TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL?

chrisyboy7

been here before

Whats the chances of so many structural engineers and architects all being on this one thread?

I'd imagine the odds are quite lengthy but here we are.

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• FarmerTweedy

• Led Tasso

• Thomaso

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

FoH money should be used for such projects. 

Once we have about £15m in the bank from it we can look at the stadium or buy hibs. 

It should go to the fans to what we do. 

If we choose the latter option, what would we do with the other £14.9m?

Once we have about £15m in the bank from it we can look at the stadium or buy hibs. 

How can you buy what you already own? 

:greggy:

10 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Leaving aside that it'll never happen anyway, and I very much doubt it would even fit 32k, how could you do it one stand at a time? And how could you leave the school end, sitting waaaay back from the pitch, and how does a 3.5k stand instead of a 10k one only reduce the capacity from 32k to 30k?

I didn’t realise it involved moving the pitch etc. 😂

I was reading the wheatfield as being a new 10k stand. 

I don't think a helipad out front is to much to ask for. That crest thing is taking up way to much room. Get rid I say.

We have a Helipad, we are a real stadium, so there. 

bigsuperslim1874
12 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

100%

While I know in the past we needed extra money etc I just hate the great European nights we have missed by playing at Murrayfield….so many games we drew/lost which could have been won by playing at a raucous Tynie. 😤

Was having a wee google and found a bunch of mock ups someone has made on 3D warehouse which look awesome. Will put them in the spoiler below. 

Spoiler

tynecastle completed with corners 3d model

Tynecastle Stadium, Redeveloped Main Stand | 3D Warehouse

Big fan of that 2nd main stand. Also acutely aware I shouldn't be encouraging talk of filling in the corners :D Doubt thats even close to architecturally sound either but interesting to see what the corners might look like. 

20 minutes ago, been here before said:

Whats the chances of so many structural engineers and architects all being on this one thread?

:vrface:

We should of just made the main stand more bigger only a few years ago 😂 another 8/10 rows would of done the business. How many seats are in the back row from one end to the other about 180? X another 10 rows  another 1.8k onto current capacity reckon 22k would be ideal for us 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

pettigrewsstylist
4 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Not sure why you are firing questions at me....you have clearly missed my point... You are clearly happy to have a very small stadium that we cant grow in therefor always struggle to achieve or even get near our potential.....If this is as good as it gets then fine......Now i know......Some people have ambition and dreams.....some don't and live in a cave,

Wow!

19 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Go back to benches.

Capacity doubles.

I remember lots of leg room.

They could be three inches apart and double as foot rests. That works for me.🙂

2 hours ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Aberdeen brought 7k fans and Rangers had something like 15k fans there which bumps up the average.

Aberdeen brought around 5K in reality however, your point is valid.

4 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Not sure why you are firing questions at me....you have clearly missed my point... You are clearly happy to have a very small stadium that we cant grow in therefor always struggle to achieve or even get near our potential.....If this is as good as it gets then fine......Now i know......Some people have ambition and dreams.....some don't and live in a cave,

Post of the year. For all the wrong reasons 🤣🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

We should of just made the main stand more bigger only a few years ago 😂 another 8/10 rows would of done the business. How many seats are in the back row from one end to the other about 180? X another 10 rows  another 1.8k onto current capacity reckon 22k would be ideal for us 

It would have been. A bloody shame the main stand fell short in that regard. 

jamboinglasgow

I agree with you about FoH, its an extra source of income that many clubs dont have which can be ideal for investment in the club or infrastructure. I understand people arguing for it to be used to buy players but if the club is doing its job in recruiting and selling players on for much more while running in budget then its not really needed. 

As for Tynecastle, I agree with others there is no need to expand at the moment, we are not seeing more demand than seats, we have plenty of space for hospitality (I mean we have a whole floor in the new Stand which is a massive space still to be used.) But I would like the club to have long term plans drawing up if that was to change. I do think we have probably expanded Tynecastle as far as we can as we are locked in around us. The distillery is not going to move, the school is going to be turned into Student accomdation. They will never knock down the tenement buildings around the stadium. If things go really well and the club really grows in size and fanbase, we may face a tough decision, stay at  20,000 capacity or move out of Gorgie to build a new stadium.

