TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, kingm616 said:

We can’t fill what we have now let alone a bigger ground

That's because the product on the pitch is pretty poor at the moment. If we could get a team together who would actually begin challenging seriously for league and cups attendances would rise. There's also the prospect that within 10 years football could be transformed with European leagues etc which could possibly mean Hearts playing in a much more attractive and competitive league than we are currently. The club has to be ahead of the curve in anticipating these developments.  Like any good business.

2 hours ago, barcajambo said:

The players, directors and office staff have used it as a car park for years paying rent to Diagio.

Maybe they have worked out a way to make it more cost effective by actually owning the land.

That would make it the world's most expensive car park.....:pleased:

Bristol jamboree 10

We must buy the land.We used to own it and sold to council for school.If we get the rest of distillery in the future we can rebuild wheat field and roseburn stands and get pitch back to what is was.I think 30000 is the max allowed due to streets outside

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Probably the most important signing we would make all season.

Without this, we are effectively land-locked.

If we own it, then in the fullness of time we can lengthen the Wheatfield and Main Stand as well as building a bigger Roseburn.

Correct...we can lengthen the pitch by extending the wheatfield and main trusses...in the future surely we want our pitch to be UEFA compliant if we have ambitions for regular european football. Those who also say we cant fill the corners are wrong. The corner pillars get removed and replaced by 2 pillars for each corner, except they get placed at the rear of the stand, not the front. This also requires a longer truss...2 birds, one stone.

If true that we’re looking at the ground , it’s good forward thinking to mitigate against our landlocked status for the future.

A_A wehatethehibs
38 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Hopefully it's indicative of the Distillery giving serious consideration to moving to an out of town site.

They already have an enormous out of town site past Livingston for all of their warehousing... I highly doubt any of the old warehouses on the Gorgie site next to the wheatfield pitch are even in use and they probably need money spent on them to keep them standing (as old as our old main!). They will keep a section to retain the “last distillery in Edinburgh” heritage but it might be scaled back - think a new much larger production site is an inevitability with the global demand for their product continuing to increase. 

CavySlaveJambo
58 minutes ago, kila said:

I think even if we acquired the old school land, we'd still have the problem with the distillery

Been in the paper again about the legionnaires outbreak a few years back, and NBD named and shamed. Maybe their days in a built up residential area are numbered.

NBD still not confirmed as source outbreak,  MacFarlan Smith and others where also named and shamed. 

10 minutes ago, Bristol jamboree 10 said:

We must buy the land.We used to own it and sold to council for school.If we get the rest of distillery in the future we can rebuild wheat field and roseburn stands and get pitch back to what is was.I think 30000 is the max allowed due to streets outside

Hahaha now the New Stand thread has died a death with the pant wetters, this is now the the place for the other stupid posts.

Couple of points:

- It's called the Wheatfield.

- What happens to the road and flats?

Folk posting on here then running back to weird.net posting "they want to buy the school"  "they want to buy the distillery" 

Hackney Hearts
2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

- It's called the Wheatfield.

- What happens to the road and flats?

- That will surely have been predictive text

- What road and flats are affected by what he was suggesting?

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

They already have an enormous out of town site past Livingston for all of their warehousing... I highly doubt any of the old warehouses on the Gorgie site next to the wheatfield pitch are even in use and they probably need money spent on them to keep them standing (as old as our old main!). They will keep a section to retain the “last distillery in Edinburgh” heritage but it might be scaled back - think a new much larger production site is an inevitability with the global demand for their product continuing to increase. 

If there was an opportunity for Hearts and NBD to come to an agreement for the land and the distillery land then it would be brilliant. Like you suggest to have some sort of heritage project would also be a tourist attraction of sorts that could also benefit Hearts.

I think it would be a brilliant thing to do especially if it was a joint venture. It's the sort of project that could see training/development of people which could be beneficial to the community.

33 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

As far I’m led to believe these warehouses are still in use, and full to capacity.

mostly long term warehouses 10 - 12 year spirit being bonded there.

