Andy in as Hibs boss swaps keepers ahead of InterTattieclash

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Andy in as Hibs boss swaps keepers ahead of InterTattieclash

IN CONTROL: Andy McNeil:tumbleweed:

Published Date: 09 July 2008

By DAVID HARDIE

HIBS boss Mixu Paatelainen today revealed goalkeeper Andy McNeil will start Saturday's InterToto Cup clash with IF Elfsborg in Sweden after being left on the bench for the first leg.

McNeil will be one of a number of changes as Hibs attempt to overcome a two-goal deficit on the plastic pitch at the Boras Arena, with Paatelainen again stressing the importance of these games to his side's pre-season preparations.:rolleyes:

Although Scotland under-21 goalkeeper McNeil played the final six matches of last season, Paatelainen opted to hand Yves Ma-Kalambay the gloves for the visit of Elfsborg.

However, today Paatelainen insisted no-one should read anything into the fact he'd given Belgian under-21 star Ma-Kalambay the first chance to impress.:107years:

He said: "People should not think Andy is second choice or Yves is No.1.I decided that Yves would start last Sunday and Andy would play in the second game.

"These matches, although they are competitive games, are part of our preparation for the new SPL season and I want to make sure both of our goalkeepers are ready for it.":107years:

Paatelainen admitted that, like a number of other players who didn't start last weekend, McNeil was disappointed, but revealed that some of them will be much happier this time round.:107years:

He said: "There will be a few changes and the boys know that. I also think it is important as many as possible gain experience playing against European opposition; that's another reason why we entered this competition.:

"It's quite a difficult situation. It's European competition and, while we are taking these games as seriously as any other, we are preparing for our season and players need match time."

At the back of Paatelainen's mind, however, is the fact that Ma-Kalambay could miss the start of the new season if he is called up by Belgium :eek:for next month's Olympic Games in China.

Ma-Kalambay missed the final game of last season as he joined his nation's Olympic squad, but Paatelainen won't be informed until next Tuesday as to whether or not his giant goalkeeper will be heading east.:107years:

The football competition begins on August 6, just three days before Hibs travel to meet Kilmarnock on the opening day of the SPL season, and runs to August 23 which could mean Ma-Kalambay also missing matches against Falkirk and Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Paatelainen, however, insisted Hibs had plenty of cover with McNeil, David Grof and Zibi Malkowski on the books, although he revealed he'd like to send teenage Grof out on loan for a season.

The young Hungarian is entering his third season at Easter Road, but hasn't managed to get any further than the bench which Paatelainen believes is stifling his progress.:P

He said: "I think it would be good for David's development to go out on loan for a year and then come back better off for the experience. It is something we are working on."

Meanwhile, Paatelainen was today putting his squad through their paces on the artificial surface at the club's training centre in preparation for playing on plastic in Sweden.

He said: "It's totally different so we'll have a couple of sessions to give the players a feel for it.:P I'm not a fan of plastic pitches, but they are allowed so we are not complaining, we'll just get on with it."

so the flair and the hobo way is no good on plastic pitches eh and feck, what a choice of goalies eh.:)

Guest JamboRobbo

So Mixu ain't gonna sign any duds, but he's happy to play the ones that are already there?

maroonlegions
So Mixu ain't gonna sign any duds, but he's happy to play the ones that are already there?

and that my friend is the hobo way of reasoning , scary eh, muppets.:107years:

maroonlegions
lapel_pin_Mr_Potato_Head.jpg

iif mixu keeps this up he will soon be known as "porky heid", for all the porkies he is telling eh, will not sign DUD players, bit late with mcneil and calamity.:107years:

Archived