Unbeaten teams

mickycameron98

47 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

Only 5 teams remain unbeaten out of the 134 English and Scottish League teams....and 2 of them are Hearts! 

2?

4 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Found myself checking the Bournemouth score but they won one nil at Stoke

Much as I’d love us to outlast them all , I do like seeing the re-emergence of Queens Park toward the upper tiers of the Scottish Leagues. Teams like them and Kelty may even help to push the top division to a bigger size in the next few years.

6 hours ago, sadj said:

Much as I’d love us to outlast them all , I do like seeing the re-emergence of Queens Park toward the upper tiers of the Scottish Leagues. Teams like them and Kelty may even help to push the top division to a bigger size in the next few years.

Meh,

Teams propped up by cash offer little imo.

Queens Park have the obvious history and romance, but basically no fanbase.

We need the like of Airdrie and Ayr to re- emerge. Add Morton. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Meh,

Well in an ideal world id like to see Third Lanark climb back up the ranks but….😝

I know what you mean but stripping money away the romantic idea of a competitive Queens Park is a nice one. Yes it would be nice to see the teams you’ve mentioned re-emerge but I think thats unlikely. A bottleneck of teams with money may at least force the question to be asked about a larger top division. As long as the St Johnstones , St Mirrens , Ross Countys and Livi’s keep the need for 3full stands of OF fans I think its an impossibility to get traction for a larger top league. That in turn to me would offer the chance of a more competitive title race. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Meh,

It's strange that recently clubs with little support eg Hamilton and Livi have held their own in the top flight while clubs with decent support eg Falkirk, Dunfermline and Partick have struggled.

Maroon Sailor

And then there were 4

Euan Henderson scoring in the 90th and 93rd minute as Alloa beat Queen's Park 4-3

The White Cockade

Problem with being unbeaten these days is 3 points for a win 

You are better off losing the odd game and winning the others than staying unbeaten and drawing a lot of games

6 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

You are better off losing the odd game and winning the others than staying unbeaten and drawing a lot of games

Indeed. I imagine we would be top under the old system. 

14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Indeed. I imagine we would be top under the old system. 

We would be second by 1 point i think

Fozzyonthefence
33 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Also, I think sometimes there is too much emphasis on the unbeaten run and teams are happy with the draw to keep the run going which can become a negative rather than just trying to win games. 

Unbeaten but drawing every game would make us 8th in the league today? Although the would obviously effect the consequent positions of other teams who would have lost points to us, but I can't be arsed doing all the permutations. Point is the difference between winning and being unbeaten though...

Said on another thread. Unbeaten is pish. 5 draws 5 points. 
5 games but only win 2 is 6 points. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

If we are still unbeaten on Sunday I'll be delighted.  4 points would be a good return but I'm expecting 6.  2-0 and 2-1.

1 hour ago, Smoked-Glass said:

1-1 at home v Dundee is not something that should be celebrated as a part of a run. 

Shyte

Nonsense, we drew with the vermin a few times on the way to 22. If the run is an "unbeaten" one then a draw counts.

2 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Indeed. I’d rather we focussed on beating shite like Aberdeen, Hubs and Dundee than worrying about avoiding defeat.

August Landmesser

Unbeaten is ok depending on who fails to beat us - Hibs, Aberdeen, Rangers, Dundee Utd, Celtic have all failed to win against us, which means we're still in touching distance or ahead of them all. Drawing with Ross County, Dundee is annoying, but not catastrophic as neither of them are our rivals, and both have also taken points off Hibs & Aberdeen, and Dundee nearly took points off Rangers.

Also, it's still only ten games in, and we will learn from the dropped points.

We're going to finish third at worst.

Hackney Hearts
26 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Unbeaten runs don’t win you the league…

Interesting. How often has an unbeaten team not won the league? (I don't know the answer)

3 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Interesting. How often has an unbeaten team not won the league? (I don't know the answer)

That’s the sort of record Hearts tend to get. 😄

Of course I think there is zero chance we will complete the season unbeaten. 

1 minute ago, innerjambo said:

They can also get you relegated. 

I doubt any team has ever gone through a season unbeaten and been relegated without some points section or similar. 😄

Hackney Hearts
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

That’s the sort of record Hearts tend to get. 😄

Of course I think there is zero chance we will complete the season unbeaten. 

Oh ye of little faith! 

