Minutes applause requests

Lightbulb

It has become a nonsense. A certain type of person in this country revels in this bizarre culture of piety that exists on social media. I know certain people that you know 100% that in the event of any tragic happening they’ll be changing their avatar or adding a banner to their Facebook page about it. This same type of person will post quite straight faced posts regularly that contain the new and utterly foul phrase “happy heavenly birthday”. 
You know the type, dogs are fur babies, doggos, or puppers and they are incredibly easily offended by anything. 

26 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It has become a nonsense. A certain type of person in this country revels in this bizarre culture of piety that exists on social media. I know certain people that you know 100% that in the event of any tragic happening they’ll be changing their avatar or adding a banner to their Facebook page about it. This same type of person will post quite straight faced posts regularly that contain the new and utterly foul phrase “happy heavenly birthday”. 
You know the type, dogs are fur babies, doggos, or puppers and they are incredibly easily offended by anything. 

You sound a bit offended though? 😄

Bazzas right boot
47 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You're so wrong it's quite embarrassing for you Tbh. 

Everyone knows kittens are fur babies. 

6 hours ago, Lightbulb said:

Difficult subject but I note we have another two requests from families for supporters to show their respect with applause on the 15th and 61st minutes. Totally support and respect this, but as these requests increase perhaps we need to think about other ways of doing this.  I feel doing this once or twice ( or more?) during matches  becomes problematic and also loses impact. I feel half-time announcements perhaps with a minutes applause for those who have died might be a better way of us showing respect to the bereaved families. 🇱🇻

Agree with this. I'm in a few Hearts groups on Facebook and there's a request every other week. 

Horrible thing losing a relative and it would be a lovely tribute to have a minutes applause, but IMO, and I'm struggling to think of better words to use, but this sort of thing should be reserved for "important" figures or for bigger causes (i.e. Zal, NMD, ex-players, things like that). And sometimes these requests come from people who aren't even going to be at the game.

I don't mean to sound cold-hearted by saying "we can't do it for every Tom Dick and Harry" but we really shouldn't because it'll lose its sentiment and people will simply stop joining in.  

We have the Memorial Garden, so my advice to those who would like to mark the passing of a loved one at Tynecastle would be to visit the garden, leave some flowers or a photograph or something, and have a quiet moment to yourself. If you can, purchase a plaque, and their name will be there forever more and you can drop in to see it when the garden is open. 

6 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

If I remember at the end of every season St Mirren read out the names of every fan that passed away during that season and then have an applause to remember them

This would be more approriate then applause every game. The only reason we should be given a minutes applause if its someone who has sadly passed away while attending a game.

Agreed

4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Seen someone on Facebook get absolute pelters for suggesting that these applause requests should be kept back for memorial games either at the start of the season or end. Apparently he is a disrespectful prick for doing so.

Facebook is full of triggered boomers and bots so I wouldn't use it as a litmus test for general fanbase's reaction to the situation as a whole.

It's a rare occasion I know what these are for but at the end of the day it's just a wee clap for a fellow hearts fan and their family.

Can't ever imagine a situation I'd be raging at it 

4 hours ago, sassenach said:

And what if the opposition scored at the start of the applause?  It would become a nonsense.

This is all I can think about when I start clapping for these moments - it would completely poison the moment, especially for the family/friends that organised it.

As Laurie posted earlier, Man City's approach is best I think.

4 hours ago, sassenach said:

Old fart here!

I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone, but I don't see the need for organised applause during a game.  Back in the day, if a player or club servant had passed on we had a respectful silence before kickoff.  If a well-known fan had passed we might have a tannoy announcement or a little piece in the programme.

Once the game has started I don't want to be arsed with checking my watch to see when I should start clapping, I just want to watch the match.

And what if the opposition scored at the start of the applause?  It would become a nonsense.

Another old fart here and totally agree. As the OP I was keen to gauge wider opinions on this so chose my words carefully 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I know certain people that you know 100% that in the event of any tragic happening they’ll be changing their avatar or adding a banner to their Facebook page about it. This same type of person will post quite straight faced posts regularly that contain the new and utterly foul phrase “happy heavenly birthday”. 

Can't really see the merit in asking for a minutes applause for a fan, even one who's died in tragic/young circumstances.     Maybe ask Hearts to put a few lines in the match program, or on the advertising screen instead ?

However, I do think that FoH should be putting out a simple email once a year listing those pledgers who have passed - after all, they've played their part in saving and funding the club during hard times.       

IIRC, Hearts AGM's used to start with a minute's silence for shareholders  who have passed. Maybe they still do ?

Imo applause before or during random games should be kept solely for club legends - or important staff. As echoed previously we should have a dedicated 'memorial' game where there's one big applause and Scott Wilson reads out the names of fellow Jambos who have sadly passed that season.

