• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• alwaysthereinspirit

• neilnunb

17 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I just feel we play well enough until getting the lead but then seem to think we can defend it and then if we concede don't seem to able to get up a level again. We did it against Celtic though so we should expect to see that sort of response in other games, it's up to Robbie to see that happens.

JJs team the first time around was more you score two we will score three and was more fun to watch but this team could do the same if they went for the throats more. 

Fair enough.  We certainly seem to deliberately plan to attack at certain times in games - e.g. 2020 cup final - while trying to hang on/stay in the game for periods.  I can see why this is frustrating to some, though I'd largely put it down to the resources, or lack of, we have in the squad.  Aberdeen game was another example of having a relatively poor hand to play throughout the game - which neilson commented on.  However, I can understand why folk would say we should be more attacking, use the attacking players to better effect.

18 hours ago, Spellczech said:

What JJ always did was get his starting formation and tactics right more often than not. His use of subs was underwhelming but I think he probably had the hairdryer approach at halftime if necessary which could wake a few up if the first half was poor.

Neilson is a more, dare I say it modern manager. However, he seldom seems to get the team set up right from kick-off and thus changing formation can make him look like a good tactician, but is really just solving a problem of his own making. Personally I don't think Neilson has anything like the resources to work with that previous Hearts managers have had.

The club still has some dead wood to get rid of, and some of the players who were decent when we were rubbish are now sub-standard for the way Neilson wants to play - particularly up the flanks - meaning Smith, Haring, Walker. None of GMS, Halliday or Kingsley have looked too great. Halkett has looked ok so far this season but I get the feeling it is more that the players around him have improved - he's still to convince me...

I'd like to see Hearts have fewer passengers. We need players with pace but if we cannot find that then they MUST as least be hard-working - ie exactly like our manager was as a player!

Thanks, appreciate the insight into JJ.  Agree with you that Neilson clearly has a poorer budget in comparison with our rivals.  To my mind, Neilson has done a good job in dealing with the awful squad he took over.  I can understand others not liking him, or simply wanting someone else, but the intensity of the negative comments on here always surprises me.  At the very least I'd have thought there would be consensus that he is doing ok and has obviously improved us - it appears not though!

IveSeenTheLight
4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It was obvious the OP was serious

Edited August 9 by Kittybrewster Loon
  •  

As I said, all clubs have numpty fans.

Plenty of responses taking the piss out of the OP

Hectormasson
4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It was obvious the OP was serious

Ok, hear me out on this. Celtic look like they are about to have a Ronnie Deila-esc season with this new guy. They are absolutely terrible, and I do not see why we shouldn't aim to be finishing above them this season. We have challenged them all the way before, and that was under McInnes who many believe was responsible for repeatedly crashing our bottle against Celtic. Their problems are there for all to see. 

And what of the huns? Well i think they are going to fall WELL short of what they did last season. We are about to see how much they benefited from not having the fans on their back last season. The style they play requires patience that the orcs won't give them, especially after a few misplaced passes. When players start suffering from a drop in form/confidence or going into their shell a bit (and they will when the going gets tough enough), they will go through large spells in which they will be shite, just like all the seasons before last. Although I believe it will be magnified massively by the fact they are used to playing in front of empty stadiums now. Only the second game of the season and they have already lost their unbeaten run ffs. Expect it to continue. 

If the above happens, and coincides with us having a great season under new management, then i don't see why we shouldn't be going for the title this season. Since Glass has come in i feel like we are seeing the start of a potentially magical season. We are dominating and winning European ties for the first time in a long time. Also i thought we showed the kind of grit required to bag the 3 points on Sunday. We would NOT have won that game last season, and we now have a proven winner on the pitch like Brown to really drive the team on. 

So I don't think it is at all out of the question that we could be scrapping for the title next May :bounce: 

Edited August 9 by Kittybrewster Loon
  •  

💩💩💩💩💩?

First half Hearts controlled game and Aberdeen tried to hit on break second half teams just swapped roles. Frustrating bit for me was whenever we tried to hit them on break it often started with ball being thrown or passed out to Boyce wide on right side with no support (Ginnelly had moved to left till he was hooked). We desperately needed some pace breaking forward as Aberdeen defence looked very shaky at times

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, McCrae said:

Yes, still far away from being a veteran.

