Jump to content

Hearts Programmes


Ked

Recommended Posts

With Hibs stopping theirs does anyone know how many we sell?

 

I have not bought one for ages.

Last time I got them I'm sure we were doing film based ones which were decent.

 

Are they any good atm and do any of you know if they are economically viable?

Nice to slag off hibs about this but does Ron have a point?

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ked said:

With Hibs stopping theirs does anyone know how many we sell?

 

I have not bought one for ages.

Last time I got them I'm sure we were doing film based ones which were decent.

 

Are they any good atm and do any of you know if they are economically viable?

Nice to slag off hibs about this but does Ron have a point?

I think it’s inevitable that they will stop as I imagine sales will continue to decline. The programme used to be one of the few places you could get club news but now there’s just so many other ways to do it. 
 

Shame, but it will go the way of the rattle and the rosette imo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor

Used as evidence you were at the game back in the day !

 

No need to even do that now due to tickets

 

£3.50 a pop now I don't see many paper copies being sold as they have them online.

 

Only a matter of time before the physical version bites the dust or a vastly reduced print. I don't think they appeal to the under 30s anymore

 

Edinburgh City have got a decent programme

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Used as evidence you were at the game back in the day !

 

No need to even do that now due to tickets

 

£3.50 a pop now I don't see many paper copies being sold as they have them online.

 

Only a matter of time before the physical version bites the dust or a vastly reduced print. I don't think they appeal to the under 30s anymore

 

Edinburgh City have got a decent programme

 My 13 year old laddie always gets me to buy a programme. He likes them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love buying a programme.  Never look at it at the ground, but will read it in detail on the train home.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think it’s inevitable that they will stop as I imagine sales will continue to decline. The programme used to be one of the few places you could get club news but now there’s just so many other ways to do it. 
 

Shame, but it will go the way of the rattle and the rosette imo. 

Is there not a guy in either section A or B that has a rattle ?.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Robbies Tackle

I get one primarily to identify an apposition player by number.  It's something I've always done.   Suppose I could use my phone but it's no the same. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
queensferryjambo

I don't think there is much money in the programmes, but things like match sponsor, match ball sponsor, player sponsorship are all part of the match day programme. All good money in for the club so I think worth keeping.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We're already putting it up online for free every week, it seems the end is nigh!

 

I only really buy "special edition" type ones now, semi's, finals, anniversary of something, last game with the old main stand, etc. There're a lot of people like that as well I think so could see print runs being limited to those occasions, and even on a pre order basis to gauge interest, in the not to distant future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
3 hours ago, Ked said:

With Hibs stopping theirs does anyone know how many we sell?

 

I have not bought one for ages.

Last time I got them I'm sure we were doing film based ones which were decent.

 

Are they any good atm and do any of you know if they are economically viable?

Nice to slag off hibs about this but does Ron have a point?

 

Hibs are still doing theirs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had about 100 programmes from the 80s but gave them all to my nephew last week.

 

All I've bought in the last 30 years or so are final and semi final programmes.

 

Read about Hibs discontinuing them and I reckon Hearts will do the same eventually.

 

Never really thought they were terribly interesting, anyway. A quick 10 min skim through at half time is all they were good for. Precious little content and most of it bland.

 

Much preferred fanzines. Had loads of them from 86 onwards but they, too, are now cluttering up my sisters hoose instead of ours. 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, been here before said:

 

Hibs are still doing theirs.

According to .net. they're not.  Replacing them with a quarterly mag.

 

Was surprised to read on there that the haven't been selling them on matchdays.  Can't understand that.

 

Hope we keep ours going.  I treasure my collection which goes back to the '50s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandyk said:

I love buying a programme.  Never look at it at the ground, but will read it in detail on the train home.

 

 

This is what I do too 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, been here before said:

 

Hibs are still doing theirs.

No they're not. They're replacing their programs with a quarterly club magazine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it still OK to have 10 pints before the game or is that woke now.  Carrot juice and lettuce?

 

All these old traditions which included buying a programme.  In the '70s, the programme was better than the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 trying to upload a few. Anyone any idea what error code - 200 is. There league Cup final 1958, 59, 61, 62

Edited by Gordon463
Link to post
Share on other sites
Kalamazoo Jambo
7 minutes ago, Gordon463 said:

 trying to upload a few. Anyone any idea what error code - 200 is. There league Cup final 1958, 59, 61, 62


I believe it’s because the photo file size is too large.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Gordon463 said:

 trying to upload a few. Anyone any idea what error code - 200 is. There league Cup final 1958, 59, 61, 62

Max size of 1Mb for each file. Reduce them and try again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Max size of 1Mb for each file. Reduce them and try again. 

