Expectation Levels

wanderer

I have only recently been back on Kickback, I must say I lost the love of football during the pandemic when there were no crowds in attendance. Last game I actually watched was the 2-2 draw with St Liedoon. Since this season started I must admit I am absolutely loving the football being back and it is great to see people back in the stands. One thing I am really finding incredible though is the amount of posters on here who have been having a go at the team/Robbie.

I am very aware that there are probably a fair share of antagonists out there, or I certainly hope that is the case as in all honesty, I haven't been as positive about a Hearts Squad since the Romanov days. We are 6 games in and unbeaten. I wonder if people think we have a divine right to turn up and get 3 points? On the games we have dropped points, on another day, we could of strolled it against Hibs and Ross County but came up against 2 inspired Goalkeepers.  Aberdeen was a bad day at the office. 

I think given the opening results, it shows how little there is actually between any of the teams up the top end and I actually think that is brilliant for Scottish football. Rangers and Celtic are nothing to fear and I get the feeling Hearts will continue to build a really exciting squad in coming seasons. There is so much positivity around the club and I think some of the expectation levels are being set against that. 

We are now on our 3rd major rebuild in about 4 seasons but I think once this team gels, its going to be even more exciting. We wont win every game and will be disappointed when we don't but that is just football. Look at how far we have come. 

9 minutes ago, wigwam123 said:

I have only recently been back on Kickback, I must say I lost the love of football during the pandemic when there were no crowds in attendance. Last game I actually watched was the 2-2 draw with St Liedoon. Since this season started I must admit I am absolutely loving the football being back and it is great to see people back in the stands. One thing I am really finding incredible though is the amount of posters on here who have been having a go at the team/Robbie.

I am very aware that there are probably a fair share of antagonists out there, or I certainly hope that is the case as in all honesty, I haven't been as positive about a Hearts Squad since the Romanov days. We are 6 games in and unbeaten. I wonder if people think we have a divine right to turn up and get 3 points? On the games we have dropped points, on another day, we could of strolled it against Hibs and Ross County but came up against 2 inspired Goalkeepers.  Aberdeen was a bad day at the office. 

I think given the opening results, it shows how little there is actually between any of the teams up the top end and I actually think that is brilliant for Scottish football. Rangers and Celtic are nothing to fear and I get the feeling Hearts will continue to build a really exciting squad in coming seasons. There is so much positivity around the club and I think some of the expectation levels are being set against that. 

We are now on our 3rd major rebuild in about 4 seasons but I think once this team gels, its going to be even more exciting. We wont win every game and will be disappointed when we don't but that is just football. Look at how far we have come. 

Similar feeling to me, I did watch the games last season, they always felt like they were a meanings to an end.

Onwards and upwards this season so far and hopefully that continues 

Edited by brux

Spot on. I admit i was really fed up during the Brora fiasco and thought we weren't making any progress. I'm at the stage now where I'm pretty happy with our squad and excited by our future. Still need a RWB and a left sided CB in my opinion 

The feel good is helped by most of the signings being an improvement so far.  Jury is out on Moore but you can't judge a player on 150 mins.  Him apart every signing looks good including a 20 min Devlin cameo, again too early to judge him on 20 mins though 

It’s a great start and we look like we can improve further. After getting sucked right in after the start Levein had a few seasons ago I’m trying to keep my expectations low (it’s not easy though).

Old cliche but no easy games. I watched the Scumdee Derby and two fit, aggressive teams well matched and obviously St Liedown, Motherwell, Livingston and Ross County all getting good results against the top sides shows anyone can beat anyone else on their day. Can see the league being won with a record low points total this season so important to hang in there. 

42 minutes ago, wigwam123 said:

Are you not a fan of the style guru?

Only pulling your leg, although the jury is still out for me with regards to RN.

Recruitment has been good and I feel a lot more bouyant than I have since we first came out od administration.

My concerns, lack of cutting edge and still loose defending.

All games (other than Celtic) we have dominated possession, which is great, we are improving, so my concerns may lessen week by week.

12 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

Old cliche but no easy games. I watched the Scumdee Derby and two fit, aggressive teams well matched and obviously St Liedown, Motherwell, Livingston and Ross County all getting good results against the top sides shows anyone can beat anyone else on their day. Can see the league being won with a record low points total this season so important to hang in there. 

