ROBBIE NEILSON INTERVIEW | Open Goal

haggis58

Bazzas right boot

I don't mind the wee dafty. 

Bit of humour. 

Folk spitting hairballs over him need to get a grip imo. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auldbenches

• Bazzas right boot

• Taffin

• RobNox

Top Posters In This Topic

Si Ferry has got a lot better over the last year or so, I find the interviews and panel that Halliday sits on to be a good laugh. That failed Celtic/ Motherwell boy needs dropped tho, can’t string a sentence together. 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

The same people who wanted Tommy Wright no doubt would want Davidson over Neilson.

No point in giving our man praise, folk will always look to put him down. 

Iirc, it was - 

Wright 

Clarke 

Ross 

The Motherwell guy, forget his name. 

Folk even mentioned that livi boss when he went on his good run. 

Now Davidson 

If you say Robbie is good at x, someone will say but what about manager y. 

They'll use others success to somehow build an argument against Bob, that will become more of a thing for many if Bob continues to do well- as their other bull shite stuff they've banged on about for years  will become invalid. 

Can't give Bob praise on here-must be a rule for JKB. 

10 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

Why did the interview change your view, if you don't mind me asking?

I am a big fan of open goal, think Si Ferry, weirdly, is a very good interviewer. It's formulaic but I just like hearing the great and good of scottish football in a relaxed conversation.

It didn't really change my view, it just confirmed it and made me realise there's no point in chipping away about it. It changed my attitude really.

First time around (and as a player) I had Neilson down as being cut from a different cloth from the usual Scottish football clique; a thinker, more modern and open to the world. I started to doubt that last year and that video just felt insular if I'm being honest... especially the bit about MK Dons. Imagine feeling no pressure so you manage yourself out the door to get back to the high pressure environment of the Scottish Championship with a team who'll stroll the league. I don't get that line of thinking so I've just accepted we're different people, who view the world and football differently. He's a nice guy so rather than get annoyed he's not doing things I'd like to see I'll just get on board with his way and as long as your position in the league is good I won't be criticising any more 👍

14 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

No point in giving our man praise, folk will always look to put him down. 

Iirc, it was - 

Wright 

Clarke 

Ross 

The Motherwell guy, forget his name. 

Folk even mentioned that livi boss when he went on his good run. 

Now Davidson 

If you say Robbie is good at x, someone will say but what about manager y. 

They'll use others success to somehow build an argument against Bob, that will become more of a thing for many if Bob continues to do well- as their other bull shite stuff they've banged on about for years  will become invalid. 

Can't give Bob praise on here-must be a rule for JKB. 

And other people need to get a grip?  Two posters replied to the claim he is the best young manager in Scotland by saying Davidson could be seen as better due to winning a double and you do your usual.

Where in this Davidson discussion has anyone put Robbie down? 

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Done well for half a season? The guy has won 2 cups in his short time as manager so that's a wee bit better than done well. 

If there was a vote among Scottish football fans, Davidson would come out top. 

You only brought in this season to try and back your claim and it sould be what they have both achieved in their careers as managers. 

Neilson will have to win something before any claim he is the best.

Manager of the the month doesn't beat 2 cup wins in one season.

I think you're right, most fans would vote Davidson and with 2 cups and some impressive away European games I couldn't blame them. I do think, long-term, Neilson will end up being seen as the bigger success. 

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

I think you're right, most fans would vote Davidson and with 2 cups and some impressive away European games I couldn't blame them. I do think, long-term, Neilson will end up being seen as the bigger success. 

There's a chance that he might, but he can't claim to be the best just now.  

If a good job came up down south just now, who would be seen by their fans as the better option? 

10 hours ago, Kyle1874 said:

Wanted Neilson out last year now with everything that has happened in the background on and off the pitch more then happy for him to continue to build on what they have started 

ps i reserve the right to change my mind 🤣

:clyay:

Bazzas right boot
38 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

And other people need to get a grip?  Two posters replied to the claim he is the best young manager in Scotland by saying Davidson could be seen as better due to winning a double and you do your usual.

Where in this Davidson discussion has anyone put Robbie down? 

Everytime something positive comes out, folk will find away to either rubbish it or diminish. 

Some one says Bob is the best young manager. 

Nah, Davidson is better. 

We've had a good start. 

2/6 home points in unacceptable 

Players signed look good. 

Savage deserves credit. 

4/4 in lc 

Bob failed 

Same folk, different strokes depending on what suits their agenda that week. 

