borders (115k). Thats over a million people to draw on and I don't think its unrealistic to look to draw upon a further 0.5-1% (thinking 25-30k)

I would ask that the foundation explore financing options to allow us to acquire the site. Perhaps Mr Anderson might be persuadable to front the cost and be paid back via the foundation? 

I know its a bad climate right now, but do we really want to be kicking ourselves in 3-5 years time ?

Not owning the old school site won’t make a blind bit of difference to us......our future is at Tynecastle as long as we want it to be.

£3m to buy and another couple of million to transform it into even just a car park is money we don’t have.....the cash would be better spent on further improvements within the stadium.

7 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

There all ready is housing next to the ground , not sure if there’s been complaints in the past ?

Hard to complain if the stadium has been there before building/ buying surely!

I wouldn't buy a flat simply for the brewery and bypass, just me!

5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

https://scotlis.ros.gov.uk/property-summary/MID154427/1

Looks like brewery own pitches, this link is to the Title, free to view, hint to all, around 70% of Scottish property extents can be viewed online for free!

15 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Hard to complain if the stadium has been there before building/ buying surely!

I wouldn't buy a flat simply for the brewery and bypass, just me!

That’s how I see it too, stadiums been there a long long time 

Guest ToqueJambo

If we can buy it I'm sure we could make very good use of it. State of the art, inner city 5s football pitches for kids/the community and as an extra training centre for us if we need it? Or our version of this: https://www.redbull.com/au-en/theredbulletin/red-bull-academy-future-of-football

Or a field hospital for our injuries? 

If there's a good proposal, I'd be more than happy to continue FoH payments for something. My goal was saving the club and fan ownership so after that I wasn't sure about continuing with FoH donations.

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

If we can buy it I'm sure we could make very good use of it. State of the art, inner city 5s football pitches for kids/the community and as an extra training centre for us if we need it? Or our version of this: https://www.redbull.com/au-en/theredbulletin/red-bull-academy-future-of-football

Or a field hospital for our injuries? 

If there's a good proposal, I'd be more than happy to continue FoH payments for something. My goal was saving the club and fan ownership so after that I wasn't sure about continuing with FoH donations.

I think in different times it may have been on the agenda. However, I think the board is likely focused on more existential issues at the moment. 

rudi must stay

Would be nice to see another area with five a side pitches. Imagine playing with Tynecastle in the backdrop. As for Hearts, as good as throwing money away in my opinion 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, rudi must stay said:

Would be nice to see another area with five a side pitches. Imagine playing with Tynecastle in the backdrop. As for Hearts, as good as throwing money away in my opinion 

Unless we owned the facility and monetised it?

Agree not really the time for this, but you have to keep planning ahead.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think in different times it may have been on the agenda. However, I think the board is likely focused on more existential issues at the moment. 

Bigger priorities right now for sure.

41 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Not owning the old school site won’t make a blind bit of difference to us......our future is at Tynecastle as long as we want it to be.

£3m to buy and another couple of million to transform it into even just a car park is money we don’t have.....the cash would be better spent on further improvements within the stadium.

When we need to redevelop the other three stands, it will give us more scope. It will also present us with an opportunity use the land to increase our turnover depending on what we did with it. Don’t understand why you are being so short-sighted on this topic and just repeating the same thing post after post. 

rudi must stay
9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Unless we owned the facility and monetised it?

Agree not really the time for this, but you have to keep planning ahead.

Don't think we're in a position to do that just now. Would be nice if Hearts chipped in and helped the community though with new facilities. Maybe one day but that would come with major success in the league and in Europe I'd think 

You get the feeling this is something the club might be interested in. I think one of the benefactors might see the potential in having land attached to the stadium. We will see I suppose.

42 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

When we need to redevelop the other three stands, it will give us more scope. It will also present us with an opportunity use the land to increase our turnover depending on what we did with it. Don’t understand why you are being so short-sighted on this topic and just repeating the same thing post after post. 

Not being short-sighted at all. 

We would be spending a huge chunk of money on something we don’t have any real use for. We don’t need anymore scope.....we simply build on the footprint of the old ones. We don’t need anything bigger of fancier.

We moan about the club wasting money and some are trying to justify chucking our cash at this. Makes no sense whatsoever.

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Not being short-sighted at all. 

We would be spending a huge chunk of money on something we don’t have any real use for. We don’t need anymore scope.....we simply build on the footprint of the old ones. We don’t need anything bigger of fancier.

We moan about the club wasting money and some are trying to justify chucking our cash at this. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I don’t moan about the club wasting money. Certainly not on infrastructure anyway. All the money spent on improving our infrastructure so far has gone towards us more than doubling our turnover. You claim to not be short sighted, then you say we don’t need anymore scope. Just makes you look short sighted tbh.

scott herbertson
3 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Wimbledon Grounds exterior, computer generated image intended for illustrative purposes only, ©Galliard Homes.

The new Wimbledon Stadium - that's flats on the front -

IA lot depends on the property market  - I don't think there will be many new developments planned for a few years as money for mortgages is going to be tight.

This land will be worth 3-5 million minimum alone. To use it as anything worthwhile double/treble that.  Not a hope in hell we have the cash for that and even if a benefactor bought the land were is the rest coming from? Doubt we'd be scraping together every £20 to decorate a new room a month if that was an option of even likely.

The property has been empty for ten years now - the work involved must be pretty expensive to bring it back to standard for the listed parts.

In terms of use - Student Flats/Flats all day long. Refurbish/use facade required for some flats then stick up a few blocks of new builds in the remaining land. There is literally thousands of homes within the same footprint of the stadium already - all perfectly mortgageable and insurable. The value in that land is as flats/student flats and the price will reflect that so even if we did have cash sitting we'd be priced out the market or massively overpay.

We've got what we need in terms of land, future planning etc. and landlocking isn't an issue at least now the old stand is gone and we have a new shiny one.

At a push they might stick a few shops on the ground floor to qualify mixed planning usage boxes or similar.

No reason why we couldn't buy a small chunk of the land for potential expansion of the Roseburn in years to come.

And by the way, it's a ****ing distillery, not a brewery!

20 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

This land will be worth 3-5 million minimum alone. To use it as anything worthwhile double/treble that.  Not a hope in hell we have the cash for that and even if a benefactor bought the land were is the rest coming from? Doubt we'd be scraping together every £20 to decorate a new room a month if that was an option of even likely.

The property has been empty for ten years now - the work involved must be pretty expensive to bring it back to standard for the listed parts.

In terms of use - Student Flats/Flats all day long. Refurbish/use facade required for some flats then stick up a few blocks of new builds in the remaining land. There is literally thousands of homes within the same footprint of the stadium already - all perfectly mortgageable and insurable. The value in that land is as flats/student flats and the price will reflect that so even if we did have cash sitting we'd be priced out the market or massively overpay.

We've got what we need in terms of land, future planning etc. and landlocking isn't an issue at least now the old stand is gone and we have a new shiny one.

At a push they might stick a few shops on the ground floor to qualify mixed planning usage boxes or similar.

We’ve just spent £20m on a stand and other stadium developments. We won’t have any debt from that very soon. I’m pretty sure we could do the same again if we had benefactor assistance, and we used it to improve our infrastructure further. 

Ricardo Quaresma

If we don't buy it, we sign Tynecastle's death warrant

Build on the same footprint? WHAT?

That land must be for stadium expansion

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL?