Tripe

Morgan

13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

As mentioned in the Porridge thread by @Harry Potter and by @Jamstomorrow .

Who likes tripe, how do you cook it and what do you serve it with?

A bit of gastronomy in the Shed never hurt anyone.  😎

Google is your friend for recipe's, Morgan.

36 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Do not touch this offal food with a barge pole. It smells disgusting, and tastes even worse.

Seymour M Hersh

My mum used to enjoy tripe occasionally and if I remember correctly she simmered it in milk with salt & pepper and that was about it. Used the cooking broth as a sauce over it. 

Tripe is up there with Balut, Century Eggs, Casu Martzu, Hakarl and other such things.

Nobody actually enjoys them.

Eating those vile foods is only ever some sort of pathetic attempt to prove something to someone.

The only thing I can say about it is at least it's not chitterlings, which I haven't personally experienced, but am reliably informed smell like cooked shite. It's the cooked shite that does it

Cairneyhill Jambo

My mum used to make tripe with milk, onions, and plenty of black pepper served in a bowl with floury potatoes such as golden wonder. 

Fantastic on a cold winters night. 

This thread brings back memories of it slithering down the throat.  Evil stuff.  

Do folk still have kidneys in their steak pies?   Another food stuff that makes you boak just thinking about it.   

47 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

My mum used to make tripe with milk, onions, and plenty of black pepper served in a bowl with floury potatoes such as golden wonder. 

Fantastic on a cold winters night. 

I used to get the same recipe at my grans when I was wee - they told me it was chicken! Never liked it though. 

Trippa alla Romana is a favourite in Rome. They love their offal in Italy. 

50 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The only thing I can say about it is at least it's not chitterlings, which I haven't personally experienced, but am reliably informed smell like cooked shite. It's the cooked shite that does it

I knew I'd left something off my list.

Andouillette, a sausage made of pig intestines. 
Apparently it smells and tastes of shite.

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

I knew I'd left something off my list.

Andouillette, a sausage made of pig intestines. 
Apparently it smells and tastes of shite.

I’m in the seemingly lucky position, based on a lot of posts on this thread, of not knowing what shite tastes like. 

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

We used to get ours from the local butcher in Corstorphine. My mum then chopped it up and boiled it I think. Stunk out the house. 

Then it was put in another pot with onions, boiled potatoes, milk and seasoned with salt and pepper. 

Served like a soup and I ate multiple bowls of the stuff. 

Delicious.

This hmmmmm

My other memory of tripe was that of my grannie took me into Leith to go shopping there would be a trip to the offal butcher on Duke Street. I hated that place, to a kid everything they sold looked disgusting. 

manaliveits105

Plato de chorizo de callos y garbanzos

had this tapas in Spain recently was delish

tripe with chorizo and chick peas in a peppery sauce 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Accidentally ordered it once in China. Had only been there a few weeks and had started to recognise basic characters. Recognised 炒 and 牛 on a menu, and knew it was 'fried' and 'cow'. Thought I'd ordered some kind of tasty fried beef dish with - in my mind - strips of lovely lean beef.

Got fried tripe.

Very quickly learned the relevant character for stomach and never made that mistake again.

I also ordered it by mistake in a bar in Barcelona. There was no menu, so I just pointed at what I thought was potatoes in a tomato and pepper sauce; it wasn't potatoes though...  :ermm:

Another time, Spanish friends ordered-up a plate of grilled lambs' intestines for us try as a dare. They were actually OK, as they were wound around a skewer with herbs and grilled until they were crispy: they really just tasted of lamb. 

Салатные палочки
3 hours ago, felix said:

I've got trypophobia. Can't even look at the stuff !

Same here. The look of the stuff alone gives me the fear. 

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

:thumbsup:

Callos was a big favourite tapa of ours when we lived in Barcelona.

They did it with, as you say, garbanzos but in a tomato sauce.

1 hour ago, Angel eyes said:

Tripe I’ll raise you…..POTTED HEID……get in8-C48-C80-C-4013-4748-AE16-C6546-A96-DC5

That looks evil.  Is that basic potted meat or the more deluxe stuff?  

Wasn't it also known as potted haw? (Sp?)  

Potted Hough is beef jelly containing beef shreds, usually shin.

Brawn is pork jelly containing pork head meat.

Potted heid can be either beef or pork, and is head meat.

Edited by Cade

N Lincs Jambo

Tripe has to be the single most disgusting food in the western world. My mother loved it and tried to make me eat it. The texture was so revolting it made me chuck instantly. Even thinking about it writing this post is making me quesy. 