I actually really enjoyed the Roundabout Derby. It was a good game. Good advert for Scottish Football.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Only pulling your leg, although the jury is still out for me with regards to RN.

Recruitment has been good and I feel a lot more bouyant than I have since we first came out od administration.

My concerns, lack of cutting edge and still loose defending.

All games (other than Celtic) we have dominated possession, which is great, we are improving, so my concerns may lessen week by week.

I think we need a good number 9 in the battering ram mould. I think it definitely shows how far we have come though in one window when some are now saying they think Michael Smith is the weak link. 

It’s about how we do when the injuries, suspensions, and fitness levels drop for other Cubs out with the OF, us included, but I hope we are better off now to sustain consistency to garner points off the rest when it gets to the tough times.

Bazzas right boot

We're expected to beat every team that we have a bigger budget than - all the time. 

We're also expected to beat teams with a bigger budget. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

15 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

We're expected to beat every team that we have a bigger budget than - all the time. 

Robbie keeps saying in interviews that when you play for Hearts, you're expected to win EVERY game.         If thats the case, then the concept of "expectation levels" among fans is best ignored.     

Performance level (and consistency) is a better measure.   

Demand a high performance level + achieve it every week = most fans happy, regardless of result.

26 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Personally, I live in hope rather than expectation. 😉

Screenshot_20210920-173031_Google.jpg

1 hour ago, wigwam123 said:

I think we need a good number 9 in the battering ram mould. I think it definitely shows how far we have come though in one window when some are now saying they think Michael Smith is the weak link. 

Totally agree with this. Someone like what Mark Hatley was to the Huns all those years ago.  I think that and a RWB and that would be the makings of a great squad. I’m more buoyed this season than I have for many seasons. The doom and gloom is descending every week although I won’t get carried away until we’re still in the mix at the split.

I’ve become numb to major disappointment with the JT’s these days. Still lots to be positive about so far this season. 

3 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

Anyone else struggling to think of when we drew 2 - 2 with St mirren?

I got totally confused. It was actually the Hamilton game I meant. 

6 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

Anyone else struggling to think of when we drew 2 - 2 with St mirren?

I had it in my head Ogkmpoe played for St Mirren, it was Jonanthan Obika I was thinking of. 

Just now, wigwam123 said:

No idea how but I got confused. It was the Hamilton Accies 2 - 2 where we were 2 down. I was getting confused with Obika and Ogkmpoe.

I was jesting. 😆

2 hours ago, brux said:

The feel good is helped by most of the signings being an improvement so far.  Jury is out on Moore but you can't judge a player on 150 mins.  Him apart every signing looks good including a 20 min Devlin cameo, again too early to judge him on 20 mins though 

Moore looks every bit a centre back playing full back. Reminds me of Pressley in his first few outings. Could do with a similar outcome......

2 minutes ago, Chong said:

Moore looks every bit a centre back playing full back. Reminds me of Pressley in his first few outings. Could do with a similar outcome......

He definitely has a wicked game-face. Watched him wandering about after the Hibs game and the smiley demeanour was replaced with a look of pure rage. Hopefully some good aggressive play to come from him.

I’ve said intermittently on other posts over the weeks that I feel it’s about standards improving this season and we then have the bedrock going forward.  

You just have to trawl old footage, videos of Hearts and our previous, good managers and how they talk about standard of performance and pride.

We lost that hugely under Levein and his coaching team.  Stendel picked up a crappy baton but you could clearly see improvement in how we played despite the obvious failings.  

Maybe we’ve expected a point or two more from the opening spell but maybe the return of driving home the importance of trying to play with more quality and desire has actually prevented defeat thus far?   I’m not RNs biggest fan but I think he has the right intentions and says the right things, especially about the expectancy to win most weeks.  But to get those wins we need a good standard of play and desire from the players. 

Edited by Debut 4

Fans expectation levels are high(as always).Management team expectation levels are high judging by the statements from Savage,Neilson and Mcculloch.CEO seems to have set the bar high also.

Have we got the players who think they should win every game .I have my doubts after the last two results.They really need to get the OF mentality of digging out results or a distant 3rd is the best we can hope for.

I remember the days under Jefferies when we managed it for long spells so hopefully Neilson can get that mentality into them.

