Minutes applause requests

Lightbulb

Difficult subject but I note we have another two requests from families for supporters to show their respect with applause on the 15th and 61st minutes. Totally support and respect this, but as these requests increase perhaps we need to think about other ways of doing this.  I feel doing this once or twice ( or more?) during matches  becomes problematic and also loses impact. I feel half-time announcements perhaps with a minutes applause for those who have died might be a better way of us showing respect to the bereaved families. 🇱🇻

Italian Lambretta

If I remember at the end of every season St Mirren read out the names of every fan that passed away during that season and then have an applause to remember them

This would be more approriate then applause every game. The only reason we should be given a minutes applause if its someone who has sadly passed away while attending a game.

The Treasurer

Agree with the above posts. 

Half the time most people have no idea what or who the applause is for unless they have been on social media. 

Much better to have an "official" announcement once a season which could include names being displayed on the pitch side electronic advertising boards 

I appreciate it's a sensitive subject but I would prefer us to do this differently. A start and end of season paying of respects to those whose friends and families wish their loved ones deaths to be recognised in this way.

Otherwise stick to Hearts and football notables, and events which are significant for all which require a community response.

I'll put my hand up here and say my demise probably won't  merit applause from people I have never met.

been here before

Used to do something at the last home game of the season/firsf game of the new one and that sufficed.

Now every week sees some other 'we are asking that you applaud on 25 minutes for our great grannys dugs best pals auntie who was a Hearts supporter for 25 years. Please make this happen via Facebook, Twitter...'.

Zal aside I dont think I've ever joined in on one, seen many folk doing it and asking 'whats this for?'. 'Dunno mate, is it not that boy who died or something? There was something on Facebook I think'.

Its how Id like to be remembered, being applauded at an arbitary minute of a football match by 100s of total strangers who have no idea about me and dont really know why they're doing it.

Edited by been here before

1 hour ago, stan said:

I appreciate it's a sensitive subject but I would prefer us to do this differently. A start and end of season paying of respects to those whose friends and families wish their loved ones deaths to be recognised in this way.

Otherwise stick to Hearts and football notables, and events which are significant for all which require a community response.

I'll put my hand up here and say my demise probably won't  merit applause from people I have never met.

Not sure if I would get applause from people I have met !

I think the below from Man City (which other clubs do as well) is a good approach. I don't have any issue with the applauses as such, and will make reference to the two this weekend as I knew one of those (albeit not closely) who sadly passed and I also know one of the family of the other. But as suggested above, it can dilute the effect a bit if there are multiple applauses arranged each week, and if fans aren't on social media they may not even know who they are for - and then there's the danger of some not getting the same reaction as others, for no other reason than people didn't know it was happening. 

https://www.mancity.com/news/club/manchester-city-memorial-game-announcement-63770325

I mentioned the above to someone at the club, but would be interested to get a feeling if something like that would be the preference? 

Edited by Laurie

Also saw someone share it on Twitter and mention that the matchday programme for the "memorial game" (if Hearts did something like that) could have a tribute to the fans who have passed away, names on the cover or somewhere inside. It was Connor Preston who suggested that, and something along those lines would also be a nice addition, IMO.

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Laurie said:

I think the below from Man City (which other clubs do as well) is a good approach. I don't have any issue with the applauses as such, and will make reference to the two this weekend as I knew one of those (albeit not closely) who sadly passed and I also know one of the family of the other. But as suggested above, it can dilute the effect a bit if there are multiple applauses arranged each week, and if fans aren't on social media they make not even know who they are for - and then there's the danger of some not getting the same reaction as others, for no other reason than people didn't know it was happening. 

https://www.mancity.com/news/club/manchester-city-memorial-game-announcement-63770325

I mentioned the above to someone at the club, but would be interested to get a feeling if something like that would be the preference? 

That looks like a sound idea Laurie - I am sure we could do our own twist on it but the basic man city set up would at least channel these into a single match. I agree it has got too much. I will always join in the clapping wetc out of respect but it loses meaning if it is too frequent.

I also think we should narrow down which type of celebrity/ personality we remember at matches. To me it should only be Hearts players or managers of some significance (eg those who have played/managed more than 50 matches). Opposition players can be remembered by their own fans at their next home match. No politicians, royalty, religious figures unless it is part of official government arrangements - eg death of the queen would merit it  (even though I'm a republican it's a matter of respect for service to the country) or another significant national figure where the government itself has made arrangements to mourn.

How about having a minutes booing for someone you didn't like? Not serious but most people wouldn't do it.They would say "why am i going to boo someone i didn't know"? I'm not a fan of this every match.These things are private but others think differently.

Seen someone on Facebook get absolute pelters for suggesting that these applause requests should be kept back for memorial games either at the start of the season or end. Apparently he is a disrespectful prick for doing so.

9 minutes ago, Four faces said:

How about having a minutes booing for someone you didn't like? Not serious but most people wouldn't do it.They would say "why am i going to boo someone i didn't know"? I'm not a fan of this every match.These things are private but others think differently.

