***Official St Johnstone FC Vs Heart of Midlothian FC Match Thread***

gregzy2k7

Our team is very good, only place we're really lacking is striker. I get very frustrated seeing everyone play well then Gnando ****s it all up by being offside or playing lazily. Roll on the January window, I hope Savage can work his magic.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Harry Potter

8 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

is this the new party line from the Robbie-Out camp?

Reminds me a bit of how Andy Murray is British when he wins and Scottish if he loses.

So Joe Savage gets the credit and accolades for all our improvements but it’s still Robbie’s fault if we stumble or fail? Is that it? 
Awfully jammy position for Savage, I must say. An incredibly convenient excuse for people intent on withholding praise for the manager…

It's pathetic that a couple of posters just can't let go of their hatred of our manager

8 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

is this the new party line from the Robbie-Out camp?

Reminds me a bit of how Andy Murray is British when he wins and Scottish if he loses.

So Joe Savage gets the credit and accolades for all our improvements but it’s still Robbie’s fault if we stumble or fail? Is that it? 
Awfully jammy position for Savage, I must say. An incredibly convenient excuse for people intent on withholding praise for the manager…

We have improved no doubt about it. The fact is our tactics are the same as they were last season. We have once again failed to beat the bottom three teams in the league, which was our failing previously.

18 minutes ago, karipidis said:

This. Every game this season has been an enjoyable watch but as usual there is this strange sense of entitlement among Hearts fans. Second half was as good as we've played. 

I only clicked on this topic to make that exact point.

I get that people (including me) are really frustrated at the draws. Anyone that watched yesterday knows with the second half display it would have been 4 or 5-1 on another day. It is ifs and buts but taking some positives from performance levels is important especially how awful weve been the past few seasons. Need to start winning soon though or else we will start slipping down the league

Have we improved? Yes.

Have we improved a lot? Yes.

Looking at history, do teams coached / managed by Robbie Neilson tend to improve or get worse? They improve.

The job is not finished. Things can only get (even) better.

Complain if you like. I'm happy and clapping.

Jambo in Bathgate
17 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Have we improved? Yes.

Have we improved a lot? Yes.

Looking at history, do teams coached / managed by Robbie Neilson tend to improve or get worse? They improve.

The job is not finished. Things can only get (even) better.

Complain if you like. I'm happy and clapping.

👏👍

58 minutes ago, XB52 said:

It's pathetic that a couple of posters just can't let go of their hatred of our manager

They deserve to have their own forum. It could be named "Curmudgeon Corner: the Empty Glass".

My only gripe about the last two games is the simplicity and avoidable nature of the two comedy goals we conceded. Same avoidable goal in two different games. With our much lauded defenders it’s almost unforgivably poor defending of set pieces.

Dundee 0 ROSS C 5  

That about sums up the Hearts strike force (with Boyce).  

Midfield improved but attack still sh*t.

Ex member of the SaS

The problem is having a defense minded manager. He has ignored the one position vital in any team. Boyce has scored loads that's true but how many were penalties? We desperately need a poaching type striker and rather than defensive mids, a more attacking system. 

Happy that we are playing 100% better than last season but really really frustrated we can't break down teams like Dundee who lost 5-0. That's the score line we should have come away with.

Robbie is doing much better than expected and whilst Jan window is the hardest to sign good players we simply MUST find a striker. ( or two) 

6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

The problem is having a defense minded manager. He has ignored the one position vital in any team. Boyce has scored loads that's true but how many were penalties? We desperately need a poaching type striker and rather than defensive mids, a more attacking system. 

Happy that we are playing 100% better than last season but really really frustrated we can't break down teams like Dundee who lost 5-0. That's the score line we should have come away with.

Robbie is doing much better than expected and whilst Jan window is the hardest to sign good players we simply MUST find a striker. ( or two) 

It's more about what players you can sign.

Its a lot harder to get good goal scorers in. Don't think we're not trying. 

Byyy The Light
6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

He didn’t ignore it. They were trying to sign a striker they really wanted.  It fell through. This happens. They chose not to go and get a squad filling Craig Wighton type.

Getting a top class striker at our level is needle in a haystack stuff. 

Jambo in Bathgate
11 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Dundee 0 ROSS C 5  

Dundee played a totally different game against RC. They came to Tynecastle not to lose. Last night the game was more open and showed up Dundee for what they really are. 

Ex member of the SaS

In answer to the above two posts that is what the scouts are for, to identify players capable of playing in our system. We have found half a team of good players so far yet we have not seriously looked at a striker after Boyce was signed.

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Dundee played a totally different game against RC. They came to Tynecastle not to lose. Last night the game was more open and showed up Dundee for what they really are. 

Do you think Celtic or Sevco would have scored more even with them sitting in? We need to understand how to win these games as it's clear every manager in the league knows if they sit in we can't score. It's the bottom teams sitting in we need to put to the sword.

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Dundee 0 ROSS C 5  

Aye, I hope we use Ross County as our template for success. 