It's tiring, so much negativity all the time.

So much effort by some to play down any positivity especially in regards to Bob. 

Ofc best young manager is subjective, but we're meant to be Hearts fans.

Wright, Robinson, Davidson, MartinDale, Clarke, Mcinnes even Ross have all been championed by a few on here who never give Bob any praise, in fact while they at different times have been blowing smoke up their  arseholes, they have been aiming vitriol at our own. 

Davidson done well last season, unbelievable actually-no one will deny that,but Bobs record is very consistent in Scotland. 

As Hearts fan, **** St Johnstone as well, hope they get relegated this season. Shite team. 

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Everytime something positive comes out, folk will find away to either rubbish it or diminish. 

Nah, Davidson is better. 

We've had a good start. 

Savage deserves credit. 

4/4 in lc 

Bob failed 

So much effort by some to play down any positivity especially in regards to Bob. 

Wright, Robinson, Davidson, MartinDale, Clarke, Mcinnes even Ross have all been championed by a few on here who never give Bob any praise, in fact while they at different times have been blowing smoke up their  arseholes, they have been aiming vitriol at our own. 

Davidson done well last season, unbelievable actually-no one will deny that,but Bobs record is very consistent in Scotland. 

As Hearts fan, **** St Johnstone as well, hope they get relegated this season. Shite team. 

That's just incoherent ramblings, absolutely on the defensive when no one has even attacked Robbie on this thread, incredible stuff! :rofl:

By the way, decent interview with Robbie that, he came across pretty well and like a manager who's had a lot of weight lifted off his shoulders by the help he's now getting from the new appointments at the club and working together as a team.  

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah, Davidson is better. 

We've had a good start. 

Savage deserves credit. 

4/4 in lc 

Bob failed 

You've just proved my point.  A poster said he is the best young manager and another disagreed.

You then come ou5with all that.

If course we have had a good start but that has nothing to do with that or being fans that are supposed to be supportive. 

Why did you feel the need to jump in again? 

Stop trying to own other people's discussions 

14 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

That's just incoherent ramblings, absolutely on the defensive when no one has even attacked Robbie on this thread, incredible stuff! :rofl:

By the way, decent interview with Robbie that, he came across pretty well and like a manager who's had a lot of weight lifted off his shoulders by the help he's now getting from the new appointments at the club and working together as a team.  

It is amazing what he does. He actually soiks good discussions.  Even the poster who I was discussing this with was alright about it.

Is it not trolling?   

The Old Tolbooth
Just now, Auldbenches said:

It is amazing what he does. He actually soiks good discussions.  Even the poster who I was discussing this with was alright about it.

Is it not trolling?   

It's 100% trolling, and he gets away with it on every thread too, there's countless examples, pretty sad really. 

4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

You've just proved my point.  A poster said he is the best young manager and another disagreed.

You then come ou5with all that.

If course we have had a good start but that has nothing to do with that or being fans that are supposed to be supportive. 

Why did you feel the need to jump in again? 

Stop trying to own other people's discussions 

It's just an extension of the way Hearts themselves have been set up over the last 5 years or so.

Nodding dogs are (were) the aim.

Joe Savage strikes me as the antithesis to this and those who backed the previous set up and that mindset now find it hard to accept that criticism and expectation should not only be allowed, but encouraged when on a journey to achieve more than you've got. 

Whilst I've said I don't get him, I'm certain Neilson himself isn't thin skinned enough to get his knickers in a twist over someone saying Davidson is a better manager than him. That will (or should) fuel him to go out and change those manager of the month trophies into something that actually matters. No manager wants to retire and only have Glen's Vodka trophies to put on his mantle piece

23 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's just an extension of the way Hearts themselves have been set up over the last 5 years or so.

Nodding dogs are (were) the aim.

Joe Savage strikes me as the antithesis to this and those who backed the previous set up and that mindset now find it hard to accept that criticism and expectation should not only be allowed, but encouraged when on a journey to achieve more than you've got. 

Whilst I've said I don't get him, I'm certain Neilson himself isn't thin skinned enough to get his knickers in a twist over someone saying Davidson is a better manager than him. That will (or should) fuel him to go out and change those manager of the month trophies into something that actually matters. No manager wants to retire and only have Glen's Vodka trophies to put on his mantle piece

What that poster also doesn't understand is that, someone says a little thing about levein he jumps in with the usual long defensive post and that leads to the ooster bringing other levein stuff to counter that.  He then complains about that person not letting it go when it's his fault it happened. 