Good analogy, like it 👍

Pretty much agree. Its far too often.

Keep for ex players/officials and not during matches.

They're starting to take the piss now. I saw someone ask for an applause because their puppy died last season.

Why not just have an applause before the game? 

I've made it quite clear that if I die I don't want anyone asking for a minutes applause for me.

I don't participate in them either as I see it as a bit of an empty gesture.

If it gives the family and friends some sort of comfort then fair enough, but it's not for me and I do find the situation this weekend, with 2 separate applauses, a bit silly.

Don't think it's callous to say that they are incredibly arbitrary now, particularly if there's more than one in a game. Sure it's nice for the families affected if that's what they want and if it happens I'm not going to be sitting there petted lip pure raging about it, I'll join in but not being on facebook or twitter it's rare that I have any idea about who I'm applauding for. 

1 minute ago, Sertse said:

They're starting to take the piss now. I saw someone ask for an applause because their puppy died last season.

Why not just have an applause before the game? 

Wigan had one for a duck a few weeks back because the duck had the same name as a well known fan and there was initially some confusion.

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Seen someone on Facebook get absolute pelters for suggesting that these applause requests should be kept back for memorial games either at the start of the season or end. Apparently he is a disrespectful prick for doing so.

Grief when a close one is lost often make people act irrationally and dare I say cringey.

Get a feeling these requests are made by friends in a more "look what I managed".

The Facebook gobshites just like to be gobshites.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
32 minutes ago, Laurie said:

I think the below from Man City (which other clubs do as well) is a good approach. I don't have any issue with the applauses as such, and will make reference to the two this weekend as I knew one of those (albeit not closely) who sadly passed and I also know one of the family of the other. But as suggested above, it can dilute the effect a bit if there are multiple applauses arranged each week, and if fans aren't on social media they may not even know who they are for - and then there's the danger of some not getting the same reaction as others, for no other reason than people didn't know it was happening. 

The Man City approach is one I'd definitely support, Laurie, with only one change.  I'd prefer it to be done during the first home match after the New Year. While it will probably affect hardly any, it would avoid missing anyone dying in the second half of December.

Edited by Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

I agree with the general consensus that there has to be a better way of doing this so that we can honour those who have died in a meaningful way, perhaps before a game. 

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the impact on the field when there is a minute's applause. I would be interested to know if it affects the players. It certainly feels quite an odd atmosphere to be trying to play football during that minute. 

21 minutes ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

The Man City approach is one I'd definitely support, Laurie, with only one change.  I'd prefer it to be done during the first home match after the New Year. While it will probably affect hardly any, it would avoid missing anyone dying in the second half of December.

The first match of the season could be be used as it is the start of another football year. Either way, one game a year for this seems more appropriate. 

Why not just applaud for the full 90 minutes? After all, we're there to commemorate people we didn't even know, not watch a football game or anything.

In all seriousness though I hope it stops soon. People seem too scared to tell them no in fear of being called insensitive.

Carl Fredrickson
36 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I've made it quite clear that if I die I don't want anyone asking for a minutes applause for me.

I don't participate in them either as I see it as a bit of an empty gesture.

If it gives the family and friends some sort of comfort then fair enough, but it's not for me and I do find the situation this weekend, with 2 separate applauses, a bit silly.

Surely when, not if? :peepwall:

I too would much prefer a "memorial" game set up. A number of clubs down south do this and seems well received. 

been here before
3 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Old fart here!

I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone, but I don't see the need for organised applause during a game.  Back in the day, if a player or club servant had passed on we had a respectful silence before kickoff.  If a well-known fan had passed we might have a tannoy announcement or a little piece in the programme.

Once the game has started I don't want to be arsed with checking my watch to see when I should start clapping, I just want to watch the match.

And what if the opposition scored at the start of the applause?  It would become a nonsense.

There is no need for it but we now live in a world where being seen to do something is worth more and is more important than the event or person you're supposed to be celebrating.

And if it gets you a few 'likes' on facebook then all the better.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

They're not for me.

For a player, such as Zal, then absolutely.

Agree. Even then being old fashioned for me a minutes silence and contemplation before KO seems  to show more respect.

Edited by Francis Albert

3 minutes ago, been here before said:

There is no need for it but we now live in a world where being seen to do something is worth more and is more important than the event or person you're supposed to be celebrating.

And if it gets you a few 'likes' on facebook then all the better.

This sums it up for me. Here's an idea. We could organise an event where all of the people who knew the deceased, friends, family, workmates etc could congregate and pay their respects. We could call it 'a funeral'. Targeted and personalised to the person who's passed away and not relying on the good will of or imposition on strangers...

The law of averages says that there will be Hearts supporters dying every week, likely every day. Regardless of what anyone thinks they can't all be worthy of a minutes applause. With all due respect to the families etc, there has to be a line drawn on this before it gets out of hand. Alternatively, people will be hurt after the umpteenth request for an applause when supporters just start to switch off. I think marking this once a year as a family of supporters is a good idea, otherwise it just starts to feel like the sort of virtue signalling that got me raging every time I looked at Facebook and ultimately had me close down my account....

