Jump to content

John souttar


William H. Bonney

Recommended Posts

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:


I don’t think he’ll stay either. We should look to sell him in January because he’ll mentally shut off after then anyway. I don’t blame Souttar for wanting to earn more money down south. 


Yep. The one thing I think soapy will do to help out the club, is refrain from signing a pre contract until after the jan window is shut, to allow Hearts the  full chance to get a fee even if it ends up deadline day. If we can get £500k for Kyle Lafferty I think we can get at least £1m for soapy. Middlesbrough paid that for Uche ffs. 

 

The way he will see it is, that’s when he can give the club the chance to get some money to replace him. And if we don’t sell, he will then sign a pre contract in February and he will be guilt free in doing so because he gave the club a chance to sell him. I’m sure if he went on a free he would look to put a sell on in, but a sell on isn’t much use IMO, Paterson done that and what did we get for him, £100k or something. Sell ons are not guarantees of money, hence the sale in January looks the best option for all parties as long as there’s half decent money on the table.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Smith's right boot

    146

  • kingantti1874

    53

  • Bongo 1874

    50

  • Pasquale for King

    39

Des Lynam
6 minutes ago, Pap said:

So the new poster with the low post count - Psychicjambo, was in part telling the truth?

 

 


It’s hardly mystic Meg stuff suggesting Souttar might leave in January. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:


It’s hardly mystic Meg stuff suggesting Souttar might leave in January. 

 

He also got the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Des Lynam
1 minute ago, Pap said:

 

He also got the team.


What Stoke? where his brother plays? Let’s see where he ends up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
gordiegords

If he goes in Jan I’d be tempted to put harring in to centre half, can’t carry the ball as well but can be dominating enough to see us through, if we cant find another entire half that is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:


What Stoke? where his brother plays? Let’s see where he ends up. 

 

It doesnt matter where he ends up.

 

The point is that what the poster heard was in part correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Absolute Scenes

Souttar leaving is heart wrenching, not going to lie - havent loved a centre back this much since Pressley and Zal. However, it shows how far we have come, and how well Neilson and Savage have recruited that we have potentially a replacement in Moore (i'm sure a deal could be done to get him perm). Even putting Smith in Centre back, allowing Moore as wingback. Its good we have options and will no doubt be looking at more centre backs for Jan.

 

In an ideal world he would have signed a 1 year extension, just so we could get a fee. Obviously its more complex than i thought than simply signing a dotted line, but hey ho

Link to post
Share on other sites
Absolute Scenes
9 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

If he goes in Jan I’d be tempted to put harring in to centre half, can’t carry the ball as well but can be dominating enough to see us through, if we cant find another entire half that is. 

I totally forgot about Haring! Just shows you how strong the squad is that one of ur best players a few years back hasnt had a sniff. Very good option, as is Smith at centre back if he doesnt have the legs for LB anymore

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fozzyonthefence
32 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agreed, better to get a nominal amount, £250-500k, plus a sell-on clause (which will probably be worthless)  for him in January than nothing in the summer. We should be able to find a loan defender to cover at the back for four or five months until next summer. 
Given his injury record and age good luck to him if he is offered a long term deal on two to three times what we could pay him. Hopefully it’s not either of the OF that sign him though. 


I disagree.  If it’s only £250k - £500k we should keep him til the end of the season.  Having Souttar in the team compared to not being in the team could be there difference between winning the cup and not winning the cup / getting knocked out early or finishing 3rd in the league and a few million for playing in the group stages of the Europe Conferrnce or whichever one of the two diddy cups it is (still a potential big earner for us).

 

It is frustrating as hell though that we never seem to be able to get our young players / sellable assets tied down on long deals when other clubs manage to do this.  This needs to be addressed, can’t blame Souttar at all if he doesn’t want to extend his contract with us, especially given his injury history.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Des Lynam
17 minutes ago, Pap said:

 

It doesnt matter where he ends up.