I suspect it may never have happened - although a quick check reveals that Celtic came very close in 1995-96 when they only lost 1 match, and were second behind guess who, who lost 3 matches. The gap was 4 points, so even if they'd avoided defeat in that one match, they would still have missed out on the title. 

27 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Oh ye of little faith! 

I suspect it may never have happened - although a quick check reveals that Celtic came very close in 1995-96 when they only lost 1 match, and were second behind guess who, who lost 3 matches. The gap was 4 points, so even if they'd avoided defeat in that one match, they would still have missed out on the title. 

The game they lost was against guess who. If they had won that game they would have finished top. You're right though if they'd drawn it.

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

Unbeaten is ok depending on who fails to beat us - Hibs, Aberdeen, Rangers, Dundee Utd, Celtic have all failed to win against us, which means we're still in touching distance or ahead of them all. Drawing with Ross County, Dundee is annoying, but not catastrophic as neither of them are our rivals, and both have also taken points off Hibs & Aberdeen, and Dundee nearly took points off Rangers.

Also, it's still only ten games in, and we will learn from the dropped points.

We're going to finish third at worst.

Strongly agree with your final point.  I will be very disappointed and honestly surprised if we finish below third.  

We haven't got where we are through luck.  If anything we are unlucky nor to have picked up more points.  Hitting the woodwork twice on Saturday is a small example.

If we can maintain our form and start finding the back of the net more often, we are in for very exciting times.

Agree that the draws are killing us in the league at the minute but it's never a bad thing to be unbeaten, momentum goes a long way in any sport, would much rather be where we are than h1b5 or motherwell for example, we just need to start turning those draws into wins and we will laughing, I felt in at least 3 of the games we've drawn we should have won, aberdeen, county and dundee, the other two were fair draws imo against h1b5 and sevco.

Let's hope we can get a wee run of wins on the go, starting with saints on Wednesday.

8 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Agree that the draws are killing us in the league at the minute but it's never a bad thing to be unbeaten, momentum goes a long way in any sport, would much rather be where we are than h1b5 or motherwell for example, we just need to start turning those draws into wins and we will laughing, I felt in at least 3 of the games we've drawn we should have won, aberdeen, county and dundee, the other two were fair draws imo against h1b5 and sevco.

Let's hope we can get a wee run of wins on the go, starting with saints on Wednesday.

Agree with most of that except "killing us". We're sitting in second place after 10 games.

9 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

In 1967-68 Celtic broke our points record with 63 and Rangers finished with 61. Rangers were unbeaten till their last game when they lost 3-2 at Ibrox to Aberdeen (on Cup Final day when we lost to the Pars). If they had won, Celtic would still have won the league with a win in their rearranged game with Dunfermline (they won 2-1 anyway) due to better goal difference.

Rangers had 5 draws and Celtic only 3 (Rangers won one derby and the other was a draw).

I suppose close to your scenario but not quite, all the same

10 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Bayer Leverkusen finished second undefeated in the early 2000s I’m sure 

11 hours ago, Cut The Crap said:

Indeed. I’d rather we focussed on beating shite like Aberdeen, Hubs and Dundee than worrying about avoiding defeat.

Do you really think that we've played in any game to avoid defeat? There was certainly no evidence of it on Saturday or against Hibs. We were holding on a bit against Aberdeen after they equalised but that was more about them improving than us settling for the draw I would say.

After so many crap years from Hearts, it is weird that so many fans want to find negatives in anything. No one is arguing that we shouldn't want to beat Dundee at home, but there really is nothing wrong with enjoying the fact we are unbeaten and in second place after 10 games. I think some people have forgotten football is meant to be about enjoyment.

16 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

No. They lost titles from winning positions a couple of times. In 2000 they needed just a draw in their final game but lost. But in neither season were they unbeaten.

19 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

They lost 7 times when they finished 2nd in 2002 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Do you really think that we've played in any game to avoid defeat? There was certainly no evidence of it on Saturday or against Hibs. We were holding on a bit against Aberdeen after they equalised but that was more about them improving than us settling for the draw I would say.

After so many crap years from Hearts, it is weird that so many fans want to find negatives in anything. No one is arguing that we shouldn't want to beat Dundee at home, but there really is nothing wrong with enjoying the fact we are unbeaten and in second place after 10 games. I think some people have forgotten football is meant to be about enjoyment.

This

4 wins for the whole of the season last time in the Premiership

5 wins from the first 8 this season

If we had a prolific goalscorer like Robbo we'd probably be on 26 points