1 hour ago, Laurie said:

I support this idea of a game to remember family and friends who have died rather than the current situation where applause appears to organised via social media - at the recent Motherwell game there was applause for which I still don’t know reason. I’d go for first game of the season when people can applaud and think of family/friends who will no longer be able be there - it doesn’t have to be a recent bereavement as we all have lost people who shared our love of Hearts.

But I would make an exception for significant players/officials who have been servants of the club. I know that may sound a bit contradictory, but is much easier to quantify and control.

Agreed   would rather see  silences observed for Club  servants.

As  for fans  I  would prefer  the  idea of  before   first and last  games of the season.

don't mind joining in the applause but at the same time I'm hoping there's not a goal which would well and truly interrupt the minutes applause....

As heartfelt the sentiment I do feel now that given the amount of requests that come in that these tributes are very much diluted.

Imo this should be done once a season to recognise all supporters who have passed and perhaps publish their names in the match day program as well as shown through the electronic billboards during the minutes silence.

Edited by slashishere

The Treasurer
57 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Grief when a close one is lost often make people act irrationally and dare I say cringey.

Get a feeling these requests are made by friends in a more "look what I managed".

The Facebook gobshites just like to be gobshites.

It's similar to all these vigils that are held after someone has tragically lost their lives. 

The majority are only there to be seen rather than out of respect for the individual involved 

Either first home game or last home game designated as a memorial game for all Hearts supporters who have sadly died during or previous season.

Would for me be the appropriate and correct thing to do. The recent Motherwell game there was applause during the game and although I joined in I didn't actually know the reason for the applause, you just don't want to feel you are the disrespectful one if you don't join in. Perhaps it is something we the supporters can approach the club board about through supporters representatives and FOH?

3 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

If I remember at the end of every season St Mirren read out the names of every fan that passed away during that season and then have an applause to remember them

This would be more approriate then applause every game. The only reason we should be given a minutes applause if its someone who has sadly passed away while attending a game.

Yup. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

don't mind joining in the applause but at the same time I'm hoping there's not a goal which would well and truly interrupt the minutes applause....

Or worse, we concede.. 

I do tend to join in as I don't want people to think im a prick for not doing it, but 9/10 I genuinely have no idea whats happening, just like the one at Ibrox on Saturday.

lost in space
52 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

I agree with the general consensus that there has to be a better way of doing this so that we can honour those who have died in a meaningful way, perhaps before a game. 

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the impact on the field when there is a minute's applause. I would be interested to know if it affects the players. It certainly feels quite an odd atmosphere to be trying to play football during that minute. 

Agree. Applause before the game ONLY.

34 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

I agree that the impact on the game is weird. The game does often seem to go a bit flat to me. What happens if there is a significant incident. If the away team scores and their fans go crazy are they seen as disrespectful, are the home fans really going to sit and carry on clapping as we concede. What about a controversial refereeing incident or crazy tackle by an opponent, when the fans all jump up and start shouting at the ref.

I like the idea of marking the passing of fans once a year at a particular game. I think the club need to take a lead on it. The challenge is they probably need to make the announcement when there isn't a call for on or hasn't just been on as that would probably provoke a negative reaction. But I imagine everyone at the club is busy and this feels like a minor issue, so when there isn't someone currently asking for one, the whole issue drops out of minds.

I quite like the memorial game idea. You could offer the family’s a chance to write a wee obituary and include them all in the match day programme. Which would give them plenty of time to organise it. Make the memorial game a friendly and put a significant portion of the takings towards a charity cause (e.g MND or back into the local community via big hearts) 

19 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Or worse, we concede.. 

Or concede a penalty:jj_facepalm:Would be difficult to commit to the full minute.

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Surely when, not if? :peepwall:

I too would much prefer a "memorial" game set up. A number of clubs down south do this and seems well received. 

I have an immortality complex.

AlphonseCapone

This. 

Italian Lambretta

Isn't the Memorial garden for this purpose?

A Hearts fan sadly passes away and the family stick a plaque on the wall to remember them.

No need for a round of applause during the game.

Good idea.

Pasquale for King

I like the idea of once a season for all the fans who have sadly passed away, there are quite a few every year unfortunately of all ages it seems. 

Naisys Tackle

Can we not suggest to the FoH to invest money for a big screen or two in the corners like down the road where it would be easily enough to have a remembrance applause at half time with the names on the screen? The rest of the time it can show the game, which will be great for VAR and sponsorship 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Can we not suggest to the FoH to invest money for a big screen or two in the corners like down the road where it would be easily enough to have a remembrance applause at half time with the names on the screen? The rest of the time it can show the game, which will be great for VAR and sponsorship 

Or pictures, be like the hunger games 

Kalamazoo Jambo
2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Wigan had one for a duck a few weeks back because the duck had the same name as a well known fan and there was initially some confusion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-send-keith-the-duck-off-in-style-3363589%3famp

Had to look this one up. Great story.