Cant get it to work i was only going to show the 50s plus programs ive been left . Hibs semi

9against stade reims in 55 as well. Think real Madrid etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Percival King

I've been getting a programme for every match since my first game back in 1974. It'll be a pity if they stop producing a hard copy but the end does seem nigh. In recent years the programmes have had a lot of space devoted to the history of our great club and I find that interesting. This season they're looking at the history of Tynecastle, which is really interesting, and a look at some of our old strips. I'd rather read about that than what Liam Boyce's favourite pizza topping is. I fully expect my kids to throw my almost 50 years of programmes in a skip without a moments thought when I die, followed by my old Hearts tops, dear oh dear.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like them, it’s part of the experience and gives you something to keep occupied with before kick off. 
 

Maybe there is a way to drive down the cost if more advertising was included? 
 

Hope we keep it, it’s a nice memento of the game/ day out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Das Viertel Hearts
8 hours ago, sandyk said:

I love buying a programme.  Never look at it at the ground, but will read it in detail on the train home.

 

 

 

This indeed and then 30 odd years later when your going through cupboards !!! Eternal joy givers!! 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Das Viertel Hearts said:

 

This indeed and then 30 odd years later when your going through cupboards !!! Eternal joy givers!! 😀

Absolutely. Got over 2000. Spent some time in lockdown cataloging them and sorting into finals/europeans/spec friendlies. Better than watching that fud Joe Wickes 😄. Who mentioned OCD? Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Francis Albert
8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I think it’s inevitable that they will stop as I imagine sales will continue to decline. The programme used to be one of the few places you could get club news but now there’s just so many other ways to do it. 
 

Shame, but it will go the way of the rattle and the rosette imo. 

Not to mention the Saturday pink News.

Or green Dispatch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I buy a programme every game, but can't think of the last time I actually read one of them :lol:

 

I like to keep them as a memory, got absolutely loads of them in the cupboard and enjoy having a wee skim through them whenever I'm moving house or pretending to have a clear out. 

 

I'll miss them, but they are definitely going to be a thing of the past.  Shame, because digital versions of things are pants, would much prefer to have a version I can hold and keep for the future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to love them as a kid, now I don't bother, never have cash and it always gets crumpled up or left in a pub on occasions I have bought one.  As others have said if it £1 or something would make the effort to buy as a token gesture.  Over the years programmes have turned into a beauty pageant, who can be the glossiest, who can have the most pages etc. which has driven up cost.  Would love just a 10pager.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to get one every game (sorry dad) but donated a whole storage box full a few years ago to the amazing folk who sold them in the gorgie suite

 

Kept hold of special editions such as cup finals and player tribute ones. But the only ones I tend to get nowadays are either the rememberance match, or European games. Will always get one for Hearts european matches and have a relatively decent collection of European stuff but don’t overly bother much now 

 

that said I got the kids a programme from their first match so when they are older they have a momento 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Das Viertel Hearts said:

 

This indeed and then 30 odd years later when your going through cupboards !!! Eternal joy givers!! 😀

Exactly this!  Plastic bags full of the things! :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's a long time since programmes made any money for a club of our size. If they're carefully managed they might break even, but I think they're mostly kept as a loss leader to maintain traditions and 'enrich the match day experience'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Alex MacDonald

Collected 872 home programmes since 1973, and loved watching them evolve. Space and storage becoming an issue so time to sell a few seasons on ebay, but keeping all the special games and European ties.

IMG_6714a.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Percival King said:

I've been getting a programme for every match since my first game back in 1974. It'll be a pity if they stop producing a hard copy but the end does seem nigh. In recent years the programmes have had a lot of space devoted to the history of our great club and I find that interesting. This season they're looking at the history of Tynecastle, which is really interesting, and a look at some of our old strips. I'd rather read about that than what Liam Boyce's favourite pizza topping is. I fully expect my kids to throw my almost 50 years of programmes in a skip without a moments thought when I die, followed by my old Hearts tops, dear oh dear.

Get a will done stopping them!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fort Vallance
20 hours ago, sandyk said:

I love buying a programme.  Never look at it at the ground, but will read it in detail on the train home.

 

 

Snap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fort Vallance
26 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What can a programme seller expect to make ?

