Taking The Knee

frankblack

AlphonseCapone
48 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

With the BLM shown up using cash to by Million dollar houses it's something we should be distancing from. Woke symbolism that has no place in sport.

Taking a knee isn't owned or even started by the BLM organisation. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smoked-Glass

• davemclaren

• sadj

• Forever Hearts

4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I hope there are no visitors from other club’s boards here because some of the nonsense being regurgitated in this thread (like the one you replied to) is an absolute shameful embarrassment. 

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

With the BLM shown up using cash to by Million dollar houses it's something we should be distancing from. Woke symbolism that has no place in sport.

I genuinely burst out laughing at this. Thanks mate, I know you didn't mean it, but this was pretty funny :laugh:

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Double post.

Edited by Nunya Business

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Yeah, that’s definitely how it works everywhere. 

Look at the EPL… plenty foreign managers and coaches. Whilst some fans have an issue with Foreigners don’t see any signs of that at clubs these days. 
If you are good enough you will succeed…. How many white English managers in the EPL…. 
Your skin colour makes no difference regarding if you will succeed or fail as a coach or manager.

10 hours ago, escobri said:

Was late in so never seen it, if all our players stood then I'm pwoud of them, if the Livi players kneeled then a belated boo will have to do. Boooooo

Yes. A quick boo is now appropriate. 

11 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

True but it was presented and wholly accepted as the reason for taking the knee when the EPL restarted last year. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11661/12012757/black-lives-matter-premier-league-clubs-send-powerful-message-by-taking-a-knee

Bazzas right boot

How about the teams and players do what they want in regards to this and everyone that's not involved with it just chill out and not tell others what they should and shouldn't do on the matter. 

A_A wehatethehibs

It’s cult like behaviour creating some kind of obligation to perform a particular performative act. I don’t agree with it. Comes across as some kind of psy op to be honest. It’s fake.

Our club is against racism and actions speak louder than words eg. the fine dished out to Zlamal.

That pre existing zero tolerance approach is sufficient and existed before the taking a knee / George flloyd thing. A daily protest against American police brutality is not an appropriate thing for British football, thankfully we will move on from this meme, except social media cult followers who are free to continue it if they choose. Just as catholics are free to do their blessing thing, or Muslims can kneel and do their prayer thing, or any other religion or cult. Meanwhile we’ll exercise rational thought. It’s a free country and something like that shouldn’t be some mandatory thing on such a regular basis. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

17 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

BLM is a Marxist organisation. 

I'm glad if we continued to not take the knee. 

What aspects of Marxism particularly bother you and how are these manifested in BLM exactly?

I reckon the entire racism issue has been completely eradicated now due to months of taking the knee. It’s served it’s purpose, done a great job and we should now move on in beautiful multi cultural harmony 😟

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It’s cult like behaviour creating some kind of obligation to perform a particular performative act. I don’t agree with it. Comes across as some kind of psy op to be honest. It’s fake.

Our club is against racism and actions speak louder than words eg. the fine dished out to Zlamal.

That pre existing zero tolerance approach is sufficient and existed before the taking a knee / George flloyd thing. A daily protest against American police brutality is not an appropriate thing for British football, thankfully we will move on from this meme, except social media cult followers who are free to continue it if they choose. Just as catholics are free to do their blessing thing, or Muslims can kneel and do their prayer thing, or any other religion or cult. Meanwhile we’ll exercise rational thought. It’s a free country and something like that shouldn’t be some mandatory thing on such a regular basis. 

Except it’s clearly not mandatory. 

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Except it’s clearly not mandatory. 

It is in effect, because it became this thing where you’re labelled a racist if you choose not to do it. That’s the case in England. 

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Have you ever suffered racial abuse?

I have no problems with it but I just wish on this side of the Atlantic they would just call it 'kneeling'. 'Taking a knee' sounds like something Loyalist or Republican thugs do with baseball bats to people they don't agree with.

23 hours ago, sadj said:

Not getting into the ins and outs too much but there is a huge number of high quality black players. What is the reasoning they dont move into coaching. Do they choose not to , is the route difficult to go down due to owners not employing them , is it that they choose not to do their badges because they dont get accepted on the courses… Would be interesting to know. 

Indeed.      If there is a reluctance to appoint black coaches/managers in pro clubs, it might be an unfortunate result of the modern tendency by owners of  big clubs to appoint highly experienced & successful managers from abroad in their quest to win trophies and reap the big money rewards.    The likes of Klopp, Pep, Tuchel etc .... and Ange and Stevie G in Scotland.    Going down a level, the tendency seems to be ex-players or take a chance on a left-field guy - Robbie, Glass, Goodwin or Courts.

All white, but it's a  fairly small pool of candidates in the first place - and most end up getting sacked at one club and then get a job at another club fairly quickly, so the "bias" just gets repeated. The "bias" probably isn't racial.

Viera will be a gamble for Palace in the same way Cathro was a gamble for us.

Fair play to Steve Clarke for sticking with coaches he trusted that weren't white though - Dyer & Reid.

21 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Indeed.      If there is a reluctance to appoint black coaches/managers in pro clubs, it might be an unfortunate result of the modern tendency by owners of  big clubs to appoint highly experienced & successful managers from abroad in their quest to win trophies and reap the big money rewards.    The likes of Klopp, Pep, Tuchel etc .... and Ange and Stevie G in Scotland.    Going down a level, the tendency seems to be ex-players or take a chance on a left-field guy - Robbie, Glass, Goodwin or Courts.