Good managers learnt their trade long before becoming veterans. In fact even decent managers did.

Unknown user

7 points and joint top after 3 games, 2 of which were against 2 of last season's top 3.

We have exciting signings on the way and it looks like our last signing might just be a bit special, and on a 3 year deal.

I'm optimistic

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

7 points and joint top after 3 games, 2 of which were against 2 of last season's top 3.

We have exciting signings on the way and it looks like our last signing might just be a bit special, and on a 3 year deal.

I'm optimistic

Who's the signing? Not seen anything

Bazzas right boot
19 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Barcelona….haven’t you heard? £26M at least by their own valuation. 

Today confirmed for me that we need far  better than, Smith, Haring, GMS and someone to play upfront  with Boyce. Gino just couldn’t get going for all his endeavours. Thought Hailiday was decent for a change. 

Better teams will punish us for being wasteful with very little end product and Lewis was hardly trouble at all in goal. 

Tbf, Gordon was hardly troubled either and there aren't many better teams than Aberdeen in this league. 

29 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tbf, Gordon was hardly troubled either and there aren't many better teams than Aberdeen in this league. 

Hibs 

Celtic 

Rangers 

Possibly St Johnstone on a one off match basis 

Brighton Jambo

I didn’t see the game but just read the match report in the paper and they were very complementary about how we played, said we were clearly the better side and should have won.  

I am going to assume the journalist had no agenda other than to report what he saw so it really is amazing how far that match report differed from the views of so many on here.  It was literally like he was talking about a different game and team.  

7 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Negative results on all fronts!

Happy on one front for you 👍

Negative results for my girls too, thankfully 😷

4 minutes ago, Eno said:

Happy on one front for you 👍

Negative results for my girls too, thankfully 😷

Good to here! Least our new signing has raised our mood after yesterday 

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'm optimistic

This!

20 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

It is Neilson's way. We did nothing after the penalty. 

Probably struggling to replicate the highs of the first half - he reckoned we were "exceptional first half". Guess we haven't got that high a bar.

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Probably struggling to replicate the highs of the first half - he reckoned we were "exceptional first half". Guess we haven't got that high a bar.

By Robbie's standards we were.

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

He had one good save to make. One more than the other keeper.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

He had one good save to make. One more than the other keeper.

Yip, as I said very little to do either. 

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, as I said very little to do either. 

So we agree. Not a great testimomy to our performance is it?

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Hibs 

Celtic 

Rangers 

Possibly St Johnstone on a one off match basis 

Not much between St Johnstone, Aberdeen or hibs Imo. Splitting hairs. 

I'd be amazed if Aberdeen go on a winless and goalless streak again as they did last season to gift hibs (or another team) 3rd  place. Hope they do tho! 

When we beat celtic, some folk rattled on about how poor they were, now we drew with Aberdeen folk are peddling how shite they are. 

It's exhausting reading how many ways posters can play down Hearts and any decent results and the lengths they go to hammer home how shite we are. 

Tbf, it does take  commitment and a  certain amount of imagination. 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

So we agree. Not a great testimomy to our performance is it?

In the final third- no. 

Defensively yes. 

Depends on what Context you put  "performance" in. 

We also missed the other " best chance" apart from the goals- but it was off target. 

The game was very even with a decent Aberdeen side, I'd say disappointing not to win, but hardly surprising. 

Good game from both sides. 

Folk expecting us to win every game home and away and play brilliant attacking football as the opposition gasps at our greatness will be disappointed pretty much every week. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Francis Albert
48 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

In the final third- no. 

Defensively yes. 

We also missed the other " best chance" apart from the goals- but it was off target. 

The game was very even with a decent Aberdeen side, I'd say disappointing not to win, but hardly surprising. 

Folk expecting us to win every game home and away and play brilliant attacking football as the opposition gasps at our greatness will be disappointed pretty much every week. 

Agree for the most part. 