In my opinion it is nothing but trolling.  It also spoils this place.

35 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

It's 100% trolling, and he gets away with it on every thread too, there's countless examples, pretty sad really. 

Aren't the mods not supposed to stop trolling?  

He's been getting away this for ages.

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

What that poster also doesn't understand is that, someone says a little thing about levein he jumps in with the usual long defensive post and that leads to the ooster bringing other levein stuff to counter that.  He then complains about that person not letting it go when it's his fault it happened. 

In my opinion it is nothing but trolling.  It also spoils this place.

I like his posts about football and generally agree with him on that front a lot of the time. The suggestions though that negativity is ingrained and/or trolling and the labelling of people who disagree as somehow having in for Hearts/'Bob'/Craig etc just makes it worse though as people just double down on it and it creates an equal and opposite reaction...I'm as guilty for it as anyone and I'll hold my hands up on that.

We all want Hearts to be the best they can be. I'm of the opinion we've been far too accepting of mediocrity under Budge. Others aren't of that opinion. Doesn't mean I hate Ann (far from it). Robbie strikes me as a cautious, dependable guy who'll not let you down, it's not a management type that resonates with me. It does for others. Again it doesn't mean I hate him. In fact I like him, but I'm not (until now) going to just go "oh he's fantastic, best thing since sliced bread" because it's meant to be a forum where people discuss, debate and at times argue their points of view. The alternative is a sticky at the top that says all things Hearts are perfect where we can all post each week saying "so true", "agreed" etc.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I like his posts about football and generally agree with him on that front a lot of the time. The suggestions though that negativity is ingrained and/or trolling and the labelling of people who disagree as somehow having in for Hearts/'Bob'/Craig etc just makes it worse though as people just double down on it and it creates an equal and opposite reaction...I'm as guilty for it as anyone and I'll hold my hands up on that.

We all want Hearts to be the best they can be. I'm of the opinion we've been far too accepting of mediocrity under Budge. Others aren't of that opinion. Doesn't mean I hate Ann (far from it). Robbie strikes me as a cautious, dependable guy who'll not let you down, it's not a management type that resonates with me. It does for others. Again it doesn't mean I hate him. In fact I like him, but I'm not (until now) going to just go "oh he's fantastic, best thing since sliced bread" because it's meant to be a forum where people discuss, debate and at times argue their points of view. The alternative is a sticky at the top that says all things Hearts are perfect where we can all post each week saying "so true", "agreed" etc.

Said in a post we are supposed to be Hearts fans.  If he wants a message board that with only positive things and no opinions on mistakes the club or team make, or what could be improved then start his own one.

It's only on this issue he does this but it's constant. 

The Old Tolbooth
20 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Aren't the mods not supposed to stop trolling?  

He's been getting away this for ages.

Yeah you'd think so, different rules for some I guess... 

The Old Tolbooth
15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

You see, that's a well balanced and thought out post, no trolling at all, and it reflects (I'd assume) the views of many, including myself, there were no childish digs at the end of the post aiming at certain people trying to provoke a reaction which is clearly craved upon by said poster. 

6 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

You see, that's a well balanced and thought out post, no trolling at all, and it reflects (I'd assume) the views of many, including myself, there were no childish digs at the end of the post aiming at certain people trying to provoke a reaction which is clearly craved upon by said poster. 

I have done before though, so I can't take praise. Equally I'd argue I've risen to the bait and it's been a reaction, but I have cast my line now and again too.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I don't mind the wee dafty. 

Bit of humour. 

Folk spitting hairballs over him need to get a grip imo. 

Aye I like Slane if folk don't like it just don't watch it 😂

They don't take it serious and not trying to be something they ain't .

The Old Tolbooth
23 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I have done before though, so I can't take praise. Equally I'd argue I've risen to the bait and it's been a reaction, but I have cast my line now and again too.

To be fair, I think we all have, but not every day, on every thread... 

8 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

To be fair, I think we all have, but not every day, on every thread... 

Or telling everyone to get a grip when they have a different opinion.  

You've to even get a grip if you don't think that boy from open goal.  

Last comment on it but it has to stop.  Not a chance though 

Won't be everyone's cup of tea but I get so much more insight from their podcasts than any of the sportsound/evening news/DR put together. Sure there is some childish banter but it's just a group of football loving blokes having good debates and giving a perspective from behind the scenes.  As opposed to sportsound which is a bunch of washed up managers or current pros that all sit on the fence pandering to the BBC.