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Do you think Celtic or Sevco would have scored more even with them sitting in? We need to understand how to win these games as it's clear every manager in the league knows if they sit in we can't score. It's the bottom teams sitting in we need to put to the sword.

Celtic did, SevCo never. 

We will score we are creating unlike 2 seasons ago. 

Folk need to chill the **** out a bit. 

Byyy The Light
20 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

In answer to the above two posts that is what the scouts are for, to identify players capable of playing in our system. We have found half a team of good players so far yet we have not seriously looked at a striker after Boyce was signed.

Scouts will find plenty players capable. Problem is what we can pay them and if they actually want to play in Scotland specifically for Hearts.

Your second point is just completely made up. 

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

He didn’t ignore it. They were trying to sign a striker they really wanted.  It fell through. This happens. They chose not to go and get a squad filling Craig Wighton type.

Getting a top class striker at our level is needle in a haystack stuff. 

Folk forget this. 

Missed out, so rather than sign shite we'll wait. 

It's not football manager 

3 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

We have improved no doubt about it. The fact is our tactics are the same as they were last season. We have once again failed to beat the bottom three teams in the league, which was our failing previously.

Ha ha - brilliant stuff.

Like an obese man trying to do the 400m hurdles. 

5 hours ago, pablo said:

I thought it was another good performance once we settled. The conditions helped St Johnstone, especially at the start of the match. They ran down everything until they were out of puff, but offered nothing in terms of quality or football. Poor side IMO.

Gnando's play deserved a goal and came close several times. Souttar on another couple of occasions.

The football we're playing now is night and day from where we've been for years. Couple of players away from being a good Hearts team. Think we all know which areas need improvement. 

There is a vast improvement in our approach to away games compared to the last few seasons.   A decent striker on loan and third should be guaranteed. 

Berra than you
46 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

You don't know we didn't seriously look. It's easy to sign awful players, hard to sign good ones. It was well documented we were after a striker and it fell through. I would much rather wait for a quality player than just sign a jobber squad filler. If like to think we will address this in January.

1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

A St Johnstone fan’s take

EC542731-2303-41AA-BAA3-182BB208382F.png

Can we not invite the St Johnstone fan to start posting on here?  Could even things up a bit with some happy clapping pro-Hearts neutrality.

52 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Did we not sign Gnanduillet after Boyce signed?

Byyy The Light
13 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Can we not invite the St Johnstone fan to start posting on here?  Could even things up a bit with some happy clapping pro-Hearts neutrality.

Not sure he's got wifi on his tractor

4 hours ago, PapaShango said:

One thing that I thought of watching the game last night was how much I am enjoying Hearts again. After the last few years, it's good to see players that are desperate to win and the style of football we have played at times is excellent. We are just that goal scorer away from gubbing a few teams. Love the midfield duo of Devlin and Beni and Souttar looked immense second half last night. 

You can see at some point a team or three  is going to take a drubbing off us. Theres no holding on for a draw either. I missed the last 60 mins last night but by the sounds of it from Robbo and people I spoke to we did everything but score more. The annoying thing is thats two in a row that have been draws when they should have been very comfortable wins. 

I don’t think there is any fear of who we are playing which would fit with Robbie’s attitude. Then add in Elbows and Naismith its a group that expect to win. Hopefully we can get a good goalscorer in January and push on and until then keep pace.

The frustration is the same with everyone. 6draws and 4 at least should have been comfortable wins. Hibs , County , Dundee , St Johnstone…However I would be concerned if we weren’t making chances. Imo we are 

Jambo in Bathgate
22 minutes ago, sadj said:

You can see at some point a team or three  is going to take a drubbing off us. Theres no holding on for a draw either. I missed the last 60 mins last night but by the sounds of it from Robbo and people I spoke to we did everything but score more. The annoying thing is thats two in a row that have been draws when they should have been very comfortable wins. 

I don’t think there is any fear of who we are playing which would fit with Robbie’s attitude. Then add in Elbows and Naismith its a group that expect to win. Hopefully we can get a good goalscorer in January and push on and until then keep pace.

The frustration is the same with everyone. 6draws and 4 at least should have been comfortable wins. Hibs , County , Dundee , St Johnstone…However I would be concerned if we weren’t making chances. Imo we are 

St Johnstone pressed us for 30 mins in first half but couldn’t do that forever. In the second half they resorted to big team tactics ie take players out if your opponent beats you. These tactics prevented us from getting into dangerous positions. Having said that Halkett made a number of unforced errors last night one of which led to their goal. 

August Landmesser
32 minutes ago, sadj said:

I agree in general, but not sure if Hibs should've been a comfortable win. They had at least as many shots/chances as we did. We'd scud them now mind...

The other three though, deffo,that's six points dropped. Frustrating, but at least we're creating loads of chances. Goals will surely come!

6 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Jkb  brains Trust has cracked it. 

JKB back to it's slavering best. 

We need to stop passing the ball and keeping possession, that's nae use. 

We need more hoofs. 

Passing oot.

Hoofs in. 

We also need to lose more games because if we do that we'll automatically win more. 

Alex Ferguson and the best managers are famous for that philosophy - we need to lose a few games because if we do we’ll win more of the future games. 

