Jump to content

Hearts Programmes


Ked

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, henryheart said:

The programme is effectively kept going by the likes of Gary Cowan, Bill Smith and David Speed (in no particular order) with their fantastic articles on the history of the club, and long may it continue. The programme has gone downhill since lockdown but would not take much to bring it back; the design is excellent but it is a bit on the thin side.

 

The best programmes are those that are produced lovingly by supporters, with Aberdeen, Dumbarton and Edinburgh City being prime examples. Hibs have brought in new Heads of Communication and Digital and Content, neither of whom had any previous association with the club and are purely focused on new technology, and have an owner with no background of attending matches over many years, so the demise of their programme cannot really be a surprise. Hearts are completely different.  I would hope that with Hearts being the biggest supporter owned club, the FOH would use it's membership resource to give us the programme that could make good money through increased advertising and increased sales. If a club like Dumbarton can produce a programme packed with reading and that covers its costs, then surely we can produce one making a decent profit?  

 

 

This year's programme is a massive improvement on last.

Edinburgh City's is the best I've seen in years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Diadora Van Basten

I think the demise of cash will affect programme sales. Nowadays the only person I pay cash to is my window cleaner.

 

I think a vending machine with card payments inside the ground would be more appealing.

 

Also now people can get a WiFi signal in the ground means they have an alternative to a programme.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor
16 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Edinburgh City's is the best I've seen in years.

 

It is 

 

I think they have the balance right with club news and fan orientation

 

It's like a combined programme / fanzine 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2021 at 23:38, Jambo92 said:

Used to love them as a kid, now I don't bother, never have cash and it always gets crumpled up or left in a pub on occasions I have bought one.  As others have said if it £1 or something would make the effort to buy as a token gesture.  Over the years programmes have turned into a beauty pageant, who can be the glossiest, who can have the most pages etc. which has driven up cost.  Would love just a 10pager.

A lot of relevant points here. As the years have gone bye what was always a 12 pager became bigger in size, glossier, more adverts, arty-farty design (this season's back page is utter crap!) and stupid themes (movies a few years back was horrendous) and full colour. 

 

What is needed is consistency and simplicity. Gives fans the basics - recent game reviews and photos, season stats, the squads, visitor information, league table, forthcoming games, history articles, adverts which cover most or all of the costs and then a price which is realistic and folk will pay £1 or £2 - just one coin needed. 

 

The programme has always been a simple way of having a record of the club history and needs to survive - but on a realistic basis. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Drew said:

A lot of relevant points here. As the years have gone bye what was always a 12 pager became bigger in size, glossier, more adverts, arty-farty design (this season's back page is utter crap!) and stupid themes (movies a few years back was horrendous) and full colour. 

 

What is needed is consistency and simplicity. Gives fans the basics - recent game reviews and photos, season stats, the squads, visitor information, league table, forthcoming games, history articles, adverts which cover most or all of the costs and then a price which is realistic and folk will pay £1 or £2 - just one coin needed. 

 

The programme has always been a simple way of having a record of the club history and needs to survive - but on a realistic basis. 

 

Well said.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty life left in the Heart programme, some new contributors and articles being added as the season goes on.  It only costs the same as a pint so why not get a copy next game and support it.

 

2024 will be the centenary of the first Hearts programme (season 1924-25 and has been produced every single season since then outwith the war years, one of the oldest in Scotland, if not the oldest), a great tradition which is part of the club and it would be a real shame to see it die-off through neglect, lets not follow the Hobos.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Plenty life left in the Heart programme, some new contributors and articles being added as the season goes on.  It only costs the same as a pint so why not get a copy next game and support it.

 

2024 will be the centenary of the first Hearts programme (season 1924-25 and has been produced every single season since then outwith the war years, one of the oldest in Scotland, if not the oldest), a great tradition which is part of the club and it would be a real shame to see it die-off through neglect, lets not follow the Hobos.

 

 

I'm going to start.

And where are you getting a pint at 3.50?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ked said:

I'm going to start.

And where are you getting a pint at 3.50?

 

Good stuff. 

My local bowling club! however it's a good point, the programme is less than the cost of a pint in Embra.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

 

Good stuff. 

My local bowling club! however it's a good point, the programme is less than the cost of a pint in Embra.

Definitely.

Even a shite pint of Tenants is over 4 quid.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Chuck Berry said:

Plenty life left in the Heart programme, some new contributors and articles being added as the season goes on.  It only costs the same as a pint so why not get a copy next game and support it.

 

2024 will be the centenary of the first Hearts programme (season 1924-25 and has been produced every single season since then outwith the war years, one of the oldest in Scotland, if not the oldest), a great tradition which is part of the club and it would be a real shame to see it die-off through neglect, lets not follow the Hobos.

 

 

And more importantly we as a club will be 150 years old 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

And more importantly we as a club will be 150 years old 

 

As good a reason as any to make sure we keep the programme going and improve it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Plenty life left in the Heart programme, some new contributors and articles being added as the season goes on.  It only costs the same as a pint so why not get a copy next game and support it.

