• Naisys Tackle

• Mikey1874

• luckydug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Very well respected football guy.

Plus this interview was just great....

Sad news indeed. And he went so far up in my estimation for putting chick young in his place. 

Luscious Laryea

Really sad news, not that old at 73. Truly one of the many greats of Scottish football management.

Often wonder how Scotland would have fared if he'd stayed on for another couple of years given the outstanding job he did in his short tenure. Restored pride in the national team from our lowest ebb - rising from 88th to 18th in the FIFA rankings in less than two years is incredible.

As a younger poster I hadn't realised he was the Scotland under-18s manager when we won the 1982 Euros. Ridiculous achievement.

Rest easy Walter.

2 minutes ago, Luscious Laryea said:

Really sad news, not that old at 73. Truly one of the many greats of Scottish football management.

Often wonder how Scotland would have fared if he'd stayed on for another couple of years given the outstanding job he did in his short tenure. Restored pride in the national team from our lowest ebb - rising from 88th to 18th in the FIFA rankings in less than two years is incredible.

As a younger poster I hadn't realised he was the Scotland under-18s manager when we won the 1982 Euros. Ridiculous achievement.

Rest easy Walter.

I also didn't realise he was fergies assistant at the 1986 WC after jock steins death

magic roundabout

Really sad news! I met Walter when he was Scotland manager when over in Japan. A nicer guy you couldn't meet...Loved talking about football and more importantly always had time for fans. RIP.

28 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Quoting the post doesn't really help, with it now taking up about 10% of the thread. 

You don’t often see posts that drag the whole board down but that was one of them. Absolute shocker.

Best not to quote the tasteless post. 

Was upset when he packed in the Scotland job as he had improved the team a lot. 

JJ was full of praise for the way he took the defeat to us in 1998. 

Most managers would have been moaning about the penalty decisions but he took the defeat with good grace. 

Not forgetting the way he handled Chick Dung😏

RIP. 

As far as managers go he was right up there, one of the best, was a really decent guy with a great sense of humour.

Sad loss for Scottish Football.

RIP Walter. 

In 1997-98 my Dundee flat mate at Glasgow Uni lost his father, who was a friend of Walter. He was so supportive of his family (regardless of work commitments). He was checking in and making sure my flat mate was okay. I saw his values from a close distance. Really touched by that memory. 

Also loved revisiting that famous Chick Young video. Leaves a lump in the throat. 

Sadly missed.  

Despite being Mr Rangers I’ve always respected Walter Smith. A true winner and an old school gentleman. RIP

with Jim McLean passing last year as well I can’t help but think about Jim Jefferies and his health. Hope JJ is well

7 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You don’t often see posts that drag the whole board down but that was one of them. Absolute shocker.

Glad I missed it and thankfully the mods are on the ball on this forum. 

Its sad news for someone so hugely influential in Scottish football. 

Maroon Sailor

One of the rare managers that didn't seem to get stick from any set of fans. Takes some doing in the volatile, toxic nature of Scottish football.

The Treasurer

If a minute silence is to be observed at tomorrow's matches, which due to his stature in the game is possible, fester road could be interesting 

41 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I always remember how complimentary he was to us after the Scottish Cup final in 98. Conducted himself with dignity even thought it meant he ended his last season trophy-less. 

Absolutely this. A class act Sad loss

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, jockmac said:

As far as managers go he was right up there, one of the best, was a really decent guy with a great sense of humour.

Sad loss for Scottish Football.

Very true.   The last time I saw him in person was at Craig Whyte's trial in 2017.  Donald Findlay asked him about Ally McCoist's generous contract and termination arrangements.  He joked that McCoist must be better at negotiating contracts than he was.

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

If a minute silence is to be observed at tomorrow's matches, which due to his stature in the game is possible, fester road could be interesting 

And Aberdeen supporters at ibrox 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I was thinking that too, no doubt they will have some sort of amnesty not to do it. 

3 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

And Aberdeen supporters at ibrox 

I’d have serious concerns for their safety if they disrupt a minutes silence for Walter Smith at Ibrox.

Hibs vs Celtic ?. I imagine they might go down the minutes applause route to avoid both clubs being embarrassed.

Very sad news. Absolute Legend. Very astute and the video where he tore a new one for chick the dick summed up the persona of a very clever man. Respect Sir and so sad you are no longer among us.

Pasquale for King
Just now, JimmyCant said:

I’d have serious concerns for their safety if they disrupt a minutes silence for Walter Smith at Ibrox.

Hibs vs Celtic ?. I imagine they might go down the minutes applause route to avoid both clubs being embarrassed.

I think a minutes applause might be better at all the games. 

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It's dreadful that this is even a concern. 

However Hibs have previous as well. 

A minute's applause is the way to go. 

25 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Best not to quote the tasteless post. 

Was upset when he packed in the Scotland job as he had improved the team a lot. 

JJ was full of praise for the way he took the defeat to us in 1998. 

Most managers would have been moaning about the penalty decisions but he took the defeat with good grace. 

Not forgetting the way he handled Chick Dung😏

RIP. 

Correct. In fact he, the Rangers players and staff and their fans conducted themselves with dignity that day. It’s hard to have dignity at the top end of this game but Walter Smith had it in spades 

RIP Walter Smith. The last OF manager I had any respect for. Sad to see him pass away.

Edited by Marvin

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

One of those guys who just loved football, even if it was the wrong team.  I'd love to have 1/10th of the career he had. 

That's exactly it. Rivalries aside, it's always clear the mutual respect that passionate football fans have for each other. Walter clearly lived and breathed the game. Sad day for the Scottish game. RIP.

There is the football side and he was a success on that front without making too many public pronouncements

What has been nice to hear is just how friends and family felt, how he treated his family and dealt with his illness for some time.  Like all I'm sure we think of his family and friends at this time and thoughts go out to them

40 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Will be a minutes applause I’m certain at Celtics request 

11 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

RIP Walter Smith. Outstanding manager for Rangers and Scotland. Only wish he stayed longer with the national team.

Well done Ally McCoist. Great words and must have been difficult for him. 

Some years ago now the organiser of a hospice fundraiser who knew I liked football put me between Walter and Gordon Smith for the night.

Walter genuinely a great guy.

Thought it funny the organiser put a jambo between those two!

Gordon was an arse

10 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

RIP Walter Smith. Outstanding manager for Rangers and Scotland. Only wish he stayed longer with the national team.

Well done Ally McCoist. Great words and must have been difficult for him. 

100%

Sad news indeed. Seemed like a genuine good guy.

His conduct after full time of the ‘98 cup final was absolutely brilliant.

I also have fond memories of him ripping Chick Young a new one in an after match interview. Chico was nearly in tears. It was hilarious.

RIP Walter

It's a remarkable career when you add everything up.

Not sure if my post answering the unkind poster was deleted so just again to mention how he and Jim McLean got close to the European Cup final with Dundee United. 

He's the template for how to manage and motivate players.