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

If there was an opportunity for Hearts and NBD to come to an agreement for the land and the distillery land then it would be brilliant. Like you suggest to have some sort of heritage project would also be a tourist attraction of sorts that could also benefit Hearts.

I think it would be a brilliant thing to do especially if it was a joint venture. It's the sort of project that could see training/development of people which could be beneficial to the community.

Ultimately NBD is owned by Diageo and a private equity firm so it’s all about the numbers. Demand & market forces will dictate any decision relating to capacity on the supply chain, and it would likely be a decision which would also affect other production sites in Scotland / north of England. 

Psychedelicropcircle

Brenda has invited us to the future Euro league for when the glasgow nomarks can’t gain entrance to the champions league.

hotel nap?

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

As far I’m led to believe these warehouses are still in use, and full to capacity.

mostly long term warehouses 10 - 12 year spirit being bonded there.

Fair enough, you’re better informed than me. Still, they are very old buildings and just have a quick look at google maps to see the scale of their other warehousing site - probably 50x the capacity of those houses, with ample room for expansion and/or development of a huge production site right next door to reduce transport costs. As I say a move is probably inevitable at some point from a commercial perspective, would imagine the gorgie site can’t keep up with the growth in the global demand to get pished. 

15 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Brenda has invited us to the future Euro league for when the glasgow nomarks can’t gain entrance to the champions league.

hotel nap?

Heard a while back that Hearts were planning on opening an Hotel although not where.                           Now we know?

All roads lead to Gorgie
8 minutes ago, jamboman9 said:

Heard a while back that Hearts were planning on opening an Hotel although not where.                           Now we know?

Maybe a sort of Chelsea Village is what we are looking at but let's make sure we keep enough space for expanding the ground at the same time !

Given how poorly our current foray into construction has been managed, and the distraction it has caused, I'd rather we focused our energies fully on the fitba'.

6 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Given how poorly our current foray into construction has been managed, and the distraction it has caused, I'd rather we focused our energies fully on the fitba'.

Yea £12-14 million project completed within 6 months . Initially working round the still being used stand . 2 [?] months over schedule . Absolute disaster

If its true then that is massively positive news for the club. Securing our long term future is really important, as is adding alternative revenue streams.

Fingers crossed

22 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Did you see the article this week about Spurs' ground reconstruction?

5 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Flatten it and create a car park. Hearts must have the worst parking facilities in the wider stadium area in the league, with the possible exception of Hibs and Dundee.

You would be charged £10 per game for parking there, or it isn't really worth it.

4 minutes ago, JAMBONI said:

Maybe its a project that Ann maybe interested in herself.

The OP said the club are rumoured to be buying it, not Ann. 

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

You would be charged £10 per game for parking there, or it isn't really worth it.

Cant believe anyone would be expecting car parking facilities for 10-15k people at an inner-city football stadium anyway. Plenty park and rides about.

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, ray gets bus pass soon said:

I think some are getting a bit ahead of themselves the OP has a low post count not doubting his/her credentials but who is reliable source and would this information be available via City of Edinburgh planning dept.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

If just the purchase of the land, would the planning dept need to know?

Genuine question.

If it is just a negotiation around the purchase there would be no need for any formal involvement of the planning department. Planning applications just relate to plans for development. I could put in a planning application for the distillery without even owning it. It would be pointless but it is technically possible. 

Had Hearts developed up plans for an extension of the ground to include this additional land they could put forward a proposal, but that would just arouse unnecessary speculation at this stage. A land purchase would make perfect sense to accommodate future development fro a strategic planning viewpoint, but as others have pointed out

a) we don’t have the  money and...

b. ) we have a more immediate priority around building a better football team

Footballfirst

If the old school site is available, or will become available in the short to medium term, then I think it would be a good long term investment for the club. 

It could be used just for parking in the short term, but could ultimately be used to expand the stadium, or potentially a hotel development with facilities offering direct access to Roseburn stand. Hearts could even do an Arsenal and facilitate the construction of flats, much to the chagrin of the hobos, who claimed that Tynecastle (school?) was going to be turned into flats.