 

2024 will be the centenary of the first Hearts programme (season 1924-25 and has been produced every single season since then outwith the war years, one of the oldest in Scotland, if not the oldest), a great tradition which is part of the club and it would be a real shame to see it die-off through neglect, lets not follow the Hobos.

 

 

 

If the club can't give the fans a special 150 years anniversary book I'd like to think they would then produce a seasons worth of programmes bursting with images that we've never seen before coupled with another look at our history, yeah I know the club have done it before but hopefully they can do a slightly different angled look at the 150 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/10/2021 at 18:47, Hearts Heritage said:

We had a programme seller in the Museum who sold them when he was a boy back in the late 1940s early 1950s.

The programme then cost 2d. He said a lot of buyers would give him a threepenny bit and say keep the change. A whole penny profit!

 

C8K8DfxW4AAXzCA.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
FinnBarr Saunders
4 hours ago, Ked said:

I'm going to start.

And where are you getting a pint at 3.50?

 

 

 

I get a pint in my local for £3.20, albeit not the toon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fxxx the SPFL
10 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

 

As good a reason as any to make sure we keep the programme going and improve it.

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember the half time score boards? I know I’m showing my age but I remember you had to buy a programmes to check the half time scores. Tynecastle had the best half time score board at the back of the Gorgie Rd terrace.  Supporters used to gather round anyone with a programme to ask what the 2-0 against B was. A programme was a must in those days 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

 

I get a pint in my local for £3.20, albeit not the toon.

I dont know anywhere for under 4 .

Seriously cannot think of one boozer.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Das Viertel Hearts

The programme is a slice of personal family history...when it comes down to it!!!  Many become priceless artefacts of memory which for those who have them value and the great/sad/joyful/despairing stories invariably wrapped up in them!!!  We should go against the grain and continue ours for those who would like them and add to the cost of a ticket...buttons in cost...but part of the this our story and this is our song!!! Impo

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Das Viertel Hearts said:

The programme is a slice of personal family history...when it comes down to it!!!  Many become priceless artefacts of memory which for those who have them value and the great/sad/joyful/despairing stories invariably wrapped up in them!!!  We should go against the grain and continue ours for those who would like them and add to the cost of a ticket...buttons in cost...but part of the this our story and this is our song!!! Impo

Agreed

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Inchgarvie said:

Remember the half time score boards? I know I’m showing my age but I remember you had to buy a programmes to check the half time scores. Tynecastle had the best half time score board at the back of the Gorgie Rd terrace.  Supporters used to gather round anyone with a programme to ask what the 2-0 against B was. A programme was a must in those days 

 

20210827_183326.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor
26 minutes ago, dannymack said:

 

20210827_183326.jpg

 

Pretty sure that scoreboard was still in use late 70s and possibly early 80s

 

I remember the anticipation when the letter defining the Hibs match numbers went up on it especially if they put the 0 in the Hibs part up first

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

 

Pretty sure that scoreboard was still in use late 70s and possibly early 80s

 

I remember the anticipation when the letter defining the Hibs match numbers went up on it especially if they put the 0 in the Hibs part up first

It was. I started in the late 70s and remember it going for a few years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Brilliant, thanks for that. Have ordered one in case it is pouring down on Saturday. Dundee will be my first Hearts game since we beat Rangers 2-1 prior to the pandemic and feels particularly important that I have a physical copy of this one for that very reason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

 

Pretty sure that scoreboard was still in use late 70s and possibly early 80s

 

I remember the anticipation when the letter defining the Hibs match numbers went up on it especially if they put the 0 in the Hibs part up first

Definitely in place for 1980/81 season but not in use for 1982/83 season, advertising covered the lettered guide.

The A B C guide was listed for 1981/82 season but im sure Radio Hearts gave us the pleasure of a rundown of the Half Time scores, stand to be corrected on that.

 

Bobby Robinson against Morton September 1980 with the A B C in the Gorgie Road End.

 

 

20211018_005938.jpg

20211018_005925.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

You would have that with the millions Hibs are going to take in for selling their current bevy of superstars, they could afford to keep their programme going.

 

Maybe they are the financial excrement.  I certainly hope so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/10/2021 at 10:37, Alex MacDonald said:

Collected 872 home programmes since 1973, and loved watching them evolve. Space and storage becoming an issue so time to sell a few seasons on ebay, but keeping all the special games and European ties.

IMG_6714a.JPG

 

Awesome mate 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jambo Ell said:

Brilliant, thanks for that. Have ordered one in case it is pouring down on Saturday. Dundee will be my first Hearts game since we beat Rangers 2-1 prior to the pandemic and feels particularly important that I have a physical copy of this one for that very reason. 

 

Good to hear. As I said previously, programmes IMO are as important to a club as their badge, their colours, their history etc.  It's part of going to football for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...