TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

husref musemic
32 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

its got out of control, its the same in Glasgow. I would love to know what makes them so attractive or lucrative for developers as surely to have so many put up can mean it brings a good amount int.

£800 a month for every rabbit hutch they can squeeze in.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Marty-man said:

Who in their right mind would want to pay for digs, right next to the away end, with all the mouth-breathers from Ibrox and Parkhead, knocking back buckfast and pi$$ing in the streets?

Although, looking at it from a purely Jambo-centric point of view ... potential cluster of new fans??

Tbh, there's student accommodation on the site of what was the Bush Park at the Bridge of Doom. I'd imagine that's just as bad.

jamboinglasgow
21 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

In Edinburgh it's the Festival that makes it so appealing. Students are away home and room rates are through the roof! 

That makes sense, though do wish the council could look to limit them. Saw another is at Murieton Crescent, so 200m away from this one.

That's shite.

No modern H&S concerns about being directly next to a couple of big ethanol tanks then? It was a planning permission hurdle as part of the new stand build.

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

its got out of control, its the same in Glasgow. I would love to know what makes them so attractive or lucrative for developers as surely to have so many put up can mean it brings a good amount int.

Rental per sq. meter

My mate's a builder and, according to him, the developers get big grants if the flats are student accomodation.

The dodgy bit is that they only have to remain student accomodation for 5 or 10 years, then the developer sells the flats off at the market rate having already pocketed a big grant when they were built.

Fxxx the SPFL
8 minutes ago, kila said:

That's shite.

No modern H&S concerns about being directly next to a couple of big ethanol tanks then? It was a planning permission hurdle as part of the new stand build.

possibly the owners are prepared to pay to have the ethanol tanks problem resolved

Might attract us some new supporters. But I wish the club could have bought it, is it confirmed that we can’t do anything?

cc James Anderson 😂

12 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

My mate's a builder and, according to him, the developers get big grants if the flats are student accomodation.

The dodgy bit is that they only have to remain student accomodation for 5 or 10 years, then the developer sells the flats off at the market rate having already pocketed a big grant when they were built.

I do a wee bit of work for the company behind this application.

The appeal of building student accommodation is there is no risk as the investors back the project financially and at the end of the contract the job is signed off and the money banked.

No trying to sell apartments and snagging lists the length of your arm.

There will be no flats to sell off as they will all be en suite bedrooms in pods which share a kitchen and common room.

The Treasurer

Cheap to build, cheap to run, expensive to rent 

Mr Brightside

Does the applicant own the land? I remember it being up for sale don’t recall seeing anything confirming it was sold. Looks like the applicant could be a SPV set up to see if they get planning consent for student flats and then try and buy the land knowing that they can build the student flats.

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

https://gorgiedalrycc.org.uk/2021/02/24/planning-update-proposal-of-application-notice-for-former-tynecastle-high-school-mcleod-street/

The owners of the property are submitting a planning application to turn it into student accomdation. This would have implications of future development of Tynecastle.

Any future development would be behind the Wheatfield stand surely?

9 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Does the applicant own the land? I remember it being up for sale don’t recall seeing anything confirming it was sold. Looks like the applicant could be a SPV set up to see if they get planning consent for student flats and then try and buy the land knowing that they can build the student flats.

That's what tends to happen. Missive agreed with suspensive conditions, in this case sale subject to planning. 

Mr Brightside
4 minutes ago, SkabalaJam said:

That's what tends to happen. Missive agreed with suspensive conditions, in this case sale subject to planning. 

Yeah, looks that way will be interesting to see if it gets approved.

From Hearts point of view it would be good if it gets rejected for residential purposes and we could pick up the land for future use.

3 hours ago, kila said:

That's shite.

Maybe a numbers game, 20,000 v 200.

5 hours ago, Fraggle said:

Sounds like they want to keep the facade at some parts then knock the rest down and build modern design flats within the grounds. Surprised this would be allowed to happen with the issues at the distillery!? 

No Chance this will go ahead, the main reason NBD purchased the land in the first place was to stop house builders getting there hands on it.

Houses would have far too many implications for the distillery re regulations etc, ironic considering they were next door to a school for 100 years.