Das Viertel Hearts
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Im not an engineer either but I have studied structural mechanics and architecture among other things. I'd imagine if we were to replace the floodlight trusses with a vertical pilaster or column then it would fall right in the middle of a corner stand obstructing views. If we wanted to fill in the corners without removing the roof, I'd imagine we would have to cantilever the existing structure or replace it.

I'm not an engineer either so I believe a brand new hard spaghetti and marzipan stand would be the way to go.  And what is the actual purpose of the roofs anyway?

2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

I assume bought during the Pieman era?

As part of “modernising the Clubs image” he changed the Club crest and changed Tynecastle to “Stadium” from “Park”! 😏

That's correct, and Ann Budge changed it back again.

5 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Does anyone on this forum know or roughly know what can be achieved with our wonderful stadium. The club will know doubt grow steadily but can the stadium keep up......I love tyncastle never want to leave.....But can we make it bigger or not.....Currently just over 20k capacity....But in reality its not is it......The segregation needed is around a 600 seat loss..... along with various other parts of the ground that seem to be closed off at some games. 

The club have came so far and the new stand is an unbelievable achievement indeed even though i'm sure we all wish it was a few thousand bigger. I have since learned that it was the amazing Edinburgh council planning department that held it to the 7200 approx capacity....i could be wrong though.

a steady successful Hearts will only lead to a rise in demand for both home and away fans......There is so much potential income to be made long term....But is it possible to do so?

Fire away.........

Whoever taught you spelling and grammar is spinning in their grave ......

Was there talk of the Wheatfield only having a shelf life of 30 years or am I dreaming that. (What actually is it that dictates the shelf

life? Looks in decent shape to me) If that could be rebuilt further back to widen pitch (back to 68m) and add another 3/4K then I think that would cater for demand in the mid term (especially if we restrict Celtic and rangers to 1 or 2 sections of the school end .

27 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

While I know in the past we needed extra money etc I just hate the great European nights we have missed by playing at Murrayfield….so many games we drew/lost which could have been won by playing at a raucous Tynie. 😤

Capacity for now looks about just right  

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Is it not the case that roof trusses are tied into the floodlight trusses?

I don't know if this is correct but I'm guessing the roof trustees are in tension, holding the roof structure but the actual load of the roof truss is transferred through the floodlight trusses into compression. 

So if we wanted to expand, we would need to change the entire roof structure? Which would cost tens of millions. 

I'm not entirely sure of all the details re tension, etc, but in general you're correct, the roof trusses support the actual roofs of the stands, and the trusses are themselves supported by the corner towers which also hold the floodlights. If you want to remove or relocate the corner towers, it's a huge job. Maybe "only" a few million rather than tens of them, if we're lucky! 

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Maybe none, but good fun to speculate nonetheless.

So let’s move the Ethanol tanks and expand the Wheatfield with FoH picking up the tab.

It's perfect. Best ground in Scotland when full by a country mile. Just listen to how impressed the players who come up from England are. Our focus should simply be on filling it for all games.

Agree with others, I want us to play all our European ties at Tynie, especially if we get one of the big boys. We'd have a chance of enjoying an edge at Tynie that we simply wouldn't get at Murrayfield.

Smith's right boot
1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

If we choose the latter option, what would we do with the other £14.9m?

:HeartsManspotrun:

1 hour ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Correct , murrayfield is shite for football , especially euro ties....

Byyy The Light

Get if filled consistently. Get safe standing in. Get a massive fans bar in Gorgie suite. Fit out every space to make it as fan friendly and useful as possible. Bring back firework Phil’s fire machine hingwys.

In short, make it an experience like no other in Scottish football. Don’t need a bigger stadium just now. Plenty more cost effective ways to make more money short and medium term.

Most importantly, get a team on the park that will destroy teams every week like we did on Saturday.