Naisys Tackle
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

If it helps just a couple of mums or dads, sons or daughters who’s life has been turned upside down by a close person dying then it’s only for a minute and anything but a nonsense for me. 

13 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

If it helps just a couple of mums or dads, sons or daughters who’s life has been turned upside down by a close person dying then it’s only for a minute and anything but a nonsense for me. 

I get that, I’m not totally heartless, but as per the OP it’s happening so often it’s almost devalued in a way. I understand that people get solace from it but where does it stop? There are two this weekend, there could then be 3 requests the next game or more. When it first started it tended to be dreadful things like young people or perhaps someone who’d had a season ticket for a vast amount of years. I’m a respectful person so I’ll honour them as it’s what someone wants. I also don’t understand how it could be stopped anyway as the club can’t ban or discourage it or they’ll be accused of all sorts on social media. 

Naisys Tackle
Just now, Tazio said:

I get that, I’m not totally heartless, but as per the OP it’s happening so often it’s almost devalued in a way. I understand that people get solace from it but where does it stop? There are two this weekend, there could then be 3 requests the next game or more. When it first started it tended to be dreadful things like young people or perhaps someone who’d had a season ticket for a vast amount of years. I’m a respectful person so I’ll honour them as it’s what someone wants. I also don’t understand how it could be stopped anyway as the club can’t ban or discourage it or they’ll be accused of all sorts on social media. 

I don’t think it’s devalued for the people that will get some grief relief for when it happens.  I do understand and partly agree with you on the grand scale of it but when you cut it down to tiny pieces you have to remember it could infact will be helping fellow Jambos and human beings at a very hard time for them and for that reason I’m happy to respect it.

Half time idea would be best for all with a wee bit from SW mentioning a couple of names.  Longer term a wee bit about them after their name as the applause is on would be ideal for me. 

25 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Why during the game though?

Naisys Tackle
6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Why during the game though?

Because it’s not been suggested to the club to do all at half time perhaps? A certain minute in the game makes it personal to a certain person, people spontaneously clapping at half time wouldn’t work unless names are read out or on a screen. 

Edited by Robbies Tackle

been here before

Might just be easier to have a 90 minute applause for everyone whose ever set foot near Tynecastle and have a minutes worth of football break out every now and again during it.

4 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Difficult emotive subject. No real answer I'm afraid. 

It shouldn't be though.

It's a new phenomenon of past few years.

As a few posters have said, it's a social media led nonsense (there, I've said it).

The Zal one should have been the last during a game. Zal's also caused a bit furore, with Dons fans berating it afterwards.

Leave the 90 minutes for football.

Pre match and HT for tributes.

13 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

It shouldn't be though.

It's a new phenomenon of past few years.

As a few posters have said, it's a social media led nonsense (there, I've said it).

The Zal one should have been the last during a game. Zal's also caused a bit furore, with Dons fans berating it afterwards.

Leave the 90 minutes for football.

Pre match and HT for tributes.

It’s on the road to burning itself out imo. If they have two during this coming game and multiple minutes long claps becomes the norm, it’ll just lose its effect as the crowd will just not react. Apologies if that sounds harsh but it’s how I see this progressing. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

It’s on the road to burning itself out imo. If they have two during this coming game and multiple minutes long claps becomes the norm, it’ll just lose its effect as the crowd will just not react. Apologies if that sounds harsh but it’s how I see this progressing. 

No need to apologise GR

6 hours ago, sassenach said:

Old fart here!

I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone, but I don't see the need for organised applause during a game.  Back in the day, if a player or club servant had passed on we had a respectful silence before kickoff.  If a well-known fan had passed we might have a tannoy announcement or a little piece in the programme.

Once the game has started I don't want to be arsed with checking my watch to see when I should start clapping, I just want to watch the match.

Spot on mate , we get a pen or free kick and we are clapping will we then clap after it on the minute after it was meant to be done 😂. Why don’t they go the extra mile and ask hearts to retire their favourite number too . 

I’m sure in Spain they do that too all the fans who have died get remembered for a minute before the first game of season, and there faces are on big screens . Scott Wilson could read the names out before the match. And if you die mid season your waiting till the first game of next season to have a clap 😂.

13 hours ago, john thomas said:

Not sure if I would get applause from people I have met !

😀 I'd take stoney faced silence as a good outcome.

13 hours ago, Laurie said:

Also saw someone share it on Twitter and mention that the matchday programme for the "memorial game" (if Hearts did something like that) could have a tribute to the fans who have passed away, names on the cover or somewhere inside. It was Connor Preston who suggested that, and something along those lines would also be a nice addition, IMO.

Agree, that is a good way to deal with it, I'd also suggest it wouldn't be onerus to include a notice in the next match programme following a fans passing if the family requests it, you used to see this occasionally in the programme in years gone by.

