Shaggy McPhee

Killinman

The current bun is reporting that Austin McPhee has been recruited by Steve Clarke to Scotland's back room team. Don't know what to make of that as he seemed to do a good job in a similar position with Northern Ireland.

28 minutes ago, Killinman said:

The current bun is reporting that Austin McPhee has been recruited by Steve Clarke to Scotland's back room team. Don't know what to make of that as he seemed to do a good job in a similar position with Northern Ireland.

Also the Times. 

Former Hearts assistant Austin MacPhee is expected to join Scotland boss Steve Clarke's backroom team. (Times - subscription required)

2 minutes ago, Andyp1874 said:

How is that boy still in football🤦‍♂️

Success involves playing to people's strengths. We had Cathro and McPhee but used them the wrong way. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Good luck to him, may he find the secret technical footballing loophole for Scotland to upset the odds, beat Denmark home and away, and qualify top of the group. 👍

Dennis Reynolds
4 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Success involves playing to people's strengths. We had Cathro and McPhee but used them the wrong way. 

Yep.

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Good luck to him, may he find the secret technical footballing loophole for Scotland to upset the odds, beat Denmark home and away, and qualify top of the group. 👍

Very much agree with this!

StevenNaismith

I’ve got to know Austin very well in the last 4 years, absolutely lives and breathes football. The analysis he brings is top notch, anything that helps Scotland is great news for me.

Unknown user
26 minutes ago, Andyp1874 said:

He's very highly thought of, Villa's set piece routine goal was something he didn't want to discuss in detail after, but the boy did acknowledge it was from the new set piece guy.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, StevenNaismith said:

I’ve got to know Austin very well in the last 4 years, absolutely lives and breathes football. The analysis he brings is top notch, anything that helps Scotland is great news for me.

I like him a lot

Just now, StevenNaismith said:

He is a decent guy, believes in himself fully. 

Sometimes he's not achieved his own levels of hype but he's not one to sit back and keeps at it. 

AlphonseCapone
27 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

This. Works for players too, certain positions will get the best out of them, others they look lost. 

Sounds like this new role would be playing to his strengths. 

Probably great in a backroom staff position. Putting him in front of the cameras was, in my opinion a step too far.

Good luck to him and hope is successful

31 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

I like him! the stick he gets and Cathro gets is a bit too far they are both highly thought off in football. Their time at Hearts never went as well as we wanted but look who they were working under 😂 

34 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

👍 I hope he does a great job for Scotland and enjoys his role 

Leveins Battalion
8 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I like him! the stick he gets and Cathro gets is a bit too far they are both highly thought off in football. Their time at Hearts never went as well as we wanted but look who they were working under 😂 

Both Cathro and MacPhee are highly thought of in the game,both however are not management material as we have found out and really are only just recovering from it.

However they received a raw deal from the Scottish gutter press from the 1st press conferance,a smear campaign of Corbyn proportions was done on us as a club for trying something different.The Michael Stewarts and Kris Boyd's of this world revelled in it,the histeria and prejudice handed out to Stendel was also a joke.

Good on Austin,a top guy.

I often feel MacPhee gets far too much stick here. Yep he may not be manager material, who knows he might be. We were his first gig, and it wasn’t an easy challenge.

The amount of people here who give him stick, and say he knows nothing about football is mad. The guy is in football obviously because he is highly thought of by a lot of people. He has got a very decent football CV, but not according to the experts here.

Football management/coaching must be one of the best and crappest jobs going. Things go well you’re a hero. Things go badly, you’re insulted and hounded out. I just wish people can see there is a middle ground. Things sometimes don’t work even though you put everything into it.

Absolute Scenes
4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Not even Jim'l'fix it could have got that ***** a gig in football.

How, is all I ask.  How?

because he's been successful everywhere else he has worked. Unfortunately came to Hearts when things started going south

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

because he's been successful everywhere else he has worked. Unfortunately came to Hearts when things started going south

Arguably, he was part of the cause of things going south though. I wish him all the best like but absolutely correct to bin him from the role he was in here. Unseen backroom analyst is where he and Cathro can do their work, but as dressing room leaders? No 

Absolute Scenes
Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Arguably, he was part of the cause of things going south though. I wish him all the best like but absolutely correct to bin him from the role he was in here. Unseen backroom analyst is where he and Cathro can do their work, but as dressing room leaders? No 

Partly those in charge of management at fault though, putting them in charge when they have had no first team management experience

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

As a matter of interest, do Hearts currently have someone in the coaching staff who does the set-piece analysis thing ?    If we do, then he's not very good at it.  😕   

3 hours ago, Andyp1874 said:

He was tainted by the Cathro association but otherwise is highly regarded. The Indian FA tried to sign him up a few years ago. Our own FA wanted him a few years ago and he's part of the coaching staff at Aston Villa. 