 

The point is that what the poster heard was in part correct.


It’s fairly obvious Souttar is leaving. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Des Lynam
7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:


I disagree.  If it’s only £250k - £500k we should keep him til the end of the season.  Having Souttar in the team compared to not being in the team could be there difference between winning the cup and not winning the cup / getting knocked out early or finishing 3rd in the league and a few million for playing in the group stages of the Europe Conferrnce or whichever one of the two diddy cups it is (still a potential big earner for us).

 

It is frustrating as hell though that we never seem to be able to get our young players / sellable assets tied down on long deals when other clubs manage to do this.  This needs to be addressed, can’t blame Souttar at all if he doesn’t want to extend his contract with us, especially given his injury history.


When should the club have tied Souttar down to a longer contract? If we had and he hadn’t made a recovery folk would be on here moaning we are handing out long contracts to injury prone players. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
King prawn

From a fan’s perspective I’d be gutted if he left and you could write things like “no loyalty” etc and I wouldn’t blame anyone for doing so.

 

From his perspective, after all his injuries and football being a relatively short career, I can see why he would want to go to England and earn 5 times the money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pans Jambo

Cut me and I bleed maroon but if I was John Souttar, I would be offski if I had the opportunity to treble my salary given the horrific injuries he has suffered. I would be thinking that the next injury could finish my career. Best to make some decent wedge before the boots get hung up.

 

Love Soapy, but we cant stand in his way if he has a move that will take him south and on money we could never offer. It's just the way it is.

 

A move to Glasgow on the other hand....

Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
12 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:


When should the club have tied Souttar down to a longer contract? If we had and he hadn’t made a recovery folk would be on here moaning we are handing out long contracts to injury prone players. 

 

It's unreal the lengths folk go to to have a pop at the club.

 

"Oh hi John, I know you've had 3 major injuries and you are currently recovering from one but would you mind signing this 4 year, £4,000 per week deal?"

 

Folk need to get real. The club have done plenty wrong in the past with younger players not signing deals but ffs this isn't one of them.

Edited by hmfc_liam06
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully he signs on and stays. 

 

Will be utter shit if we lose him in January. 

 

I don't want money, would rather have him in the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Cut me and I bleed maroon but if I was John Souttar, I would be offski if I had the opportunity to treble my salary given the horrific injuries he has suffered. I would be thinking that the next injury could finish my career. Best to make some decent wedge before the boots get hung up.

 

Love Soapy, but we cant stand in his way if he has a move that will take him south and on money we could never offer. It's just the way it is.

 

A move to Glasgow on the other hand....

 

He's been a young prospect for so long it's easy to forget even he gets older. I'd be gutted if he left but he's 25, he needs to earn before he gets to the vinegar strokes, I wouldn't blame him

Link to post
Share on other sites
Getintaethem

Looks like it’s championship clubs that are showing interest.  Tough decision for him.  I always think it’s a massive gamble for any players and can’t really think of any who have left Hearts and it’s really paid off.  
 

  Financially he’d no doubt be better off, he’s only likely to get around £5k a week from Hearts, he’d probably treble that in the championship.  However, if you look at guys like Paterson, Berra and others that have gone down there, what have they won?  You’re basically giving up the chance of silverware and European football.  I’m not sure it helps players international career, his brother Harry for instance is never quoted for Scotland despite allegedly playing at a higher level.

 

  Looks like his heart is set on a move though.  Money talks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:


They do seem to be able to get their players signed up on long term deals so that helps with transfer fees. Unfortunately something we seem incapable of doing except with our shite players like Martin and Damour!

 

Does it though, Rangers haven't sold a player for more than 5m since Jelavic to Everton!

Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Getintaethem said:

Looks like it’s championship clubs that are showing interest.  Tough decision for him.  I always think it’s a massive gamble for any players and can’t really think of any who have left Hearts and it’s really paid off.  
 

