The G.O.A.T

ri Alban

Who'd you have as the greatest sports person of all time. 

I'll go with Michael Jordan, after watch the last dance. Fecking incredible.

Rupert Pupkin

Kyle Larson...  Any racecar, any race, I’d back him to win..

3960C4B2-795C-4FF2-A020-BC9973C4B402.jpeg

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Theres only one King, King Wullie Bauld. C'mon the Herts.

Were you fortunate enough to have seen Bauld play for us?  I'd love to have seen him play.   

I looked in wikipedia not long ago and can't believe his goal scoring record.   Sadly also noticed that he passed away at only 49.  

Boxer Tyson Fury created controversy ahead of the awards by rejecting his nomination and instructing his legal team to force the BBC to exclude him from the shortlist.[59] Despite his protestations, Fury remained on the shortlist for the trophy which was won for the second time by Lewis Hamilton.

:ears:

Malinga the Swinga

Hard to compare over different sports, times and sexes but the only non Hearts star I have ever queued, and it was for several hours, to meet and shake hands with was Mohammed Ali.

Transcended sport and politics.

Mohammed Ali.

More than just a sporting hero.

Class principled and inspirational to all even though he was for his people first and foremost.

On a par with any black civil rights leaders of the time.

Oh and a tough machine in the ring .

Obviously Robbo is a living hero but I'm sure even the man would give a nod to Ali

Ali, Zidane and.....

****ing Robbo.

And, not necessarily in that order..  :sadrobbo:

2 minutes ago, Ked said:

Mohammed Ali.

Class principled and inspirational to all even though he was for his people first and foremost.

Obviously Robbo is a living hero but I'm sure even the man would give a nod to Ali

Robbo would give a nod to Jim Hamilton, to be honest.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Ked said:

Mohammed Ali.

It's "Muhammad Ali" btw.

Yes. He was arguably the most recognisable sports person across the globe when he was at his peak.

Others who who may have fallen into that category are Pele, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Michael Schumacher and Usain Bolt.

I don't think that the superstars of the NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB have had that reach, despite being some of the highest earning sportsmen of all time. 

33 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Were you fortunate enough to have seen Bauld play for us?  I'd love to have seen him play.   

I looked in wikipedia not long ago and can't believe his goal scoring record.   Sadly also noticed that he passed away at only 49.  

Willie Bauld lived in a modest house on Slateford Road near the foot of Craiglackhart Ave. He was at home alone when he choked to death.  Tragic end for a young man.  The Hearts Nation was devastated by the news.

Eddy Merckx. Name a classic cycling event and he won it, several times. 
World champion x 3

Tour de France x 5

Giro D’Italia x 5

La Vuelta

And all the spring classics and monuments 

And the world record on the track just to run it in. 

He could win any kind of race and his overall number of victories will never be broken. 

No idea really but Don Bradman's 80 innings test career ave. of 99.94 is almost unbelievable. The mental fortitude required to perform for that length of time must be almost unparalleled.

1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

No idea really but Don Bradman's 80 innings test career ave. of 99.94 is almost unbelievable. The mental fortitude required to perform for that length of time must be almost unparalleled.

It’s almost laughable when anyone else is put forward as the greatest cricketer ever. 

12 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Willie Bauld lived in a modest house on Slateford Road near the foot of Craiglackhart Ave. He was at home alone when he choked to death.  Tragic end for a young man.  The Hearts Nation was devastated by the news.

Right opposite the wee stand of shops beside where the snooker club used to be.  It's been suggested that his team-mates were regular visitors to the house,  having been sent up to 'encourage' him out of bed,  every so often.  :)

37 minutes ago, Ked said:

Mohammed Ali.

Yes that’s why I admire Ali , not only for his sporting achievements but as a good decent principled human being . A great man . 

just as I admire Monica Seles for not only het outstanding grand slam record ( 8 by the time she was 19) but also how she handled the stabbing and get dignity about it and lack of bitterness . 

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Right opposite the wee stand of shops beside where the snooker club used to be.  It's been suggested that his team-mates were regular visitors to the house,  having been sent up to 'encourage' him out of bed,  every so often.  :)

A little-known historical fact, which you might be hearing for the first time, is that Duncan Currie once lived in a house which became one of those wee shops you're referring to.  That was in 1914.  Duncan Currie was a Hearts player who joined McCrae's Battalion and was killed at The Somme.  :thumb:

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

A little-known historical fact, which you might be hearing for the first time, is that Duncan Currie once lived in a house which became one of those wee shops you're referring to.  That was in 1914.  Duncan Currie was a Hearts player who joined McCrae's Battalion and was killed at The Somme.  :thumb:

A historical wee Hearts enclave.

29 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

My dad often spoke of Willie Bauld being his favourite Hearts player . I thought he had died of cancer ? I didn’t know that .

32 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Never knew that, knew him better from his visits to his parents in Bingham above the shops there. Knew his brother Rab also whom worked in the Newcraighall Colliery.

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

Never knew that, knew him better from his visits to his parents in Bingham above the shops there. Knew his brother Rab also whom worked in the Newcraighall Colliery.

Yes he was born in Newcraighall I think . His niece was in my class  at school . 

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

Just now, Sharpie said:

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

Yes I was lucky my main Hearts following days were in the Conn, Bauld Wardhaugh hey days.

Samuel Camazzola

I wouldn't like to class someone from a team game as the greatest sportspersons. Likewise, I don't think it's comparable to put a tennis player's achievements up against a boxer. 

It can often be difficult to claim a greatest within a sport across various generations. However, as a follower of golf for many a year, no other player comes close to Tiger! His achievements over 2000 and 2001 will likely never be matched. 

44 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It's "Muhammad Ali" btw.

Yes. He was arguably the most recognisable sports person across the globe when he was at his peak.

Others who who may have fallen into that category are Pele, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Michael Schumacher and Usain Bolt.

I don't think that the superstars of the NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB have had that reach, despite being some of the highest earning sportsmen of all time. 

Oooops.

Yes all those were top sportsmen but none imo had the aura of Muhammad.

16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes that’s why I admire Ali , not only for his sporting achievements but as a good decent principled human being . A great man . 

just as I admire Monica Seles for not only het outstanding grand slam record ( 8 by the time she was 19) but also how she handled the stabbing and get dignity about it and lack of bitterness . 

Its surprising he wasnt assassinated.

He was hated .

Had the world before him but stuck to his beliefs which anyone looking at now would agree were spot on.

6 minutes ago, Ked said:

Its surprising he wasnt assassinated.

He was hated .

Had the world before him but stuck to his beliefs which anyone looking at now would agree were spot on.

I think although he was political he maybe crossed the cultural divide and was popular with many white peoples unlike Malcolm X with whom he was a good friend ?  Yes he was ahead of his time re black pride and identity . 

13 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Yes I was lucky.  my main Hearts following days were in the Conn, Bauld Wardhaugh hey days.

Mine too.  This is my chance to brag one more time ... I was there when Wille Bauld played his first game for Hearts, which was the first appearance of the Terrible Trio.  It was in 1948 or 1949, and The King scored a hat-trick.

Michael Johnson is my favourite athlete of all time but I don't think you could even consider him the GOAT in athletics.

Daley Thompson was incredible across a range of disciplines so does that count more in his favour?

He certainly had the best sports game on the ZX Spectrum so that's a clincher for me.

Edited by Costanza

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Mine too.  This is my chance to brag one more time ... I was there when Wille Bauld played his first game for Hearts, which was the first appearance of the Terrible Trio.  It was in 1948 or 1949, and The King scored a hat-trick.

Amazing !