Taking The Knee

frankblack

Have Hearts spoken about why we don't do this?  Just curious, as it just looks strange when the other team takes the knee while we stand as per Livi yesterday.

I can see both sides to the argument, just wondering if Hearts have explained their reasoning for not doing it?  Gut feel would be the players have discussed it and decided against.

One of these games I could see the other support giving us some stick so it would be nice to clear it up.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smoked-Glass

• davemclaren

• sadj

• Forever Hearts

Pretty sure they came out and publicly said they spoke to the players and the players voted to stop doing it.

Was a fair wee while ago now I think.

Just now, Barack said:

I'm sure it's been discussed within the team. Beni was also standing.

Stand Up To Racism is also a thing. 

That is what stood out to me, with Beni standing tall while Livi kneeled.

My own opinion is that the message has been lost now, and it does look strange when one team is doing it and the other standing.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

My own opinion is that the message has been lost now, and it does look strange when one team is doing it and the other standing.

It’s kinda become the done thing.

Bit pointless, however if an individual feels the need then I hope they’re respected for doing so.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Regardless of anyone’’s views on it it can’t really carry on forever. 

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

A few black players in England have stopped doing it.

Reece James stood yesterday. Zaha at Palace too. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

A few black players in England have stopped doing it.

Reece James stood yesterday. Zaha at Palace too. 

Yes - I've noticed that in a few games, and think these players feel they are making more of a point by not doing it, which is their right.

Worthless symbolism imported from the US. I for one am quite happy that as a club we don’t just go with the flow on it too. As a club we can do other more worthy things to display our opposition to racism and more importantly in this country the scourge of bigotry. I don’t care if us not doing it looks strange. I could just as easily turn that argument around and say it looks strange in doing it!

16 minutes ago, JamboBoy said:

Worthless symbolism imported from the US. I for one am quite happy that as a club we don’t just go with the flow on it too. As a club we can do other more worthy things to display our opposition to racism and more importantly in this country the scourge of bigotry. I don’t care if us not doing it looks strange. I could just as easily turn that argument around and say it looks strange in doing it!

Like a lot of the bollocks we import from the good ol US of A.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

A few of the Livvy players never got back up again.

And if you want to end racism in football, you call people out and ensure you do your bit if you do hear/read something. The knee thing has been done and is now redundant, a bit like the poor guy that started the whole thing.

Much better with a big placard with % of black coaches on it.

(Its something like 2% in England)

22 minutes ago, JamboBoy said:

I wouldn't call it worthless, taking the knee got us talking about racism where "show racism the red card" and other toothless campaigns like it failed. Not to mention, it was galvanised by the utter dogs abuse those England players got after the final - so although it was "started" in the US it was employed here for the same reasons, so inherently I think it was necessary (after all, if "show racism the red card" and other campaigns had made a difference then it wouldn't have been necessary).

Probably an unpopular opinion with a number of our supporters (although not really on this board thankfully) but just once I'd like to see our club issue a statement about singing Hello Hello - I'm getting ****ing sick of it lol.

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not getting into the ins and outs too much but there is a huge number of high quality black players. What is the reasoning they dont move into coaching. Do they choose not to , is the route difficult to go down due to owners not employing them , is it that they choose not to do their badges because they dont get accepted on the courses… Would be interesting to know. 

Earlier in the season some of our players kneeled, while the black players chose to stand.  It’s obviously been discussed in the changing room and they’ve decided to stand as a team.

I don’t have an issue with if the players want to do it. However I’ve always had a niggling thought at the back of my mind that there is no way every player we’ve seen do it over the last year or so isn’t doing it because they believe it but because they are told to. 

I think we took the knee against Celtic but I remember noticing Ginnelly and Beningime both stayed standing.

After that game I've not noticed us taking the knee any more.

28 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Like a lot of the bollocks we import from the good ol US of A.

In the US they were making the point of kneeling during the anthem, which is part of why it got traction and why it wasn't something that needed added in.

Then when it started over here it began in league games where there is no anthem. But then we got to the Euros and the kneeling was still done separately to God Save the Queen or the Corries.

Basically, we've not even imported it properly.

As long as broadcasters keep mentioning it then it'll continue to be highlighted in some form.

I tend just to switch off from it now as it became the norm

These sorts of thing should always be about freedom of choice - no need to explain why you do or don't do it. If it is not this way then it is totally self-defeating.

My own opinion is that they are meaningless tokenism. Would be nice to think that it might influence even one racist to stop being so, but I reckon it just reinforces whatever views they have instead.

Edited by Spellczech

1 hour ago, Barack said:

I could be corrected here, but I am sure Beni has never taken the knee.

Berra than you
18 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

As long as broadcasters keep mentioning it then it'll continue to be highlighted in some form.

I tend just to switch off from it now as it became the norm

I think this is important with the broadcasters. I seem to recall after the kamara incident alot of Scottish teams were choosing to stand. At the end of the day it's up to the players to discuss as a group.

1 hour ago, Barack said:

About a year of taking the knee has made its point, lets leave it alone now ? Point has been made, there's other clubs don't do it , there's no need for explanation,   let's move on ....

Haven't heard the players speaking about it.  Taking the knee is tokenism, not the worst kind as it does no harm and spreads a positive message.  But doing it, along with kick racism out type displays, while ignoring blatant sectarianism and other bigotry makes the whole thing feel like a waste of time.  Maybe I'm too cynical.

