Driver showdown with Hearts

Dr. Bapswent

Ryan Gosling

I think it's very dangerous having one of Andrew Driver's parents on Kickback saying he would buy out his contract.

Incorrect he was only 18 when he was frozen out and he had only broken into the team at the Preston friendly. He had 18 months of a 2 year contract to run. So there was no choice sign or freeze.Shabby treatment for a boy who has been totally commited to the club since the age of 14.

That's right he could have sat it out for 18 months and left on a free subject to compensation.

You're correct. Whatever you want to call it, HMFC used their strong position at the time, to force Driver into agreeing to something he didn't really want to agree to.

Now the tables are turned, and Driver is doing the same back. He is using his strong position to force HMFC into agreeing to something they don't really want to agree to. Either pay me what I'm worth, or let me leave. quite right too IMO, after the way he was treated.

So we're reaping what we've sown. I agree a lot of clubs do it. But if clubs want to boss players around when the clubs have the chance, they can't complain if it comes back to bite them later.

Personally, I think we'd be better treating players fairly from the off, and hope to get the same favour returned later on. In Drivers case, that would've meant reaching an agreement that both HMFC and the player were happy with, rather than saying "sign this or you'll not play". But it seems HMFC prefer the "us and them" approach. Which, as it was obviously going to at some point, is coming back to bite us.

I could not agree more if there was honour on both sides. The players when in a bargaining position have no qualms about putting the boot in and we are witnessing this right now with Lampard and Ronaldo.

I repeat that if HMFC had not sidelined Webster, Berra's progress would have been much slower. So if a lad wants to stay with us he could sign the contract and he'll still probably get his big move, like Craig Gordon did. If he doesn't sign it's wrong that he should be taking up a place when we could be blooding a youngster.

Guest JamboRobbo
I could not agree more if there was honour on both sides. The players when in a bargaining position have no qualms about putting the boot in and we are witnessing this right now with Lampard and Ronaldo.

I repeat that if HMFC had not sidelined Webster, Berra's progress would have been much slower. So if a lad wants to stay with us he could sign the contract and he'll still probably get his big move, like Craig Gordon did. If he doesn't sign it's wrong that he should be taking up a place when we could be blooding a youngster.

Agree some players will put the boot in and there is a lack of honour from players at times.

But at the same time, I don't see that as a reason for us to choose to start off on the wrong foot (e.g. sidelinging an 18 year old unless he signs a five year deal). It only leaves the player more unhappy in the future, and with no reason to feel he should show any loyalty back to HMFC when they ask, given how we treated him back when he needed us....

Guest JamboRobbo
I have yet to see what makes him even a good player to be honest

I think he's got a bit of talent. Two good feet. Good pace. Works hard. Needs to improve finishing once he gets in the position sometimes, but that could come with a bit of experience and bit of composure when he gets an opportunity.

He certainly has to keep working hard, but I think he can do well in the game and either become an excellent player for HMFC, or maybe even move on to bigger things if things go well for him.

Archived