5 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

possibly the owners are prepared to pay to have the ethanol tanks problem resolved

The Distillery ain’t going nowhere, constantly investing in the plant, been there since 1885, will be there long after we are gone.

queensferryjambo

Bet the developers are ecstatic Hearts were made to shell out £100K (correct me if I am wrong on costs) to build a protective wall between the distillery and Tynecastle. Sure the wall extends down there as well. This was thanks to Edinburgh council insisting upon it to be built for us to get planning permission approved for new main stand.

I am sure Ann Budge referred to it as the Berlin Wall at one meeting.

queensferryjambo
3 hours ago, jbee647 said:

No Chance this will go ahead, the main reason NBD purchased the land in the first place was to stop house builders getting there hands on it.

Houses would have far too many implications for the distillery re regulations etc, ironic considering they were next door to a school for 100 years.

They have just sold the land though so are obviously not concerned about what happens to it.

Going back to the point I just made - Hearts were made to pay for new reinforced wall costs, NBD refused to pay a penny towards it as they didn't need to.

I am presuming any developers will have to suck up any Health & Safety costs as Hearts had to.

If any costs at all, as mentioned before Hearts paid for the new wall already. 

Mr Brightside
1 hour ago, queensferryjambo said:

They have just sold the land though so are obviously not concerned about what happens to it.

Going back to the point I just made - Hearts were made to pay for new reinforced wall costs, NBD refused to pay a penny towards it as they didn't need to.

I am presuming any developers will have to suck up any Health & Safety costs as Hearts had to.

If any costs at all, as mentioned before Hearts paid for the new wall already. 

Don’t think the land has been sold, it is up for sale. This is someone trying to find out if they can develop the land for student flats prior to buying the land.

They might find the ball from one of Damour’s rare shots on goal when the joiners go in to start renovating. 

Just look for a broken windae, it’s in there. 

::troll:: 

11 hours ago, Marty-man said:

Who in their right mind would want to pay for digs, right next to the away end, with all the mouth-breathers from Ibrox and Parkhead, knocking back buckfast and pi$$ing in the streets?

Although, looking at it from a purely Jambo-centric point of view ... potential cluster of new fans??

Zero chance.  It tends to be mainly Chinese students nowadays and they have no interest. 

It sickens me seeing Edinburgh continually churning out big cheap tacky student housing.

I may start getting all Greta Thunberg about it all.

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

They might find the ball from one of Damour’s rare shots on goal when the joiners go in to start renovating. 

Just look for a broken windae, it’s in there. 

::troll:: 

They could maybe find Damour while they are at it. 

I was led to believe that residential developments needed t provide parking spaces whereas this is not required for student accommodation. Makes sense for developers to go for student accommodation as they will not need to sacrifice space for parking.

willie wallace

Too many student flats as it is but anything they put there will be a massive improvement.

That site is one of the saddest looking places going.

We have well in excess of 20,000 fans. I would like to think that its possible for us to swamp them with complaints alongside the club to make this impossible to achieve?

I was also under the impression the land had went up for sale?

1 minute ago, OTT said:

We have well in excess of 20,000 fans. I would like to think that its possible for us to swamp them with complaints alongside the club to make this impossible to achieve?

I was also under the impression the land had went up for sale?

Unless you are a nearby resident what’s the grounds to complain/object?

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Unless you are a nearby resident what’s the grounds to complain/object?

https://iainroberts.mycouncillor.org.uk/2013/02/07/which-objections-can-be-taken-into-account-in-a-planning-application/

Had a look through these and I think there are a fair few arguments that could be used. More along the lines of throwing enough shite at the wall that it puts off the council from allowing it to proceed. An interesting one is: 'loss of value to your property (the Council cannot reject a planning application on the grounds that it will reduce the value of your house if built).' - I think the club might be able to argue that it would impede future stadium expansion thereby reducing the value of the stadium as the land becomes essentially worthless if further stadium expansion cannot be achieved with Edinburgh marked to grow substantially by 2030. 

Local residents/ parents could raise concerns about student life operating so close to their kids school - alcohol abuse from parties etc. Effect on listed buildings too. Folks in the flats opposite might lose view from that direction depending on height. 