One at Spurs and another at Villa and now Scotland - definitely us that were the mugs back then.

I do think if we had also appointed the boy Celtic have the press would have hounded him to an inch of his life.

4 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

👌🏻

Bazzas right boot
33 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Amazes me how many coaches, teams have nowadays. It’s becoming very NFL with shear volume and wide variety of coaching staff. 

A lot of these roles are very limited and specific in their nature, some don’t even interact with players. 

I think people don’t appreciate the wide variety of coaching roles that exist, especially at larger clubs. Being good at video analysis or the likes is a world of different fro interacting, communicating, motivating, managing people etc. 

One of the worst thing that can happen to people is they are promoted above their capabilities. I believe that to be true of both cathro and McPhee. 

It's not above their capabilities, just the wrong position. 

For example The best plumber won't necessarily be the best plumbing manager or the best accountant be the best accountant manager, 

The best  car sales person won't necessarily be the best general manager etc. 

In this case excellent coaches / analysts are not good managers. 

It has a name in HR, I forget what it's called but happens in most businesses even to this day. 

As you say managing people is different to being good at the skills  of the people that are actually being managed. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Not even Jim'l'fix it could have got that ***** a gig in football.

How, is all I ask.  How?

How?  He either applied for it or was headhunted.

Why is a completely different question to which i don't have the answer.

Good on him though, as has been said, never a manager, but obviously has something given the jobs he has/has had.

1 hour ago, Boris said:

How?  He either applied for it or was headhunted.

Why is a completely different question to which i don't have the answer.

Good on him though, as has been said, never a manager, but obviously has something given the jobs he has/has had.

Boris, in my 28 years of work I have encountered many an 'Austin'.  Somehow, inexplicably people like that just get the good gigs.

We let it happen and yes he is not to blame for that.

What a dark cloud there is that hovers over my Hearts memories of this time.

9 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

My old boss said in America(also highly respected in the football world) was very close with him and expected him to make it to the very top.

I think people need to realise that him and Cathro are way above our level when it comes to doing their actual job. 

Holyrood_Hearts
11 hours ago, Andyp1874 said:

He’s good at what he does possibly? 

Holyrood_Hearts
10 hours ago, daftie said:

I often feel MacPhee gets far too much stick here. Yep he may not be manager material, who knows he might be. We were his first gig, and it wasn’t an easy challenge.

The amount of people here who give him stick, and say he knows nothing about football is mad. The guy is in football obviously because he is highly thought of by a lot of people. He has got a very decent football CV, but not according to the experts here.

Football management/coaching must be one of the best and crappest jobs going. Things go well you’re a hero. Things go badly, you’re insulted and hounded out. I just wish people can see there is a middle ground. Things sometimes don’t work even though you put everything into it.

Totally agree. Tbf he did himself no favours when he was caretaker manager with some of his comments but I think as a coach he’s great at what he does. 

Clearly some on here know better than Michael O’Neill, Dean Smith etc etc

Sierra Delta
10 hours ago, daftie said:

Agree with this. He seems very highly rated in the game, and was given credit for Danny Ings' goal for Villa at the weekend. 

Maybe doesn't fit the mould of a lot of traditional coaches, but football is changing and his detailed analysis etc seems spot on. 

Savage Vince
12 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

😁

Savage Vince
11 hours ago, Swimmer said:

Probably great in a backroom staff position. Putting him in front of the cameras was, in my opinion a step too far.

Unfortunately so was putting him in front of a dugout. 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Without getting in a debate about semantics as we are essentially in agreement 

The position they were put in at hearts was well above their capabilities. Both wanted to take a step forward in their coaching careers by becoming head coaches. They lacked the skills or capability to make the move to the next level, or arguably a number of levels of up. 