I am hopeful but not convinced as there are several weak links in the team which should be addressed in the next 2 or 3 windows.

I am confident of a good season but maybe not a memorable one.

2 hours ago, The Tackle said:

Spot on. I admit i was really fed up during the Brora fiasco and thought we weren't making any progress. I'm at the stage now where I'm pretty happy with our squad and excited by our future. Still need a RWB and a left sided CB in my opinion 

Pretty much where I am too, although my concerns about Boab's abilities date back to the Birkirkara result and the slew of dodgy signings he made latterly in his first spell such as Sammon and Oshaniwa. The lack of quality of many of our performances last season was dispiriting, as was the lack of progress as you say. However, we're looking and playing much better this season, and the signings so far seem very promising. I've no doubt that the appointment of Savage and the improvement and restructuring of the recruitment team are proving to be of great benefit to RN and the squad.

Still have some doubts about Neilson, but I'd be very happy indeed if he proves me wrong!  :icon14:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It's got to be third or win cup. It's got the pot of cash attached that can raise expectations realistically higher 

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

It's got to be third or win cup. It's got the pot of cash attached that can raise expectations realistically higher 

Yep. Europe much more worthwhile now. 

52 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Pretty much where I am too, although my concerns about Boab's abilities date back to the Birkirkara result and the slew of dodgy signings he made latterly in his first spell such as Sammon and Oshaniwa. The lack of quality of many of our performances last season was dispiriting, as was the lack of progress as you say. However, we're looking and playing much better this season, and the signings so far seem very promising. I've no doubt that the appointment of Savage and the improvement and restructuring of the recruitment team are proving to be of great benefit to RN and the squad.

Still have some doubts about Neilson, but I'd be very happy indeed if he proves me wrong!  :icon14:

Good post mate👍 I too still have my doubts, but one thing he has done is made us very hard to beat. He’s proving me wrong at the minute and I hope he continues. 

I am was defo on the made progress bandwagon. I am however now geting a bit concerned after Aberdeen, Hibs and the Ross County games. Those games were not won down to Robbie for me so I see them as points dropped. 

3 minutes ago, Rods said:

I am was defo on the made progress bandwagon. I am however now geting a bit concerned after Aberdeen, Hibs and the Ross County games. Those games were not won down to Robbie for me so I see them as points dropped. 

While I agree that they were points dropped, I do think credit has to be given to Neilson for changing things on Saturday. He maybe made a mistake but it shows he’s not settling for draws. I’d rather he tried to improve performances and failed than stuck with something that doesn’t get the best out of the players. 

Edited by GinRummy

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

While I agree that they were points dropped, I do think credit has to be given to Neilson for changing things on Saturday. He maybe made a mistake but it shows he’s not settling for draws. I’d rather he tried to improve performances and failed than stuck with something that doesn’t get the best out of the players. 

Yeah, his starting line up was an eye opener for me. Going forward, if he clearly thinks he can win, this shows he’s not afraid to attack.

That said, I wonder if the RC chairmen’s ‘take your medicine’ comments regarding our demotion, had something to do with his line up?

3 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yeah, his starting line up was an eye opener for me. Going forward, if he clearly thinks he can win, this shows he’s not afraid to attack.

That said, I wonder if the RC chairmen’s ‘take your medicine’ comments regarding our demotion, had something to do with his line up?

It might have been. Only he knows I suppose. We can always dish out some calpol when we play them at Tynie. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It might have been. Only he knows I suppose. We can always dish out some calpol when we play them at Tynie. 

Absolutely! 

31 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

To answer the question, my expectation is for Hearts to play in accordance to the money that has been spent. 

Who have we spent money on apart fron Baningime?

We got rid of 17 (?) players and have recruited fewer than that.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Who have we spent money on apart fron Baningime?

We got rid of 17 (?) players and have recruited fewer than that.

You really don't get it, do you? 

Bloody hell. 

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You really don't get it, do you? 

Bloody hell. 

You really can't answer the question, can you.

Bloody hell.

Edited by JamboAl

It's too tiring bro, i didn't even mention transfer fees, just think of all the the other costs and compare it to Ross County, that should sort you out. 

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It's too tiring bro, i didn't even mention transfer fees, just think of all the the other costs and compare it to Ross County, that should sort you out. 

Just another baseless moan consistent with a high percentage of your posts re HMFC.