13 hours ago, King prawn said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - Paul Slane is a roaster who brings the quality of the show down. Watches no other teams apart from Celtic, doesn’t listen to anything that’s being said and asks nonsensical questions that wouldn’t be needed if he rectified either of the first two things. 

This. Ferry has been worked pretty hard to improve his interviewing skills and it’s brought down by Slaney.

Not saying Slaney needs totally canned. But maybe reserve him to only Celtic related content. He’s clearly no interest in any of the rest. 

AlphonseCapone
6 minutes ago, OTT said:

This. Ferry has been worked pretty hard to improve his interviewing skills and it’s brought down by Slaney.

Not saying Slaney needs totally canned. But maybe reserve him to only Celtic related content. He’s clearly no interest in any of the rest. 

Sometimes Slaney is alright but too often he tries far too hard to be the funny quirky character. He's basically like a younger Frank MacAvennie on the show, can only speak about Celtic really and generally ruins it when he is on.

Ferguson on the otherhand is very knowledgeable, even down to the lower leagues. There are times Kevin Kyle looks like he wants the ground to swallow him up when the "banter" comes out on the show. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

5 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

What age is Gerard? 

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah, Davidson is better. 

We've had a good start. 

Savage deserves credit. 

4/4 in lc 

Bob failed 

Enough of the Bob patter, Tosh. It's winding me up now. I would say I'm a big fan of Robbie, but I'd only cause a scene.

:D

:oohmatron:

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Aye I like Slane if folk don't like it just don't watch it 😂

They don't take it serious and not trying to be something they ain't .

Yip, folk get way to agitated. 

It's a thing nowadays - folk just get angry about stuff, have opinions on stuff and most of it they don't really care about, but when triggered have a strong opinion. 

Social media. 

As you say a couple of guys getting people to open up and having a bit of a laugh while doing it. 

Let's can one of them and rip him tho. 😭

Calm down jeeves. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Enough of the Bob patter, Tosh. It's winding me up now. I would say I'm a big fan of Robbie, but I'd only cause a scene.

:D

:oohmatron:

You more of a "Bobmeister" man? 

12 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Well it's factually true given he's the current Manager of the Month. 

Apart from that, still only 41. Name another who's done as well with a club as big as us? Ross and Davison are older. Goodwin and Davidson got plaudits last season but both are doing poorly this season.

Which young manager in Scotland would you take over Neilson right now? Gerard doesn't count given we'd have to sell the squad and ground to pay for him.

So plaudits can't be given to Gerrard because he's expensive but just case aside the double cup winning manager despite him having a lot, lot less money to spend than Neison?   I doubt St Johnstone could afford one player we have brought in over the summer. 

You change the goalposts to suit your argument, I get that but try not go over the top at the same time. 

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's a thing nowadays - folk just get angry about stuff, have opinions on stuff and most of it they don't really care about, but when triggered have a strong opinion. 

Social media. 

As you say a couple of guys getting people to open up and having a bit of a laugh while doing it. 

Calm down jeeves. 

He is a bit of a helmet to be fair

What was the sort of 'Sportscene Spinoff' that existed for a bit? It was Sutherland, Stewart, Thompson and sometime James McFadden as well where it was more of a recap and chat than an actual highlights show.

Sort of related to the topic.

Edited by Taffin

23 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Social media. 

Calm down jeeves. 

Or people can have an opinion on things that matter to them? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I listen to two podcasts on my way to work, Open Goal when it’s published  and The Football Ramble on the other days - Slane often spoils parts of a great show in my opinion.

Ferry has got much better, I enjoy his interviews and hosting. 

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What was the sort of 'Sportscene Spinoff' that existed for a bit? It was Sutherland, Stewart, Thompson and sometime James McFadden as well where it was more of a recap and chat than an actual highlights show.

Sort of related to the topic.

Was it Sportscene extra time. There was some football show that had that after its name. 

47 minutes ago, OTT said:

Wheel him out when Celtic are playing like they do with Pat Bonner :lol: 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Or people can have an opinion on things that matter to them? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I listen to two podcasts on my way to work, Open Goal when it’s published  and The Football Ramble on the other days - Slane often spoils parts of a great show in my opinion.

Ferry has got much better, I enjoy his interviews and hosting. 

Slane oot? 

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Was it Sportscene extra time. There was some football show that had that after its name. 