14 minutes ago, Barack said:

Personally, not bothered what they do. Can do cartwheels for racism, if they wish.

Would rather just get the football on the goWealthy 

Exactly, don't see why this thing was brought into football , or any other sport?  Keep political things out of sport especially football...

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I don’t have an issue with if the players want to do it. However I’ve always had a niggling thought at the back of my mind that there is no way every player we’ve seen do it over the last year or so isn’t doing it because they believe it but because they are told to. 

Agree with this, a lot of players probably went along with what is the done thing amid pressure from the media. It’s run it’s course highlighting it  on the football field now imo and it’s up to the authorities that run our game to come down hard on people or clubs to help eradicate it. 

joondalupjambo

Did I not read somewhere that online abuse and racism had increased against black players after taking the knee started? 

My problem with all the online stuff is you get 1000 positive posts and 10 negative ones then the media go ballistic about the 10 instead of focusing on the 1000.

To be honest, i've never really seen the point of it. Yes, it's shows a bit of solidarity, i get that but let's face it, if anyone wanted to be involved in any sort of racism then a wee bend on the knee isn't going to make a jot of difference. People can still do something if they feel they want to. Remember years ago, the "show racism the red card" campaigns? Here we are years on from that and it's still around. The wee bend down on the knee will be seen as worthless if, some 10-15 years further on, racism is still a problem. It's up to society politically and morally to highlight it, not competitive sports venues.

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Regardless of anyone’’s views on it it can’t really carry on forever. 

That's where I'm at aswell Dave! It's run it's course now and time to move on from this taking the knee nonsense and anytime somebody caught being racist throw the book at them because racism really is a cancer within society 

First league game of the season against Celtic Beni and Gino both remained standing while the rest of our team took the knee.

I'd assume there were discussions within the team after that and the white players were rightly happy to follow their lead and advice.

2 hours ago, jambonian said:

To be honest, i've never really seen the point of it. Yes, it's shows a bit of solidarity, i get that but let's face it, if anyone wanted to be involved in any sort of racism then a wee bend on the knee isn't going to make a jot of difference. People can still do something if they feel they want to. Remember years ago, the "show racism the red card" campaigns? Here we are years on from that and it's still around. The wee bend down on the knee will be seen as worthless if, some 10-15 years further on, racism is still a problem. It's up to society politically and morally to highlight it, not competitive sports venues.

It might still be around but it's nothing like as bad.

I" m sure campaigns like the red card one helped.

All these things have a natural lifespan though and I think taking the knee should go.

4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Why? If you are good enough you will get the opportunity.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Equality of outcome is a completely different matter and issue in regards to discrimination of any kind. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Barack said:

Personally, not bothered what they do. Can do cartwheels for racism, if they wish.

Would rather just get the football on the go. 

I'd like to see that. 

Or Do a boogie for racism, a wee dance would be good. 

Although we'd Likley lose folk to injury.

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

Have Hearts spoken about why we don't do this?  Just curious, as it just looks strange when the other team takes the knee while we stand as per Livi yesterday.

I can see both sides to the argument, just wondering if Hearts have explained their reasoning for not doing it?  Gut feel would be the players have discussed it and decided against.

One of these games I could see the other support giving us some stick so it would be nice to clear it up.

Glad our team don’t feel they have to take part in this sham. Cancel Culture Tam White. 

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

I Don’t think anyone needs to justify why they are not taking part or why they are kneeling. To be honest I think it’s ran it’s course last season in the premier league aye for a few games but no every week. Livingston are doing it purely because Marvin Bartley no doubt in his new role with the SFA . 

I couldn’t give a toss about it I’m there to watch Hearts and football not interested in anything to do with Racism, Politics, Religion 

2 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I Don’t think anyone needs to justify why they are not taking part or why they are kneeling. To be honest I think it’s ran it’s course last season in the premier league aye for a few games but no every week. Livingston are doing it purely because Marvin Bartley no doubt in his new role with the SFA . 

I couldn’t give a toss about it I’m there to watch Hearts and football not interested in anything to do with Racism, Politics, Religion 

well said

3 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

To me, either both teams do it or neither does as it looks stupid in the case of yesterday with one team kneeling while we have our team featuring Beni standing.  Time the SFA binned it if this persists I think.

AlphonseCapone
11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

To me, either both teams do it or neither does as it looks stupid in the case of yesterday with one team kneeling while we have our team featuring Beni standing.  Time the SFA binned it if this persists I think.

Don't agree with that, the SFA should have no say in whether a club does or doesn't imo, leave that to the clubs. I wouldn't let the SFA arbitrate an eating contest, never mind a moral debate. 

Ex member of the SaS

With the BLM shown up using cash to by Million dollar houses it's something we should be distancing from. Woke symbolism that has no place in sport.

south morroccan
4 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

BLM is a Marxist organisation. 

I'm glad if we continued to not take the knee. 

It's not and you know it's not. 

And taking the knee is s.. all  to do with Black Lives Matter.

4 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

BLM is a Marxist organisation. 

I'm glad if we continued to not take the knee. 

I don’t want to devolve into political mudslinging so I’ll just ask that you please never reiterate this absolute dross ever again.