All white, but it's a  fairly small pool of candidates in the first place - and most end up getting sacked at one club and then get a job at another club fairly quickly, so the "bias" just gets repeated. The "bias" probably isn't racial.

Viera will be a gamble for Palace in the same way Cathro was a gamble for us.

Fair play to Steve Clarke for sticking with coaches he trusted that weren't white though - Dyer & Reid.

With the amount of money in the game I genuinely doubt a club would not try and get the best available regardless of skin colour. Cash is king nowadays.

20 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

With the amount of money in the game I genuinely doubt a club would not try and get the best available regardless of skin colour. Cash is king nowadays.

very much so… success is colour blind.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

Have you ever suffered racial abuse?

I support the core message of Black Lives Matter which is a campaign against brutal violent policing which disproportionately targets minorities in the United States of America. 

I do not support a groupthink mandated physical gesture before every football game forever as a “general anti racism gesture” or whatever it’s morphing into.

See the social media boycott relating to social media racism. I was fully behind that. Target toxic social media directly. But it only lasted 1 pathetic day. The knee thing is so throwaway and ineffectual. Why doesn’t everyone go on the other knee as well to say “we are against child rape” oh you’re against something that’s already a serious crime. Right. 

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

It is a game of football not a political statement.

So why are some players still being racially abused if it's just a game of football?   

You've got to admire players supporting those who are still on the receiving end.  

Forever Hearts
On 26/09/2021 at 12:34, Mikey1874 said:

Much better with a big placard with % of black coaches on it.

(Its something like 2% in England)

What percentage of the population do black people make up in England? 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

It'll be interesting to compare this thread with the ones in November when some teams and some players don't have poppies on their shirts. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Here's an idea. Close this thread. 

🤣

Kneel to close the thread?

JkbTM? 

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I support the core message of Black Lives Matter which is a campaign against brutal violent policing which disproportionately targets minorities in the United States of America. 

I do not support a groupthink mandated physical gesture before every football game forever as a “general anti racism gesture” or whatever it’s morphing into.

See the social media boycott relating to social media racism. I was fully behind that. Target toxic social media directly. But it only lasted 1 pathetic day. The knee thing is so throwaway and ineffectual. Why doesn’t everyone go on the other knee as well to say “we are against child rape” oh you’re against something that’s already a serious crime. Right. 

None of which is an answer to my question.

It's a matter of personal choice surely. 

If a player wants to take the knee then what's the harm ? 

I would question the motives of anyone booing a player taking the knee. 

It's no different to a player crossing himself. 

As long as its not done to provoke a reaction. 

A_A wehatethehibs
33 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

None of which is an answer to my question.

Why would I answer a sarcastic rhetorical question? 

7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

It is a game of football not a political statement.

Should we stop Baningime from praying every time he steps foot on the field? It's a game of football not a place of worship after all.

Politics was ingrained in football as soon as players started getting an absolute whipping of racist abuse, on and off the pitch. When the hate stops, the calls for action will stop; it's as simple as that.

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Why would I answer a sarcastic rhetorical question? 

It was a genuine question. I wanted to know if you'd ever suffered racist abuse.

1 hour ago, Halliphax said:

Should we stop Baningime from praying every time he steps foot on the field? It's a game of football not a place of worship after all.

Politics was ingrained in football as soon as players started getting an absolute whipping of racist abuse, on and off the pitch. When the hate stops, the calls for action will stop; it's as simple as that.

You're talking to someone who's a big fan of Tommy Robinson. You're not going to get a coherent answer from him on this subject.

On 26/09/2021 at 20:38, davemclaren said:

Yeah, that’s definitely how it works everywhere. 

You can't cure stupid. No point even trying.

On 26/09/2021 at 19:38, Ex member of the SaS said:

This is the sort of comment that highlights the lack of progress in society.  Brendon Batson (ex West Brom) was on TV this morning saying that the people that boo or dismiss the essence of what is a gesture of unity, is actually worse than racism itself.  

Forever Hearts
10 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

This is the sort of comment that highlights the lack of progress in society.  Brendon Batson (ex West Brom) was on TV this morning saying that the people that boo or dismiss the essence of what is a gesture of unity, is actually worse than racism itself.  

How long will football players be taking the knee for? 

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

As long as any of them want to I  would imagine. 

It seems played out now and has lost its impact. Hence the reason loads of players have stopped doing it. 

4 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Why don't you ask a footballer who is taking to kneeling.

13 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

It seems played out now and has lost its impact. Hence the reason loads of players have stopped doing it. 

I wouldn’t disagree. 

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Really? I am totally gobsmacked.

No doubt you know loads of footballers personally. Proper in the know.🙄

Dennis Reynolds

Same folk on here moaning about players taking the knee will be the same folk on here who foam at the mouth when players don't wear a poppy.

Edited by LMc

16 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I don't know any. Next stupid question? 

How about we just highlight an existing one?

5 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Francis Albert
On 27/09/2021 at 16:22, Forever Hearts said:

What percentage of the population do black people make up in England? 

3 percent in UK - slightly higher in England. Under-represented in managerial and coaching roles in football but not I think in playing staff. Asians are however massively under-represented in all aspects of football.

1 hour ago, LMc said:

Same folk on here moaning about players taking the knee will be the same folk on here who foam at the mouth when players don't wear a poppy.

Guaranteed.