  Financially he’d no doubt be better off, he’s only likely to get around £5k a week from Hearts, he’d probably treble that in the championship.  However, if you look at guys like Paterson, Berra and others that have gone down there, what have they won?  You’re basically giving up the chance of silverware and European football.  I’m not sure it helps players international career, his brother Harry for instance is never quoted for Scotland despite allegedly playing at a higher level.

 

  Looks like his heart is set on a move though.  Money talks.

 

You mean 8 times capped, Australian international Harry Souttar? :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
john thomas
13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

It's unreal the lengths folk go to to have a pop at the club.

 

"Oh hi John, I know you've had 3 major injuries and you are currently recovering from one but would you mind signing this 4 year, £4,000 per week deal?"

 

Folk need to get real. The club have done plenty wrong in the past with younger players not signing deals but ffs this isn't one of them.

Basically same problem with Patterson 

Nothing the club can do

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

You mean 8 times capped, Australian international Harry Souttar? :lol:

who potentially has just picked up a serious injury playing for australia

Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
Just now, milky_26 said:

who potentially has just picked up a serious injury playing for australia

 

Steve Clarke OUT!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Thought Police

One of the few things I agreed with Romanov on is that he shouldn’t play if he refuses to sign a new deal. It’s a rare occasion in football where the club would have shown more loyalty than the player, so we owe him nothing. He’s missed more games than he’s played.

I am absolutely fine with Moore in the back three for the rest of the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Getintaethem
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

You mean 8 times capped, Australian international Harry Souttar? :lol:


 He wasn’t getting into the Scotland squad, so decided to jump ship and has wracked up caps against world giants like Nepal, Jordan and Chinese Taipei 

Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
Just now, Getintaethem said:


 He wasn’t getting into the Scotland squad, so decided to jump ship and has wracked up caps against world giants like Nepal, Jordan and Chinese Taipei 

 

:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Riccarton3

Meh. A million every 6 months in donations and 'fans' are agitating over a player leaving on the cheap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pans Jambo
4 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

One of the few things I agreed with Romanov on is that he shouldn’t play if he refuses to sign a new deal. It’s a rare occasion in football where the club would have shown more loyalty than the player, so we owe him nothing. He’s missed more games than he’s played.

I am absolutely fine with Moore in the back three for the rest of the season.

I don't disagree but to balance it out I would say why not play him whilst we have him. Arguably, he's better than Moore and if he can bring us some level of success before he goes then why not?

How many other players do we have at the end of their contracts or on loan until the end of the season that we wont sign? Do we bench them all? Wouldn't have a squad left!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Des Lynam
12 minutes ago, Pap said:

 

:laugh:

 

Sound mate.


Pardon the pun but I’ve no idea why I went so defensive on that! 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
Riccarton3
7 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Meh. A million every 6 months in donations and 'fans' are agitating over a player leaving on the cheap. 

I'll qualify that by saying 'in JS's injury ravaged circumstances'

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:


Pardon the pun but I’ve no idea why I went so defensive on that! 😂

 

:laugh: No worries mate 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
innerjambo

As the clock keeps ticking on his contract situation, it looks increasingly likely that he's going to shaft us.

It would be very disappointing, and a harsh lesson for the club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pans Jambo
1 minute ago, innerjambo said:

As the clock keeps ticking on his contract situation, it looks increasingly likely that he's going to shaft us.

It would be very disappointing, and a harsh lesson for the club.

Think we need to stop this "he's going to shaft us" opinion. We offered him a contract. He's honouring it. Those are the facts. Gets offered 4 or 5K/Week with us or 15K - 20K /week in the English Championship. What would you do?

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, he owes hearts. He should sign 1/2 year extension and have a release clause that suits both parties.