Neither current “have the capabilities in their skills, knowledge or experience to fulfill a head coach role. It seems they and the football community understand that as they have got back to their roles pre hearts, just different employers. 

Both were massively over promoted McPhee in particular, whose success had primarily been in analysis and entrepreneurship. 

Alas neither are the next Mourihno in the coaching stakes. 

Agreed. 

Happens a lot tho in every Industry. 

SpruceBringsteen
18 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

How did we use them wrongly, because as a manager and assistant manager/coach of a football team, I'd expect them to be able to tell a football team how to play football. Did we ask them to split atoms? To answer philosophy? Bring me up to speed

9 hours ago, Sierra Delta said:

Agree with this. He seems very highly rated in the game, and was given credit for Danny Ings' goal for Villa at the weekend.

You've got to laugh at that.

A long throw, front post head on and a forward spectacularly scissor kicks it home.

It's hardly revolutionary tactics.:lol:

Ings finish was what we watch football for.

If he had headed it home, not one would have batted an eyelid.

10 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

Unfortunately so was putting him in front of a dugout. 

I agree but still think he has proven to be a valuable backroom member. Good luck to him

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

You've got to laugh at that.

A long throw, front post head on and a forward spectacularly scissor kicks it home.

It's hardly revolutionary tactics.:lol:

Ings finish was what we watch football for.

If he had headed it home, not one would have batted an eyelid.

It doesn't need to be revolutionary,  but they weren't doing it before. He introduced it, they practiced it, and it worked.

Unknown user
4 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

How did we use them wrongly, because as a manager and assistant manager/coach of a football team, I'd expect them to be able to tell a football team how to play football. Did we ask them to split atoms? To answer philosophy? Bring me up to speed

By having them as manager and assistant surely? The fact that both have gone into different jobs would tend to back that up, no?

Bazzas right boot
20 hours ago, Section Q said:

He was tainted by the Cathro association but otherwise is highly regarded. The Indian FA tried to sign him up a few years ago. Our own FA wanted him a few years ago and he's part of the coaching staff at Aston Villa. 

Tainted by cathro? 

Is That the guy who is assistant head coach at Spurs? 

SectionDJambo

Nuno likes Cathro to be in his coaching team because he does a job for him. He'll have other coaches who do other jobs for him within the training regime. Clearly Cathro is regarded by Nuno as being good in his part of the overall organisation.

McPhee seems to be well respected for his observation of how teams play and picks up free kick moves from what he sees. He does a job within the overall organisation of his club or international set up which seems to be appreciated by good managers.

Neither of them will ever be the main man, or direct assistant to a head coach again. They should not have been in those positions at Tynecastle, but they wouldn't have joined Hearts for anything less at the time. I don't think that we should demean their current coaching abilities, or have a grudge against them, because of a failed experiment by Craig Levein.

9 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Nuno likes Cathro to be in his coaching team because he does a job for him. He'll have other coaches who do other jobs for him within the training regime. Clearly Cathro is regarded by Nuno as being good in his part of the overall organisation.

McPhee seems to be well respected for his observation of how teams play and picks up free kick moves from what he sees. He does a job within the overall organisation of his club or international set up which seems to be appreciated by good managers.

Neither of them will ever be the main man, or direct assistant to a head coach again. They should not have been in those positions at Tynecastle, but they wouldn't have joined Hearts for anything less at the time. I don't think that we should demean their current coaching abilities, or have a grudge against them, because of a failed experiment by Craig Levein.

Am i pleased Cathro's career has been regenrated at a major club? No. I only care about what he did for us and he was an embarrassment. He can **** right off.

Am i pleased McPhee is doing well with his choreography? No, i only care about what he did for us and i never saw anything of this ability. He can also **** right off.

So yeah, i will have a grudge against them, but nothing like the grudge ihold against the man who employed them both. He can definitely **** right off.

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Am i pleased Cathro's career has been regenrated at a major club? No. I only care about what he did for us and he was an embarrassment. He can **** right off.

Am i pleased McPhee is doing well with his choreography? No, i only care about what he did for us and i never saw anything of this ability. He can also **** right off.

So yeah, i will have a grudge against them, but nothing like the grudge ihold against the man who employed them both. He can definitely **** right off.

:spoton:

A couple of imposter recruited by Levein.

We are all Kris Boyd now.