16 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Does anyone on this forum know or roughly know what can be achieved with our wonderful stadium. The club will know doubt grow steadily but can the stadium keep up......I love tyncastle never want to leave.....But can we make it bigger or not.....Currently just over 20k capacity....But in reality its not is it......The segregation needed is around a 600 seat loss..... along with various other parts of the ground that seem to be closed off at some games. 

The club have came so far and the new stand is an unbelievable achievement indeed even though i'm sure we all wish it was a few thousand bigger. I have since learned that it was the amazing Edinburgh council planning department that held it to the 7200 approx capacity....i could be wrong though.

a steady successful Hearts will only lead to a rise in demand for both home and away fans......There is so much potential income to be made long term....But is it possible to do so?

Fire away.........

Our home attendance took a boost when the Russian waltzed into town. Previously our capacity was very seldom challenged and our present limit is about right, barring any "new era" of success.

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread..... I knew it would be popular as it would be good to know if the club does have any options available for an increase in capacity.......I guess maybe the club hold all the answers...

5 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Our home attendance took a boost when the Russian waltzed into town. Previously our capacity was very seldom challenged and our present limit is about right, barring any "new era" of success.

My i point out that just under 21k applied for a season ticket that year in 2005

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Whoever taught you spelling and grammar is spinning in their grave ......

Couldn't find my glasses lol....

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

100%

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

100%

Tyncastle is our home and should remain so.    It will hopefully hold a little more fans one day watching a successful Hearts team.

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I agree with you about FoH, its an extra source of income that many clubs dont have which can be ideal for investment in the club or infrastructure. I understand people arguing for it to be used to buy players but if the club is doing its job in recruiting and selling players on for much more while running in budget then its not really needed. 

As for Tynecastle, I agree with others there is no need to expand at the moment, we are not seeing more demand than seats, we have plenty of space for hospitality (I mean we have a whole floor in the new Stand which is a massive space still to be used.) But I would like the club to have long term plans drawing up if that was to change. I do think we have probably expanded Tynecastle as far as we can as we are locked in around us. The distillery is not going to move, the school is going to be turned into Student accomdation. They will never knock down the tenement buildings around the stadium. If things go really well and the club really grows in size and fanbase, we may face a tough decision, stay at  20,000 capacity or move out of Gorgie to build a new stadium.

More money for the player budget isn't really needed, said no football club, ever.

Personally I don't get the fascination with ringfencing this money for infrastructure. We're a football club, why wouldn't we spend it on football players, or just add it to the general budget?

8 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

My i point out that just under 21k applied for a season ticket that year in 2005

Glory hunters. Where are they now? We'll never see sustained capacity crowds but we will see crowds boosted to capacity every decent season.

1 hour ago, damo said:

Was there talk of the Wheatfield only having a shelf life of 30 years or am I dreaming that. (What actually is it that dictates the shelf

life? Looks in decent shape to me) If that could be rebuilt further back to widen pitch (back to 68m) and add another 3/4K then I think that would cater for demand in the mid term (especially if we restrict Celtic and rangers to 1 or 2 sections of the school end .

The main structure of the Wheatfield ie. steel and concrete, will last for another 50 years at least.

What will need replaced through time is the seats, plumbing fixtures, decoration, electrical wiring, etc.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

More money for the player budget isn't really needed, said no football club, ever.

Personally I don't get the fascination with ringfencing this money for infrastructure. We're a football club, why wouldn't we spend it on football players, or just add it to the general budget?

I've come round to this way of thinking after initially being against it for reasons I can't remember. If we need an extra 500K for example to tie down Woodburn, Cochrane and Taylor Moore this season, or bring in someone like Ryan Gauld (if he wants to play in a proper league again) to replace say Woodburn next year that would be a great use of the money (and a great potential investment). I don't think we should advertise this though. If agents get a sniff there's more money lying around they ask former money.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Glory hunters. Where are they now? We'll never see sustained capacity crowds but we will see crowds boosted to capacity every decent season.

WTAF......This happens to every club......If things are really good, more people want to watch......We almost won the league and if the banking crisis had never happened who knows where we would be.....If the club is run properly and to a high standard we will grow......its that simple.....

