Taking The Knee

frankblack

Francis Albert
On 26/09/2021 at 19:57, south morroccan said:

It's not and you know it's not. 

And taking the knee is s.. all  to do with Black Lives Matter.

BLM is not Marxist? One of its aims is to overthrow capitalism. Which unless you are an anarchist is about as Marxist as you can get. Fair enough it is a legitimate aim but support from multi-millionaire footballers with massive salaries and sponsorship from the cream of capitalist enterprises seems a little incongruous to me.

Edited by Francis Albert

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smoked-Glass

• davemclaren

• sadj

• Forever Hearts

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

BLM is not Marxist? One of its aims is to overthrow capitalism. Which unless you are an anarchist is about as Marxist as you can get. Fair enough it is a legitimate aim but support from multi-millionaire footballers with massive salaries and sponsorship from the cream of capitalist enterprises seems a little incongruous to me.

It's not an exclusively Marxist aim, so pretty wide of the mark to say "see - Marxism!"

By the way, if you can tell me where it says overthrow capitalism I'd be grateful

https://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

35 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

3 percent in UK - slightly higher in England. Under-represented in managerial and coaching roles in football but not I think in playing staff. Asians are however massively under-represented in all aspects of football.

The Asian statistic is certainly an interesting one. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's not an exclusively Marxist aim, so pretty wide of the mark to say "see - Marxism!"

By the way, if you can tell me where it says overthrow capitalism I'd be grateful

He’s just making stuff up. Of course it isn’t Marxist. I’d add that BLM is more of a loose knit movement than one particular organization, but the website you refer to is probably a reasonable proxy for the broader movement.

On 27/09/2021 at 04:08, Smithee said:

What aspects of Marxism particularly bother you and how are these manifested in BLM exactly?

A lot in BLM think they are Marxist and think the beliefs they hold mesh well with BLM. Perhaps you should sit down with those people and ask them your question. I did. 

2 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

A lot in BLM think they are Marxist and think the beliefs they hold mesh well with BLM. Perhaps you should sit down with those people and ask them your question. I did. 

Did ye aye?

1 minute ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Defunding the police is one of BLM aims. 

No question they are Marxist but some people like that.

No it isn't.

5 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Defunding the police is one of BLM aims

You know its not defund them completely , what they want is some reduction in money to police in order to increase money to say education or housing , things that could help to keep communities safer

17 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Black people to cops in America: “please stop murdering us”

Random Kickbackers: “Marxists!”

:icon14:

20 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Black people to cops in America: “please stop murdering us”

Random Kickbackers: “Marxists!”

Random, or fairly predictable?

7 minutes ago, sadj said:

You know its not defund them completely , what they want is some reduction in money to police in order to increase money to say education or housing , things that could help to keep communities safer

Excuse my ignorance, how would reducing money to the police help to make communities in the USA safer?

American police will always carry firearms, therefore they will always shoot people.

Edited by John Findlay

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Your link to one bit of recruitment and "sales," propaganda is hardly a conclusive and exhaustive description of the diverse movement that comes under the BLM label. I did not mean to suggest it s exclusively Marxist but it has certainly has been a significant influence on the broad BLM movement since it began. I think it can be all things to many people whose views and interests are very diverse. Which is a wee bit dangerous IMO. Especially when any criticism of BLM is seen as evidence of racism and lack of feeling for police brutality and other suffering of black people.

Oh and the language of that link is simplistic and trite. 

Edited by Francis Albert

1 hour ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Defunding the police is one of BLM aims. 

Black Lives Matter organisation is very different from using the term Black Lives Matter.

The term is intended to highlight racism and discrimination and inequality experienced by black people. It's never been about the Marxist organisation, that's deflationary tactics to discredit the movement.

Of course black lives matter, every life matters. I watched the riots over the Minnesota killing, I thought the police actions that day were contemptible, and I suspect much of the motivation was the dead mans skin color. However I could understand the parades and demonstrations to protest the cruel death, but what I could not understand was the primarily African American people who used the actions as an opportunity to damage property, and break in to retail stores and with smiles and cheers depart waving their stolen goods. The burning of buildings in Oregon and Washington States again was primarily racially motivated with white bureaucracies the victims.

I had no problem or argument with the black football players who took a knee during the playing of the National Anthem, it was a gesture making the best use of their fame and publicity, I find it a wee bit funny  football players  in Scotland taking a knee because of racist bias, when from my memory of attending Scottish football games the religious bigotry and insults cast, and the violence in some cases ensuing was never even given an occasional embarrassed blush. 

SpruceBringsteen

The press tried to hound a mildly left of centre politician entirely out of public life (if not worse), so I'd rest easy and loosen your neck bolts if you think creeping Marxism is even remotely an issue :lol:

Francis Albert
37 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

The press tried to hound a mildly left of centre politician entirely out of public life (if not worse), so I'd rest easy and loosen your neck bolts if you think creeping Marxism is even remotely an issue :lol:

Who?

Forever Hearts
15 hours ago, davemclaren said:

The Asian statistic is certainly an interesting one. 

I'm not sure it is to be honest. The Asian lads I know are far more into cricket than football and the Asian kids in my town rarely play football. 

3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I'm not sure it is to be honest. The Asian lads I know are far more into cricket than football and the Asian kids in my town rarely play football. 

Fair enough. 

17 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Excuse my ignorance, how would reducing money to the police help to make communities in the USA safer?

American police will always carry firearms, therefore they will always shoot people.

Sorry John never saw this. Im not sure of the ins and outs just thats what they state. I think if you google it you’d get something on their website. At a guess possibly its the thought process of education and the like being improved the more destitute areas to help people to become less impoverished and/or get out of those areas and improve their own living situation therby reducing crime levels. (Didnt explain that well but hopefully you get what I mean)

42 minutes ago, sadj said:

Sorry John never saw this. Im not sure of the ins and outs just thats what they state. I think if you google it you’d get something on their website. At a guess possibly its the thought process of education and the like being improved the more destitute areas to help people to become less impoverished and/or get out of those areas and improve their own living situation therby reducing crime levels. (Didnt explain that well but hopefully you get what I mean)

I get what you mean. Personally I think it's the cops that need the educating more.