But your final paragraph is just silly. No-one expects that!

59 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'd be amazed if Aberdeen go on a winless and goalless streak again as they did last season to gift hibs (or another team) 3rd  place. Hope they do tho! 

When we beat celtic, some folk rattled on about how poor they were, now we drew with Aberdeen folk are peddling how shite they are. 

It's exhausting reading how many ways posters can play down Hearts and any decent results and the lengths they go to hammer home how shite we are. 

We're part of a league that isn't great.

Neither are we.

Anyone who thinks we played well yesterday is deluded.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Hmfc1965 said:

We're part of a league that isn't great.

Neither are we.

Anyone who thinks we played well yesterday is deluded.

We played just as well (or bad) as Aberdeen. 

Too many sky fan boys in here I reckon. 

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

We did but we hadn't played in Europe in midweek and were blowing out our added in the last 20 minutes.

I don't understand that.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

We did. But more than one shot on target from open play in 90 odd minutes is hardly an unreasonable expectation.

Even if you are a sky fan boy which I am not.

6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Good managers learnt their trade long before becoming veterans. In fact even decent managers did.

Agreed… but I would prefer they had learned their trade elsewhere before coming to Hearts.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Agreed… but I would prefer they had learned their trade elsewhere before coming to Hearts.

Absolutely. 

31 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yes we did, hence the draw.

I'd expect a bit more at home from a Hearts team though. 

Nothing to do with sky or English teams.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

In the final third- no. 

Defensively yes. 

If you think that was a good game you need help, was discussing this with two proper football people who both along with myself said it was a shit game of football.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tbh I haven’t agreed with you in a long long time with your posts but there is truth in what you say. 

We are 3 games in, undefeated, played the so called best team in the league and probably the 2nd most consistent over the last 5 years and not been found wanting 

Our performances haven’t been perfect, far from it, but there is Scope to improve. We have been plugging gaps in the side and personnel additions now coming through which will give us more depth and importantly for Neilson more options to change things about. If you looked at our bench and compared to Aberdeen it was like night and day 

Neilson still needs to get a level of consistency and over a longer period before he has my full vote but I hope he does this and rams it right up everyone’s shunter, and who doubts him, including me.

At the expense of a few bloody noses, that would mean we are being successful and that’s all that I personally care about.

I Like our signing strategy and I am much more optimistic this season, than I was last year, that’s for sure.

Jamstomorrow
29 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

If you think that was a good game you need help, was discussing this with two proper football people who both along with myself said it was a shit game of football.

Obvious who our next manager and coaching team should be then.    ;)

Arthur Morgan

@OneMoreMickey

Hiya pal, Hiya 🤣

What's your name on here pal? 

Sorry guys, this was just a wee message for an Aberdeen fan who lurks on here looking at our league predictions for the season, and who thinks we're a "tinpot yoyo club". You can find him on YouTube, mostly talking about Hearts despite the fact he thinks we're insignificant 🤣

Also, everyone outside the OF are super jealous of Aberdeen apparently 😊 They will have an income of over 26m a year once their new stadium is built, despite the fact they can't even sell double figure thousand season tickets 🤣

Edited by Arthur Morgan

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

@OneMoreMickey

Hiya pal, Hiya 🤣

What's your name on here pal? 

Sorry guys, this was just a wee message for an Aberdeen fan who lurks on here looking at our league predictions for the season, and who thinks we're a "tinpot yoyo club". You can find him on YouTube, mostly talking about Hearts despite the fact he thinks we're insignificant 🤣

Also, everyone outside the OF are super jealous of Aberdeen apparently 😊 They will have an income of over 26m a year once their new stadium is built, despite the fact they can't even sell double figure thousand season tickets 🤣

they will have to sell a lot of conference suites to fisherman not that the oil is drying up.  😂

Governor Tarkin
On 23/08/2021 at 22:04, Lfhearts said:

He's beyond help.

IveSeenTheLight
On 22/08/2021 at 20:21, GinRummy said:

Lewis Ferguson? Where is he going?

I expect Ferguson will be moving on by the close of the window. It seems we've lined up a loan to cover him leaving