Point is, there is a huge basis to complain on as the list shown suggests. They don't need to iron clad, just volume enough that the council are swayed sufficiently to reject. 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

https://iainroberts.mycouncillor.org.uk/2013/02/07/which-objections-can-be-taken-into-account-in-a-planning-application/

Had a look through these and I think there are a fair few arguments that could be used. More along the lines of throwing enough shite at the wall that it puts off the council from allowing it to proceed. An interesting one is: 'loss of value to your property (the Council cannot reject a planning application on the grounds that it will reduce the value of your house if built).' - I think the club might be able to argue that it would impede future stadium expansion thereby reducing the value of the stadium as the land becomes essentially worthless if further stadium expansion cannot be achieved with Edinburgh marked to grow substantially by 2030. 

Local residents/ parents could raise concerns about student life operating so close to their kids school - alcohol abuse from parties etc. Effect on listed buildings too. Folks in the flats opposite might lose view from that direction depending on height. 

Point is, there is a huge basis to complain on as the list shown suggests. They don't need to iron clad, just volume enough that the council are swayed sufficiently to reject. 

Cheers. I wonder what the club’s or Foh’s perspective is. The club seem to have a good relationship with the distillery so hindering any sale might not be well received there. 

Mr Brightside
1 hour ago, OTT said:

The complaints need to be valid in terms of planning guidance. A large volume of objections without valid reason would not be considered in the decision made by the planning officer when they present their recommendation to the the planning committee.

15 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

13 hours ago, Le Chat said:

13 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

I do a wee bit of work for the company behind this application.

The appeal of building student accommodation is there is no risk as the investors back the project financially and at the end of the contract the job is signed off and the money banked.

No trying to sell apartments and snagging lists the length of your arm.

There will be no flats to sell off as they will all be en suite bedrooms in pods which share a kitchen and common room.

I heard similar to Le Chat, but not the bit about a grant. 

They have to remain student accommodation for X years then they can apply for change of use/conversion.

As they are multiple bedrooms with en-suites, (4 or so per pod) with a kitchen and lounge they are easier to convert into a 'family' flat. 

14 hours ago, kila said:

That's shite.

10 hours ago, graygo said:

Maybe a numbers game, 20,000 v 200.

Also it's 200 inside v 20,000 outside. 

Similar reasoning for the school. 

scott herbertson
14 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Would students really want to live there?

My daughter is at Morano House in Glasgow (the one that had the Covid outbreak early on).  Firhilll a few hundred yards away. Students don't have a clue what the area they are going to is like (and don't much care)

Francis Albert

Never really been convinced of the idea that the school site makes sense for expansion of Tynecastle. It would mean a complete rebuilding because I can't see how any of the existing stands could readily be accommodated in an expanded stadium with larger pitch and bigger capacity.

Kidd’s Boots

IIRC Educational Institiues have an obligation, might even be a legal requirement,  to provided 1st year students with suitable accommodation during that period hence the upsurge in building and conversion of any suitable property over the years. Guaranteed income every intake, so if permission is granted, it will be there for a long long time

Glamorgan Jambo

Firstly as one with recent experience of these student blocks via my two daughters they are cheap to build and you can cram folks in.  They charge £150 - £200 a week from what I can make out depending on where they are and what they do and don't offer (mainly en suite toilet and shower)They're far from a bad experience for the kids as normally they are subdivided into blocks between 6 and 10 rooms with common kitchen/dining area (a worktop) and it's a good way for 1st year students to make friends. My two had zero complaints.

I can't think for the life of me why this is a good idea for this site other than it will make a lot of money for the developers. I would have thought that in an area which is dominated by a stadium/venue, a distillery, some residential tenaments and a school Edinburgh City Council could have come up with zoning for something more complementary and more in line with community use.

32 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Never really been convinced of the idea that the school site makes sense for expansion of Tynecastle. It would mean a complete rebuilding because I can't see how any of the existing stands could readily be accommodated in an expanded stadium with larger pitch and bigger capacity.

Both the Wheatfield and Main Stand are pretty short, so not unreasonable or impossible to lengthen both one or even two sectionss.

Obviously this would require knocking down the Roseburn and building a vastly expanded Kop type structure in its place.

1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

Both the Wheatfield and Main Stand are pretty short, so not unreasonable or impossible to lengthen both one or even two sectionss.

Obviously this would require knocking down the Roseburn and building a vastly expanded Kop type structure in its place.

Given the supports at the ends of both stands I doubt it would be practical or cost effective. Looks like it may well be a theoretical issue soon anyway. 

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL?