Driver showdown with Hearts

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football-news/scottish-football/spl-football/hearts-fc/2008/07/09/agents-wants-showdown-over-in-demand-hearts-winger-andrew-driver-86908-20637198/

Agents wants showdown over in-demand Hearts winger Andrew Driver

Jul 9 2008

HEARTS youngster Andrew Driver's future at Tynecastle could be clarified by the end of this week after his agent demanded talks with the cub.

Owen Coyle's Burnley have already had an offer, which reportedly could rise to as much as ?1million, rejected and other clubs south of the border are said to be interested.

But with only one year remaining on his deal, the 20-year-old is anxious to sort out the next step in his career.

His agent Scott Fisher said: "Hearts have the choice of keeping the player for one more year and getting compensation at the end of that time.

"Alternatively, they can sell him now or give him the contract we are looking for."

The Mighty Thor

Media merde-stirring or a talented and aspirational young footballer looking to develop his career at a properly run football club?

The Old Tolbooth

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he have a contract to honour?

I reckon it's papers stirring things up again to be honest, they see that Vlad has made a wee appearance again and it's starting to kick off once more, it's much more interesting when that happens :)

Geoff Kilpatrick

I thought Driver signed a 5 year deal when Valdas was here?

Guest JamboRobbo

He did. Maybe one of these 3+2 year option things?

Thats what I thought

Had a cracking pre-season

Was benched at the start of the season (how fair and democratic) until he signed a new contract - I'm sure a 5 year contract was reported

To be fair..Scott Fisher is one of the better agents, normally he does'nt have a hidden agenda.(unlike some).

Driver is a 'nice' laddie,possibly flattered by Burnley's interest coupled with the madness that can be Hearts,however feeling he is wanted for the longer term (i.e a contract) would keep him both happy and a jambo.

Jam Tarts 1874

Driver is in the same position as any number of footballers all over the world. However no doubt this will turn into yet another lay into Romanov story.

Spellczech

I expect the club would be nervous of giving him too good a deal at the moment - look at Clum - and TBH Driver has not really shown that he is all that...I don't think he improved at all last season from when Valdas introduced him: His running is straight-line, his crossing is dodgy, his tracking back poor.

frankbroxup
I thought Driver had longer than a year left?

Driver has 3 years left. However having twice the asset value + of players like Nade and earning a fraction of the salary I would imagine something has to give. It a career /job at the end of the day.

Driver is in the same position as any number of footballers all over the world. However no doubt this will turn into yet another lay into Romanov story.

Not yet it hasnt

If he is benched at the start of the season it will. Quite rightly too

Driver has 3 years left. However having twice the asset value + of players like Nade and earning a fraction of the salary I would imagine something has to give. It a career /job at the end of the day.

I guess so - especially when he was bullied into signing the deal in the first place

jamboinglasgow
I expect the club would be nervous of giving him too good a deal at the moment - look at Clum - and TBH Driver has not really shown that he is all that...I don't think he improved at all last season from when Valdas introduced him: His running is straight-line, his crossing is dodgy, his tracking back poor.

you must of been watching a different driver from me last season. THought he had improved alot last season, and that he had learnt to beat a man which he could not do much before. Also he tore apart all the best right backs in the league including Hutton.

frankbroxup

you can be the best crosser in the world but if theres no target man then there is a problem .Check out crosses/ goal; assists to Velicka v Celtic and Rangers at Ibrox last year plus Pospisil v Falkirk 2007. Looked quality to me .Straight line running completely outclassed Hutton a ?9m fullback and beat Hienkel by 20 yards in a 70 yard footrace.

As for tracking back the stats back up that no one bar Eggart completed as many metres per game.

Only a first year pro so things to work on.

Have you considered this is why a club with extremely limited resources is willing to splash ?1m on a junior footballer.

you can be the best crosser in the world but if theres no target man then there is a problem .Check out crosses/ goal; assists to Velicka v Celtic and Rangers at Ibrox last year plus Pospisil v Falkirk 2007. Looked quality to me .Straight line running completely outclassed Hutton a ?9m fullback and beat Hienkel by 20 yards in a 70 yard footrace.

As for tracking back the stats back up that no one bar Eggart completed as many metres per game.