When I sold them back in late 60's you got 5% but more importantly got in for nothing. Missed the first 15 minutes while they counted the cash though. 5% at £3.50 a pop would be decent. But I doubt they sell as many as we did.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The programme is effectively kept going by the likes of Gary Cowan, Bill Smith and David Speed (in no particular order) with their fantastic articles on the history of the club, and long may it continue. The programme has gone downhill since lockdown but would not take much to bring it back; the design is excellent but it is a bit on the thin side.

 

The best programmes are those that are produced lovingly by supporters, with Aberdeen, Dumbarton and Edinburgh City being prime examples. Hibs have brought in new Heads of Communication and Digital and Content, neither of whom had any previous association with the club and are purely focused on new technology, and have an owner with no background of attending matches over many years, so the demise of their programme cannot really be a surprise. Hearts are completely different.  I would hope that with Hearts being the biggest supporter owned club, the FOH would use it's membership resource to give us the programme that could make good money through increased advertising and increased sales. If a club like Dumbarton can produce a programme packed with reading and that covers its costs, then surely we can produce one making a decent profit?  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Seymour M Hersh
13 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Not to mention the Saturday pink News.

Or green Dispatch. 

 

So don't mention the vermin dispatch then. ::troll::

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, henryheart said:

The programme is effectively kept going by the likes of Gary Cowan, Bill Smith and David Speed (in no particular order) with their fantastic articles on the history of the club, and long may it continue. The programme has gone downhill since lockdown but would not take much to bring it back; the design is excellent but it is a bit on the thin side.

 

The best programmes are those that are produced lovingly by supporters, with Aberdeen, Dumbarton and Edinburgh City being prime examples. Hibs have brought in new Heads of Communication and Digital and Content, neither of whom had any previous association with the club and are purely focused on new technology, and have an owner with no background of attending matches over many years, so the demise of their programme cannot really be a surprise. Hearts are completely different.  I would hope that with Hearts being the biggest supporter owned club, the FOH would use it's membership resource to give us the programme that could make good money through increased advertising and increased sales. If a club like Dumbarton can produce a programme packed with reading and that covers its costs, then surely we can produce one making a decent profit?  

 

 

 

Yeah I was impressed with the Edinburgh City programme and you can tell it was fan orientated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here part of the day out get a programme but unfortunately they’re mostly full of adverts yes I know that’s how the club makes money but the football content is in decline in the programme.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot

Most mass  print will be dead at some point in the near future. 

 

Hopefully the Mail and Sun go  first but football programmes will follow. 

 

I have only bought 1 each jn the past 3 seasons, just so I have 1 from that season on record. 

Got a fair collection in 80's including a number of away games. 

 

This seasons might be worth a few Bob in the future, Champions season.🏆

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Francis Albert

One of my favourite birthday presents was a programme from the first match after I was born. Hearts v Hamilton in a league cup group match which Hearts won 5-O. One from Conn and a double each from Wardhaugh and Bauld. 

I will miss hard print ... an internet image isn't the same.

It is a bit like photos. When you had a roll of 24 to get printed you treasured them. Now you take hundreds of  pictures and store them  and then never look at them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Francis Albert
5 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

 

So don't mention the vermin dispatch then. ::troll::

I am not sure there was an absolute sectarian divide between the pink and green. Both had decent sports journalists who could actually write and both covered the two Edinburgh clubs fairly evenly. Renton Laidlaw who became more famous in golf circles later and died recently was a big Hibs fan but wrote for the News on football in his early years. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I always preferred fanzines. Programmes are best when you wait 30 years before looking at them 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
Francis Albert
23 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

I always preferred fanzines. Programmes are best when you wait 30 years before looking at them 😄

Probably true. But didn't the internet pretty much kill off fanzines before it did programmes? Used to be a large shop off the Charing Cross Road in prime real estate London that sold fanzines from all over the UK including NIT and ATB. Long gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hearts Heritage
8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What can a programme seller expect to make ?

We had a programme seller in the Museum who sold them when he was a boy back in the late 1940s early 1950s.

The programme then cost 2d. He said a lot of buyers would give him a threepenny bit and say keep the change. A whole penny profit!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2021 at 13:37, davemclaren said:

I think it’s inevitable that they will stop as I imagine sales will continue to decline. The programme used to be one of the few places you could get club news but now there’s just so many other ways to do it. 
 

Shame, but it will go the way of the rattle and the rosette imo. 

Mr McLaren, you remember the rosette and RATTLE... Older than this old guy bro. 😨

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...