Yeh could be that, cheers 👍 

Guest ToqueJambo
18 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

You saying neilson is the better manager because he had won manager of the month rather than two cups?  

You have to judge managers on more than that. What if St J bomb this season? Is Davidson a great manager forever because he won those two cups? Davidson won twice as many cups as Derek McInnes. Does that make him a better manager? A combination of Gary Locke and John McGinn got us very close to finally winning the LC. Were they good managers? (I actually think they were better than many thought).

A few other managers who have won cups in the recent past:

John Collins

Tommy Wright

Peter Houston

John Hughes

Jim McIntyre

Danny Lennon

I think Davidson shows promise, but do think Neilson has proven he is a better manager over a longer period than Davidson, never mind this season. And there's a hell of a lot more pressure at a club like Hearts than S J.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

You have to judge managers on more than that. What if St J bomb this season? Is Davidson a great manager forever because he won those two cups? Davidson won twice as many cups as Derek McInnes. Does that make him a better manager? A combination of Gary Locke and John McGinn got us very close to finally winning the LC. Were they good managers? (I actually think they were better than many thought).

A few other managers who have won cups in the recent past:

John Collins

Tommy Wright

Peter Houston

John Hughes

Jim McIntyre

Danny Lennon

I think Davidson shows promise, but do think Neilson has proven he is a better manager over a longer period than Davidson, never mind this season. And there's a hell of a lot more pressure at a club like Hearts than S J.

Right now I honestly think most Scottish football fans would say he is the better young manager because of the double.  

Two cups isn't a fluke.  Also beat Celtic at Parkhead.  

We are talking right now. 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Right now I honestly think most Scottish football fans would say he is the better young manager because of the double.  

Two cups isn't a fluke.  Also beat Celtic at Parkhead.  

We are talking right now. 

I disagree. There's a lot of luck of the draw involved in cups, and none of those managers who won cups went on to better things long term. Let's see if he can replicate it with tougher early round draws. Last season Neilson took a championship side to a cup final, navigating a very tricky semi final, and gave Celtic a great game in Glasgow. This season will be a good test of Davidson to see if he's the real deal.

Cups aren't really an indicator of quality. Are Jamie McCart of Jason Kerr better defenders than Craig Levein was or John Souttar is because they have two cup winners medals?

Edited by ToqueJambo

I disagree. There's a lot of luck of the draw involved in cups, and none of those managers who won cups went on to better things long term. Let's see if he can replicate it with tougher early round draws. Last season Neilson took a championship side to a cup final, navigating a very tricky semi final, and gave Celtic a great game in Glasgow. This season will be a good test of Davidson to see if he's the real deal.

You've got to give credit for beating Celtic in Glasgow on the way to winning it.  We didn't beat them through there.  

Just now I can only disagree.  Also think he would be offered a 'bigger' job if it came up.  You know what I mean by bigger. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Auldbenches said:

You've got to give credit for beating Celtic in Glasgow on the way to winning it.  We didn't beat them through there.  

Just now I can only disagree.  Also think he would be offered a 'bigger' job if it came up.  You know what I mean by bigger. 

He did brilliantly. We simply don't know though how he will do long term. Same with other managers who overachieved at smaller clubs Tommy Wright and Stephen Robinson - mentioned for every job under the sun including us and where are they now?

He did brilliantly. We simply don't know though how he will do long term. Same with other managers who overachieved at smaller clubs Tommy Wright and Stephen Robinson - mentioned for every job under the sun including us and where are they now?

This season is his test but I reckon he would be offered a job down south before Neilson if one cale up just now.  Also don't think there's many fans in Scotland who would agree with you.  

I disagree about lucky draw due to beating Celtic through there.  You can't give credit to us for running them close then say they got lucky. 

Did they beat other premier teams on their way?  

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

This season is his test but I reckon he would be offered a job down south before Neilson if one cale up just now.  Also don't think there's many fans in Scotland who would agree with you.  

I disagree about lucky draw due to beating Celtic through there.  You can't give credit to us for running them close then say they got lucky. 

Did they beat other premier teams on their way?  

I'm just not getting carried away about Davidson just yet. I'd rather back our own manager. Often forgotten how relatively young Neilson was when he first managed us. Steve Clarke's managerial career never got going until he was about 10 years older than Neilson is now. The way Neilson has us picking up points in the Premiership and competing in the top 3 every season he's managed us suggests he has something about him to me. Why not back him instead of always talking up whatever other manager has done something during a one-off season?

Edited by ToqueJambo