Christ we have looked after him through his horrendous injuries  ,its the least he could do !!!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A move to England would be acceptable the Old Firm on the other hand. While Stoke are a fairly nondescript club his brother plays for them and they are in and around the promotion play off places. Clubs fighting for promotion to and relegation from the EPL are the likeliest to gamble on Souttar in January in my opinion (NB I'm not in the know).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Famous 1874

Money talks, but Boro, Stoke or Blackburn. Come on John, you can do a lot better than that shite

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Money talks, but Boro, Stoke or Blackburn. Come on John, you can do a lot better than that shite

 

The football clubs are hardly top end but would you really want to live in any of these places?

 

It will be difficult moving from a place like Edinburgh to one of these places.

 

As you say though money talks and he will only have to spend a few years there before he comes back to Scotland realising his mistake.

Link to post
Share on other sites
David McCaig
14 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Think we need to stop this "he's going to shaft us" opinion. We offered him a contract. He's honouring it. Those are the facts. Gets offered 4 or 5K/Week with us or 15K - 20K /week in the English Championship. What would you do?

If we are confident that he would pull in a £5m transfer fee we need to offer him wages appropriate to a £5m player.

 

Given his injury record it would be a very brave move to offer a 3 year contract at £15k per week... thats £2.34m over the length of the contract!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Agreed, better to get a nominal amount, £250-500k, plus a sell-on clause (which will probably be worthless)  for him in January than nothing in the summer. We should be able to find a loan defender to cover at the back for four or five months until next summer. 
Given his injury record and age good luck to him if he is offered a long term deal on two to three times what we could pay him. Hopefully it’s not either of the OF that sign him though. 

 

Smith covering at CB is like for like imo short term. 

Good ball playing centre half. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tokyo Drifter
On 07/11/2021 at 18:33, Robbies Tackle said:

Bit meh about that news.    Get the contract signed man. 

Ain't gonna happen. Yet another great young player we're going to lose for peanuts having stood by him but failed to tie him down (see Callum Paterson etc.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim Panzee
26 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

 

The football clubs are hardly top end but would you really want to live in any of these places?

 

It will be difficult moving from a place like Edinburgh to one of these places.

 

As you say though money talks and he will only have to spend a few years there before he comes back to Scotland realising his mistake.

remember - players don't have to live next door to the stadium they play in....

Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
51 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

remember - players don't have to live next door to the stadium they play in....


The patter some come out with players possibly moving away is incredible 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
kingantti1874

Should have broken the bank for JS on a short term contract.  
 

£10k per week on a 2 year deal.. with a guaranteed exit clause  so we all know we’re we stand.  
 

Yes it’s a gamble, but we have to gamble if we want the transfer fee. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

remember - players don't have to live next door to the stadium they play in....

 

Yes I know that but have you ever been to any of these places mentioned.  Some clubs insist that you are within a restricted area from the training facilities which limits the choice of areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim Panzee
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

 

Yes I know that but have you ever been to any of these places mentioned.  Some clubs insist that you are within a restricted area from the training facilities which limits the choice of areas.

sure have. Times must've changed with these restrictions coming in. Thats really going to restrict some clubs. Still - a quick squizz on google maps using 'boro as an example - I think a few players choose Yarm to live at as it's quite posh (or used to be anyway) - thats only 10-12 mile away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Section Q

I'd be happy if the club let Soapy go for a small fee with a huge sell on percentage. He's top drawer on his day. If Hibs can do it with banjo pants then who knows...,,

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

sure have. Times must've changed with these restrictions coming in. Thats really going to restrict some clubs. Still - a quick squizz on google maps using 'boro as an example - I think a few players choose Yarm to live at as it's quite posh (or used to be anyway) - thats only 10-12 mile away.

 

I am sure there are some relatively nice places around these Cities however I think you are missing my point.

 

He has lived in or around Edinburgh whilst at Hearts and being one of the nicest places to live in the Country. He may well find a bit of culture shock if he decides to move.

 

You also have to remember that often the cause of players maybe not being happy at a club after a move is down to their partners not settling into a new environment away from family etc.

 

Just pointing it out. I'm not looking for an argument about it just making a point. If you disagree then fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...