Only a first year pro so things to work on.

Have you considered this is why a club with extremely limited resources is willing to splash ?1m on a junior footballer.

Most of the forwards last season - with the exception of Pospisil who rarely featured - had neither the nous or the speed to get on the end of crosses. Something which needs to be sorted out.

Driver is one of about 5 or 6 from the first team squad I would look to build on this year (Neilson, Wallace, Berra, Jonsson, Miko and Driver).

you must of been watching a different driver from me last season. THought he had improved alot last season, and that he had learnt to beat a man which he could not do much before. Also he tore apart all the best right backs in the league including Hutton.

If Driver cant beat a player for speed then there is no way that he can get passed as his dribbling skills are poor as is his distribution.

Having said that I would be happy for him to stay at Hearts and hopefully if we get a decent coach in he can improve him as a player and make him worth a whole lot more than Burnley think.:fing25:

Charlie-Brown

Driver is a cracking wee player but too often lacks composure and hurries his crosses and shots however once he gains more composure (which he will in time) then like McGeady he will become a valuable player - I think it would be a mistake to sell him too early but if he does go then we do have a couple kids following on behind him who show good promise.

It may be a career/job at the end of the day, but he was perfectly happy to sign the deal. Tell your boy that if he plays well enough he will get the move he wants.

Until he shows he can play with any degree of consistency (only three or four good games last season IMO) he should not get a larger deal.

Bindy Badgy

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought he was benched until he signed the deal and then publicly stated that the contract was too long.

I was under the impression that he had a choice between signing a contract he wasn't particularly happy with or picking splinters out of his arse.

frankbroxup
It may be a career/job at the end of the day, but he was perfectly happy to sign the deal. Tell your boy that if he plays well enough he will get the move he wants.

Until he shows he can play with any degree of consistency (only three or four good games last season IMO) he should not get a larger deal.

Consistency

3 or 4 ???the EEN gave him MOM

Inverness away (substituted half time )

Celtic home and away twice

Rangers home and away

Motherwell home

Gretna home

St Mirren away

Falkirk away

Hibs away

Clearly relishes Old firm games and Derbies

Only stinker His home first match of the season apparently pretty ****ed at being left out v Barca

Consistency

3 or 4 ???the EEN gave him MOM

Inverness away (substituted half time )

Celtic home and away twice

Rangers home and away

Motherwell home

Gretna home

St Mirren away

Falkirk away

Hibs away

Clearly relishes Old firm games and Derbies

Only stinker His home first match of the season apparently pretty ****ed at being left out v Barca

You are biased though. You voted him MOM every game he played ffs! :confused:

One of the unfortunate things about Hearts last season was the old chestnut of MOM was kinda a moot point, more often than not it went something like "whilst many would argue there was no MOM we will give it to (insert youngster like Driver/Jonsson/Glen/McGowan) as they were the only ones trying.

What I would like to ask you is, given that in your opinion he was THAT good in that many games, why is it that the mighty Burnley are his only prospective suitors?

***EDIT***

I meant to add, the three or four game run I thought he played well commenced with Hibs away, the game he played on the right hand side. He managed to keep it going for a few weeks.

We_are_the_Hearts

This is the problem with modern day football, too many players getting bad advice. Agents and parents seeing the dollar signs before a player has properly developed. Driver should get his head down and try and reach the level the likes of Alan Johnston did and the money will take care of itself. Even Johnston got sidetracked and ruined his career, as did Webster, both of whom were a lot more developed and successful than Driver is. This is a big season for him and he should concentrate on the FOOTBALL.

This is the problem with modern day football, too many players getting bad advice. Agents and parents seeing the dollar signs before a player has properly developed. Driver should get his head down and try and reach the level the likes of Alan Johnston did and the money will take care of itself. Even Johnston got sidetracked and ruined his career, as did Webster, both of whom were a lot more developed and successful than Driver is. This is a big season for him and he should concentrate on the FOOTBALL.

He needs coaching though.

And I don't think that these younger players are getting what they need at Hearts. Johnston had Sandy Clark, Jefferies, Brown, Hegarty etc - as well as John Colquhoun and John Robertson. Who does Driver have at Tynecastle to learn from - Ksnavicius?

We_are_the_Hearts
He needs coaching though.

And I don't think that these younger players are getting what they need at Hearts. Johnston had Sandy Clark, Jefferies, Brown, Hegarty etc - as well as John Colquhoun and John Robertson. Who does Driver have at Tynecastle to learn from - Ksnavicius?

Agreed but hopefully we are in the process of sorting this out.

Exactly.

It is really annoying when his mum/dad comes on and tells us that he is starting to get greedy for his share of the pie after such a short time in the first team. Any good player that Hearts have had got their move by playing well. If he gets his agent involved as he no longer likes the deal he is not even half way through is unsuitable now then I expect he will get turfed, and I would suggest that he would deserve it.

I feel really sorry for poorly advised youngsters.

Just checked, he has played 49 games for Hearts. Less than fifty games and he is starting to get too big for his boots?

Sad.

Guest JamboRobbo

Driver is exactly the sort we need to keep at Hearts IMO. He's got a bit to go before he's the finished article, but he's done VERY well at times and if he can iron our the weaker parts of his game he can be a star IMO.

Hope we sort out whatever needs to be sorted to keep him at Tynie for the forseeable future.

Guys like Driver and Johnson are the future.

Seymour M Hersh
Just checked, he has played 49 games for Hearts. Less than fifty games and he is starting to get too big for his boots?

Sad.

Do we know that for sure BH? Could it be an agent spotting an opportunity to make some money while we don't have a manager?

frankbroxup
Exactly.

It is really annoying when his mum/dad comes on and tells us that he is starting to get greedy for his share of the pie after such a short time in the first team. Any good player that Hearts have had got their move by playing well. If he gets his agent involved as he no longer likes the deal he is not even half way through is unsuitable now then I expect he will get turfed, and I would suggest that he would deserve it.

I feel really sorry for poorly advised youngsters.

If you knew the boy or indeed his mum and dad you would know that Driver would honour his contract fully and the money is not an issue at this stage of his development.However it is common knowledge that he was blackmailed into extending his existing contract by being frozen out without any breach. As a result of this I do not think that Driver whould have any hesitation to buy his contract out at the end of next season. Have you considered therefore that the current negotiations could be to the benefit of the club? Can not see any bad advice under those circumstances.

Hearts should not grumble as the club seem assured to receive a massive return on their investment from Driver.

Maybe you consider it better business than having a fragile South American on the treatrment table for 2 years + earning ?10k plus per week.

Only a Game

Maybe the agent thinks that if we are turning down ?750k for him, and value him that highly, that we should be looking to pay him a weekly wage that reflects our valuation.

I dont particularly agree with it as the laddie has only just signed a contract last season but its maybe a bit unfair if he's on a fairly low wage (compared to other players who are not attracting attention and offers) yet he's attracting offers of nearly ?1million.

That being the case though, surely the agent has fecked up here and should have had a release clause in Driver's contract ?

Guest JamboRobbo
Maybe the agent thinks that if we are turning down ?750k for him, and value him that highly, that we should be looking to pay him a weekly wage that reflects our valuation.

I dont particularly agree with it as the laddie has only just signed a contract last season but its maybe a bit unfair if he's on a fairly low wage (compared to other players who are not attracting attention and offers) yet he's attracting offers of nearly ?1million.

That being the case though, surely the agent has fecked up here and should have had a release clause in Driver's contract ?

He was blackmailed into signing it. Was left out for weeks till he signed the new deal. So I can understand why he would be keen to get more money (probably what he considers a fair deal) when the chance arises.

Drylaw Hearts
If you knew the boy or indeed his mum and dad you would know that Driver would honour his contract fully and the money is not an issue at this stage of his development.However it is common knowledge that he was blackmailed into extending his existing contract by being frozen out without any breach. As a result of this I do not think that Driver whould have any hesitation to buy his contract out at the end of next season. Have you considered therefore that the current negotiations could be to the benefit of the club? Can not see any bad advice under those circumstances.

Hearts should not grumble as the club seem assured to receive a massive return on their investment from Driver.

Maybe you consider it better business than having a fragile South American on the treatrment table for 2 years + earning ?10k plus per week.

IIRC, he wasn't the only one that 'persuaded' to sign using heavy handed tactics.