Clapping during the game is getting a little out of hand IMO.  I don't want any fecker to do it for me - not that anyone would, probably boooo

Edited by Chuck Berry

For me it's simply looking at whether there's a better way of paying tribute to fans who have passed away, as mentioned I don't have an issue with people asking for an applause (and it's up to fans whether they join in or not) - I think it can just dilute the message/impact a bit and actually end up being less of a tribute than people would have hoped for. A set memorial game, with names mentioned by Scott Wilson, printed in the programme and maybe shown on the LED boards during a silence/applause would be very focused and hopefully more fitting. 

I do hope people join in this weekend, but maybe longer term there's potential for actually providing a better option. 

On 21/10/2021 at 07:53, been here before said:

Used to do something at the last home game of the season/firsf game of the new one and that sufficed.

Now every week sees some other 'we are asking that you applaud on 25 minutes for our great grannys dugs best pals auntie who was a Hearts supporter for 25 years. Please make this happen via Facebook, Twitter...'.

Zal aside I dont think I've ever joined in on one, seen many folk doing it and asking 'whats this for?'. 'Dunno mate, is it not that boy who died or something? There was something on Facebook I think'.

Its how Id like to be remembered, being applauded at an arbitary minute of a football match by 100s of total strangers who have no idea about me and dont really know why they're doing it.

It's never done at the minute that's requested either, always the following one. Request for applause in the 18th minute? Applause starts once the clock hits 18:00, at which point we're into the 19th minute!

been here before
7 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I think this is in bad taste and is totally uncalled for. 

If you think you're being funny or smart, take it from me you're not.

If you think I value your opinion about this or anything else, take it from me I dont.

I totally agree and fair play to the OP for raising it.  It's not for me at all and I don't think we should be encouraging at all anymore.

If you want them applauded then add their name to an end of season list and we can tip out hats to all those lost then.

19 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I think this is in bad taste and is totally uncalled for. 

If you think you're being funny or smart, take it from me you're not.

10 minutes ago, been here before said:

If you think I value your opinion about this or anything else, take it from me I dont.

Let's not go for a fight guys.

I thought BHBs reply was a good light hearted joke and Jono is a top grade poster.

Let it go no further, please.

kingantti1874

Agree with some of the suggestions on here.. applauses during the game are frequent, and whilst it’s not a hassle for anyone it’s beginning to lose meaning.

reading the names of fallen jambos at the last home game the season would be a better tribute i think.. 

it’s not a. topic which should be debated on Facebook however, far too much emotion.  The club should organise and advise this and put a process in place. 

Edited by kingantti1874

My dad died a few years ago and had been a huge Hearts fans for decades. Personally, I'd have been against there being an applause for him. This is just my view and I appreciate that others feel differently so I don't want to be disrespectful. From my point of view, I don't see the point in thousands of strangers clapping for him when they didn't know him. Those who did know him paid their respects in other ways. I also arranged for a memorial plaque for him at Tynecastle which felt like a fitting tribute.

It is, of course, up to each person to decide what tribute they want for a lost relative/friend and there's no correct answer.

Edited by Stanley_

joondalupjambo

Teddy bears at roadside locations, graves looking like a kids messy room, Facebook pages to raise money for funerals, organised clapping and on and on it goes.  A respectful half time announcement is all that is needed.  But I am an old fart so just ignore all that.

On 21/10/2021 at 07:26, Lightbulb said:

Difficult subject but I note we have another two requests from families for supporters to show their respect with applause on the 15th and 61st minutes. Totally support and respect this, but as these requests increase perhaps we need to think about other ways of doing this.  I feel doing this once or twice ( or more?) during matches  becomes problematic and also loses impact. I feel half-time announcements perhaps with a minutes applause for those who have died might be a better way of us showing respect to the bereaved families. 🇱🇻

I don't think such memorials should become the norm. Nevertheless, our hearts go out to a family and friends who have lost someone aged 15. My sincere condolences.

1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

I don't think such memorials should become the norm. Nevertheless, our hearts go out to a family and friends who have lost someone aged 15. My sincere condolences.

Apologies, I got that wrong.

Thought Police
1 hour ago, JCR said:

The second one on 61 minutes didn’t happen, at least as far as I could hear in section C. 

That was inevitable. There’s a game to be played, who can remember every tribute?

1 hour ago, JCR said:

The second one on 61 minutes didn’t happen, at least as far as I could hear in section C. 

I think it may have started briefly as Jason Cummings came on but then quickly stopped.

During the Motherwell game, old boy next to me asked "what's this for?" His pal next to him said "for a boy who passed away recently, don't worry we'll be doing one for you soon" 🤣 Savage!

1 minute ago, WDJ87 said:

During the Motherwell game, old boy next to me asked "what's this for?" His pal next to him said "for a boy who passed away recently, don't worry we'll be doing one for you soon" 🤣 Savage!

🤣🤣