1 minute ago, chrisyboy7 said:

WTAF......This happens to every club......If things are really good, more people want to watch......We almost won the league and if the banking crisis had never happened who knows where we would be.....If the club is run properly and to a high standard we will grow......its that simple.....

That's why they're known as glory hunters, fair-weather fans... whatever you like. Every club as you say has supporters who only want to experience the good times. You can't spend millions on a stadium just in case they decide to turn up though.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

That's why they're known as glory hunters, fair-weather fans... whatever you like. Every club as you say has supporters who only want to experience the good times.

It really doesnt matter as this is normal.....nut you can see already that the club is doing things better and with the football being better the place will be sold out soon for every home game.....The people that where there on Sat will all go to the next game and a few more on top.....Its a great position to be in.......The club has bee poor and in decline for 5ish years.....Yet still managed good crowds......The income the club has lost over the years due to limited capacity is scary. 

The demand for tickets only needs to rise by 10% and the ground is too small.....This is for category B games only. It already is to small for A games...

JimboJambo1874
6 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Fire away.........

Catch 22. We have to ambitious. At the same time we have to realistic and cautious with spending.  Perhaps a minor capacity increase in tandem with improving existing facilities overall. I don't think there is any call to add thousands of extra seats quite yet. Hearing myself say that sounds a bit defeatist. Really torn. In my dreams we've got 30,000+ full most of the time. The problem is, in the real world, even if you add 2,000 extra seats, are we seriously going to fill the stadium against Ross County or St Mirren? What budget is realistically available? I hate to overstretch only to see empty seats week in, week out. Improvements to existing facilities would be great however. 

1 minute ago, JimboJambo1874 said:

Catch 22. We have to ambitious. At the same time we have to realistic and cautious with spending.  Perhaps a minor capacity increase in tandem with improving existing facilities overall. I don't think there is any call to add thousands of extra seats quite yet. Hearing myself say that sounds a bit defeatist. Really torn. In my dreams we've got 30,000+ full most of the time. The problem is, in the real world, even if you add 2,000 extra seats, are we seriously going to fill the stadium against Ross County or St Mirren? What budget is realistically available? I hate to overstretch only to see empty seats week in, week out. Improvements to existing facilities would be great however. 

I agree with you but the question is can we grow the ground if required....and trust me it will be too small quicker than you think......Maybe the club could tell is what's possible..

Just now, chrisyboy7 said:

The demand for tickets only needs to rise by 10% and the ground is too small.....This is for category B games only. It already is to small for A games...

We'll always have that demand in good seasons. The problem is the 2-3 meh or poor seasons we inevitably have in a typical 5 year period. There's also an argument that having a capacity like we have now encourages ST sales. A bigger stadium might see more people switch to being walk-ins if they know there's always likely to be space.

JimboJambo1874
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's perfect. Best ground in Scotland when full by a country mile. Just listen to how impressed the players who come up from England are. Our focus should simply be on filling it for all games.

Agree with others, I want us to play all our European ties at Tynie, especially if we get one of the big boys. We'd have a chance of enjoying an edge at Tynie that we simply wouldn't get at Murrayfield.

Agree. Murrayfield was a means to an end because of the circumstances at the time. It's far from ideal and I think any return should be avoided. Which brings us back to increasing capacity. It's a gamble and, yes it would be great for the bigger games, but I'd be concerned for all other matches. Have you watched Birmingham City home games on tv? Big city, but St Andrews is half empty most of the time.

1 minute ago, JimboJambo1874 said:

Agree. Murrayfield was a means to an end because of the circumstances at the time. It's far from ideal and I think any return should be avoided. Which brings us back to increasing capacity. It's a gamble and, yes it would be great for the bigger games, but I'd be concerned for all other matches. Have you watched Birmingham City home games on tv? Big city, but St Andrews is half empty most of the time.

Usually everyone who wants a ticket can get a ticket for Tynecastle for big games, certainly regulars can. A night like Bayern Munich would have been totally different at Murrayfield. These nights are the reward for people who go week in week out.