That's how football works. 

Being unbeaten oot!

Lets turn some of the draws into defeats and we'll win the next game. 

In fact We shouldn't have bothered equalising last night, we've now ****ed our chances of a win at Aberdeen. 

That's how it will work. 

:vrface:

Honestly son. Give it a rest. God knows what posts your reading and putting you own slant on but people have the right to express various concerns about 6 draws in 11 matches and explore why there are so many.

Christ you don’t even go to Hearts games and you sit here judging the opinions of those who do.

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Honestly son. Give it a rest. God knows what posts your reading and putting you own slant on but people have the right to express various concerns about 6 draws in 11 matches and explore why there are so many.

Christ you don’t even go to Hearts games and you sit here judging the opinions of those who do.

Give yourself a rest, son. 

I do go to Hearts games. You bring up me putting a slant on things then proceed to just make things up for whatever reason that you'll only know. 

Classic Jimmy. 

You can't make that kind of stuff up. ( well, you can😳). 

Edited by Smith's right boot

We’ve made massive progress

we’re  a really good team and we’re going to get better.we could easily have won both games by decent margins 
someone’s going to get it tight when it’s clicked up front.

absolutely able to be patient based on what I’m seeing  

1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

Still no post match reaction from Robbie.

There's an interview on the Hearts Twitter page from him and comments on the BBC site. 

20 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

There's an interview on the Hearts Twitter page from him and comments on the BBC site. 

Thanks,don't do twatter though. We usually get it on hearts tv

Francis Albert
13 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Sorry to be confrontational but which unbeaten mid-table sides at present are we on a par with?

By JKB standards that is hardly confrontational! If we are honest we should have been buried well before half time against Rangers and Celtic. Deduct 4 points and add 3 to Celtic and 2 to Rangers and we would be sitting in mid table alongside Hibs and  adrift of the leaders.  Of course I would have taken that at the start of the season. But the idea we are title contenders or a shoo-in for 3rd or even top six is somewhat premature to say the least.

Edited by Francis Albert

10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

By JKB standards that is hardly confrontational! If we are honest we should have been buried well before half time against Rangers and Celtic. Deduct 4 points and add 3 to Celtic and 2 to Rangers and we would be sitting in mid table alongside Hibs and  adrift of the leaders.  Of course I would have taken that at the start of the season. But the idea we are title contenders or a shoo-in for 3rd or even top six is somewhat premature to say the least.

What about the other draws in games we dominated? Works both ways.  And the neutral reports I read said that a draw was a fair result at ibrox.

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

What about the other draws in games we dominated? Works both ways.  And the neutral reports I read said that a draw was a fair result at ibrox.

I agree. But football isn't fair. The threads on here for the Celtic and Rangers games told their own story. We should have been dead and buried by HT. Time will tell if I am less optimistic about this season than some. Nearly 60 years as a Hearts fan gets to you. Sorry.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Do we know what the away attendance figure was? must have been close to 4k, and therefore double the tractor drivers.

Hearts TV said 3000 plus. Amazing.

10 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Why have you deducted 4 points(Fair comment tho it is about) but not added 6 points for Dundee, St Johnstone and Aberdeen. We should have buried them in the first half, and you could also add 4 for Hibs and Ross county, we had the chances. So we could be top a point clear of rangers. But we're no, we drew and beat Celtic and we sit on 21 points unbeaten after eleven games. If and buts don't count.

14 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

So you're allowed your opinion whilst judging Tosh, but he's to shut up. 🤔

20 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Jkb  brains Trust has cracked it. 

JKB back to it's slavering best. 

We need to stop passing the ball and keeping possession, that's nae use. 

We need more hoofs. 

Passing oot.

Hoofs in. 

We also need to lose more games because if we do that we'll automatically win more. 

Alex Ferguson and the best managers are famous for that philosophy - we need to lose a few games because if we do we’ll win more of the future games. 

That's how football works. 

Being unbeaten oot!

Lets turn some of the draws into defeats and we'll win the next game. 

In fact We shouldn't have bothered equalising last night, we've now ****ed our chances of a win at Aberdeen. 

That's how it will work. 

:vrface:

🤣 

20 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's called straw clutching. 

It's a shame we have folk itching to rip into Bob when the progress is clear. 

They take any opportunity to fly into a hissy fit and generally talk utter shit. 

They're actually gutted we are doing well. 

It's so obvious. They  Post very little when we are winning, rabid when we  drop points. 

Tbf, you're no helping with this Bob patter, are you?  :) Please stop.

15 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

☝That is simply not true. No surprise there!

12 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

You're not trying hard enough. Why not scrutinise all of our matches thus far, deduct a raft of points already won, and fantasise about us belonging in a relegation battle?

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

🤣

Tbf, you're no helping with this Bob patter, are you?  :) Please stop.

Bobmeister? 

Are you saying Bob oot? 

😢

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

You're not trying hard enough. Why not scrutinise all of our matches thus far, deduct a raft of points already won, and fantasise about us belonging in a relegation battle?

:greatpost: