***Official Celtic v Hearts LC Match Thread***

colinmaroon

According to the Evening News Robbie is fully aware of how we need to play to compete in Glasgow!

So 1) he has to get that across to the players and 2) no excuses!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Harry Potter

• daavojaay

• Cruyff

6 hours ago, 160598 said:

Team shat **** all. 2 or 3 players away from a good team. They were set up wrong

No having it. Seen more bravery in a shitting dog. Celtic are not what they were a couple of seasons ago. We should have been in their grills from the off. Some self belief and balls were lacking today. 

2 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

The apologist HR department are crunching the numbers as I type. 

😂

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

When you consider what we used to take there in the mid 80s to the early 90s before all seaters.

🤣

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Halkett’s booking seemed to be for nothing. 

Definitely.  The Jap had been going down like a dying Swan all afternoon.  Had yo get one of his dives rewarded.

32 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Definitely.  The Jap had been going down like a dying Swan all afternoon.  Had yo get one of his dives rewarded.

He's raced right up my chart to no 1 spot for most disliked player.Right wee wind up merchant.Makes naymar look like a weeble.

7 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Yet we beat it two weeks ago.

Their manager is an animal and probably gave a few a belting. It seems that was his “style”  here (Australia).

We got a decent pumping despite 2-3 score. The ECL has shocked them all into action.

let’s get back on the rails and hump the Sheep ( no pun…)

C'mon Hearts, let's be sheepshaggers for a week. 

As for yesterday, shite happens. The first half was torture, especially listening to the commentary creaming themselves over Celtic. Fecking shocking, it was like being back at the euros.

After more than 50 years of it and yesterday was nothing new, what usually disappoints me about Glasgow visits is playing without a threat and a plan that could provide at least the chance of victory, I do not even mind sitting in as long as we can break quickly and in numbers. I think we are building a decent squad and I will continue to support the team and coaching staff, there is plenty to look forward to with crowd restrictions lifting and Derbies etc to come, this is not the Championship, every game is a big game. We move on, this will not define our season, we have a big game next week and Tynie should be rocking again, can't wait.

6 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

I had the misfortune to be there and Kyogo was at it the whole time.he was having sly kicks at our players and then over react if any of them did anything 

The Treasurer
7 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

After one of his many dives, he went down holding the left side of his face, when he got up he was holding the right side.

He's going to be responsible for quite a few yellow/red cards unless referees get wise to his antics

3fingersreid
9 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Offer me a 4-4 goal split with one win and won loss vs Celtic two weeks ago, I'd have taken it happily. Ask me which competition I'd rather get the W in, I'd have said the league.

Wasn't able to watch but it did sound like we were brutal in the first half, with Souttar holding the line. At the same time, since our win, Celtic have been ragdolling opponents.

But surely winning a cup is our best way to silverware ? 
Over the course of the season , even with our fine win against them , they will beat us in points won against us , as they will with the rest of the league ( perhaps not against the other arse cheek ) .

Like yourself I didn’t see it but my mates that did , comments on here and the pundits all said no out ball , that tells me the team was set up wrong . Seems to have changed a bit when Ginelly came on . 

indianajones
9 hours ago, Nobreath said:

received_542803490258017.jpeg

They wont sell restricted view seats to their own fans but will happily rip away fans. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Funnily enough we’ve never really been that fussed about the League Cup before. (“Big Team big cup, Wee Team wee cup” - we even took the piss out of the fact that as it’s on a Sunday you don’t even get a “parade”).

All of a sudden it seems to have become the holy grail.

12 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Usual feeble excuses. Presumably you weren’t around when Vlad was in charge....spending millions and taking the club to the brink of existence 

Again, FTFY......

Lord Nimmo-Smith argued disingenuously that Rangers Mk 1 had not gained a “sporting advantage” from years of financial doping fuelled by industrial-scaled tax evasion.

Celtic enjoy a “sporting advantage” because their financial resources dwarf those of a club like Hearts. 

So, what’s to be done? Find another Romanov-like investor? If not that, then what can be done to take Hearts to the next level?

10 hours ago, davie1980 said:

Yes we did

That happen some times.

But when one team is significantly better than the other, those results will be in the minority (as results and the league table will show come May). But it can be done.

Even when we beat them folk were whining that we let them play for 70 minutes, as if Celtic and their talented attacking players played no part in us being hemmed in.

But today we played them at home, today we played them in front of tens of thousands of Celtic fans, today we caught them in good form and didn't have the luck we had in the first game of the season.

We also tried to park the bus. Again. As we almost always do. Not many expect is to win. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect us to compete.

upgotheheads

Maybe the players were just overawed, lacking belief and confidence in themselves. I'm not one of the Robbie haters but that's his job.

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m not sure if i have enough time to wait for it to come around again but we can only hope. 

Hopefully we both have.

9 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Lord Nimmo-Smith argued disingenuously that Rangers Mk 1 had not gained a “sporting advantage” from years of financial doping fuelled by industrial-scaled tax evasion.

Celtic enjoy a “sporting advantage” because their financial resources dwarf those of a club like Hearts. 

So, what’s to be done? Find another Romanov-like investor? If not that, then what can be done to take Hearts to the next level?

I don’t honestly think anything can be done. That boat has sailed and along with the other clubs I guess we have to accept what’s happened regarding the OF and the power and resources they have.

When we do win something it makes it extra special and that’s something the OF will never feel and they never will.

The time for change was probably in the 80’s with the rise of Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and us mid decade.

Anyone really interested in putting an amount of money in a Scottish team will only really look at the OF.

Very sad.

Fozzyonthefence
24 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Funnily enough we’ve never really been that fussed about the League Cup before. (“Big Team big cup, Wee Team wee cup” - we even took the piss out of the fact that as it’s on a Sunday you don’t even get a “parade”).

All of a sudden it seems to have become the holy grail.

Who is “we”?  There’s only 2 trophies we can win and that’s one of them.  I think most of us would love to see us win it (especially those who haven’t seen us win it, which is the majority of us), although we’d always put it behind the Scottish Cup.  I’d happily take any cup win and bottom 6 over top 6 and no cup.  Even 3rd or 4th is something we’ve done so many times it’s not something to get excited about.  A cup final and winning it is. 

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

After one of his many dives, he went down holding the left side of his face, when he got up he was holding the right side.

He's going to be responsible for quite a few yellow/red cards unless referees get wise to his antics

1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

I had the misfortune to be there and Kyogo was at it the whole time.he was having sly kicks at our players and then over react if any of them did anything 

7 hours ago, Four faces said:

He's raced right up my chart to no 1 spot for most disliked player.Right wee wind up merchant.Makes naymar look like a weeble.

He’s a wee shitehouse. 5 times yesterday he collapsed to the ground off the ball trying to get a Hearts player booked. The one he managed to con the linesman with was actually his worst.

He’ll end up getting a few dull ones from defenders if he keeps that up. If I’m Halkett then the next game he’s getting leathered.

By the look of things the top 2 is sorted so the battle for 3rd place should be interesting, un less JS pulls off a couple of gems.

27 minutes ago, DS98 said:

He’s a wee shitehouse. 5 times yesterday he collapsed to the ground off the ball trying to get a Hearts player booked. The one he managed to con the linesman with was actually his worst.

He’ll end up getting a few dull ones from defenders if he keeps that up. If I’m Halkett then the next game he’s getting leathered.

Yip. One to watch, that wee trickster !

Celtic now have a side that is packed full of players who not only understand clever movement but are also mobile enough to carry it out at pace, that is the reality. I was as frustrated as anybody in the first half yesterday but as much as we were poor, they were fantastic in terms of shape, movement and mobility. I think RN got the selection wrong by picking too many players who were not mobile enough to cope with Celtic’s front 6 i.e.  Boyce, GMS, Haring, Smith, Halliday, Halkett and to a lesser degree even Beni.

I personally thought Mcaneff, Ginnelly and maybe even Henderson and Pollock should have started because they are all very mobile.

However, getting battered (and we were battered) by a team who are simply just so much better happens. We move on and hopefully batter Aberdeen.

RustyRightPeg
41 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Aye as good as he is to watch, he’s also one to watch on that front. He’ll get a few dull ones off the lesser teams if he tries that. 

For once you kind of want the likes of Porteous to stick one on him early doors. 

Ex member of the SaS

Well just as I predicted, stand off and defend you lose! Had we started the game the same as we did in the second half I really do believe we would have won that, or at least taken that to penalties. Was starting to think maybe I was wrong about Robbie but that first half confirms he would rather defend than attack.

TBF the cup has always been the diddy cup as far as I am concerned, never the less we should be doing our best to win it as it's our best option for silverware. I just hope the first half was not a sign of how we start games in the league.

4 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Well just as I predicted, stand off and defend you lose! Had we started the game the same as we did in the second half I really do believe we would have won that, or at least taken that to penalties. Was starting to think maybe I was wrong about Robbie but that first half confirms he would rather defend than attack.

TBF the cup has always been the diddy cup as far as I am concerned, never the less we should be doing our best to win it as it's our best option for silverware. I just hope the first half was not a sign of how we start games in the league.

It won’t be for most league games but you can bet it will be away to the OF.

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Definitely not, but quite a few did.

Bad result/performance = All down to Neilson

Good result/performance = All despite Neilson

Quite straight forward really. I've no idea why I never understood it until now. 

Do I qualify for the soggy pant brigade now?

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

This. He knew it also as was getting the home fans behind him. Away from home this boy will get pelters

2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

same tactics as the scottish cup final, sit in in the first half and only attacking in the second, a carbon copy to his cup final tactics.

Bazzas right boot
15 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Turned the game off when they scored the first as I wasn't going to stay up till 2am on a Monday without some cause. The only surprise this morning was the final score. In that first 30 minutes we offered and did sweet FA. Not that that was any surprise. Classic Hearts in Glasgow.

First 45 we done f all.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Celtic also drop the pace in the send half, it's noticeable.

Even at 2-1 , they didn't seem to have it in them to raise their levels to what the achieved in the first half. It's a shame we gave them a cheap 3rd goal as the game was in the balance at that point.

Celtic are going to start like that in every game, it reminds me of Klopp at Liverpool and Gerrard at rangers in their early days. They go to destroy teams early on and if they get ahead like v Dundee they can score lots.

We rode our luck but at 2-1 we had a good chance and the second half was far more even.

We improved second half but Celtic just simply cannot keep up that frantic pace they start with, so as much as we improved they also couldn't keep their level of the first half up.

Same happened in Europe with them and at Tynecastle, they start well and at a fast tempo but they noticeably drop after about 60 minutes.

They will win lots of games by big scores but will also be vulnerable in games that hey don't get ahead in as they don't have the energy levels to play the game at such a pace for 90 minutes.

Apart from Rangers no other team has the quality to play us of the park as much as Celtic did in that first half imo.

Brauhauser2012

Many people on here guessed the strategy days before the game started. Its the old we can't win away, its a hard place to get a win thought process. Defending in a league game, its a tactic that can win over the course of the season, but in a cup game its a win or lose situation. Sitting back, and let them hammer us for 45 minutes, was really poor tactics, and it was predictable. I'm guessing Celtic probably expected this too, based on previous games. They probably set their team up with this in mind and we played into their hands. The big question now is, are we going to learn from this?

rudi must stay
27 minutes ago, Brauhauser2012 said:

Many people on here guessed the strategy days before the game started. Its the old we can't win away, its a hard place to get a win thought process. Defending in a league game, its a tactic that can win over the course of the season, but in a cup game its a win or lose situation. Sitting back, and let them hammer us for 45 minutes, was really poor tactics, and it was predictable. I'm guessing Celtic probably expected this too, based on previous games. They probably set their team up with this in mind and we played into their hands. The big question now is, are we going to learn from this?

Ange expected nothing he's a poor coach. He thinks Kisnorbo still plays for Hearts. I think the game will give us some confidence

Jambof3tornado

Watched the highlights again, halkett looks worse each time you watch it. As for folk blaming gordon for deflecting the 3rd into the net, away and dont talk shite,he was lucky to get a paw on it!!

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Who is “we”?  There’s only 2 trophies we can win and that’s one of them.  I think most of us would love to see us win it (especially those who haven’t seen us win it, which is the majority of us), although we’d always put it behind the Scottish Cup.  I’d happily take any cup win and bottom 6 over top 6 and no cup.  Even 3rd or 4th is something we’ve done so many times it’s not something to get excited about.  A cup final and winning it is. 

George Burley wasn’t too keen…

What do you get for winning the League cup? 50p?

League placing prize money and European qualifiers are much more valuable. 

If Robbie had won the league cup and finished bottom 6 this season people quite rightly would be calling for his head (more than usual).

Ridiculous statement.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If Robbie had won the league cup and finished bottom 6 this season people quite rightly would be calling for his head (more than usual).

Ridiculous statement.

Personally I'd rather win a major trophy than finish top 6.

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Watched the highlights again, halkett looks worse each time you watch it. As for folk blaming gordon for deflecting the 3rd into the net, away and dont talk shite,he was lucky to get a paw on it!!

It was a freak goal really. 

Smith&Weston

We were absolutely shocking in the 1st half.  Celtic were good but were made to look better by our ultra negative approach.  If you didn’t know Scottish football, we looked like a lower league team in that 1st half.

Our away record in the last 10 years had been absolutely shocking and the main cause is our lack of ambition to actually just go and win the game.

For a club that claims to be in the top 4 or 5 in Scotland, our record in Glasgow is abysmal.

23 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Correct cant blame Gordon for deflecting it in, He had to try and save it!

18 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Ridiculous statement.

Prize money for finishing 4th or 5th is better than winning a trophy?   

Ridiculous statement. 

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, Brauhauser2012 said:

Well, the 2020 Cup Final was the same.  Terrible first half, all the wrong tactics, sorted second half.  Robbie's memory presumably doesn't go that far back.

When Naismith hung up his boots the priority should have been to sign a striker, Gnanduillet isn't the answer, was he injured for Sunday? 

The Treasurer
21 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Not exactly rocket science as they say. But it may be for Robbie.

He's not the first Hearts manager to do that 

Just watched the highlights again

Craig Gordon was Man of the Match If it wasn’t for him it could have a cricket score.

btw that wee J** - a cheating diving wee b*sturd

The Treasurer

By their own admission that is the best sellik have played in a long time. So regardless of how the game went I think it shows signs that we are slowly improving. That first half was far from acceptable but Hearts teams of the past would have lost 5 or 6 nil 

I know I'll get slaughtered for this but I prefer the glass half full approach rather than just doom and gloom 

Francis Albert
19 minutes ago, dustybin said:

When Naismith hung up his boots the priority should have been to sign a striker, Gnanduillet isn't the answer, was he injured for Sunday? 

Family issues.

He wouldn't have seen much of the ball anyway

Edited by Francis Albert