I used to cut it out the cows stomach back in the day and hand it into my grandad 

Grandad used to then cook it in huge pots, he’d then put it in containers and take it down to the club to give to his mates for a pint in return 

Never had it , never seen it , never want it ! ? 😂😂

63B134AB-3CAB-487B-8BAA-5D421CE12573.jpeg

Edited by JamesM48

8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Never had it , never seen it , never want it ! ? 😂😂

63B134AB-3CAB-487B-8BAA-5D421CE12573.jpeg

This..always thought it was a North of England  food.

Def not a central belt thing.

11 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’m in the seemingly lucky position, based on a lot of posts on this thread, of not knowing what shite tastes like. 

I know what shite looks like . . . . 

HibernianDirect_MPU1.jpg

14 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Anything with chorizo is delicious, even shit tubes

Sawdust Caesar
20 hours ago, Tazio said:

My other memory of tripe was that of my grannie took me into Leith to go shopping there would be a trip to the offal butcher on Duke Street. I hated that place, to a kid everything they sold looked disgusting. 

I went to school at Leith Academy and the smell coming from that shop was disgusting. On my way to/from school I would hold my breath and sprint passed the shop.

16 hours ago, Tott said:

Do they not feed it to greyhounds or whippets or summat, in tit north?

• 7 months later...
On 19/10/2021 at 18:33, Tazio said:

That shop belonged to my grandad William Aikman.  I would be sent there as a kid every Saturday morning to get meat inc tripe . You are right it looked disgusting and it was. If you thought it looked bad in the shop window you should have had a look in the back where the cows heads were hanging on racks. All skinned ready for the tongues to be cut out and the cheeks to be bared of meat. Their eyes wide open staring at you .  The tripe was kept in cold water in two sinks near the back window. Nothing went to waste. The scraps were chopped up and mixed up in a steel bath and sold for dog meat.  It was stinking right enough . 

Raw, green unwashed tripe, the best dog food there is, bloody expensive now though, I used to get it for £1 per full ox tripe from the slaughter house at Saugton, ****in stinks mind!!!

On 20/10/2021 at 00:02, Tott said:

I've seen it for sale at Bury Market, all the different parts of the stomachs, and also John Cooper Clarks finest line of poetry, to quote no lesser authority than the great man himself, from "Trouble at Mall"

Edited by Dawnrazor

7 minutes ago, Dut57 said:

image.jpeg.01e708687dd6e469f04b893b10bdf84c.jpegThis is my uncle Bill cutting a cows tongue out 

Tongue is lovely, I keep all my Deer tongues and press them into a terrine. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Tongue is lovely, I keep all my Deer tongues and press them into a terrine. 

You have an interesting life

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You have an interesting life

Yep, and an interesting freezer full of free range, organic, wild free food with virtually no "food miles"👍

Edited by Dawnrazor

On 19/10/2021 at 16:29, Morgan said:

Imagine my surprise when this turned out NOT to be a thread about a significant percentage of the content of the Shed.  :runaway: 

My dad's side of the family love it. The days I've spent in their house smelling that honking boiling meat smell still gives me nightmares. 

I'm all for not wasting food, but anything that takes 24 hours to cook to make it still fecking inedible is off my list! 

Edited by Aaron78

Jambo_jim2001

I used to go out with a girl whose parents boiled that stuff to feed to their Afghan hounds🤢🤢

Wonfiveone

Tripe - best to buy it precooked from a butcher, otherwise it takes a long time to clean and cook the stomachs even with a pressure cooker. Yummy.

7 hours ago, Dut57 said:

image.jpeg.01e708687dd6e469f04b893b10bdf84c.jpegThis is my uncle Bill cutting a cows tongue out 

Used to pick his stuff up at the slaughterhouse in Chester. 
Aikman and Stanley butchers were the biggest buyers of offal back in the day 

Edited by theshed

Jamstomorrow
On 19/10/2021 at 17:07, John Findlay said:

Do not touch this offal food with a barge pole. It smells disgusting, and tastes even worse.

This!   My granny used to make it and I would eat because it was expected.   Not any more.   Yuck!

Dick Dastardly

I love a bit of liver and kidney but I've never tried tripe. I can remember being repulsed by the smell as a child when my parents ate it. If someone made me a plateful i would give it a bash but I'm not going to go out of my way to taste it 

Skip to about 4.30.  
was never sure if tripe was on the go or my mum was boiling my wee sisters nappies.  Similar look and smell. 

Harry Potter
50 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I love a bit of liver and kidney but I've never tried tripe. I can remember being repulsed by the smell as a child when my parents ate it. If someone made me a plateful i would give it a bash but I'm not going to go out of my way to taste it 

My gran gave me tripe years ago, must admit i like it, the wee dark bits are the best, was cooked in onions and a gravy with mashed tatties, lovely, need to get some again, if possible.