It's the sort of infrastructure project that FOH could fund once ownership of the club is secured.

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

If the old school site is available, or will become available in the short to medium term, then I think it would be a good long term investment for the club. 

It could be used just for parking in the short term, but could ultimately be used to expand the stadium, or potentially a hotel development with facilities offering direct access to Roseburn stand. Hearts could even do an Arsenal and facilitate the construction of flats, much to the chagrin of the hobos, who claimed that Tynecastle (school?) was going to be turned into flats.

It's the sort of infrastructure project that FOH could fund once ownership of the club is secured.

This, this and this!

6 hours ago, Koolkeith said:

Could turn it into flats or a hotel I guess. Way of making extra income. 

Greenminger already on the blower to the cooncil.

23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

As the King of the dotcount have you any idea of where we could get to capacity wise based on my earlier ideas I.e lengthened stands/rebuilt Wheatfield and a rebuilt Roseburn?

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Fair enough, you’re better informed than me. Still, they are very old buildings and just have a quick look at google maps to see the scale of their other warehousing site - probably 50x the capacity of those houses, with ample room for expansion and/or development of a huge production site right next door to reduce transport costs. As I say a move is probably inevitable at some point from a commercial perspective, would imagine the gorgie site can’t keep up with the growth in the global demand to get pished. 

To be fair mate I worked there for over 20 years and I can remember discussions about moving 30 years ago, they sold warehouses in Slateford and Westfield (Sainsbury) was anticipating a downturn in the markets, only for the Chinese and Russians to go mad for the whisky...

Warehouse space is at a premium, in hindsight I would imagine and I’m guessing there will be a regret of selling off and knocking down the warehouses around Tynecastle as well as Slateford and Westfield 

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

If it is just a negotiation around the purchase there would be no need for any formal involvement of the planning department. Planning applications just relate to plans for development. I could put in a planning application for the distillery without even owning it. It would be pointless but it is technically possible. 

Had Hearts developed up plans for an extension of the ground to include this additional land they could put forward a proposal, but that would just arouse unnecessary speculation at this stage. A land purchase would make perfect sense to accommodate future development fro a strategic planning viewpoint, but as others have pointed out

a) we don’t have the  money and...

b. ) we have a more immediate priority around building a better football team

Just a couple of thoughts: 

a ) Ann has money :) 

b ) Ann is a long-term planner :) 

Edited by Hearts_fan

I'd be very angsty about building flats around the ground. What if the affects the ability to grow the ground if the need arises? Already ****ed on the Gorgie side because of the tenements right? - For arguments sake, pretend the Brewery isn't an issue.

Big Slim Stylee
6 hours ago, Smithee said:

While I get where you're coming from, Joe Hart isn't a city site whose value will likely increase for years to come.

It seems obvious to me that the club are striking while the iron's hot in a few areas just now. But yeah, I'd like to see a better team too 

That's a very mature post and i agree with all of it. I was about to reply to him with a load of sarkiness! :)

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Maybe we could have a vote on deferring paying for the club.

:troll:

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, Hearts_fan said:

Just a couple of thoughts: 

a ) Ann has money :) 

b ) Ann is a long-term planner :) 

Im not sure Ann Budge would have enough spare money for a land purchase, especially given she has so much tied up in us at the moment. In any case it would ultimately be our (FOH) money.

I agree she’s a long term planner and for the avoidance of doubt I would be delighted if there’s a long term plan to do this. I’m just keen on a short term fix of winning a few games first...

2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Im not sure Ann Budge would have enough spare money for a land purchase, especially given she has so much tied up in us at the moment. In any case it would ultimately be our (FOH) money.

I agree she’s a long term planner and for the avoidance of doubt I would be delighted if there’s a long term plan to do this. I’m just keen on a short term fix of winning a few games first...

I quite agree. I just think what if we miss the opportunity to get the land, and it gets built on... it's lost to Hearts forever. It's a difficult balance to strike – that between present and the future priorities.

1 minute ago, Hearts_fan said:

I quite agree. I just think what if we miss the opportunity to get the land, and it gets built on... it's lost to Hearts forever. It's a difficult balance to strike – that between present and the future priorities.

So, we sacrifice being decent on the pitch for a few years in order to build the new stand. Then we extend the period of not being decent on the pitch so as not to lose out on buying nearby land.

At some point we have to recognise that we are a football club and, ultimately, all that really matters happens on the pitch. 

Bristol jamboree 10

Buy the school and wait for distillery to move then you have Roseburn and wheatfield to expand.You cannot do any thing with gorgie stand

3 hours ago, JAMBONI said:

Maybe its a project that Ann maybe interested in herself.

Is this based on anything other than a guess?

I'm not ITK but your post added to the OP and something someone mentioned to me recently (which wasn't very interesting in isolation) made ne wonder if there is some truth in this.

10 minutes ago, Bristol jamboree 10 said:

Buy the school and wait for distillery to move then you have Roseburn and wheatfield to expand.You cannot do any thing with gorgie stand

Why not? 

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, graygo said:

Maybe we could have a vote on deferring paying for the club.

:troll:

I remember during an FOH presentation about the new stand funding, I raised, with Brian Cormack, the possibility of a future purchase of the old school, in a hypothetical scenario, as a future project that could delay the transfer of ownership.

Brian gave me a 100% guarantee that there would be no further delays to the transfer after the new stand was built. I was surprised by that, "never say never".

8 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I remember during an FOH presentation about the new stand funding, I raised, with Brian Cormack, the possibility of a future purchase of the old school, in a hypothetical scenario, as a future project that could delay the transfer of ownership.

Brian gave me a 100% guarantee that there would be no further delays to the transfer after the new stand was built. I was surprised by that, "never say never".

I am not surprised by that: FOH were set up to buy the club, not to fund additional expenditure. The risk would be that donations may tail off if there is no clear timescale of when we will actually own the club, added to being poor on the pitch. 

10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

For me it's exactly what the FoH money should be used for.

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, David McCaig said:

As the King of the dotcount have you any idea of where we could get to capacity wise based on my earlier ideas I.e lengthened stands/rebuilt Wheatfield and a rebuilt Roseburn?

If you wanted to extend the stands, then it would make sense to lengthen the pitch (by 5m) up to the UEFA standard of 105m.  You would also want to extend the surrounds a bit at either end to make it suitable to host full international matches, so you would be looking for something of the order of 15m-20m to make it worthwhile.

The current stands are just over 100m long, so an increase in length would add 15%-20% to the capacity of the Wheatfield and Main stands.  The Roseburn could probably be dismantled and moved back, relatively cheaply, but that wouldn't increase capacity of the stand itself, so it would probably make more sense to rebuild that end from scratch, filling in the corners, looking at two tiers etc.

There is no cheap option to extend, and it wouldn't be completed in a close season.

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

I am not surprised by that: FOH were set up to buy the club, not to fund additional expenditure. The risk would be that donations may tail off if there is no clear timescale of when we will actually own the club, added to being poor on the pitch. 

I was surprised, but pleasantly so, as I don't believe that it is in FOH's long term interest to delay ownership any further.

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

If you wanted to extend the stands, then it would make sense to lengthen the pitch (by 5m) up to the UEFA standard of 105m.  You would also want to extend the surrounds a bit at either end to make it suitable to host full international matches, so you would be looking for something of the order of 15m-20m to make it worthwhile.

The current stands are just over 100m long, so an increase in length would add 15%-20% to the capacity of the Wheatfield and Main stands.  The Roseburn could probably be dismantled and moved back, relatively cheaply, but that wouldn't increase capacity of the stand itself, so it would probably make more sense to rebuild that end from scratch, filling in the corners, looking at two tiers etc.

There is no cheap option to extend, and it wouldn't be completed in a close season.

You have no idea what you are talking about! ???

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL?