Tripe

Morgan

Dick Dastardly
6 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

My gran gave me tripe years ago, must admit i like it, the wee dark bits are the best, was cooked in onions and a gravy with mashed tatties, lovely, need to get some again, if possible.

A guy i used to work with swore by tripe and sweet breads. He used to get them straight from the slaughterhouse. 

PortyJambo

I can't stand tripe, only had it the once when my mum cooked it for my dad, but it was a definite never again after that. Not a fan of liver and kidneys either, but I do like sweetbreads and love a nice bit of ox tongue. I had a starter dish from Scran and Scallie a while ago that was ox tongue and it was delicious, far superior to the cold ox tongue for sandwiches that you can get from supermarkets.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

I can't stand tripe, only had it the once when my mum cooked it for my dad, but it was a definite never again after that. Not a fan of liver and kidneys either, but I do like sweetbreads and love a nice bit of ox tongue. I had a starter dish from Scran and Scallie a while ago that was ox tongue and it was delicious, far superior to the cold ox tongue for sandwiches that you can get from supermarkets.

I've never tried sweetbreads but i believe they are lovely but i suppose that depends on which ones you get. The neck glands are the ones my friend used to rave about. The thought of eating tongue makes me feel a bit squeamish. 

Riccarton3

My mother used to make it but only 2 out of 5 ate it from recollection. What a stink! Perhaps the other 3 were on the veal cutlets, possibly liver, most certainly mince n tatties.

Konrad von Carstein

There's a Polish dish, Flaki, which is tripe,  had a wee taste of it in a restaurant in Warsaw. Very nice and presented very differently to the stinking boak inducing stuff my mum made, it was finely chopped in a rich gravy.

The White Cockade

White tripe in milk with potatoes and onions was brilliant when my mum made it 50 years ago but not really had it since except in the works canteen once but it had white sauce in it and was disgusting 

On 06/06/2022 at 09:49, PortyJambo said:

Ox tongue tacos at El Cartel are superb.

PortyJambo
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Ox tongue tacos at El Cartel are superb.

Will need to watch out for them next time I'm there, love an El Cartel taco.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

White tripe in milk with potatoes and onions was brilliant when my mum made it 50 years ago but not really had it since except in the works canteen once but it had white sauce in it and was disgusting 

That’s the last time I possibly ate the stuff.

It was brilliant.

I’m sure it took hours to cook.

The White Cockade
4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s the last time I possibly ate the stuff.

It was brilliant.

I’m sure it took hours to cook.

Aye took hours and stank the house out but worth it in the end 😂

The Real Maroonblood
24 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Aye took hours and stank the house out but worth it in the end 😂

This.