Also.....

I seem to remember Steven Pressley had issues with these tactics.

Does he qualify within the rules?

It is a strange time (a new manager in the offing) for a boy and his agent meeting with the club. Doesn't sound to me that he is keen on honouring his contract. I suspect he wants to go to Burnley, or maybe even Celtic via Burnley.

Geoff Kilpatrick

What this thread shows is the need for proper pay structures throughout the club. Paying the likes of Pinilla ?12K a week when he was here when he did nothing must rankle with players like Driver who, while still raw, should be rewarded for showing the potential that can take him further in his career.

I hope we compromise here and hold on to him. I think he's a cracking player!

frankbroxup
You are biased though. You voted him MOM every game he played ffs! :confused:

One of the unfortunate things about Hearts last season was the old chestnut of MOM was kinda a moot point, more often than not it went something like "whilst many would argue there was no MOM we will give it to (insert youngster like Driver/Jonsson/Glen/McGowan) as they were the only ones trying.

What I would like to ask you is, given that in your opinion he was THAT good in that many games, why is it that the mighty Burnley are his only prospective suitors?

***EDIT***

I meant to add, the three or four game run I thought he played well commenced with Hibs away, the game he played on the right hand side. He managed to keep it going for a few weeks.

The MOM awards in question were given by the Edinburgh Evening News and therfore are independant and I suppose can be varified.

This was not my opinion.

I vote in the website poll as I see it and can rememeber specific games when Eggart,Christophe,Audrey ,Velicka ,Mikie Stewart,Clum (Celtic and Inverness) Lee Wallace Ihbraham Tall ,karapedis and even Jose got the shout.

I do agree with you that in some games because of the lack of quality this was based on effort.

For your info add Plymouth,Man City, Galatasary, Real Mallorca, Norwich City,Reading and Sheffield United.

Only a Game
He was blackmailed into signing it. Was left out for weeks till he signed the new deal. So I can understand why he would be keen to get more money (probably what he considers a fair deal) when the chance arises.

Sounds like he's been badly advised then. If he's signed a contract that he doesnt like after 1 year, no matter what pressure was exerted on him to do so then that appears to me to be bad advice from his agent or at least bad negotiation. Surely a release clause or an agreed hike in money, performance and appearance related, would have been the way to go.

In any case, best that its sorted out now so we dont have yet another unsettled player on the books. In circumances like this you either have to sell him or give him what he wants. There is no point in leaving players to rot for a couple of years if they are digging in for what they want, even though we appear to have threatened to do that to him this time last year.

I have no idea what he's on but he's now a first pick as things stand at the moment and perhaps there's a case for amending his current deal to reflect not only that, but the fact that we are turning down reasonably big bucks for him.

Only a Game

For your info add Plymouth,Man City, Galatasary, Real Mallorca, Norwich City,Reading and Sheffield United.

All those clubs have made a bid for Driver ?

Please let's try to understand that contract law has undergone a radical change recently and will do so more in the near future -- after 'webstergate' we need to be aware of the new rules and regulations before we start talking about the length of the deals and the fees we can expect -- not only to receive but to pay out.

Players can now buy out their contracts after a certain length of time depending upon age etc.

The old days have gone -- we have to move on and work within the current and future legislation -- This is not me trying to defend the situation or agent but attempting to bring some truth and realism to the current position. We cannot remember the good old days and think they apply now.

Whether we like it or not clubs need to work during the contract period now to ensure the players are happy and not just leave it 3 years into a 5 year deal -- they (and we) need to realise that there may be longer contract terms announced but in reality with buy out legislation they are only worth 2/3 years max -- otherwise compensatioon could be limited.

MacDonald Jardine
What this thread shows is the need for proper pay structures throughout the club. Paying the likes of Pinilla ?12K a week when he was here when he did nothing must rankle with players like Driver who, while still raw, should be rewarded for showing the potential that can take him further in his career.

I hope we compromise here and hold on to him. I think he's a cracking player!

But what's a proper structure?

You're always going to get more experienced players coming in and getting paid more than young lads coming through the ranks.

He wasn't blackmailed; he was given a choice.

The club must look after its own interests the best way it can and so does the player. He could have sat it out but because he was on the verge of an England U21 cap he chose to sign. There's far too much of players signing contracts which are appealing at the time but look less so later.

We complain about communication from the club, can we have some from Driver. What is it you really want? A pay rise or a move?

The club must look after its own interests the best way it can and so does the player. He could have sat it out but because he was on the verge of an England U21 cap he chose to sign. There's far too much of players signing contracts which are appealing at the time but look less so later.

We complain about communication from the club, can we have some from Driver. What is it you really want? A pay rise or a move?

Good point - too many fans, at most cluns, especially here, always side with the players. He, along with Berra, are happy to take the money. Many players signed contract extensions, for more money at a time when they knew Vlad's style - then all of a sudden it is a problem. It is not as if they signed the contracts and Vlad's personality and style suddenly changed - they knew what they were signing, as did their agents. No one can have any complaints.

Good point - too many fans, at most cluns, especially here, always side with the players. He, along with Berra, are happy to take the money. Many players signed contract extensions, for more money at a time when they knew Vlad's style - then all of a sudden it is a problem. It is not as if they signed the contracts and Vlad's personality and style suddenly changed - they knew what they were signing, as did their agents. No one can have any complaints.

Only problem is we need to appreciate contract law as in my prev post - whilst I am in sympathy with the view that he signed a deal so hard luck we cannot with the business head ignore the complexities of the law.

Driver can buy out his contract in 12 months and pay us ?150,000 -- or we can sell now for ?750.00 to ?1m (more if we can get it) -- UNLESS we come to a new agreement -- In theory he could walk out now, serve a 4 month playing suspension, pay up contract and he is free -- could join new team in January for example.

frankbroxup

Incorrect he was only 18 when he was frozen out and he had only broken into the team at the Preston friendly. He had 18 months of a 2 year contract to run. So there was no choice sign or freeze.Shabby treatment for a boy who has been totally commited to the club since the age of 14.

Guest JamboRobbo

You're correct. Whatever you want to call it, HMFC used their strong position at the time, to force Driver into agreeing to something he didn't really want to agree to.

Now the tables are turned, and Driver is doing the same back. He is using his strong position to force HMFC into agreeing to something they don't really want to agree to. Either pay me what I'm worth, or let me leave. quite right too IMO, after the way he was treated.

So we're reaping what we've sown. I agree a lot of clubs do it. But if clubs want to boss players around when the clubs have the chance, they can't complain if it comes back to bite them later.

Personally, I think we'd be better treating players fairly from the off, and hope to get the same favour returned later on. In Drivers case, that would've meant reaching an agreement that both HMFC and the player were happy with, rather than saying "sign this or you'll not play". But it seems HMFC prefer the "us and them" approach. Which, as it was obviously going to at some point, is coming back to bite us.

Guest JamboRobbo

In Drivers case, he signed it or he wasn't going to play for HMFC. Fine in the short term, but storing up future problems when the player attracts interest from elsewhere. As we're witnessing right now. We're reaping what we've sown on this.

Sign a new contract or we'll put your promising career which is just starting on ice....for as a long as it takes?

Bullying, blackmail - if I could be bothered looking up a thesauras I'd list some more

I dont know why people just defend defend defend unacceptable behaviour without due thought.

We will never build a talented, motivated and disciplined squad with tactics like that.

Its quite a pathetic way to treat employees, let alone boys still in their teens

Which is it? Will he honour the contract he signed or will he tear it up and buy it out? What I do not consider good business is giving a young player that has played less than fifty games for the club an improved contract for the second time in two years, especially when he has had his fair share of injury concerns.

The MOM awards in question were given by the Edinburgh Evening News and therfore are independant and I suppose can be varified.

This was not my opinion.

I vote in the website poll as I see it and can rememeber specific games when Eggart,Christophe,Audrey ,Velicka ,Mikie Stewart,Clum (Celtic and Inverness) Lee Wallace Ihbraham Tall ,karapedis and even Jose got the shout.

I do agree with you that in some games because of the lack of quality this was based on effort.

As stated with the EEN, manys a week it was a case of youngsters get the reward. I did not see you vote for any other player other than Driver, and laterally I did check.

As for the last seven clubs, how many have bid for him?

Archived